• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2012 (Jun 04 - Jun 10)

As I said before, Gundam's debut isn't amazing by any means, and Vita's sales are still very poor (and even if Persona somehow knocks it to 25k next week, that's still not good) but it doesn't hurt to point out the obvious sometimes. ;)

Really, I'm just curious as to what happens when games on smaller install bases outsell similar ones on a larger install base. For the shooter genre on 360 vs. PS3 it's the fact that the genre built up an audience on 360 years prior. For Gundam maybe it is the series' longstanding ties to Sony hardware.
Or maybe its the fact that Vita has no games, or maybe SEED is more popular, or that userbase difference is negligible when each game launched.

But lets go with "Sony hardware" being the reason.

If a high-profile 360 release came out and doubled its sales it would be notable but ultimately irrelevant. Vita is almost certain to plunge back down to sub-10k levels next week so the fact it jumped from "bloody abysmal" to "pretty crap" for a week isn't worth getting the bunting out for.
It'll happen again pretty soon. Not before Persona 4.

jimmypython

As I said before, Gundam's debut isn't amazing by any means, and Vita's sales are still very poor (and even if Persona somehow knocks it to 25k next week, that's still not good) but it doesn't hurt to point out the obvious sometimes. ;)

Really, I'm just curious as to what happens when games on smaller install bases outsell similar ones on a larger install base. For the shooter genre on 360 vs. PS3 it's the fact that the genre built up an audience on 360 years prior. For Gundam maybe it is the series' longstanding ties to Sony hardware.

oh Takao is back!!!

The PSP has finally relinquished the baton to the Vita, who manages to look like he's actually participating in the race. Unfortunately, the 3DS is a little more than 600 km away, and the PSP looks like he'll be passing by the Vita after a few more km since nobody told him that he needed to actually get off the track.

Takao

Banned
Or maybe its the fact that Vita has no games, or maybe SEED is more popular, or that userbase difference is negligible when each game launched.

But lets go with "Sony hardware" being the reason.

When both launched the userbase difference was indeed negligible but the Vita game still sold about twice what the 3DS one did. So, maybe it's a combination of all the above? Prior to Gundam 3D the Battle series was PSP exclusive, that's a strike against 3D given it launched early on in the 3DS's life. I don't know the popularity of the Cosmic Era Gundam universe versus the popularity of the U.C. universe in Japan so I can't really comment on that. And yeah, I'm not going to argue against 3D Battle having better competition on the software front than Vita does.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Which new PS3 ips sold over 100k copies?
Catherine, Dragon's Dogma and...?

Overall? Catherine, Dragon's Dogma, Tokyo Jungle, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, Bayonetta, NieR Replicant, White Knight Chronicles, End of Eternity (Resonance of Fate), I'm guessing Ni no Kuni inched a bit to 100k.

Takao

Banned
Overall? Catherine, Dragon's Dogma, Tokyo Jungle, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, Bayonetta, NieR Replicant, White Knight Chronicles, End of Eternity (Resonance of Fate), I'm guessing Ni no Kuni inched a bit to 100k.

At the end of 2011 Media Create reported that the PS3 version of Nino Kuni hit 121,125 copies. Big bomba, and I'm unsure if you can even consider that a new IP given the DS version debuted prior.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So decent games move HW. Now the Vita just needs more of that. And Tokyo Jungle, YOU DIRTY RAT WHORE YOU, way to go!

June will probably be good to Vita with P4 this week and a new color at the end of the month. Vita sales will probably shoot up to 30k. :p

Takao

Banned
Oh yeah, I should mention that Tokyo Jungle is by far the biggest debut in the PlayStation C.A.M.P. series history:

[PSP] Patchwork Heroes (SCE) - 6,661 / 6,661
[PSP] Echochrome (SCE) - 24,974 / 82,348
[PSP] My Stylist (SCE) - 3,000 / 3,000
[PSP] Diamond and the Sound of a Gun Shot (SCE) - 2,400 / 2,400
[PSP] Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! (SCE) - 28,558 / 138,382

(via Famitsu)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Also Resistance, Little Big Planet, and Bladestorm (if you count that one).

But for Week 1 sales, only Resonance of Fate, Bayonetta, Catherine, Dark Souls, WKC, and Dragon's Dogma beat TJ.

No, sorry, I meant the first week :D

ElFly

When both launched the userbase difference was indeed negligible but the Vita game still sold about twice what the 3DS one did. So, maybe it's a combination of all the above? Prior to Gundam 3D the Battle series was PSP exclusive, that's a strike against 3D given it launched early on in the 3DS's life. I don't know the popularity of the Cosmic Era Gundam universe versus the popularity of the U.C. universe in Japan so I can't really comment on that. And yeah, I'm not going to argue against 3D Battle having better competition on the software front than Vita does.

The jump in hw sales was only 6000 units, which is reasonable to attribute to Gundam, which would leave 34000 gundam sales unaccounted.

Of those I'd attribute at least half of those to it being the only vita game released this week. I mean, other Vita games have opened at around 40000 too, regardless of install base.

That 100% bump in Vita sales looks very promising - With the right software the hardware sales will follow.
Will be very interesting how Persona 4 will affect hardware sales.

muu

Surprised Tokyo Jungle sold this well. It'd be a great success story if they didn't make it painfully obvious that they were manipulating Amazon.co.jp's bestsellers list (was #1~3 for the last 2 months, followed by a sharp dropoff immediately after release). I guess you could call it 'advertising,' though Amazon is apparently cracking down in some facets.

Amazing showing for Vita. Where are those people saying "vita are dead have no gamz" now?!

So amazing that it's selling almost 25% as well as the 3DS in the same week. Goes to show that they need well-known IPs to keep the system afloat.

Taker666

That 100% bump in Vita sales looks very promising - With the right software the hardware sales will follow.
Will be very interesting how Persona 4 will affect hardware sales.

I'd expect at least another doubling of sales...at least.

Persona 4 has be near the top of most Famitsu "most wanted" lists in recent months...and although Amazon doesn't give a massive insight into sales, Persona 4 is currently number 1 and both versions of the Vita hardware are certanly charting far higher than usual. I wouldn't be surprised if it put Vita sales in spitting distance of the 3DS.

Taurus

Amazing showing for Vita. Where are those people saying "vita are dead have no gamz" now?!
a81b0c08_8de09-NotSureIfSerious.jpeg

Congrats to Vita on getting it's 2nd stronger franchise debut than 3DS. Will Metal Gear continue the trend?

Gundam 3DS also hit right in wake of last year's horrible disasters, which is probably a significantly bigger issue than either Sony loyalism or a fuller 3DS lineup. It (and Famista) bombing so hard probably helped drive Namdai into delaying One Piece and Tales afterwards, which seemingly paid off for those titles given they sold decently.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Even though everyone saw the games coming this month, it's still surprising to see Vita show signs of life again. Games are the real life support system.

God, people are seriously trying to claim that these sales are "Low"? SEED is a series that's been over for over 6 years now and the last portable Gundam game debuted far lower than this as previously discussed. On top of all this there's still an unknown number of digital-only sales.

I seriously can't believe that people are seriously trying to use this as some sort of Doom and gloom for the system's ability to sell games. Are we going to do this for every game to include Pachislot releases?

saichi

I'd expect at least another doubling of sales...at least.

Persona 4 has be near the top of most Famitsu "most wanted" lists in recent months...and although Amazon doesn't give a massive insight into sales, Persona 4 is currently number 1 and both versions of the Vita hardware are certanly charting far higher than usual. I wouldn't be surprised if it put Vita sales in spitting distance of the 3DS.

that list doesn't mean much. a month ago it was like this.

01/01. [PS3] Resident Evil 6 (Capcom, 10/04/12) – 1903 votes
02/02. [PS3] Dragon’s Dogma (Capcom, 05/24/12) – 1693 votes
03/03. [Wii] Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online (Square Enix, 08/02/12) – 1438 votes
04/04. [PSV] Persona 4 Golden (Atlus, 06/14/12) – 1288 votes
05/05. [NDS] Pokemon Black & White 2 (Nintendo, 06/23/12) – 1274 votes
06/06. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom, TBA) – 1233 votes
07/07. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry’s Wonderland 3D (Square Enix, 05/31/12) – 1055 votes

I don't think DQM 3D was ever higher than P4G but there is no way P4G LT will sell anywhere close to DMQ 3D FW. And we are not even talking about Pokemon yet.

The same can be said about Dragon’s Dogma as well.

Alrus

I'm pretty certain Mileena is a joke account.

I seriously can't believe that people are seriously trying to use this as some sort of Doom and gloom for the system's ability to sell games. Are we going to do this for every game to include Pachislot releases?

Who are you talking about? Nobody said that.

Gundam sales are low though, Seed might be old but they just broadcast an HD remaster. And the last portable Gundam Battle game was released in different conditions that weren't really favorable either. Anyway it was a flop and this one is too. The series used to do much better on the PSP.

liger05

I'm pretty certain the last time the Vita got a 'healthy' bump to like 14k sales people on here were going overboard and within a few weeks it was back to the below 10k.

The vita got a bump which is nice but 13k is not very good at all.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Congrats to Vita on getting it's 2nd stronger franchise debut than 3DS. Will Metal Gear continue the trend?

Gundam 3DS also hit right in wake of last year's horrible disasters, which is probably a significantly bigger issue than either Sony loyalism or a fuller 3DS lineup. It (and Famista) bombing so hard probably helped drive Namdai into delaying One Piece and Tales afterwards, which seemingly paid off for those titles given Tales sold decently and One Piece did outstanding numbers, over 260k

Fixed :p

iammeiam

Nothing makes me sadder for Vita than realizing sub-14k sales is really a spike worth celebrating, and that the great hope for the only major title on the horizon is a 30k week.

KillGore

Oh wow, I've actually never noticed the lifetime sales of the Xbox 360 in Japan. Vita is selling so bad over there and it's already halfway through 360's total sales in half a year. Why the hell does microsoft even bother? 1.5 million? LOL

Top Bottom