• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2017 (May 15 - May 21)

casiopao

I don't see why Capcom would need to "split" the series in "portable" and "mainline" ever again. Especially where in the future, in the main market for MH, it will be sold mainly on a platform which is... both a portable and a console. :p

I think people calling it mainline and portable is wrong wording lol.

I would said mainline and spin off kinda like Lost Planet 3 and Ex Trooper where they are based on the same series but had different focus.

hiska-kun

I agree with you on most point, I just don't think it's going to work out as well as MH3G did for the 3DS when it comes to building up a base for future releases. We'll know soon enough :)

This version is a late port of an expansion. In other words, it looks more like MH3G HD ver. than the original 3DS version.
And outsell the Wii U version will be very easy.

Ōkami

PSN

01/NEW. The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Extended Edition (Stimtech) – {15/05/2017} (¥2.200)
02/06. Final Fantasy XIV (50% OFF) (Square Enix) – {23/06/2015} (¥3.132)
03/02. Little Nightmares (Bandai Namco) – {28/04/2017} (¥2.376)
04/03. How to Survive 2 (Spike Chunsoft) – {25/04/2017} (¥2.160)
05/00. Salt and Sanctuary (30% OFF) (Ska Studios) – {18/08/2016} (¥1.246)
06/08. Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition (Mojang) – {25/12/2014} (¥2.592)
07/12. Lethal League (Reptile Games) – {10/05/2017} (¥1.500)
08/11. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 (43% OFF) (Konami) – {28/04/2016} (¥4.980)
09/NEW. Prey (Bethesda Softworks) – {18/05/2017} (¥8.618)
10/05. Nier: Automata (50% OFF) (Square Enix) – {23/02/2017} (¥6.739)
11/00. Horizon: Zero Dawn (Sony Interactive Entertainment) – {02/03/2017} (¥7.452)
12/19. Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition (From Software) – {20/04/2017} (¥5.832)
13/00. Tom Clancy’s The Division (Ubi the Best) (Ubisoft) – {27/04/2017} (¥2.592)
14/00. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft) – {10/12/2015} (¥8.100)
15/20. Parappa The Rapper: Remastered (Sony Interactive Entertainment) – {20/04/2017} (¥1.944)
16/00. Star Ocean 3: Till the end of time – Director’s Cut (Square Enix) – {31/03/2017} (¥3.024)
17/00. Final Fantasy VII (Square Enix) – {04/12/2015} (¥1.800)
18/NEW. Danranronpa 1 + 2 Reload (Spike Chunsoft) – {18/05/2017} (¥3.800)
19/00. Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance (21% OFF) (Nippon Ichi) – {26/03/2015} (¥3.000)
20/00. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls – Ultimate Edition (Square Enix) – {08/12/2016} (¥4.104)

PSV

01/01. Salt and Sanctuary (30% OFF) (Ska Studios) – {13/04/2017} (¥1.246)
02/03. Dungeon Travelers 2-2 (Aquaplus) – {20/04/2017} (¥5.142)
03/06. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 (43% OFF) (Konami) – {28/04/2016} (¥4.280)
04/00. Irezumi no Kuni (50% OFF) (Sushi Typhoon Games) – {30/09/2016} (¥1.080)
05/09. Romancing SaGa 2 (Square Enix) – {24/03/2016} (¥2.200)
06/10. Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Mojang) – {29/10/2014} (¥2.592)
07/13. Touhou Genso Wanderer (40% OFF) (Mediascape) – {25/06/2015} (¥3.369)
08/00. Himoutou! Umaru-Chan: Himoutou Ikusei Keikaku (50% OFF) (FuRyu) – {03/12/2015} (¥3.240)
09/NEW. Rewrite Harvest Festa! (Prototype) – {18/05/2017} (¥4.600)
10/00. Terraria (Spike Chunsoft) – {06/02/2014} (¥2.057)
11/20. Fate/Hollow: Ataraxia (PlayStation Vita the Best) (Marvelous) – {27/04/2017} (¥3.500)
12/18. Persona 4: Golden (PlayStation Vita the Best) (Atlus) – {05/02/2015} (¥3.980)
13/00. Gundam Breaker 3 (Welcome Price!!) (Bandai Namco) – {30/03/2017} (¥2.722)
14/00. IA/VT Colorful (PlayStation Vita the Best) (Marvelous) – {10/03/2016} (¥3.780)
15/00. Dragon Quest Builders (Ultimate Hits) (Square Enix) – {01/12/2016} (¥3.218)
16/02. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sui (Entergram) – {12/03/2015} (¥3.980)
17/07. Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (36% OFF) (PlayStation Vita the Best) (Sony Computer Entertainment) – {10/10/2013} (¥1.498)
18/00. Saki: Zenkoku-hen Plus (Entergram) – {27/04/2017} (¥3.980)
19/00. Call of Duty: Black Ops – Declassified (Entergram) – {20/12/2012} (¥3.024)
20/00. Attack on Titan (Koei Tecmo) – {18/02/2016} (¥6.480)

PS3

01/01. Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition (Mojang) – {24/06/2014} (¥2.592)
02/10. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 (43% OFF) (Konami) – {28/04/2016} (¥4.280)
03/02. Sonic Adventure 2 (SEGA) – {04/10/2012} (¥1.000)
04/03. Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (36% OFF) (PlayStation Vita the Best) (Sony Computer Entertainment) – {10/10/2013} (¥1.498)
05/00. Winning Eleven 2017 (Konami the Best) (Konami) – {27/04/2017} (¥4.298)
06/00. Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition (50% OFF) (Capcom) – {29/03/2012} (¥500)
07/00. Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme VS. Full Boost (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Bandai Namco) – {28/05/2015} (¥4.104)
08/00. Dragon Quest Builders (Ultimate Hits) (Square Enix) – {01/12/2016} (¥3.780)
09/00. Bomberman Ultra (Konami) – {18/06/2009} (¥1.028)
10/00. Resident Evil 4 (50% OFF) (Capcom) – {13/03/2012} (¥500)
11/00. Monster Hunter Freedom 3 HD Ver. (Capcom) – {21/03/2013} (¥2.674)
12/00. Goat Simulator (Double Eleven) – {07/10/2015} (¥1.000)
13/00. Journey (Sony Computer Entertainment) – {14/06/2012} (¥1.234)
14/00. Puyo Puyo Tetris (Special Price) (SEGA) – {19/11/2015} (¥3.229)
15/00. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair (Konami) – {29/03/2012} (¥1.234)
16/00. R-Type Dimensions (Tozai Games) – {21/11/2013} (¥1.028)
17/00. Gran Turismo 6 (Sony Computer Entertainment) – {05/12/2013} (¥6.372)
18/00. The Misshitsukara no Dasshutsu (D3 Publisher) – {06/07/2011} (¥514)
19/00. Battlefield 4 (Electronic Arts) – {07/11/2013} (¥3.024)
20/00. Samurai Warriors 4-II (Koei Tecmo the Best) (Koei Tecmo) – {09/02/2017} (¥3.218)

Vinnk

This version is a late port of an expansion. In other words, it looks more like MH3G HD ver. than the original 3DS version.
And outsell the Wii U version will be very easy.

I liken it to when they ported the PS2 version of Monster Hunter G to the Wii to build audience for Tri.

Kanann

27th gonna be fun if they have another MH to be revealed too.

But first, they just destroy DQ countdown event LOL

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think people calling it mainline and portable is wrong wording lol.

I would said mainline and spin off kinda like Lost Planet 3 and Ex Trooper where they are based on the same series but had different focus.

Part of the reason the portable label sticks to X and XX so well is that it is the spiritual successor to that series. Easier, uses the Portable way of denoting real attack values, same producer, etc.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think it means anything in terms of exclusivity, but I think it makes it very clear that being a portable series is very important to Capcom in Japan and they need that continuity. Whether there is a PS4 version really depends on how much resources Capcom is willing to invest to try making it a bigger franchise internationally.
I would be at least somewhat surprised if XX released on PS4.

Unless this is a huge undertaking in terms of art asset upgrades, it would look pretty questionable as a late gen PS4 game, at which point, who are you targeting that wasn't okay with the handheld series?

Vinnk

Hopefully this announcement will reverse the obvious Switch decline we have been observing. Perhaps the meme isn't totally over.

Sarcasm aside, Nintendo really needs to get it together now. I know you can't magically make more supply out of nowhere. But are they still going to stick with this 10 (14?) million production figure for the end of the year? So many in demand titles this year and not having the hardware out there is bad for Nintendo and limits the sales potential of 3rd party titles as well.

duckroll

I would be at least somewhat surprised if XX released on PS4.

Unless this is a huge undertaking in terms of art asset upgrades, it would look pretty questionable as a late gen PS4 game, at which point, who are you targeting that wasn't okay with the handheld series?

I'm talking about MH5.

hiska-kun

First Day Sell-through {2017.05.25}

[PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥6.800) - 50%

[PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2 <FTG> (Arc System Works) (¥4.800) - 50%

[PS4] Summer Lesson: Miyamoto Hikari Collection |PlayStation VR| <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.600) - 50%

[PS4] Hyper Light Drifter <RPG> (Active Gaming Media) (¥3.686) - 40%

[XB1] Gears of War 4 <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥5.900) - 40%

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, I mean, I can't see a scenario where someone looks at MHXX today and goes "it would be a great use of our resources to port this to the PS4 too." Lol.

Maybe 4U around launch in Japan might have but yeah, a bit too late for this one.

ggx2ac

If you wanna know why Nintendo's stock price jumped...

DAuMjV0VYAADzLF.jpg

Edit: Monster Hunter XX was announced for Switch from 10:00am JST

Vena

Oh, yes, in that case I agree.

Yeah, I mean, I can't see a scenario where someone looks at MHXX today and goes "it would be a great use of our resources to port this to the PS4 too." Lol.

I'd go with open world-ish for anything on the HD twins. Regardless of our thoughts on that old 4chan rumor, I don't think the traditional MH structure will be what we see or what Capcom thinks will work. And I'd probably agree with them because the traditional structure is very much designed around bite-sized/closed-session hunts with a very limited overarching world/playground.

duckroll

I'd go with open world-ish for anything on the HD twins. Regardless of our thoughts on that old 4chan rumor, I don't think the traditional MH structure will be what we see or what Capcom thinks will work.

I disagree, because they already have what you are describing. It's called Dragon's Dogma and it's already headed to PS4/XB1. :p

Passose

Banned
plot twist: Nintendo will decrease the stock to 10k starting next week to prepare units for the MHXX launch :p

I disagree, because they already have what you are describing. It's called Dragon's Dogma and it's already headed to PS4/XB1. :p
btw, why won't they release Dragon's Dogma for switch?

As I've said before when rumor/speculation about Capcom drastically retooling the series for Western audiences comes up, DD is really not far removed from what a Western-targeted open-world MH reboot would look like.

I do think there's a very good chance of future mainline entries coming to PS4 and PC, but I don't think they're going to attempt to turn it into a Westernized AAA franchise, because they already did that by a different name and it didn't exactly set the world on fire.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Okay but the point isn't about whether it is multiplatform, the point is about whether it is on a platform that allows it to sell to the people who might be most likely to buy into it. Does that make more sense?

I agree.

I don't think the PS4 is that platform. Nintendo has grown the franchise in the West and offer a way to play both portable and console MH in one.

I just don't see any financial reason for MH on PS4.

Vena

I agree.

I don't think the PS4 is that platform. Nintendo has grown the franchise in the West and offer a way to play both portable and console MH in one.

Because it'd be a different type of MH, and it'd be marketed by Sony/Microsoft/Steam.

cheesekao

I agree.

Only if they put in little to zero effort.

Shengar

As I've said before when rumor/speculation about Capcom drastically retooling the series for Western audiences comes up, DD is really not far removed from what a Western-targeted open-world MH reboot would look like.

I do think there's a very good chance of future mainline entries coming to PS4 and PC, but I don't think they're going to attempt to turn it into a Westernized AAA franchise, because they already did that by a different name and it didn't exactly set the world on fire.

While I believe MH and DD similarities ends at huge monsters, I can get what you mean.

This is why I think the rumor that said Capcom going to release a "casualized" version of MH for PS4 as ridiculous since the last two games sales doesn't affected by the gameplay. It was only matter of platform and that was what the CEO said in his comment in regard of MH potential growth in the west.

Why would you retool a game when the current formula work just right? That doesn't make sense. Even more so in recent comment where Capcom said they met difficulty with developing modern games due to rising necessary resources to pull.

If MH5 comes to PS4 Capcom has to invest a lot, it has to be visually on par and I dont know if it would make sense to make it anything but open world.

Vena

Why would you retool a game when the current formula work just right? That doesn't make sense. Even more so in recent comment where Capcom said they met difficulty with developing modern games due to rising necessary resources to pull.

Because the current formula never really took off on consoles, and really took off on a format where the mission-based quick structure gelled with a portable/go-anywhere system in the PSP. That's since continued and the system has evolved, but in a lot of ways it still heavily leverages a bite-sized structure that's a lot like the strikes in Destiny.

The west also picked up on this formula on the 3DS, but other brands of the type of structure have never found success in the west in this or even previous gens, really. We need only look at how other similar brands have tried to shake off the formula of MH for something more open world. You could even consider Dark Souls in a similar vein and its not "mission based" its a contiguous world with "boss hunts".

The west/console demographic would have more easily greased cogs with something open-world/open-world~ish with a more streamlined structure/combat. Look at Horizon, its a lot like what I'd expect for a MH on consoles.

Weighty combat is also been a pretty hit or miss proposition. Dark Souls, I think, really only ever got away with it in the west because of the notion of "git gud" and the lexicon that evolved around the series and its combat.

cheesekao

If MH5 comes to PS4 Capcom has to invest a lot, it has to be visually on par and I dont know if it would make sense to make it anything but open world.
I don't believe that it has to have super high graphical fidelity but rather just look like an appealing product, within reason of course. Graphically, Nioh and Nier Automata look pretty eh but they both did well.

The brand name matters though, rebranding DD as a MH will make it sell more at the risk of pissing off any fans that wanted a real MH game on PS4 lol

Vena

I don't believe that it has to have super high graphical fidelity but rather just look like an appealing product, within reason of course. Graphically, Nioh and Nier Automata look pretty eh but they both did well.

Depends on how this goes. Those would be pretty low sales for the brand.

cheesekao

Depends on how this goes. Those would be pretty low sales for the brand.
i'm referring to the worldwide audience btw. MH is gonna sell regardless of how it looks in Japan. I'm not saying graphics aren't important but you don't have to be a Horizon tier stunner to sell well.

Vena

i'm referring to the worldwide audience btw. MH is gonna sell regardless of how it looks in Japan. I'm not saying graphics aren't important but you don't have to be a Horizon tier stunner to sell well.

What I am saying is that those sales numbers, in the raw, would be really low. MH selling on the same level as Nier/Nioh would be a huge decline for the brand.

Like, Capcom would be running around in a panic if the next MH sold that much.

cheesekao

What I am saying is that those sales numbers, in the raw, would be really low. MH selling on the same level as Nier/Nioh would be a huge decline for the brand.
Domestically? Sure. Internationally? Doubt it. A mainline MH ain't gonna sell as low as those two in Japan so there's no point in comparing Japanese sales.

I agree.

When Capcom said that they needed to look beyond handhelds to grow the franchise in the west, they weren't talking about Switch lol

Vena

Domestically? Sure. Internationally? Doubt it.

Then I am confused. Nier and Nioh haven't really sold to some grandiose high standard in any region, they've done really well all in all for what they are globally and in Japan but in no region would they be a good comparison to MH performance.

I didn't realize the Switch was a handheld only.

When Capcom made that statement, the Switch hadn't even been released yet. Do you honestly think that in their comment, they were talking about an unreleased system that looks to succeed the system that they said was holding back Monster Hunter's potential in the west?

They were talking about PS4/XB1/PC.

casiopao

When Capcom made that statement, the Switch hadn't even been released yet. Do you honestly think that in their comment, they were talking about an unreleased system that looks to succeed the system that they said was holding back Monster Hunter's potential in the west?

Not being released does not mean they dont know about Switch though.

Passose

Banned
I mean duh? This isn't selling 2 million in any reality.
I know, just wonder what title is it going to be? DMC5? MH5?Okami2?

It was on November though, the switch trailer was shown a few months before that

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I know, just wonder what title is it going to be? DMC5? MH5?Okami2?

They didn't give a sales estimate, so it's harder to guess. We know it's 1+ million copies, but we don't know if that's literally just a 1 million expectation or a 5 million expectation or etc.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

I'm sure Capcom had no idea about the Switch.

Top Bottom