• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2017 (May 15 - May 21)

Vena

I know, just wonder what title is it going to be? DMC5? MH5?Okami2?

They expect it to sell a lot (1+mil), you can look at your list and ask yourselves which of these could/would actually sell 1mil.

Of course, this is 10milRE7 Capcpom we're talking about so...

Passose

Banned
Ōkami;238113327 said:
Okami 2 would totally sell a million though.
Really?

They expect it to sell a lot (1+mil), you can look at your list and ask yourselves which of these could/would actually sell 1mil.

Of course, this is 10milRE7 Capcpom we're talking about so...
just some random guesses though, even though I doubt any of them can make it :p

cheesekao

Then I am confused. Nier and Nioh haven't really sold to some grandiose high standard in any region, they've done really well all in all for what they are globally and in Japan but in no region would they be a good comparison to MH performance.
I'll make make my point clear. Nier Automata has more than likely sold over a million outside of Japan based on the info we got. Nioh also quickly passed the 1 mill mark a while ago and it sold around 150k+ in Japan last I remember. I wouldn't be surprised it sold more after all this time. MH's best international outing is 1 million shipped with MH4U.

So, what does that have to do with my point?
Point: You don't need to have exceedingly good graphics to sell well to the international audience. Nioh may be a bit of a tossup but I'm pretty confident Nier has already outsold MH4U.

But Nier's also on PC u say? Sure, but it still doesn't look miles better than the PS4 version.

If MH5 comes to PS4 Capcom has to invest a lot, it has to be visually on par and I dont know if it would make sense to make it anything but open world.
From what I can infer from this person's post, he suggests that a PS4 MH would need to be as visually capable as western AAA games and I disagree with that.

Let me make it clear that I'm only talking about international sales and international only. How well a supposed MH on PS4 would sell is something nobody can predict at this point in time.

Not being released does not mean they dont know about Switch though.

Of course it doesn't, but why would they say "we need to look beyond handhelds to expand our reach in the west" if they weren't talking about the current home console systems on the market?

Them saying that and referring to Switch, a hybrid which by most accounts was going to get a MH game regardless of what it ended up being, doesn't really make much sense.

I'm sure Capcom had no idea about the Switch.

Eh, you're being obtuse at this point. No doubt they knew about the Switch, but I ask again, why would they make a statement like that if not referring to systems already on the market and proving a success in the territory that they're trying to expand in. The Switch wasn't out and it's success was still up in the air.

It was on November though, the switch trailer was shown a few months before that

See above.

Vena

I'll make make my point clear. Nier Automata has more than likely sold over a million outside of Japan based on the info we got. Nioh also quickly passed the 1 mill mark a while ago and it sold around 150k+ in Japan last I remember. I wouldn't be surprised it sold more after all this time. MH's best international outing is 1 million shipped with MH4U.

Point: You don't need to have exceedingly good graphics to sell well to the international audience. Nioh may be a bit of a tossup but I'm pretty confident Nier has already outsold MH4U.

But Nier's also on PC u say? Sure, but it still doesn't look miles better than the PS4 version.

From what I can infer from this person's post, he suggests that a PS4 MH would need to be as visually capable as western AAA games and I disagree with that.

Ya that's what I understood then, but my point was that those sales numbers are/would be very small for the MH brand if we're using them as a point of comparison where we're trying to argue that graphics aren't *that* important in the western performance.

A MH on PS4/X1/PC would be looking back at 3DS/PSP peak sales of 4m+, that's what it needs to be looking at accomplishing not Nier/Nioh sales. So I think the idea here would be that to bring the series to known heights, the investment in the title would need to be a lot more than what we see in Nier/Nioh. If they invested for 1-1.5m global sales... that'd be quite the fall of the series or some grotesque misplanning.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe becomes the Switch's 1st half-million seller!
01./01. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} - 25,144 / 500,070

Congrats on Rainbow Six Siege hitting 200K!
21./22. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft) {2015.12.10} - 1,928 / 201,362

This slowly is trucking towards 100K... I guess will it make it before dropping off the charts? I'd think so given how low #50 is, but we'll see.
25./19. [NSW] Super Bomberman R (Konami) {2017.03.03} - 1,678 / 95,133

Looks like the remaining Switch games are trailing off with the low stock.
38./42. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris S (Sega) {2017.03.03} - 917 / 38,198
43./41. [NSW] Minna de Wai Wai! Spelunker (Square Enix) {2017.04.20} - 839 / 12,631
47./39. [NSW] Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch (Square Enix) {2017.03.03} - 744 / 50,866

Let me make it clear that I'm only talking about international sales and international only. How well a supposed MH on PS4 would sell is something nobody can predict at this point in time.

MH4U is around 1.5 million outside of Japan.

How well a PS4 MH would do? No one really knows, but tbh it going past 2 million outside of Japan doesn't strike me as likely. Not for a first entry. Only a handful of Japanese games on the PS4 have sold > 2 million in the West.

cheesekao

Ya that's what I understood then, but my point was that those sales numbers are/would be very small for the MH brand if we're using them as a point of comparison where we're trying to argue that graphics aren't *that* important in the western performance.

A MH on PS4/X1/PC would be looking back at 3DS/PSP peak sales of 4m+, that's what it needs to be looking at accomplishing not Nier/Nioh sales. So I think the idea here would be that to bring the series to known heights, the investment in the title would need to be a lot more than what we see in Nier/Nioh. If they invested for 1-1.5m global sales... that'd be quite the fall of the series or some grotesque misplanning.
1.5m in overseas sales would already be an improvement over MH4U so I don't get your point. If you're talking about 1.5m sales (Japan + Overseas) then boy, not once did I ever imply such a thing.

MH4U is around 1.5 million outside of Japan.

How well a PS4 MH would do? No one really knows, but tbh it going past 2 million outside of Japan doesn't strike me as likely. Not for a first entry. Only a handful of Japanese games on the PS4 have sold > 2 million in the West.
Source? Based on Capcom's million seller list, it's still around/under 1 mill.

Vena

1.5m in overseas sales would already be an improvement over MH4U so I don't get your point. If you're talking about 1.5m sales (Japan + Overseas) then boy, not once did I ever imply such a thing.

But how much do you expect it to do in Japan? Like... I wouldn't really expect "much", the ceiling is a hard million and I don't even think it'd be within any real reach of such a number.

1.5m in overseas sales would already be an improvement over MH4U so I don't get your point. If you're talking about 1.5m sales (Japan +Overseas) then boy, not once did I ever imply such a thing.

Source? Based on Capcom's million seller list, it's still around/under 1 mill.

Based on Capcom's Platinum sellers list MH4U is a 4.1 million units.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

According to Media Create 2015 Fiscal Year Sales, MH4U is at 2.557 million units in Japan.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277070

So unless my math is wrong, ~1.5 million outside of Japan. Where is your source for under a million?

cheesekao

But how much do you expect it to do in Japan? Like... I wouldn't really expect "much", the ceiling is a hard million and I don't even think it'd be within any real reach of such a number.
Here's my opinion. Let's assume the following:

1. Capcom/Sony markets the game heavily internationally.
2. The MH formula is improved to be more accessible.
3. Graphics are good. Nothing outstanding but nothing bad either.

When it comes to Japanese sales, I think it'll do roughly 700k. As for international sales, it'll be around 1.5 million. Note that these are end of life sales and not FW. That would put it around 2.2 million.

HOWEVER, note that this does not include sales on other platforms. I expect Switch sales to add to that.

Based on Capcom's Platinum sellers list MH4U is a 4.1 million units.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

According to Media Create 2015 Fiscal Year Sales, MH4U is at 2.557 million units in Japan.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277070

So unless my math is wrong, ~1.5 million outside of Japan. Where is your source for under a million?
Before the release of MH4U, sales of MH4G on the Capcom million seller list was 3.1 million and they updated that to 4.1 million after the fact.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Here's my opinion. Let's assume the following:

1. Capcom/Sony markets the game heavily internationally.
2. The MH formula is improved to be more accessible.

When it comes to Japanese sales, I think it'll do roughly 700k. As for international sales, it'll be around 1.5 million. Note that these are end of life sales and not FW. That would put it around 2.2 million.

HOWEVER, note that this does not include sales on other platforms. I expect Switch sales to add to that.

You expect more sales in the West than Japan?

Vena

Considering how I'm working under the assumption that it'll also be on the Switch and will therefore be more popular on it due to the console's nature, yes.

That's our breakdown, I am talking about a twins/PC only release. No Switch.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./00. [PSV] Rewrite: Harvest Festa! <ADV> (Prototype) {2017.05.18} (¥5.200)
22./19. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.571)
23./20. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5) {2016.12.15} (¥4.800)
24./22. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition # <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.400)
25./26. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2016.06.23} (¥3.600)
26./23. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.04.28} (¥4.700)
27./21. [PSV] Dungeon Travelers 2-2: The Maiden Who Fell into Darkness and the Book of Beginnings # <RPG> (Aqua Plus) {2017.04.20} (¥5.800)
28./28. [3DS] Miitopia <SLG> (Nintendo) {2016.12.08} (¥4.700)
29./27. [NSW] Super Bomberman R <ACT> (Konami) {2017.03.03} (¥4.980)
30./43. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.11.06} (¥7.900)
31./36. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.12.03} (¥2.400)
32./32. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800)
33./25. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn # <RPG> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.03.02} (¥6.900)
34./34. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2017.03.03} (¥4.990)
35./30. [NSW] Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch <Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below \ Dragon Quest Heroes II> <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.03.03} (¥8.800)
36./29. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2017 [Konami the Best] <SPT> (Konami) {2017.04.13} (¥3.980)
37./41. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 # <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥5.700)
38./24. [PS4] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2016.04.28} (¥7.980)
39./31. [3DS] Cube Creator DX <ADV> (Arc System Works) {2017.04.27} (¥2.800)
40./39. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Mura o Tsukurundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2016.07.21} (¥4.800)
41./40. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX <Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 ReMIX <Kingdom Hearts \ Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories> \ Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX <Kingdom Hearts II \ Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ \ Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep>> <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.03.09} (¥6.800)
42./47. [NSW] Minna de Wai Wai! Spelunker <ACT> (Square Enix) {2017.04.20} (¥4.980)
43./44. [PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard # <ADV> (Capcom) {2017.01.26} (¥7.990)
44./46. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥5.700)
45./38. [PS4] PaRappa the Rapper Remastered <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.04.20} (¥1.800)
46./48. [PS4] LEGO Worlds <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2017.04.06} (¥2.980)
47./33. [3DS] Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.01.19} (¥4.700)
48./45. [3DS] Kawaii Pet to Kurasou! Wan Nyan & Mini Mini Animal <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2017.04.06} (¥4.800)
49./49. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.200)
50./00. [PSV] Danganronpa 1 + 2 Reload <Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc \ Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair> [PlayStation Vita the Best] <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2017.05.18} (¥2.980)

Top 50

3DS - 18
PS4 - 17
NSW - 7
PSV - 4
WIU - 4

SOFTWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    217.000 |    233.000 |    249.000 | 11.061.000 | 11.232.000 |

Ōkami

Before the release of MH4U, sales of MH4G on the Capcom million seller list was 3.1 million and they updated that to 4.1 million after the fact.
You must be confusing it with Generations, the last Japan only data for 4G had it at 2.7m, the number then jumped to 3.4m following the western release and its at 4.1m today.

cheesekao

&#332;kami;238115937 said:
You must be confusing it with Generations, the last Japan only data for 4G had it at 2.7m, the number then jumped to 3.4m following the western release and its at 4.1m today.
Is it? Well then it looks like I'm wrong then.

I dunno if maybe they have versions for other countries in Asia outside of Japan that performed well to make up the rest of the 4.1 million for MH4 but MH4 and MH4U are separate SKUs and MH4 vanilla is at 3.37 million in Japan. What you're proposing doesn't make sense. MH4U is at 1.5 million outside of Japan. It's impossible for 4U to be at 4.1 million without outside of Japan release given it's floating at 2.55 million in Japan currently.

ldar247

Banned
Why not just make MH5 Switch exclusive in Japan and PS4 exclusive in rotw? That way they can target the western market on ps4, get portable sales in japan and won't have to split the user base by making it exclusive in each region (a lot of people used to claim this was important when a potential MonHun release on vita or ps4 was brought up in past MC threads).

cheesekao

Why not just make MH5 Switch exclusive in Japan and PS4 exclusive in rotw? That way they can target the western market on ps4, get portable sales in japan and won't have to split the user base by making it exclusive in each region (a lot of people used to claim this was important when a potential MonHun release on vita or ps4 was brought up in past MC threads).
That would mean alienating western Nintendo MH fans and that would not be a good idea.

I dunno if maybe they have versions for other countries in Asia outside of Japan that performed well to make up the rest of the 4.1 million for MH4 but MH4 and MH4U are separate SKUs and MH4 vanilla is at 3.37 million in Japan. What you're proposing doesn't make sense. MH4U is at 1.5 million outside of Japan. It's impossible for 4U to be at 4.1 million without outside of Japan release given it's floating at 2.55 million in Japan currently.
Someone already corrected me. It's 1.4 shipped internationally and 2.7m shipped domestically.

Why would anyone want that? Why would you have the game fully functional on 2 systems but not release it? I don't get the fear of multiplat MH. You can't take a PS4 with you, it's not going to split the userbase in any meaningful way in Japan. The bulk will buy it on Switch. Internationally you have 2 SKUs to sell to the general public. The portable aspect isn't relevant in the west so no one cares about splitting the userbase.

Good to see MHXX confirmed for the Switch. If anything, this makes me hopeful for future Switch support from Capcom. I wonder how well it will do compared to the original release, or MH3U on Wii U.

That seems like a recipe for disaster that would only piss people off.

Snakeyes

What's the point of it then? The whole deal with mainline Monster Hunter coming to PS4 is seeing what the series could achieve on relatively high-end hardware from a technical standpoint. "Nothing outstanding but nothing bad" can already be done on the Switch, so if that's your only goal, you might as well keep the series on a portable and not fuck with a proven gameplay formula that nets you a solid 2.5+ million sales in Japan.

An HD Monster Hunter that truly aims at expanding the fanbase in the West has to go big on the production values, IMO.

Putting it on PC is more desirable than ever now if you don't want to pay fees for online play. I think it would do really well on Steam.

I don't know what Capcom has in mind for the series, but with the Switch being easier to port to/from and the necessity for greater visual fidelity, going multiplat seems like an easier bet.

cheesekao

What's the point of it then? The whole deal with mainline Monster Hunter coming to PS4 is seeing what the series could achieve on relatively high-end hardware from a technical standpoint. "Nothing outstanding but nothing bad" can already be done on the Switch, so if that's your only goal, you might as well keep the series on a portable and not fuck with a proven gameplay formula that nets you a solid 2.5+ million sales in Japan.

An HD Monster Hunter that truly aims at expanding the fanbase in the West has to go big on the production values, IMO.
The graphics should be as good as it can be but not at the cost of a Switch version. If the game is too complex and graphically intensive it may compromise the Switch version.

Zalman

I'm interested in seeing how much selling power MHXX has. Nevertheless it's a good way to get existing MH fans on board and build a base on Switch for future titles.

I dunno, tbh I think the limit to MH sales was 3DS being undesirable hardware in the West. I don't think you need bleeding edge graphics on PS4 to make the franchise appealing. I don't think in it's current form though the ceiling is very high however. Lotta bullshit to wade through in MH. I honestly expect XX Switch to do well in the west just by virtue of being on a system people want and having much better graphical capabilities.

L~A

Nintendo eShop Sales: Week 20, 2017 (May 15 - May 21)

Nintendo 3DS

(=) 01. The Battle Cats POP (Ponos) [31.5.2015]
(N) 02. Choujuu Giga Taisen (Silver Star Japan) [17.5.2017]
(N) 03. Urban Trial Freestyle 2 (Flyhigh Works) [17.5.2017]
(=) 04. Ice Station Z (Wobbly Tooth) [06.4.2017]
(-2) 05. Cube Creator DX (Arc System Works) [27.4.2017]
(-4) 06. Monster Hunter XX (Capcom) [18.3.2017]
(N) 07. Doukutsujima (SmileBoom) [17.5.2017]
(-2) 08. Kirby Fighters Deluxe (Nintendo) [23.7.2014]
(-4) 09. Neko Atsume (Hit Point) [26.4.2017]
(=) 10. Bye-Bye! Box-Boy (Nintendo) [02.2.2017]

Wii U

(=) 01. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
(=) 02. Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Microsoft) [17.12.2015]
(=) 03. Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) [29.5.2014]
(+5) 04. Super Mario 64 (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [08.4.2015]
(+2) 05. Bomberman '94 (Konami, Virtual Console) [19.11.2014]
(-2) 06. Kirby Super Star (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [01.5.2013]
(-2) 07. Splatoon (Nintendo) [28.5.2015]
(-2) 08. Super Mario World (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.4.2013]
(B) 09. Dragon Quest X (Square-Enix) [30.3.2013]
(B) 10. Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! / Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training: How Old Is Your Brain? (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [05.8.2015]

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/1bdd17c5-3f4f-11e7-8f53-063b7ac45a6d.html

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah, I mean, I can't see a scenario where someone looks at MHXX today and goes "it would be a great use of our resources to port this to the PS4 too." Lol.
I don't know I mean Resident evil revelations got the PS4/XB1 port. I honestly don't think capcom cares. It's more of a do they really want xx to be the first game they release on the ps4 as a starting point for the franchise if they release a ps4 game. If MH get's established as a large seller I doubt they'd have much issue porting such games.

noshten

I think if MHXX is a big enough leap in graphics and utilizes the Switch features well could be a million seller in Japan - despite coming out on the 3DS first.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think if MHXX is a big enough leap in graphics and utilizes the Switch features well could be a million seller in Japan - despite coming out on the 3DS first.
Depends on the switch production problems. If the MH fan base doesn't already have the system they'rd going to have substantial problems getting the system.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

They wouldnt bother with Switch if they didnt think they could hit a million.

Between Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, Minecraft and Monster Hunter - people are more or less forced to jump on the Switch train to be part of that wave.

Oregano

Guess we can rule out God Eater and Toukiden ever appearing on Switch, they won't want to directly compete with Monster Hunter.
Irrelevance is a better choice.

MHXX has only sold around 1.5 million so far. There are a lot of MH fans not on board yet. If his gets a decent update for the switch release I think that plus the hype around the switch will see this game sell very well. Maybe even similar numbers to the 3DS version.

Obviously this depends on how many switches Nintendo can get out there but with MH5 likely still a long way off this could sell for a while.

Passose

Banned
Guess we can rule out God Eater and Toukiden ever appearing on Switch, they won't want to directly compete with Monster Hunter.
I'd rather die on my ps4 homeland then the land of the evil switch empire.

well, yeah. It's not that big yet, but you know what I mean

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well we will still get FF explorers 2 right guys?^_^

The director for the first game now runs the studio that makes I Am Setsuna, and they announced the next Explorers game as a mobile title, so I probably wouldn't hold my breath for that one.

L~A

What I find amusing is that the MHXX announcement came less than 24h after zeromcd73's unfortunate mistranslation of that Switch support bit in the Capcom interview that caused quite a stir :p

Still, I wonder why they even announced it now, instead of during the actual event? I remember MH4U was also announced during a similar event, but they hadn't announced it beforehand. They just dropped the bomb there.

Very strange SC is allowed to do that while KT just released an AoT VN on 3DS. Their contracts that specific?

Also kind of weird KT hasn't shat out budget prints of AOT PlayStation or something expansion.

I guess the licence for AoT is such that any licencee can release whatever they want whenever they want... or the exclusivity was too costly for KT (they're not the richest of publishers, I doubt they could afford it).

Regarding the lack of AOT budget re-release or expansion, it's indeed weird, now that you mention it. Missed opportunity, because from what I've seen, AOT is much better than SC's game.

casiopao

The director for the first game now runs the studio that makes I Am Setsuna, and they announced the next Explorers game as a mobile title, so I probably wouldn't hold my breath for that one.

Awwww. Sadness. I do see the next explorers on mobile going to bomba lol if S-E recent mobile effort is example.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Awwww. Sadness. I do see the next explorers on mobile going to bomba lol if S-E recent mobile effort is example.

They're happy with the performance of Star Ocean, Dissidia, and Bravely Default, so things have been looking up for them even if none of them are home runs.

Mind, Explorers mobile looked... less appealing.

Calm Mind

Where would they go if the majority of their sales were from portable?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Well we will still get FF explorers 2 right guys?^_^

This would actually be pretty cool on a Switch level hardware....just couldnt get too interested on the 3DS with the chibi characters and the graphics.

If they wanna go for that PSO/MH FF experience again and are willing to spend more on a console release i would hope its on Switch as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This would actually be pretty cool on a Switch level hardware....just couldnt get too interested on the 3DS with the chibi characters and the graphics.

If they wanna go for that PSO/MH FF experience again and are willing to spend more on a console release i would hope its on Switch as well.
The new game uses this art style instead:

002-64kpor.jpg
001-4k2p6y.jpg

006-3zoqg7.jpg
004-5iiqj5.jpg

019-2ngpoe.jpg

Top Bottom