• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2017 (Apr 10 - Apr 16)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What about it? As we've said already, it bombed because it was a subpar product for a casual audience. It was barely a game at launch.

TBF though even if it wasn't there's nothing to suggest it would have set the world on fire sales wise. Typically if the interest is there problems like that aren't fatal to sales. Plenty of broken contentless games sell well.

cheesekao

Optimistic about MH4g? We actually got figures from it and I remember being impressed by them. We also know for fact it sold 1.5 million world wide not including Japan there's no optimism simply figures. Even a generous estimation would but Asia at 500k. Where do you think the rest of the sales came from?
Again, you're assuming that 4G sold zero copies in Japan during that period. Before the WW release, MH4G sold 2.7 million. The fact is that it sold >1.4m WW. How much lower than that is unknown.

Oregano

You want a secret? They probably knew it wouldn't do so hot. The purpose of the game was not to set the world on fire.

But OK, go on, you're also becoming a parody of yourself, dude.

It completely bombed relative to the historic performance of the franchise. There's no two ways about that.

Are you saying PS4 exclusives are inherently loaded with assets that cannot be re-used on other platforms, like Switch?

I'm saying a seriously budgeted PS4 exclusive aimed at the west(by necessity) is going to be using assets which are not workable on Switch.

Kyoufu

If they want to make MH5 more "western" oriented I don't get why they would limit themselves by keeping is PS4 exclusive at first like you keep suggesting. If anything it should beon Xbox One along with PS4 if they want to give it a more western appeal.

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm only giving a possible reason for why they'd do such a thing.

I mean who knows what their actual reasons would be for exclusive PS4 MH5. Sony-funded? Lack of resources/money to go multiplatform on day one? Who knows.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It completely bombed relative to the historic performance of the franchise. There's no two ways about that.

It didn't completely bomb relative to what is what ported from. You keep missing (or ignoring?) that fact.

sense

Optimistic about MH4g? We actually got figures from it and I remember being impressed by them. We also know for fact it sold 1.5 million world wide not including Japan there's no optimism simply figures. Even a generous estimation would but Asia at 500k. Where do you think the rest of the sales came from?

That's literally the least effective way of doing it. Multiplatform by far sell more than exclusives in the west it's not even a competition.
One is shipped and the other is sold through more than 2 million but keep thinking Bloodborne is not 3 million or more by now. If there is a sequel then they will provide an update so just because there is no update doesn't mean it is still sitting around 2 million

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Again, you're assuming that 4G sold zero copies in Japan during that period. Before the western release, MH4G sold 2.7 million. The fact is that it sold >1.4m WW. How much lower than that is unknown.

We're in a media create thread there's of archives it's sales as well as well the massive financial year releases media create does for all the software titles. It's sales in Japan aren't some hidden secret it's all there.

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm only giving a possible reason for why they'd do such a thing.

I mean who knows what their actual reasons would be for exclusive PS4 MH5. Sony-funded? Lack of resources/money to go multiplatform on day one? Who knows.

I'm just going along with your scenario. You said it could be PS4 exclusive at first since PS4 is big in the west lol.

LordKano

Are you saying PS4 exclusives are inherently loaded with assets that cannot be re-used on other platforms, like Switch?

You need to understand, there are PS4 assets (aka : good assets), and the rest (sub-HD trash and all of these), which are more suited for the Switch.
Developers are too dumb to use these mystical techniques that us, gaijins, call "downscale" or "optimize".

Consumers are becoming more aware of their purchases than ever. Every single Street Fighter entry has been successful except for 5. And it was simply because it didnt meet the criteria.

Whaaaa?

Edit: Let's just dig this up again.

[PS3] Street Fighter IV <FTG> (Capcom) {2009.02.12} (¥8.390) - 86.075 / NEW <66,93%>
[360] Street Fighter IV <FTG> (Capcom) {2019.02.12} (¥8.390) - 37.782 / NEW <74,24%>

[ALL] Street Fighter IV <FTG> (Capcom) {2009.02.12} (¥8.390) - 123.857 / NEW

[PS3] Super Street Fighter IV <FTG> (Capcom) {2010.04.28} (¥4.990) - 80.882 / NEW <79,89%>
[360] Super Street Fighter IV <FTG> (Capcom) {2010.04.28} (¥4.990) - 28.454 / NEW <80,32%>

[ALL] Super Street Fighter IV <FTG> (Capcom) {2010.04.28} (¥4.990) - 109.336 / NEW

[PS3] Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition <FTG> (Capcom) {2011.06.30} (¥3.990) - 54.924 / NEW <86,03%>
[360] Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition <FTG> (Capcom) {2011.06.30} (¥3.990) - 12.326 / NEW <70,00%>

[ALL] Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition <FTG> (Capcom) {2011.06.30} (¥3.990) - 67.250 / NEW

[PS3] Ultra Street Fighter IV <FTG> (Capcom) {2014.08.07} (¥4.309) - 42.327 / NEW <71,88%>
[360] Ultra Street Fighter IV <FTG> (Capcom) {2014.08.07} (¥4.309) - 2.543 / NEW <80,72%>

[ALL] Ultra Street Fighter IV <FTG> (Capcom) {2014.08.07} (¥4.309) - 44.870 / NEW

The numbers only keep going down.

cheesekao

We're in a media create thread there's of archives it's sales as well as well the massive financial year releases media create does for all the software titles. It's sales in Japan aren't some hidden secret it's all there.
Facts:
Current MH4G sales (4.1m)
MH4G sales before western release (2.7m)
WW sales (>1.4m)

Kyoufu

I'm just going along with your scenario. You said it could be PS4 exclusive at first since PS4 is big in the west lol.

No, you're misreading my post here. I'm saying that whatever they do, it needs to be on PS4 for it to have a chance at mainstream success in the west. Every 3rd party developer will tell you the same thing. I'm not saying exclusively on PS4 and if it does end up as an exclusive PS4 project then it's not the end of the world, because like in my previous post where I used games like Demon's Souls and Nioh as examples, it could lead to great things for them if their stars align.

LordKano

Whaaaa?

Edit: Let's just dig this up again.

The numbers only keep going down.

You don't even need to dig that far. Street Fighter 3 was a massive failure. If you count it, the 1st Street Fighter was too. If you don't count it, it's still a serie with half of its main entries being commercial failures.

Calm Mind

What about it? As we've said already, it bombed because it was a subpar product for a casual audience. It was barely a game at launch.

Okay. The fallacy I'm referring to is that just because a platform is leading in sales does not equal success. If that were the case, MonHun would be only on mobile.

You need to understand, there are PS4 assets (aka : good assets), and the rest (sub-HD trash and all of these), which are more suited for the Switch.
Developers are too dumb to use these mystical techniques that us, gaijins, call "downscale" or "optimize".

I'm crying.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Informing you that your numbers are wrong.

They aren't my numbers outside of 4.1 shipped I know for a fact. I'm just waiting on why exactly you believe it probably hasn't shipped at least 1 million world wide. it certainly wouldn't take too long to find out what Mh4G has sold LTD in Japan we have all those threads archives here. there really isn't a need for you to keep pointing out those pre western sales ltd.

Kyoufu

I mean, Capcom made a PS3/3DS game called E.X. Troopers. They probably know what they're doing in terms of scaling?

They've been using MT Framework engine for years which is great for multiplatform development. I'd kinda expect MH5 to use UE4 though, which is also available on Switch.

FF franchise already sold more than 2 million worldwide which is why I ignored it and the 2 million cap is important because regardless of relative success for a franchise of MH sales power it's very important. The fact you can't definitely show me a single Japanese game that has over 2 million world worldwide without already managing to do so in a previous gen says it all.

Again, what is up with this cap when I've already told you IP strength is what matters. Now you want a new IP lol

P5, Nier, Nioh and Bloodborne will all do that. I'm sure Capcom sees MH as a bigger IP than all of those bar Bloodborne.

cheesekao

They aren't my numbers outside of 4.1 shipped I know for a fact. I'm just waiting on why exactly you believe it probably hasn't shipped at least 1 million world wide. it certainly wouldn't take too long to find out what Mh4G has sold LTD in Japan we have all those threads archives here.
I said west, not WW.

Oregano

It didn't completely bomb relative to what is what ported from. You keep missing (or ignoring?) that fact.

Neither. Disgaea's 5 performance was always considered to be hindered by being on the PS4, which was considered not to have the audience for it. In addition to that NIS directly said their reason for supporting Switch was because Japanese audiences prefer portables.

Ummm. How? Legally? Technically? I doubt there'd be a problem with either. Care to explain why you think so?

On a Technological basis. If the aim is to sell it in the west then the PS4 exclusive MonHun would have to be cutting edge. It which case a port to Switch would be unfeasible(or at least extremely difficult).

I'm saying a seriously budgeted PS4 exclusive aimed at the west(by necessity) is going to be using assets which are not workable on Switch.

Even if it did low numbers, consider that D5 also bombed on PS4 on a FAR higher install base.

Something didn't click with the Disgaea fanbase. I don't know what, but it didn't.

The high price of the Switch version (also releasing around the time of a budget release of the PS4 original, thanks NIS?) didn't help either. Wonder if JP folks would've preferred a cheaper price but still had to buy the DLC on its own.

LordKano

I mean, Capcom made a PS3/3DS game called E.X. Troopers. They probably know what they're doing in terms of scaling?

They've been using MT Framework engine for years which is great for multiplatform development. I'd kinda expect MH5 to use UE4 though, which is also available on Switch.

I think MH5 will use RE Engine. They seems to be pushing that one hard. I don't know if it's an efficient one, it did wonders to Resident Evil though.
MH5 won't come until at least a year and a half though. I expect MHXXHD, the next entry, to use MT Framework again. They already ported it to the Switch with USFII.

Caran-d-ache-dreyfus-supper.jpg

famous cartoon from the 19th century in France, during the infamous "affaire dreyfus"

It's called family dinner. First they say "let's not talk about the dreyfus case"
and then "they talked about it"

Remind me of MH talks here.

cheesekao

I know, there's a 400k margin of error in there I'm asking what your basing your belief on that it isn't enough. (There's no winning this argument either way I'm just wondering why your so adamant.)
Why I'm not confident MH4U has passed 1m in the west:
1. Asian sales (anecdotal but from what I've seen, it was pretty damn popular with fresh stock constantly selling out)
2. Tailend Japanese sales.

Just FYI, but you are meaning to say it's <1.4. You are confusing the signs.
Noted.

Calm Mind

Neither. Disgaea's 5 performance was always considered to be hindered by being on the PS4, which was considered not to have the audience for it. In addition to that NIS directly said their reason for supporting Switch was because Japanese audiences prefer portables.

On a Technological basis. If the aim is to sell it in the west then the PS4 exclusive MonHun would have to be cutting edge. It which case a port to Switch would be unfeasible(or at least extremely difficult).

We know that's not possible. Capcom can't afford it. Especially with all their cash cows drying up.

No, you're misreading my post here. I'm saying that whatever they do, it needs to be on PS4 for it to have a chance at mainstream success in the west. Every 3rd party developer will tell you the same thing. I'm not saying exclusively on PS4 and if it does end up as an exclusive PS4 project then it's not the end of the world, because like in my previous post where I used games like Demon's Souls and Nioh as examples, it could lead to great things for them if their stars align.

Yeah I understand. I've said I expect it to be PS4 and Switch.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Again, what is up with this cap when I've already told you IP strength is what matters. Now you want a new IP lol

P5, Nier, Nioh and Bloodborne will all do that. I'm sure Capcom sees MH as a bigger IP than all of those bar Bloodborne.

The cap is the basis things are measure against with no prior direct evidence. Otherwise we can theorycraft MH selling 20 million alone on the PS4 despite the fact no exclusive game having done that before because hey it's possible. I'm establishing a precedent and basis for your beliefs. MH hunter isn't even a strong franchise in the west on PlayStation consoles lilke ever so even the franchise strength argument is nebulous at best.

Kyoufu

Yeah I understand. I've said u expect it to be PS4 and Switch.

I think if MH5 is exclusive for PS4 then they'll do something exclusive for Switch as well like they did on Wii and PSP, but who knows. I just know they want better sales in the west so that they're not relying on a single market which is in decline anyway.

Mory Dunz

Assuming it's multiplat, the biggest meltdowns might be in the NPD thread.

imagine if the PS4 version bombs in the west? Some people are gonna live that up. And even call for the next version to not be PS4, etc.

Even more so, imagine if it does manage to go "mainstream" due to the PS4 and sells millions. And blows out the Switch version. There will a whole lot of "See!?"
Oh boy, will be fun lol

Hero

Damn I missed the 2 million bit, touche.

That's kind of my point though, MH was relevant only to Playstation Portables. They're dead now.

Well NIS' new games all seem to be skipping Switch, including the UE4 Crafting game.

More importantly there's no third party game which is making people buy a Switch. Switch's success so far is all down to Nintendo alone.

So you remember how just a couple MC's ago you were doubting that developers that produced games for PS Vita were going to migrate to Switch? They had a Nintendo Direct where a lot of games from those developers announced games. I know you were banned for a short stint, but you should watch it.

d+pad

Capcom needs MH to grow in the west..

Please explain how Capcom "needs" MH to grow in the West.

"Wants" to grow it? Sure, I'll accept that. Why wouldn't they want more sales? "Needs," though? Not so much.

After all, mainline MH games still sell 3-4 million in Japan alone, while spinoffs sell around 2 million (if not more). Are you saying this isn't enough?

Personally, I think it makes sense that Capcom would want to try putting a mainline MH game on PS4, especially given that system's Western sales, but as everyone sane has already stated, making such a game exclusive to PS4 basically would be the most stupid thing they could do ATM. (Such a game *may* sell more copies in Western markets than the 3DS MH games--although I don't think that's a given--but it's also sure to sell millions fewer copies in Japan.)

Multi-platform MH5 makes the most sense to me. Should that happen, though, I'm till not sure the PS4 version is going to sell as well as some here seem to think it will, either inside Japan or in other regions.

To me, there's a fairly limited audience for a game like MH outside of Japan (much like Dragon Quest), and simply making it prettier, etc., isn't going to cause that audience to expand. In Japan, meanwhile, most MH fans seem to love the series for its local multiplayer component, which means the bulk of the fanbase is likely to buy and play the Switch version rather than the PS4 version, assuming both are released there.

I guess what I'm saying is that the best-case scenario I can personally see for MH5 is that it's Switch-PS4 multi-platform, with the Switch version being the "main" one.

Calm Mind

Please explain how Capcom "needs" MH to grow in the West.

"Wants" to grow it? Sure, I'll accept that. Why wouldn't they want more sales? "Needs," though? Not so much.

After all, mainline MH games still sell 3-4 million in Japan alone, while spinoffs sell around 2 million (if not more). Are you saying this isn't enough?

Personally, I think it makes sense that Capcom would want to try putting a mainline MH game on PS4, especially given that system's Western sales, but as everyone sane has already stated, making such a game exclusive to PS4 basically would be the most stupid thing they could do ATM. (Such a game *may* sell more copies in Western markets than the 3DS MH games--although I don't think that's a given--but it's also sure to sell millions fewer copies in Japan.)

Multi-platform MH5 makes the most sense to me. Should that happen, though, I'm till not sure the PS4 version is going to sell as well as some here seem to think it will, either inside Japan or in other regions.

To me, there's a fairly limited audience for a game like MH outside of Japan (much like Dragon Quest), and simply making it prettier, etc., isn't going to cause that audience to expand. In Japan, meanwhile, most MH fans seem to love the series for its local multiplayer component, which means the bulk of the fanbase is likely to buy and play the Switch version rather than the PS4 version, assuming both are released there.

I guess what I'm saying is that the best-case scenario I can personally see for MH5 is that it's Switch-PS4 multi-platform, with the Switch version being the "main" one.

And how exactly would a MH5 multi-platform game even work with the PS4? That is a question no one has asked. Sony does not play with others. No cross platform games over there.

Oregano

So you remember how just a couple MC's ago you were doubting that developers that produced games for PS Vita were going to migrate to Switch? They had a Nintendo Direct where a lot of games from those developers announced games. I know you were banned for a short stint, but you should watch it.

By a lot do you mean 2? Because it was 2 and one of those is possibly more irrelevant than Disgaea 5 proved to be. Nights of Azure 2 was a big surprise but it's not any kind of sea-change.

I wasn't banned when the direct happened.

And how exactly would a MH5 multi-platform game even work with the PS4? That is a question no one has asked. Sony does not play with others. No cross platform games over there.

Doesn't need to be cross platform play. There are plenty of multiplatform games on PS4.

wrowa

Have I missed something? The only truly surprising announcement I can remember is Gust bringing Nights of Azure 2 to Switch as well. That came unexpected.

But apart of that? Senran Kagura has been on Nintendo platforms since its inception and while Fate wasn't on Nintendo hardware until now, them porting Extella to Switch isn't all that surprising either, considering how massively popular Fate currently is in Japan. Strikes me as a bit early to claim that a lot of games from Vita devs are coming to Switch.

Was there something else I'm forgetting right now?

d+pad

I guess I'm assuming online cross-play would be available for Switch and PS4 MH5 players. Is that not likely/possible?

The cap is the basis things are measure against with no prior direct evidence. Otherwise we can theorycraft MH selling 20 million alone on the PS4 despite the fact no exclusive game having done that before because hey it's possible. I'm establishing a precedent and basis for your beliefs. MH hunter isn't even a strong franchise in the west on PlayStation consoles lilke ever so even the franchise strength argument is nebulous at best.

No, because, surprise surprise, we know the franchise's strength. You're arguments are poor. With such logic you can claim a lot of predictions to have no hold as nothing similar has happened prior. What I've shown is how new IP or even old ones, have achieved considerable success on PS4. Several of these are ARPGs. That, alongside PS4's undeniably large userbase overseas, from a company who says it makes most of its money overseas, is the precedent if a PS4 MH5 was ever going to happen.

Shahed

The same way you have a multiplatform for any third party game for PSN, XBL and Steam. Seperate player bases. The Switch version would be the only one with local multiplayer so there'd be no dividing userbase a la DS/PSP and Vita/3DS, and the PS4 would be online only with other players wherever they are

Top Bottom