• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2013 (Apr 29 - May 05)

gtj1092

What released for 3DS last GW. Sales were much bigger last year. Is everything just down this year in Japan?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Vita rose about a thousand units. Second best selling console for a few weeks in a row.

Yup it's doom and gloom huh. /sarcasm

Vita has been extremely consistent these last few weeks. People expected last week for the Vita to drop. It didn't. It's constantly pushing ~20K per week. Don't know what people are expecting. This is much, much better position then a few months go and a much better position than where the Wii U is at.

No

yon61

Vita rose about a thousand units. Second best selling console for a few weeks in a row.

Vita has been extremely consistent these last few weeks. People expected last week for the Vita to drop. It didn't. It's constantly pushing ~20K per week. Don't know what people are expecting. This is much, much better position then a few months go and a much better position than where the Wii U is at.

That's because of the software releases. GW was the only thing that stopped the Vita from dropping.

Soriku

A lot of major SW for the Vita has already released and SW sales are now in a lull with only one Vita game capable of being in the top 20. Golden Week likely saved it from dipping to 15k or something.

Good for 3DS, meh everything else.

marrec

Banned
Does Nintendo usually benefit from golden week more than Sony? 3DS and Wii U went up 40% and 60%, Sony stuff barely went up at all.

More people already own a Vita, no significant software on the horizon either.

But then what caused the lack of a significant Vita bump?

See above really, no reason for people to rush out and buy a Vita if they haven't already since we've pretty much gotten all the significant releases already. I expect a hard drop next week. :(

To be fair, according to Famitsu, these are the previous four weeks:
and just after the price-cut + games period.
Those figures are quite low; higher than before? That's only it couldn't go worse.

E3 ism't going to bring much for Vita besides maybe some first party games and Sony's 1st party is basically worthless in Japan.TGS is a long way away.

Always forget that TGS is Sept & not Aug for some reason, and I'm mostly just interested in PS4 cross compatibility. Throw in a Sony "price drop" (4G model/new bundle) might be enough for a little boost?

Or I'm probably just a little too optimistic.

Spiegel

A lot of major SW for the Vita has already released and SW sales are now in a lull with only one Vita game capable of being in the top 20. Golden Week likely saved it from dipping to 15k or something.

Good for 3DS, meh everything else.

Vita has not had any major software released in its entire life.

Yup. How low can it get? Revelations is in a few weeks, and after that the only releases until Pikmin 3 July 13 is Western crap.

I bet we see a 5k number in June.

I'd suspect 5k being the baseline to expect for the rest of the summer for WiiU. Unless they can pull something out of the hat at E3.

3DS isn't quite as impressive this year it seems. It's still doing nice numbers. Now software on the other hand is mighty impressive on the 3DS. AC sales are just crazy, and it's good to see MH3U to still hang around.

Vita has not had any major software released in its entire life.

Now that is just plain BS. It had tons of great and well produced games already, but none seemed to resonate with the audience really. I'd consider Uncharted and LBP to be major releases, but both didn't manage to set the world on fire. It's definetly not the games, but the platform and Sonys complete lack of vision for it.

Mario007

Vita probably going to be sub 15k next week. They really ought to have date some more games soon.
They really need to, I mean Vita pretty much responds everytime there's any sort of a 30k+ game released so it's not exacty hard for Sony to figure out what to do with the Vita to get it to start selling.

Nibel

01./01. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800) - 208.814 / 758.575 (+44%)
02./03. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.03.20} (¥4.800) - 64.420 / 660.575 (+66%)
03./06. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 47.128 / 3.175.398 (+49%)

This company would be dumb to put their software on anything else than their own hardware

And I expected a huuuuge Vita bump while I didn't expect a smaaaaaaall Wii U bump - kind of weird how things go sometimes

Hope all Japanese GAFFERs had a great GW!

I can't believe Nintendo couldn't release anything for Wii U for Golden Week. -_-

Terrible management. You never want to miss Golden Week

hiska-kun

Chris1964, these are MC numbers for last week (week 17, 2013) for games out of the top 20. You can calculate the % for this week knowing this. ;)

21./08. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.20} (¥8.190) - 5.376 / 384.021

23./13. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.11.15} (¥3.800) - 5.116 / 295.120
24./17. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 5.007 / 2034.652

28./09. [3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.05} (¥5.040) - 4.540 / 269.113
29./14. [PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.03.20} (¥3.980) - 4.368 / 133.791
30./12. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.03.20} (¥7.980) - 4.229 / 159.525

DaBoss

liger05

This company would be dumb to put their software on anything else than their own hardware

And I expected a huuuuge Vita bump while I didn't expect a smaaaaaaall Wii U bump - kind of weird how things go sometimes

Hope all Japanese GAFFERs had a great GW!

The journalists and analysts which claim such things never seem to take into account just how well nintendo software sells on nintendo hardware.

Christmas/holidays.

It would be relative to the platform. For Vita, those would be considered major releases and helped move units.

It's not relative to the platform. Otherwise we could say Game and Wario was a major release because Wii U is selling awfully.

You say what now?

Persona 4 Golden? That Miku game? Soul Sacrifice? Shinovi Versus?

These are not major titles. They only are relative to everything else on Vita. Though I guess you can make a case for SS in that Sony was banking on it to be major.

So when do y'all reckon Luigi's going to pass a million?

I reckon it might take a holiday season or two, but it'll definitely get there.

Hell, even that might be too pessimistic. Ignoring Christmas bumps, it's still holding its own against 3D Marios. It's holding ahead of Galaxy 2, for example.

JoeM86

I can't believe Nintendo couldn't release anything for Wii U for Golden Week. -_-

Terrible management. You never want to miss Golden Week

They did. Pokémon Scramble U had decent retail presence despite being a digital download game and as such, it jumped to #3 in the all-time eShop sales chart (behind Dragon Quest X & Kirby (30Yen VC version)) and last week was #1 on the eShop.

Spiegel

It would be relative to the platform. For Vita, those would be considered major releases and helped move units.

Games and franchises are not relative to a platform.

A game/franchise is a major game/franchise or it isn't. It's that simple.

So, Sony's annual results will be released at 2AM EDT tonight. I'm not expecting any big news one way or another regarding the future of Vita quite yet, but the sections concerning it will be pretty interesting nonetheless:

-Will, per jvm's sources, Sony actually release separate PSP and Vita numbers?
-Will they be realistic with their investors and admit that they might, might ship three million or so worldwide this FY, or will they make another deludedly optimistic projection?

Stay tuned!

I would argue P4 being a major release, but only because it was on the PS2, and came at the very damn end of that console's lifespan

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Who knows what on earth games those Golden Week WiiU buyers bought, because its not like theres a huge range to split 13k between, and yet nothing on the charts.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It is amazing in a way that Vita has sold what it has given the amazing lack of significant selling software.

Assault

God Eater 2 will push some Vitas when it's released later this year, seeing as the original crossed 1m across both versions. It's also coming out on PSP so it will be interesting to see how the sales are split.

Toukiden is coming out at the end of June, so we probably wont see any bumps until then.

Top Bottom