• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2012 (Jan 09 - Jan 15)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
It's also interesting that there are more units capable of playing DSi-only games than standard DS games. I wonder if some devs will use this to avoid some DS piracy since DSi-mode flashcards are much less prolific.

A lot of the final DS games have been 'DSi Enhanced' in some way, pithy use of the camera or perhaps the extra CPU power. However when the game is pirated it just reverts to DS mode, so you can't use the camera and stuff, which for enhanced games who really cares?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
it's sold out in a ton of places, it'll be down to whether they fancy running another pressing off or not.

This is a fatal frame game, they are pretty well know for having low prints and subsequently high value in the second hand market so i see this one as being the same boat.

Damn good reason i went and got it on the day it came out.

for 3DS - it's going to be interesting to see how the "success" translates into the financials (or how it doesn't i guess)

Its "success" will be measured in the long run. It's now the dominant platform in Japan, which means it has already won the most important battle: studios' confidence.

With a lineup this bad it´s no surprise that Vita isn´t selling. The memory card scam isn´t helping either. Atleast there is ToI a DS port to save Sonys *** next week.

Looking at this sales it´s really surprising how SQEX started the development of FFX last week, a testament to Wadas amazing business sense. ;) Way to go if you want to run the series even more to the ground. Ok, there still is a PS3 version...

The Vita lineup is considered bad now? News to me.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Inazuma Eleven is doing just fine

Inazuma is down to 3800 yen as well in a fair few places (NEW), so that should help it bolsters it's sales.

Re: third party games on 3DS - i'm going to say it again. Every 3rd party game seems to be hidden in a corner in most places. I've had to ask about several games.

If you aren't an EXTREMELY big name or a Nintendo first party, you are literally shoved in a corner on your own. It's seriously the weirdest thing i've seen.

Hell, will 3rd parties even care if the 3DS dominates sales if no one buys? I'd have though an Ace Combat on Vita would have matched those numbers even with the poor total figures.

Could it be a case of having too many big names out too soon on 3dS? Everyone is hammering into those three titles right now, i fear for Rhythm Thief and Pandora this week. :/

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Vita needs a title worth everyone's time and money soon, or else...
Sony should just get Polyphony Digital the fuck away from Gran Turismo and get them to make something for the Vita.

That is the worst idea I've ever heard. GT is one of the biggest franchises Sony has right now. If anything they should focus on GTVita.

matmanx1

Vita is bombing. If its pulling these numbers in Japan, I can only imagine the level of failure in North America

I could be completely wrong but I actually think the software situation favors NA and Europe over Japan. There's certainly some very Japanese centric titles in the launch and on the way (Ragnarok, ToIR and Sumioni) but the majority of the announced and released titles seem to favor non Japanese tastes.

I'm really not sure what Sony's plan is for the Vita in Japan other than tread water but if the device can gain traction in overseas markets with titles like the just confirmed Mortal Kombat for Spring then maybe that's where their focus lies. There's certainly more sales potential in markets outside Japan just because of population differences but whether or not the rest of the world is really interested in the Vita remains to be seen.

I don't think it's bad but all of the best games are more in the "great" category than the "system-sellingly awesome" category. It doesn't have a Monster Hunter, in other words, and I think that's the key.

That is the worst idea I've ever heard. GT is one of the biggest franchises Sony has right now. If anything they should focus on GTVita.
Plus it's not like there is some other game they could put the team on that would guarantee success.

Spiegel

What were you expecting for Ace Combat and Spirit Camera?

Inazuma Eleven is doing just fine.

I'm not interested in making lists or in carrying this conversation any further because it won't go anywhere but except some of the launch games, Mario, Zelda and One Piece everything else has tanked or underperformed compared to other comparable games.

It's more than fine if you think otherwise.

DCharlie

With a lineup this bad it´s no surprise that Vita isn´t selling

Worst line up in the history of gaming - never seen anything like it and with one TERRIBLE game or two a week for the next month or so i have -no idea- when they are going to get around to releasing something quality.

Depends on whether you're talking from a Sales-Age perspective or not. In terms of realistic ability to drive hardware sales beyond the early adopter crowd, yes, it's quite awful.

As for the West, well... it might have a respectable first month, but I predict that there'll be at least two NPD months this year of DSi>Vita.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Inazuma is down to 3800 yen as well in a fair few places (NEW), so that should help it bolsters it's sales.

Re: third party games on 3DS - i'm going to say it again. Every 3rd party game seems to be hidden in a corner in most places. I've had to ask about several games.

If you aren't an EXTREMELY big name or a Nintendo first party, you are literally shoved in a corner on your own. It's seriously the weirdest thing i've seen.

Hell, will 3rd parties even care if the 3DS dominates sales if no one buys? I'd have though an Ace Combat on Vita would have matched those numbers even with the poor total figures.

Could it be a case of having too many big names out too soon on 3dS? Everyone is hammering into those three titles right now, i fear for Rhythm Thief and Pandora this week. :/

Don't worry for Rhythm Thief R. For "Pandora" (you meant Beyond the Labyrinth, why Pandora? O_O )I don't know. XD However, last week we have seen something like Nicola in top 50, charting even higher than Rocket Slime 3. And it was a week with growth. So, let's just all leave to legs, for certain little games (Ace Combat should have done more, however)

I don't know - isn't this usual for every console?
Fatal Frame series did on average 65k on PS2 and Wii - a spin-off as Spirit Camera couldn't manage more than that. As for Ace Combat - it's just had the demo, and Nintendo consoles are not usually known for this kind of franchise. Btw, of course the big 3 are drawing all the attention but as they'll decline in their sales, they'll leave space for the new releases.
Rhythm Thief could be a sleeper hit though.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
it's sold out in a ton of places, it'll be down to whether they fancy running another pressing off or not.

This is a fatal frame game, they are pretty well know for having low prints and subsequently high value in the second hand market so i see this one as being the same boat.

Damn good reason i went and got it on the day it came out.

for 3DS - it's going to be interesting to see how the "success" translates into the financials (or how it doesn't i guess)

Damn. Well that's good, at least there is demand for it. I think Nintendo knows though that this has the potential to sell better then your average Fatal Frame game, hence the reason for releasing it in NA (and I'm assuming other countries?). So surely Nintendo will send out another shipment.

Btw, you mind giving any impressions?

DCharlie

don't know - isn't this usual for every console?
Fatal Frame series did on average 65k on PS2 and Wii - a spin-off as Spirit Camera couldn't manage more than that. As for Ace Combat - it's just had the demo, and Nintendo consoles are not usually known for this kind of franchise. Btw, of course the big 3 are drawing all the attention but as they'll decline in their sales, they'll leave space for the new releases.
Rhythm Thief could be a sleeper hit though.

to have 3rd party games specifically tucked in the corner or , in many cases, having to ask for the game by name at the counter?

No - that's far from normal. I've even got to the point that i think the white cases were a design fault when it comes to stores. A lot use white shelving and if the games are stacked side on then they can be hard to spot (i am only semi serious here!)

actually - i'm off out to see if i can get Rhythm Theif , Wipeout and Pand... i mean Labyrinth right now. (i have NO IDEA where that brain fart came from)
Btw, you mind giving any impressions?

if i don't get any of the above, i'll put an hour in and then let you know how it is. It's 00:38 here so should be perfect to shit me up a bit ;)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I hope Vita does as badly in the US/Euro forcing a price cut.

wrowa

I'm not interested in making lists or in carrying this conversation any further because it won't go anywhere but except some of the launch games, Mario, Zelda and One Piece everything else has tanked or underperformed compared to other comparable games.

Sorry, but both of your posts are useless if you aren't willing to actually give proof of what you've been saying.

Without it you are just a silly drama queen :p

Opiate

What third party 3DS games have exceeded or even simply met expectations?

Monster Hunter will exceed expectations if it hasn't already. One piece may have. Did anything else?

Laguna

Banned

What good games were released after Vitas launch? That´s the problem. And if you aren´t that much into Uncharted you basically have to deal with mediocrity like Ridge Racer, Dynasty Warriors, Army of Hell, LoA and Golf and some decent ports of niche titles like BlazBlue and Marvelvs Capcom. The quanity wasn´t the problem at launch but the games were not that interesting and obviously Vitas very low hardware and especially software sales tell the same thing.

DCharlie

I hope Vita does as badly in the US/Euro forcing a price cut.

I hope when all the software fails that a load of these software houses have to fire people or , even better, go out of business too!

duckroll

Monster Hunter will exceed expectations if it hasn't already. One piece may have. Did anything else?

Definitely met/surpassed expectations:
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
Tales of the Abyss

Would probably meet expectations if the publisher is realistic:
Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle
Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine / Dark
Winning Eleven 3DSoccer

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
chubigans said:
GT is one of the biggest franchises Sony has right now.
Last few iterations PD has been doing their best to undo that fact.
At the very least, offshots like PSP version could have been done in 3 years early and likely to more commercial success if they let a non-mismanaged studio handle it.

Street Fighter and Mercenaries? Although those may be more WW than Japan only. Inazuma 11 seems to be showing legs. Not bad as we thought before. Idk how did Tales of Abyss do?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Tales of the Abyss

Winning Eleven 3DSoccer

I would say Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D probably met expectations. It didn't sell extremely well, but it is The Mercenaries...

I don't think RE Mercenaries, Samurai Warriors, the last Gundam game and IE tanked or were lower the expectations.

DCharlie

massive overstock on this one so i doubt anyone was wearing their reasonable hat on expectations.

I'm waiting for 2980 yen before adding it. nom nom nom, more 3dS games.

duckroll

massive overstock on this one so i doubt anyone was wearing their reasonable hat on expectations.

Is it overstock or is it just long term supply? One thing that Level5 has been very successful with when shipping titles like these is that they can ship a ton, actually sell them out over time to kids, and actually ship more over the months. The only time so far where this backfired significantly was the original Ninokuni release on DS.

Fredrik

One step closer to a Vita price cut. Hopefully it'll happen before the western launch. Day 1 for me in that case. Bring it Sony!

wrowa

Don't see how that matters anymore. IE surprised most people when it showed its legs and continued to sell over the holiday perdiod, especially because there wasn't the price collapse many people predicted after the first week. IIRC the first shipment was 400k, and the game is very short of selling through it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Oh yes, I missed that. Thanks.

I'd say also One Piece probably surpassed expectations, since it's at 213k, according to Famitsu, at least.
...And even DoA: Dimensions. Tecmo said that the WW result of the game was good, but since we don't know about their domestic expectations, we can ignore it in Japanese discussions XD
And then, there are all those games such as Nicola, Shin-Chan, which are little for definition, but with legs. And at least Nicola demonstrated that it's having probably good legs.

Probably, Dragon Quest Rocket Heroes 3 is underperforming compared to the probable expectations. ...And Pro Baseball Spirits. These are the first coming to my head.

Really interested to see the next 2 months and how it plays out for the Vita, don't want to buy a $250 paper weight :lol. Ugh I wanted this system to succeed so badly, don't mess this up Sony!

neo2046

[NDS] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin The Lord Of Elemental - 初週 86,105
[PSP] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin II - Revelation of Evil God - 初週 81,896

DCharlie

Is it overstock or is it just long term supply? One thing that Level5 has been very successful with when shipping titles like these is that they can ship a ton, actually sell them out over time to kids, and actually ship more over the months. The only time so far where this backfired significantly was the original Ninokuni release on DS.

overstock plus fairly significant price drop doesn't suggest a great tactic, but i guess it's factored in.

Level5 definitely made sure there's more than enough NiNoKuni to go around... forever!

Orgen

Tales of the Abyss

Winning Eleven 3DSoccer

Didn't Namco expect to sell 250K from ToA?

I'd say also One Piece probably surpassed expectations, since it's at 213k, according to Famitsu, at least.
...And even DoA: Dimensions. Tecmo said that the WW result of the game was good, but since we don't know about their domestic expectations, we can ignore it in Japanese discussions XD
And then, there are all those games such as Nicola, Shin-Chan, which are little for definition, but with legs. And at least Nicola demonstrated that it's having probably good legs.

Probably, Dragon Quest Rocket Heroes 3 is underperforming compared to the probable expectations. ...And Pro Baseball Spirits. These are the first coming to my head.

This might be stretching, but what about Senran Kagura? I have no idea what the expectation for a niche boobs game would be, but it did move over 60k.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
As much as I think the Vita Japanese launch lineup is solid, meaning that the games are really good, it's true that there are next to none system sellers there. I wonder if Gravity Daze will be able to stir up sales.

In my opinion, total bombas were Dead or Alive: Dimensions, Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 3 and Ace Combat now.
Also Senran Kagura did very, very well (80k IIRC).

It's also interesting that there are more units capable of playing DSi-only games than standard DS games. I wonder if some devs will use this to avoid some DS piracy since DSi-mode flashcards are much less prolific.

think you've got your figures wrong there

Top Bottom