• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2014 (Jan 06 - Jan 12)

Kandinsky

There was a chance Mario 3d world create some kind of positive word to mouth. But yeah.. Now let's see with Mario Kart. I'm not sure there is an audience for Smash Bros that is not already a Nintendo fan enough that they wouldn't have the console already. We'll see.

Imo Smash Bros will move more consoles than MK8.

saichi

YTD change compared to last year:

3DS : -37%
Vita : +142%
WiiU: -26%

I think it's safe to say that the 3DS has peaked already, Vita will end up doing ok in Japan and WiiU's last hopes are Mario Kart Wii U and SSB4.

Everything is down year-on-year.

Oh, wait, not everything. Seems there is a shining light in that cavern of darkness. A beautiful light.

the only reason this happens is because the bar for VITA was set so low in 2012.

I wonder if the PS4 can fit in the Wii U coffin.

Take VITA TV with it too!

Vita might get a PSP or PS3 like turnaround if it can hold 15-20k for a few months yet.

I don't think the 3DS is going to make it past 20m this year, but probably the next year.

WiiU is kinda fucked.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't make the numbers up, dude. I just comment on them.

The trend is clear.

In retrospect, I also notice some users go something like this "oh you laugh at the Wii U numbers? Then lol Vita... And look how awesome the 3DS is... Did I mention how kingly the 3DS is?"

I don't post much in Media Create, but that's what I just observered though. :p

Sure the Vita numbers aren't really high but it had a decent turnaround after the price drop.

Maedhros

Speaking of trends

Do you think Knack (Runner up Game of the 2013/ Platformer of the year 2013) will also outsell SM3DW in Japan as it did in the UK?

That would be hilarious... but I hope not: SM3DW is a pretty amazing looking game.

There was a chance Mario 3d world create some kind of positive word to mouth. But yeah.. Now let's see with Mario Kart. I'm not sure there is an audience for Smash Bros that is not already a Nintendo fan enough that they wouldn't have the console already. We'll see.

Nintendo showed they can save a handheld, I have never seen them save a home console they make too many mistakes with home hardware and once the negativity had been out there about this platform a great game like 3D World has less of a chance salvaging it

I just want this thing to stay alive long enough for X

I don't put my faith in Wii U Zelda not having SS type controls which is a turn off

Bayo 2, MK8, X that is really I am looking forward to wish one of them came out this month lol

SmokyDave

the only reason this happens is because the bar for VITA was set so low in 2012.
2014 Vita is up on 2013 Vita. 2013 Vita was up on 2012 Vita. 2012 Vita was up on 2011 Vita.

Meanwhile, 'other' systems are sliding slowly toward the grave.

tortoise-and-hare.jpg

Speaking of trends

Do you think Knack (Runner up Game of the 2013/ Platformer of the year 2013) will also outsell SM3DW in Japan as it did in the UK?
I think there's a chance that Knack (Runner up Game of the 2013/ Platformer of the year 2013) might indeed, as I believe it's bundled with the PS4.

lefantome

I wonder what is happening in the japanese market.
Consoles aren't selling.

3DS is far below the DS and is going down fast
Vita is not even comparable to the Psp.

Current gen home consoles are mostly done.
Wii U is doing terribad.

Will they switch back to home gaming buying a lot of Ps4?
or has the market shrunk by a very large percentage?
Are the japanese switching to mobile games?(this would explain the stragies of SE, capcom etc..)

Valkyria

Banned
In retrospect, I also notice some users go something like this "oh you laugh at the Wii U numbers? Then lol Vita... And look how awesome the 3DS is... Did I mention how kingly the 3DS is?"

Pretty much, but in all Neogaf.

Glass Rebel

A reason why I read these threads is to see Dave and Sammy post their usual posts and people get up in arms over them :lol relax guys

liger05

Wii U releases

01/15 Dr. Luigi & Saikin Bokumetsu
01/22 Trine 2: Mittsu no Chikara to Fukashigi no Mori
02/01 Wii Fit U (Balance Board and Fit Meter Set)
02/05 Monster Hunter Frontier G (Memorial Package)
02/06 Puyo Puyo Tetris
02/13 Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze

Nothing is stopping the Wii U going back under 10k in rapid quick time.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I have mixed feelings about Wii U failing like that all over the world. I'm sad, because i always liked Nintendo and their games, but i'm also happy because maybe that will open Nintendo's eyes, so they start looking at competition, see what they do, and try to improve on that, instead of living in their own little world.

NotLiquid

Yeah, at this point I don't think there's any point in contending the notion that Wii U is going to be last place in the race. The bigger question is whether or not it can at least salvage itself and maintain decent numbers. Mario Kart 8 still has a chance to do that but it's probably the last shot Nintendo has at using a best-selling franchise. Luckily it's probably their most successful mascot-driven one, but it really should have been a Christmas game. It's likely too little, too late.

Sure the Vita numbers aren't really high but it had a decent turnaround after the price drop.

Vita has been outselling Wii U for the majority of the time it's been out so you are seeing things or conflating different sales threads.

Looks like Vita will be okay in Japan.
I wonder what RemoetPlay will do for the Vita in Japan.
Wasn't some Sony dude saying that the Ps4 launch bumped the Vita sales in the west?

Looks like 3DS peaked already. I wonder what Nintendo will do about it since the 3DS is their only remaining source of profit.

Ushiwaka

The stage is clearing for the double-whammy of the Vita and the PS4. Move over, there's a new king in town.

(Vita TV is the court jester).
haha :) It will also be interesting to see how PS4 will affect Vita sales in Japan. Not expecting much, but it will be interesting anyway :D

Is it really "hanging in there?"

Well, the numbers are better than those <15 weeks. If it can stay this way, I would definitely call it a "hanging in there".

chadboban

Ouch, the holidays are officially over. Seems like everything has seen a sharp drop. Kirby seems like the only one that's having a good week.

liger05

Wasn't some Sony dude saying that the Ps4 launch bumped the Vita sales in the west?

There was no real proof of this considering it was holidays and the Vita had all sorts of cheap deals on offer.

Code:
 3DS # |     60.154 |    176.555 |     92.661 |    236.709 |    371.920 |  14.898.629
The 3DS will continue to decline from last year until the arrival of the 2DS/and or price cut. Nintendo has played all all their software cards. I find it very surprising that 3DS in 2013 under performed 2012 even thoug Pokemon and MH have released on it.

Good start for the Vita, it has outperformed last years in the same time period by 63k.

Next week will be interesting for whether the Vita stays over 30k or not.

YTD change compared to last year:

3DS : -37%
Vita : +142%
WiiU: -26%

I think it's safe to say that the 3DS has peaked already, Vita will end up doing ok in Japan and WiiU's last hopes are Mario Kart Wii U and SSB4.

Well I'd say if Sony can drop price again this year to 16k Yens then Vita has good chance of getting good part of marketshare this year as it finally can show good library of titles.

Foshy

Looks like 3DS peaked already. I wonder what Nintendo will do about it since the 3DS is their only remaining source of profit.

I believe we might see their next handheld very soon, maybe even holiday 2014. They already released nearly all of their heavy hitters on 3DS. Coupled with a 9900 yen 2DS it will have some legs though.

Top Bottom