• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2016 (Jan 11 - Jan 17)

duckroll

What did you think of what you played?

Terrible camera, really terrible camera, super terrible camera, super dull introduction, really poor attempt at trying to streamline the player through mundane tutorial after tutorial without letting the player just go out and explore on their own. After about 10 minutes I couldn't be bothered to waste more time on the demo. It reminds me of Starbound in Early Access.

Scum

Yeah, the previews I've seen of it all look quite bad.

Terrible camera, really terrible camera, super terrible camera, super dull introduction, really poor attempt at trying to streamline the player through mundane tutorial after tutorial without letting the player just go out and explore on their own. After about 10 minutes I couldn't be bothered to waste more time on the demo. It reminds me of Starbound in Early Access.

You had one job, Square Enix. One job...

Ferr986

Seems like DQ Builders suffers from trying to guide the player too much, atleast for the demo.

I expect the final game to not be as restrictive though, otherwise it would be missing the point of what a Minecraft styled game should be.

Mr Swine

Banned
I think DQB will be fine, it will still sell big amounts on Vita and PS4 despite having a demo that is somewhat not good

Yeah, as others have said, maybe that handholding is limited to that demo stage. The camera, however, yeah...

duckroll

I don't think the handholding is just for the demo. The demo is the first chapter of the actual game afaik, and you can carry your save over. It's just structured this way because they're trying to cater to non-Minecraft fans, but they're going about it in totally the wrong way imo.

crinale

I don't think the handholding is just for the demo. The demo is the first chapter of the actual game afaik, and you can carry your save over. It's just structured this way because they're trying to cater to non-Minecraft fans, but they're going about it in totally the wrong way imo.

Save never carries over to the actual game.
And as for spoon-fed tutorial, well.. ironically by lurking forums and asking my friends that is what actually people are liking. But I also see the point of tutorial being too restrictive, so it's a matter of preference IMO.

Kyoufu

Huh. I thought the save data from the demo didn't carry over?

duckroll

Yeah I just checked, and apparently this is one of the few demos of this sort where you CAN'T carry the data over. Weird.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So a week or two ago I noted that I felt that there was an opportunity to do a more "game-heavy" version of the builder genre targeted at Japan using the strengths of the Dragon Quest series.

I realized that what I meant might not have been entirely self evident, and not a lot of people on GAF play this genre, so I thought I'd share a couple of short trailer to help illustrate this.

Here's what the newest version of Terraria looks like, which had a lot of success in Japan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nXdtDgpPeE

And here's the newest update of Starbound, a game that the developers still feel needs two major updates before being launch ready: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waZGJjJLFps

The conceptual space of what the builder genre does in 2016 is a bit different than when Minecraft first launched, and I feel they would have been better off working in that than making something notably basic.

Mind, I would imagine something that's probably not quite as intense as the videos I just linked given the IP, but based on what they've shown of Builders, it mostly seems to involve just harvesting resources, putting on some basic equipment, running into 5-6 types of Dragon Quest monsters that you whack at, and building the towns. I think there might be some really basic quests, but I'm not 100% clear on that.

For Dragon Quest Builders, here is someone explaining the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbRm8hdLu-I

Skipping through the 20 minute to 1.5 hour gameplay videos they've put up doesn't really give me the impression of much else either.

It strikes me as what I'd imagine a very early-access version of the game's concept to be. Maybe there's all sorts of interesting other things in the game, and they're just not showing them, but that's all I've seen.

It could certainly prove to be enough for the game's audience as well. Maybe simply building and having some light exploration and combat features with a Dragon Quest skin is a slam dunk, but this is where my skepticism comes from.

casiopao

Hortensia Saga isn't really among the top tier of mobile games. It's like hoping for Phantasy Star Portable to sell like Monster Hunter.

They list it in the "Over 500 million yen a month" section of their financials though.

Oh. No wonder. Is there any chart which only shows jp game ranking only? I wanted to check what games is doing really well now. And whether the new game from cc2 new world is doing right now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh. No wonder. Is there any chart which only shows jp game ranking only? I wanted to check what games is doing really well now. And whether the new game from cc2 new world is doing right now.

You can get a monthly top 10 here: https://www.appannie.com/indexes/all-stores/rank/overall/?month=2015-11-01&country=JP

Or the current statistics here, but it makes way more sense to go into the app you want and check the ranking chart and look how it's done over the past 90 days: https://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/top/japan/overall/?device=iphone

You can flip over to Android as well, though iOS is usually the more competitive market.

It's also worth keeping in mind that the mobile market is actually growing, so something that has static revenue is going to be going down the charts over time. Like Chain Chronicle is still listed as a 500+ million yen a month earner, but it charts way lower than it used to a couple years ago.

Something I read earlier that I thought might be relevant here, since I've seen Digimon's demographics discussed a few times:

http://www.digimonworld.org/2016/01/cyber-sleuth-producer-talks-about.html

Habu also pointed out that Digimon has become progressively more successful as a result of Digimon World Re:Digitize on the PlayStation Portable and Digimon Collectors on mobile phones shifting its age demographic higher. Implicitly, Habu is referring to the franchise's failure to appeal to children during the Xros Wars era--a time which proved devastating for the brand, in which less than 1% of all Japanese households were watching the TV anime, and initially strong toy sales ultimately petered into losses for Bandai.

casiopao

Something I read earlier that I thought might be relevant here, since I've seen Digimon's demographics discussed a few times:

http://www.digimonworld.org/2016/01/cyber-sleuth-producer-talks-about.html

I don't think using Xros Wars as proper gauge to see whether digimon is relevant towards children is the correct thing to do though.

Especially when Xros Wars is deemed by both new and old fans to be a very bad products. Not to forget the greatest xros wars second season which is sooo bad that it makes Gundam Age looks good.

Sandfox

I don't think using Xros Wars as proper gauge to see whether digimon is relevant towards children is the correct thing to do though.

Especially when Xros Wars is deemed by both new and old fans to be a very bad products. Not to forget the greatest xros wars second season which is sooo bad that it makes Gundam Age looks good.

While the numbers were never that low, Digimon dropped off after Tamers and just continued to shrink as time went on.

casiopao

While the numbers were never that low, Digimon dropped off after Tamers and just continued to shrink as time went on.

I agree that Digimon is getting nicher and nicher each days but saying that kids don't care about digimon simply base by how bad Xros wars perform is like saying kids dont like Gundam base on how Gundam Age perform here. Which is stupid conclusion.

Busaiku

Isn't Gundam's primary audience adults?
It doesn't get the highest ratings, but typically sells well on home releases.

jnWake

Kirby is charting, nice legs. I wonder which plans Nintendo has for the IP. Technically, we might see another 3DS game since it got only one retail release.

HAL should try again with that "full" 3D Gamecube Kirby they tried once. They would need to tone down Kirby's flying abilities but it'd be cool to finally have Kirby in 3D.

kirby-gamecube-proto-01.jpg

Sandfox

I agree that Digimon is getting nicher and nicher each days but saying that kids don't care about digimon simply base by how bad Xros wars perform is like saying kids dont like Gundam base on how Gundam Age perform here. Which is stupid conclusion.
While that's not enough evidence to say kids don't care about the franchise, Saver was 10 years ago so there really isn't much else left. Toei/Bandai screwed up by waiting so long to release a new series after Savers put things on the rise a bit and it wasn't what anyone wanted. What we're seeing now is the results of that mistake, but it seems like a pretty good deal for the older fans.

Also, I would probably argue that kids don't care about Gundam either lol.

duckroll

The audience for "Gundam" is practically everyone. The actual audience for a specific Gundam product depends on the product a lot. Adults are not the ones going to arcades playing that stupid Tri-Age card game for example, while kids are not likely to be a significant part of the audience buying a PG Unicorn kit, on the other hand teenagers likely make up a large portion of the Extreme Versus audience, and so on. The same goes for the anime shows, different ones are targeted at different demographics and they're not all successful.

ZoddGutts

Speaking of Digimon World Re:Digitize, wonder what Tri-Crescendo is doing. Didn't they also work on Tales of Zestiria, maybe their also working Berseria?

casiopao

Nahh. Gundam target all ages here. It just skew a bit more to teenagers or adult. After all, current gundam which is iron blood orphan also cause some controversy to japanese parents as they think the Mc is too cold blooded.

HAL should try again with that "full" 3D Gamecube Kirby they tried once. They would need to tone down Kirby's flying abilities but it'd be cool to finally have Kirby in 3D.

kirby-gamecube-proto-01.jpg

It would be great, but I'm not holding my breath. The games Nintendo has been making for the 3DS recently all reuse assets/engines from previous games and seem to have had short development times. I don't see them making another ambitious game on the 3DS again. If there's a new Kirby, it'll most likely be 2D and look almost exactly the same as Triple Deluxe. Sad, but they're basically done with the system.

Fisico

Fun fact : When I went to Korea a few years ago, I asked some Korean friends to led me to the Gundam Base (a shop where you can buy Gunpla) they all reacted the same way which was basically "Oh yes Gunpla, when we were kids we used to build a lot of them, but now not so much anymore"
And in said Gundam Base most of the customers were kids too.

So yeah like all the posts above said it mostly depends on the product.

Did I miss something or sony announced they stopped the production of Vita TV ?

Today a friend of mine was looking for it but it was sold out (?), I was checking both Bic Camera and Yodobashi and it's not on stock anymore, on Amazon.jp the price is higher than the official one

L~A

Did I miss something or sony announced they stopped the production of Vita TV ?

Today a friend of mine was looking for it but it was sold out (?), I was checking both Bic Camera and Yodobashi and it's not on stock anymore, on Amazon.jp the price is higher than the official one

Quite possible. Media Create has stopped tracking the PSV TV separately, from the looks of it. Hard to think the two would be unrelated.

Looks like Nintendo has a new Paper Mario coming out for Wii U. That might be a good candidate for a May-July release along with Pikmin 4 around August (or potentially the other way around). If it is a true sequel along the lines of A Thousand Year Door, it could do 300k+.

Ōkami

We've discussed how crazy March is already, well this is February.

88fa7164.jpg

Obviously this is counting multiple SKUs of the same game.

duckroll

I don't think this is really unusual. Publishers want to get everything they can out before March for the financial year results, so anything that can make it out in Q1 usually gets released in Feb or March!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Ōkami;193050042 said:
We've discussed how crazy March is already, well this is February.

88fa7164.jpg

Obviously this is counting multiple SKUs of the same game.

There have been weeks PS2 had so many releases in a single day.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Fun fact : When I went to Korea a few years ago, I asked some Korean friends to led me to the Gundam Base (a shop where you can buy Gunpla) they all reacted the same way which was basically "Oh yes Gunpla, when we were kids we used to build a lot of them, but now not so much anymore"
And in said Gundam Base most of the customers were kids too.

So yeah like all the posts above said it mostly depends on the product.

You didn't quoted me in that post? :D

RexNovis

Banned
So I did a bit of a marketshare comparison for PlayStation and Xbox consoles each gen in Japan in order to show just how truly massive the drop in marketshare is for XB1 even for an Xbox console in Japan. Here's what I came up with

Code:
PS4:XB1 [i]LTD[/i] = [b]37:1[/b] marketshare 

PS3:360 [i]LTD [/I]= [b]6.4:1[/B] marketshare

PS2:XBX [i]launch aligned[/i] = [b]8.5:1[/b] marketshare

PS2:XBX [i]at XBX 2yr[/i] = [b]34:1[/b] marketshare

Here's my walkthrough on my figures with explanation where necessary.

At this point in the console lifecycle the xb1 possesses a fraction of the marketshare that the 360 did. The XB1 even has less marketshare than 360:pS3 when looking at LTD figures for the region. PS3 @ 10.34 million and 360 @ 1.6 million means a ratio of 4:1 compared to XB1:pS4 where XB1 has sold 65k to PS4's 2.4 million which is a whopping 37:1 ratio.

If we go by launch aligned dates for PS2 and OG Xbox it too had much more of a market presence than XB1. PG Xbox sold ~500k units in its first two years compared to PS2's 4.25 million in its first two years. That's a margin of ~8.5:1. Significantly less than the 37:1 for PS4:XB1. Since the original Xbox launched long after PS2 did in Japan that skews the figures when simply comparing market totals for Xbox ltd. Even ignoring the launch differential and taking both platforms figures when OG Xbox was at 2 years in Japan in that comparison the XB1 still has less marketshare % than PS2:XBX 16.98:0.5 (34:1).

Further context courtesy of Zhuge and Ryng:

Furthermore the original Xbox's sales did not fall into double digits until after the 360 launched in Japan.

At this point I feel like as someone else posted that the only people buying XB1s in Japan right now are American GIs stationed over there.

COMG chart January 23, 2016

01. [PSV] Kan Colle Kai (combined) - 294pt
02. [PSV] Dragon Quest Builders - 90pt
03. [PS4] Dragon Quest Builders - 58pt
04. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV FINAL - 51pt
05. [PS4] DARK SOULS III Dark Seoul 3 - 39pt
06. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 - 34pt
07. [WiiU] Mario Tennis Ultra Smash - 32pt
08. [PS4] NARUTO- Naruto - Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - 32pt
09. [PSV] Digimon World -next 0rder- - 29pt
10. [PSV] Summon Night 6 (Deluxe Pack) - 25pt
11. [PS4] Star Ocean 5 -Integrity and Faithlessness- - 20pt
12. [PS3] Dragon Quest Builders - 19pt
13. [PSV] Hatsune Miku -Project DIVA- X - 18pt
14. [WiiU] POKKEN TOURNAMENT - 16pt
15. [PS3] Star Ocean 5 -Integrity and Faithlessness- - 16pt
16. [3DS] Haikyuu !! Cross team match cross game box - 15pt
17. [PS4] Valkyria Chronicles remastered - 15pt
18. [3DS] Rockman Classics Collection - 15pt
19. [PSV] Kamen Rider: Battride War Creation - 15pt

most relevant missing games :
- (PS34V) Attack on Titan - 2015/2/18 (#41 and #87 on Amazon)
- (PS4) Street Fighter V - 2015/2/18 (out of top100)

Vena

Pokken is going to outsell SFV, in Japan, at this rate.

Also, what was the DQH's COMG tallies around this time in the release schedule timelines? I am going to go look but if anyone remembers let me know before I edit.

Vena

Pokken could outsell it worldwide.

Wouldn't that be a terrible result for SFV? I guess I am not sure how to gauge the popularity of Pokemon in such a context as what is outright a core fighting game rather than its many other much more "in tune with the younger audience" spin-off games.

Vena

DQH (5 days before release on COMG):
PS3: 314
PS4: 187
T = 501

DQB (5 days before release on COMG):
PSV: 90
PS4: 58
PS3: 19
T = 167

Arzehn

Kancolle and DQB had some nice movement.

Despite some people here not liking the demo for DQB, it has reviewed well on Amazon. It gained like 8pts on this update (normally 2-3 a day).

Digimon preorders are strong as the game is still 2 months off, I recall Cyber Sleuth finishing around 100.

huh, could it?

What exactly are the expectations for SF5 WW? I feel like I'm out of the loop.

On this document, Capcom expected 2 million copies of SFV (PS4 + PC) for March 31 2016. It's going to be a long run though, this is the fighting game that will live for all the rest of the generation, with Capcom bringing one new character every two months.

Also, by shipping only one version of the game (no Super/Ultra SFV, unless plans changes) I think this game will have a large digital part on the long run.

Top Bottom