• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2012 (Jun 04 - Jun 10)

Really? Because as of the end of this past year, this is what the 3DS iteration of that Gundam series sold:

Gundam: The 3D Battle - 23,500/62,390
That game came out a month after the 3DS launch, and is probably less relevant than Gundam Seed.

EDIT: Disregards the launch period, just checked the archive and both install bases were pretty much at the same level.

wotta

If DQM has stock problems, won't that just drive people in Japan to buy it online? If they do then the figures won't show up in the charts next week.

Takao

Banned
That Gundam was a flop as well.
But we know how Gundam tipically sells on Nintendo platforms, and how on Sony platforms. Furthermore, Vita owners should be really hungry of games, and 3DS sold way more than Vita back when 3D Battle was released. Etc. etc.

Gundam 3D was released right after launch of 3DS. You know, the launch that had a whole lot of nothing. The userbase excuse is apt, but only paints a worse picture for the 3DS iteration. The Vita version will outsell it despite being on a much smaller userbase.

Gundam 3D was released right after launch of 3DS. You know, the launch that had a whole lot of nothing. The userbase excuse is apt, but only paints a worse picture for the 3DS iteration. The Vita version will outsell it despite being on a much smaller userbase.

It's not like the Vita version came alone.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The Japanese public recognizes and rewards quality.

Huh, I thought the scores for this game were mediocre? That's basing it on 4gamer's source.

test_account

XP-39C²
After seeing the Tokyo Jungle sales, i wonder if this will result in a retail version in the west as well. Another example is that Gravity Rush was suppose to be a PSN-only release in the west, but it got a retail version.

How do you mean?

Well, launch line-up in Japan was pretty nice and in fact it kept selling quite well in the first weeks; Layton, Nintendogs, Street Fighters, Samurai Warriors, Winning Eleven and Ridge Racer in particular. The problem came a month and a half after the launch, with all delays (One Piece, Tales of, Dead or Alive, Pilotwings). Btw, I see Gundam on Vita having much higher production values than The 3D Battle, and imo both are to be considered bombs (guessing that Gundam Seed will disappear from the chart in two-three weeks).

Takao

Banned

Huh?

For a userbase comparison:
3DS: 792.954
PSP: 1,849,954
(via Media Create)

Gundam Battle series debuts slightly higher on Vita than it did on PSP despite the latter having more than a million on the former. Looks like they're starting from square one with the series.

Road

The Vita is just unstoppable. It'll probably sell over 20k next week. Could you believe that.

It nearly doubled last week sales, and it should double again this week. It'll keep doubling and doubling and at this rate it'll pass the 3DS LTD in three months, when it'll sell 4 million in one week.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City.

Resident Evil is a recognized IP that sells well even if they are spinoffs, meaning there are people who will buy it blindly. Tokyo Jungle is new IP all together so this means that people will purchase it if it looks interesting to them.

Takao

Banned
Well, launch line-up in Japan was pretty nice and in fact it kept selling quite well in the first weeks; Layton, Nintendogs, Street Fighters, Samurai Warriors, Winning Eleven and Ridge Racer in particular. The problem came a month and a half after the launch, with all delays (One Piece, Tales of, Dead or Alive, Pilotwings). Btw, I see Gundam on Vita having much higher production values than The 3D Battle, and imo both are to be considered bombs (guessing that Gundam Seed will disappear from the chart in two-three weeks).

The numbers may show a failure given the context of its budget (though, the game really doesn't look that expensive, it looks like the average Gundam game with AA applied) and its shipment, but within the context of the platform it's on, and the past performance of similar releases in the series (it was in decline on PSP) it didn't fair too poorly. It's not a spectacular debut by any means, just entertaining for me to see how the cards landed.

As for Gundam, we're discussing about a game that in the general situation did nothing for Vita and did nothing for itself in establishing a brand on the platform. Period.

The numbers may show a failure given the context of its budget (though, the game really doesn't look that expensive, it looks like the average Gundam game with AA applied) and its shipment, but within the context of the platform it's on, and the past performance of similar releases in the series (it was in decline on PSP) it didn't fair too poorly. It's not a spectacular debut by any means, just entertaining for me to see how the cards landed.

Yeah, I think 60-70k would be enough to break-even. But in the overall situation it's still nothing.
I expect a Gundam vs Gundam doing something on bringing some users on Vita.

Doubling hardware sales did nothing?

If a high-profile 360 release came out and doubled its sales it would be notable but ultimately irrelevant. Vita is almost certain to plunge back down to sub-10k levels next week so the fact it jumped from "bloody abysmal" to "pretty crap" for a week isn't worth getting the bunting out for.

jman2050

If a high-profile 360 release came out and doubled its sales it would be notable but ultimately irrelevant. Vita is almost certain to plunge back down to sub-10k levels next week so the fact it jumped from "bloody abysmal" to "pretty crap" for a week isn't worth getting the bunting out for.

Persona will ensure that doesn't happen.

Within the next 2-3 weeks though, yeah, that seems likely.

lol, check the chart next week, enjoy those "sub-10k levels".

Frillen

Are people serious when it comes to the Vita or just being sarcastic? Have expectations been lowered so much that 13k is impressive? Because I remember some weeks ago when the Vita hit 13k for the first time and people were saying different things.

Are people serious when it comes to the Vita or just being sarcastic? Have expectations been lowered so much that 13k is impressive? Because I remember some weeks ago when the Vita hit 13k for the first time and people were saying different things.

I'm pretty sure we are just making fun of it.

Doubling hardware sales did nothing?

In the overall situation... Yes. I'm doubtful Gundam and Person can keep Vita higher than 10k for more than a month to be generous. Also, 3DS, which the direct competitor, does on average 50k per week, and PSP still puts respectable numbers. It's not that Vita went from 7k to 35-40k for a month.

We don't really expect a heartbeat or a pulse. All we're doing is poking at the body and wondering when rigor mortis is gonna set in.

Takao

Banned
In the overall situation... Yes. I'm doubtful Gundam and Person can keep Vita higher than 10k for more than a month to be generous. Also, 3DS, which the direct competitor, does on average 50k per week, and PSP still puts respectable numbers. It's not that Vita went from 7k to 35-40k for a month.

A new Gundam Battle wasn't ever going to bring Vita from 7k to 40k. It gave it a bump, which is all that can be expected from it. If the game wasn't released Vita probably would've still sold within that 7k range, so its release did effect hardware sales. It will be a very short effect for sure, but an effect none the less.

Within the next 2-3 weeks though, yeah, that seems likely.

Metal Gear HD hits June 28, so Vita may go through June above 10k. July's looking very barren though.

donny2112

It nearly doubled last week sales, and it should double again this week. It'll keep doubling and doubling and at this rate it'll pass the 3DS LTD in three months, when it'll sell 4 million in one week.

homerdiscostu.jpg

That launch still consists of games thats sold more than any Vita games. Vita owners are starved for games.

800k vs 730k is a much smaller userbase now? lol

A new Gundam Battle wasn't ever going to bring Vita from 7k to 40k. It gave it a bump, which is all that can be expected from it. If the game wasn't released Vita probably would've still sold within that 7k range, so its release did effect hardware sales. It will be a very short effect for sure, but an effect none the less.

Bumps needs to be maintained with a steady supply of other desirable games, or otherwise it just becomes a momentary detour from the overall trend.

Takao

Banned
As I said before, Gundam's debut isn't amazing by any means, and Vita's sales are still very poor (and even if Persona somehow knocks it to 25k next week, that's still not good) but it doesn't hurt to point out the obvious sometimes. ;)

Really, I'm just curious as to what happens when games on smaller install bases outsell similar ones on a larger install base. For the shooter genre on 360 vs. PS3 it's the fact that the genre built up an audience on 360 years prior. For Gundam maybe it is the series' longstanding ties to Sony hardware.

Top Bottom