• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2012 (May 14 - May 20)

Bruno MB

20./25. [NDS] Pokemon Black / White # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2010.09.18} (¥4.800) - 2.551 / 5.471.875

Since we've only had the Media Create top 20 since 2010 its not surprising that 2,551 units sold is the lowest number to enter into the list. What it will be really interesting is the next Famitsu top 30 chart, it will probably have the game in the 30th position with the lowest units sold since ages.

Next week is going to be GUD.

New releases {2012.05.24}

[3DS] Mario Tennis Open <SPT> (Nintendo) (¥4.800)
[3DS] Minna no Ennichi <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥3.990)
[3DS] Funky Barn 3D <SLG> (Ubisoft) (¥3.990)
[3DS] Boku wa Koukuu Kanseikan: Airport Hero 3D Haneda with Jal <SLG> (Sonic Powered) (¥6.090)
[3DS] G1 Grand Prix <SLG> (Genki) (¥6.080)

[PSV] Samurai & Dragons <ACT> (Sega) (¥3.990)

[PSP] Uta no Prince-Sama: Debut # <ACT> (Broccoli) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Uta no Prince-Sama: Debut [Limited Edition DearDarling Box] <ACT> (Broccoli) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Suigetsu Ni Portable # <ADV> (GN Software) (¥5.040)
[PSP] Suigetsu Ni Portable [Limited Edition] <ADV> (GN Software) (¥8.379)
[PSP] Jyuzaengi: Engetsu Sangokuden # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Jyuzaengi: Engetsu Sangokuden [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Elminage Gothic: Ulm Zakir to Yami no Gishiki <RPG> (Starfish SD) (¥6.090)

[PS3] Dragons Dogma <ACT> (Capcom) (¥7.990)
[PS3] The Idolmaster: Gravure For You! Vol.8 <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥9.980)
[PS3] Steins;Gate <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling <ADV> (5pb.) (¥6.090)
[PS3] Steins;Gate: Double Pack <ADV> (5pb.) (¥14.000)
[PS3] Record of Agarest War 2 (CH Selection) <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥3.990)
[PS3] Operation Flashpoint: Red River (Codemasters the Best) <ACT> (Codemasters) (¥3.990)
[PS3] Two Worlds II (Bargain Edition) <RPG> (Ubisoft) (¥2.940)

[360] Dragons Dogma <ACT> (Capcom) (¥7.990)
[360] Mushihimesama # <STG> (Cave) (¥7.140)
[360] Mushihimesama [Limited Edition] <STG> (Cave) (¥9.240)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why is this week so horrible all around for hardware (software was expected except for Persona 2 as nothing major released and the same older titles are holding up). Is it just the lack of new games or something else?

Lethality

Yess!!! Oreimo in #1!!!
Kappa.jpg

My Little Vita Can't Be This Dead

And you sir, just made my day. Bravo!

Not sure why everyone's so surprised at Black and White emerging back onto the chart; they've been hovering between 25 and 30 for months now.

PSP(2011 YTD)= 949,693
PSP+PSV(2012)=646,572(-31.9%)

Looking ahead to Week 21, PSP did 33,685 in 2011.

3DS+DS(2011 YTD)=1,447,438
3DS+DS(2012 YTD)=1,758,018(+21.5%)

Looking ahead to week 21, 3DS+DS did 34,725 in 2011.

All handhelds(2011 YTD)=2,397,131
All handhelds(2012 YTD)=2,404,590

massoluk

Banned
Come on guys, it's not that creepy. It's just a game based on manga about a guy finding out his sister like to play games about little sisters longing for older brothers.

Will Wii Sports Resort scrape past a million before the release of the Wii U? Before the end of the year? Not at all?

Delightful to see Harvest Moon still chugging away in the high teens.

The original release of Wii Sports Resort sold > 1.9 million in Japan (using data from summer 2010). The version currently being tracked is the bundle with the Wii Remote Plus released in late 2010 (and might include pack in with wii consoles). WSR total is approaching 3 million in Japan.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Added lots of things, it just lacks hardware table now, I'm waiting donny for that. :p

Now, talking about sales...low numbers as expected due to the period.

This to me is far more dangerous than the disappointing hardware sales. Without good 3rd party software sales now 2013+ games will not be green lit.

It can't really chart with such a low install base. The system could have an attach rate of 8 right now and we wouldn't necessarily know it.

Well ok, it probably isn't that good.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Woo Fire Emblem!

I seriously hope it gets a NA release.

Fabrik

Banned
It definitely seems extremely beneficial to be the first to launch a new home console right now.

Wii U will be huge in Japan. The market over there demands something new. The other two systems will be fucked. The majority of Japanese studios will never be ready technologically for the "real" next-gen and will probably stick to Wii U when they see the sales.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
<stump> (HW sales) Vita has had 16 weeks worse than the PSP's worst week, and only 7 weeks better than the PSP's worst week*
<stump> The best-selling game on Vita in Japan (LTD) is equal to the 175th best-selling game on PSP in Japan
<stump> The second best selling game on Vita in Japan (LTD) is equal to the 250th best-selling game on PSP in Japan

* excluding 2012 sales; the PSP's worst week during its actual effective lifetime.

jman2050

To compound the many many woes of Vita's market performance is the not-quite-as-publicized fact that the PSP market is quickly on its way to falling off the face of the earth.

<stump> (HW sales) Vita has had 16 weeks worse than the PSP's worst week, and only 7 weeks better than the PSP's worst week*
<stump> The best-selling game on Vita in Japan is equal to the 175th best-selling game on PSP in Japan
<stump> The second best selling game on Vita in Japan is equal to the 250th best-selling game on PSP in Japan

* excluding 2012 sales; the PSP's worst week during its actual effective lifetime.

So you're saying it could be worse.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
To compound the many many woes of Vita's market performance is the not-quite-as-publicized fact that the PSP market is quickly on its way to falling off the face of the earth.

Ayup.

What does the PSP even have left? Is there another SRW or anything else of that caliber left?

Bruno MB

It is now a lock that Fire Emblem: Awakening will become into the second best-selling entry, no one saw that coming months before its release.

wrowa

Those Persona 2 EP sales aren't good news for Soul Hackers at all. I think we might be seeing the divide between the shrinking group of old-school faithful Atlus fans, and those who only care for the newer generation of Persona.

Are Persona 2 EP's sales really all that surprising? They are a little lower than I would have expected, but I think it was foreseeable. It's not only released on a system that's about to fade out of the market, but it's also a direct sequel to Persona 2: IS. In other words: It was unlikely from the beginning that many people who didn't buy Persona 2: IS would pick up EP, but at the same time it's more than likely that many people who bought IS don't want to buy EP for various reasons; because they didn't like EP, because they don't want to play another game of its style already or simply because they prefer to wait for P4 Golden.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
How large was the PS2 userbase when the Gamecube launched ?

<stump> The best-selling game on Vita in Japan is equal to the 175th best-selling game on PSP in Japan
<stump> The second best selling game on Vita in Japan is equal to the 250th best-selling game on PSP in Japan

DAMN.

mclem

The original release of Wii Sports Resort sold > 1.9 million in Japan (using data from summer 2010). The version currently being tracked is the bundle with the Wii Remote Plus released in late 2010 (and might include pack in with wii consoles). WSR total is approaching 3 million in Japan.

Dammit. I just want a pointless metric to track!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Those Persona 2 EP sales aren't good news for Soul Hackers at all. I think we might be seeing the divide between the shrinking group of old-school faithful Atlus fans, and those who only care for the newer generation of Persona.

I was talking to Segata at the time the thread went up and we both pretty much agreed that this is more indicative of the decline of the PSP and the generally depressed market than a reflection of the software. I just don't think there are many engaged PSP owners, looking for something new to buy. If we further assume that those people who have bought Vitas are some of the "higher-end" PSP owners, they're also removed from the picture, because they'll never buy retail software again.

Does anybody know how lower-than-expected console sales for newish hardware affect production? In terms of something like Vita, does cost of production increase if contracts with producers and suppliers decrease or get scaled back because of lower demand.

duckroll

Are Persona 2 EP's sales really all that surprising? They are a little lower than I would have expected, but I think it was foreseeable. It's not only released on a system that's about to fade out of the market, but it's also a direct sequel to Persona 2: IS. In other words: It was unlikely from the beginning that many people who didn't buy Persona 2: IS would pick up EP, but at the same time it's more than likely that many people who bought IS don't want to buy EP for various reasons; because they didn't like EP, because they don't want to play another game of its style already or simply because they prefer to wait for P4 Golden.

Regardless of any reason, I think a follow up release selling 1/3 of what the previous release did in the first week is a very bad sign, and is definitely surprising. A lot of of those reasons apply to pretty much any sequel, but we definitely don't expect them to drop this drastically, especially for a known brand. Oreimo 2 is the #1 game this week, and it dropped less than 50% from the first game. It's also on the PSP.

You're incorrect in saying that P2 EP is a direct sequel though. It's actually a stand alone game which is the "other side" of IS. You can play either IS or EP without playing the other and you won't really miss out on that much. Timeline-wise they're more like alternate realities than exact sequels.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Regardless of any reason, I think a follow up release selling 1/3 of what the previous release did in the first week is a very bad sign, and is definitely surprising. A lot of of those reasons apply to pretty much any sequel, but we definitely don't expect them to drop this drastically, especially for a known brand. Oreimo 2 is the #1 game this week, and it dropped less than 50% from the first game. It's also on the PSP.

You're incorrect in saying that P2 EP is a direct sequel though. It's actually a stand alone game which is the "other side" of IS. You can play either IS or EP without playing the other and you won't really miss out on that much. Timeline-wise they're more like alternate realities than exact sequels.

Probably it's a result of being out so late in PSP lifespan, with 3DS rising in both hardware and software departments...and of being released just a bit before Persona 4, which will do GOOD, there's no doubt about it. Most of Persona's fan are looking forward The Golden.

saichi

It can't really chart with such a low install base. The system could have an attach rate of 8 right now and we wouldn't necessarily know it.

Well ok, it probably isn't that good.

<stump> The best-selling game on Vita in Japan (LTD) is equal to the 175th best-selling game on PSP in Japan
<stump> The second best selling game on Vita in Japan (LTD) is equal to the 250th best-selling game on PSP in Japan

as we all know that most sales are on PSN...

Top Bottom