• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 22, 2017 (May 29 - Jun 04)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Capcom probably think MHXX Switch has at least 500k to a million in it.
Not that it means much since reality and Capcom expectations are two different things but they see less than a million for MHXX Switch this FY and that number could also include western sales. At next quarter they will give their forecast for Monster Hunter World and we will see how high or low it is but still they won't break sales per region.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Sony fanboys will celebrate getting a flashy new Monster Hunter, Nintendo fanboys will celebrate that it's not MH5. After an hour of excitement both camps will go on war again over whether or not Monster Hunter World is better or worse than a properly named MH mainline game. "It's just a spin off!" "No, it's the future of Monster Hunter!"

Gonna be fun either way.
Sale will be the ultimate judge, nobody can hide from them.

It might take 1-2 more years but I believe we will finally get rid of this Monster Hunter lunacy.

Kawasaki, close enough although I was in Akihabara earlier today. But I finally got it!... used, at my local Kizuki Geo a couple minutes from home.

... They were out of New, and I snagged the only Used copy.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It has to be announced/revealed first, and I think it is deliberately being kept hidden until after the initial launch period. This would/could, in theory hurt long-term legs but not upfront performance which could be "surprising".
It probably doesn't help that we know there's a switch version and so there could be people that just chooses to wait for that, especially when splatoon 2 and ARMS coming out which would interfere with a long rpg vying for your time.

goldage

Banned
It probably doesn't help that we know there's a switch version and so there could be people that just chooses to wait for that, especially when splatoon 2 and ARMS coming out which would interfere with a long rpg vying for your time.
so splatoon exists to sabotage dqxi sales until switch version gets released

nintendo still salty about ffvii fiasco

What is going on here lol
Can't believe some are trying to formulate Monster Hunter World expectations by looking at Capcom's total unit sales predictions for the FY. Thats a very difficult game to play, as Fdkn pointed out, considering you have multiple predictions, and unaccounted legacy title sales with digital.

RE4,5,6 sold 2.8 million last FY. Even the HD remasters continue to sell 100k. Without a doubt this is why Capcom wants DD:R and RER PS4, as they will continue to rack up sales on said platform due to its current activity.

Eolz

Sure, pot kettle black or however goes the saying. I won't dare to try to argue sales in a sales thread next time.

I don't think anybody hope it bombs, but is there any reason why it'd sell close to a million in japan and ps4 only?

Fdkn

I don't think anybody hope it bombs, but is there any reason why it'd sell close to a million in japan and ps4 only?

We haven't seen the game and I think the 4chan rumour is stupid and based on a stupid premise (so fake/wrong), but my whole reasoning has been that it doesn't need to sell those ~1,2million to reach that forecast... whatever.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
An HD port sold almost half a mil on the PS3.

1m for MW is more doable than people think.

I think 1M is the upper limit. MH Tri sputtered to a million and that was on a bigger userbase with no radical gameplay changes. Obviously depends on how radically they changed things around.

Oregano

Sure, pot kettle black or however goes the saying. I won't dare to try to argue sales in a sales thread next time.

To all the people you could throw that back at I'm probably one of the worst, especially considering I said that forecast would be pretty easy if they have another one or two releases.

Eolz

Next step on the meltdown train: if MHW actually turns out to be a good game and a commercial success.

I actually hope it's a good game (please no Capcom Vancouver) despite joking about it. Just like I hoped the same for Stories and Dragon's Dogma.
It will be hard to see if it's a commercial success WW until we see some gameplay however.

An HD port sold almost half a mil on the PS3.

1m for MW is more doable than people think.

The PS4 is not the PS3, even less the Wii.
We're talking about Japan here, not the west numbers.

We haven't seen the game and I think the 4chan rumour is stupid and based on a stupid premise (so fake/wrong), but my whole reasoning has been that it doesn't need to sell those ~1,2million to reach that forecast... whatever.

Fair enough. I just think it's gonna be really difficult for this specifc region.
There's always a possibility though, they might only fall short for example.

schuelma

That would make it the best selling MH of all time with 4 million+ sales overseas, even outdoing Souls lol

Its also in all likelihood going to be the most expensive game in the series, probably by a substantial margin. What do you think Capcom is going to expect?

Oregano

Its also in all likelihood going to be the most expensive game in the series, probably by a substantial margin. What do you think Capcom is going to expect?

Considering 4, 4U and Generations all did a bit over 4 million worldwide I can't imagine Capcom would be happy with anything less than that for what will be a much more expensive product and one they can't as easily iterate on as past games.

schuelma

Considering 4, 4U and Generations all did a bit over 4 million worldwide I can't imagine Capcom would be happy with anything less than that for what will be a much more expensive product and one they can't as easily iterate on as past games.

Right. And the presumed point of the game is to expand. If Capcom is fine with 4 million, they would never leave portables in the first place.

Fdkn

They probably won't sell a console game in the west at 39,99 unlike the handheld games and they may have a dlc model from this decade too, so it's not only units vs units

The increased dev costs need to be faced anyway, Switch is not ps2 level anymore.

Oregano

They probably won't sell a console game in the west at 39,99 unlike the handheld games and they may have a dlc model from this decade too, so it's not only units vs units

The increased dev costs need to be faced anyway, Switch is not ps2 level anymore.

There's a massive gulf between a Japanese focused game on Switch level hardware and a western focused game on PS4 level hardware.

The fact that they're selling MHXX for full price on Switch should tell you that.

That would make it the best selling MH of all time with 4 million+ sales overseas, even outdoing Souls lol
Why bother with anything less? I think that rumor makes sense if you look at it this way. With such massive sales necessary to warrant the huge uptick in costs Capcom is dependant on support from hw makers to take these risks.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
There's a massive gulf between a Japanese focused game on Switch level hardware and a western focused game on PS4 level hardware.

The fact that they're selling MHXX for full price on Switch should tell you that.

What? Those two things have nothing to do with each other unless your were somehow expectng they weren't going to sell a port of XX at full price.

Kandinsky

Guys, I bet the trailer ends with 'Monster Hunter World" and then the 'Vorld' fades away, get it?, as in V, I tells ya, this gonna be hype af.

For the players.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Week 24, 2017 (Jun 12 - Jun 18)

new releases

{2017.06.14}
[3DS] Asdivine Cross _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <RPG> (Kemco) (¥1.000)

{2017.06.15}
[NSW] Mighty Gunvolt Burst _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Inti Creates) (¥907)
[PS4] Shu _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Coatsink Software) (¥1.250)
[PSV] Shu _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Coatsink Software) (¥1.250)

{2017.06.16}
[NSW] Arms <FTG> (Nintendo) (¥5.980)
[NSW] Arms (&#949;) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Nintendo) (¥5.980)
[PS4] Bridge Constructor _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Rainy Frog) (¥925)
___

YSO predictions
01. [NSW] Arms < 75k (average 65k)
02. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe < 20k (average 15k)
03. < 10K

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Sure it does. They can sell a port of MHXX for full price on Switch because expectations are lower.

That doesn't make a lick of sense like not even the tiniest bit. That's 1+1=4 for level. Why would low expectations allow them to charge at full price. Your either arguing that high expectations means that that can charge more than full price or less than full price. The way your talking makes it sound like the later which is nonsense. I hope it's the former but even that makes little sense in why you'd fel the need to point this out.

I think it's true that people's expectations for Switch graphics are not as high as for PS4 graphics because the Switch can be considered the 3DS successor, but the PS4 is just a home console.

Oregano

That doesn't make a lick of sense like not even the tiniest bit. That's 1+1=4 for level. Why would low expectations allow them to charge at full price. Your either arguing that high expectations means that that can charge more than full price or less than full price. The way your talking makes it sound like the later which is nonsense. I hope it's the former but even that makes little sense in why you'd fel the need to point this out.

This guy gets what I mean:

I think it's true that people's expectations for Switch graphics are not as high as for PS4 graphics because the Switch can be considered the 3DS successor, but the PS4 is just a home console.

Expectations for a Switch game are lower so despite the fact that MHXX has poor graphics by today's standard they can still charge full price for it.

Zedark

new releases

{2017.06.14}

{2017.06.15}
[NSW] Mighty Gunvolt Burst _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Inti Creates) (¥907)

{2017.06.16}
[NSW] Arms (&#949;) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Nintendo) (¥5.980)
[PS4] Bridge Constructor _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Rainy Frog) (¥925)
___

YSO predictions
03. < 10K

Apparently the YSO predictions aren't expecting increased shipment for ARMS, looking at the MK8D's numbers?

oh wait, damn it

Heh, I thought you were joking, but you just misread!

casiopao

new releases

{2017.06.14}

{2017.06.15}

{2017.06.16}
___

YSO predictions
03. < 10K

Damn thats ARMS YSO predictions is literally bomba on epic proposition. O_O

Top Bottom