• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2017 (Jun 05 - Jun 11)

KtSlime

MH World not being on Switch is entirely on Nintendo for leaving Capcom hanging in regards to a successor for both the 3DS and the Wii U for so long. Capcom was ready to move the series off of the 3DS a long time ago, but Nintendo's next move was still up in the air.

Creating this brand new title for PS4/XB1 and PC takes a lot of resources. If Capcom had the resources to develop a Switch version alongside those 3 other SKU's, they would. Either way, handheld MH will still continue so it's irrelevant.

I don't know how long Nintendo left Capcom hanging with information regarding the Switch, but I imagine they were probably one of the first developers to get to see the system. Anyway, yeah, handheld MH will in all likelihood continue.

Arc System Works

Arc was on Switch at launch with Othello.

Nanashrew

Banned
MH World not being on Switch is entirely on Nintendo for leaving Capcom hanging in regards to a successor for both the 3DS and the Wii U for so long. Capcom was ready to move the series off of the 3DS a long time ago, but Nintendo's next move was still up in the air.

Creating this brand new title for PS4/XB1 and PC takes a lot of resources. If Capcom had the resources to develop a Switch version alongside those 3 other SKU's, they would. Either way, handheld MH will still continue so it's irrelevant.

I'm not sure I understand as the Wii U is 4.5-5 years old and the 3DS is I think 6 now? Switch is right on time as a new system is concerned. It's an odd statement to make too seeing as they consulted Capcom about the system and it was Capcom who even suggested to Nintendo to increase the RAM for the Switch, to which Nintendo complied.

I'm not sure I understand as the Wii U is 4.5-5 years old and the 3DS is I think 6 now? Switch is right on time as a new system is concerned. It's an odd statement to make too seeing as they consulted Capcom about the system and it was Capcom who even suggested to Nintendo to increase the RAM for the Switch, to which Nintendo complied.

Hasn't Monster Hunter World been in development since 2013 (four years)? If that's the case, they really couldn't wait on Nintendo.

I think MHW makes a ton of sense for Capcom, so long as they have more portable MH titles coming. It's good to have the series on both home and handheld platforms.

I don't know how long Nintendo left Capcom hanging with information regarding the Switch, but I imagine they were probably one of the first developers to get to see the system. Anyway, yeah, handheld MH will in all likelihood continue.

Arc was on Switch at launch with Othello.

Left them hanging probably isn't the right word, but my point is that them being ready to move the series to stronger hardware and Nintendo not having the available hardware to facilitate that at the time is why this isn't on the Switch. They're building this new game from the ground up for three platforms already. Adding a 4th one isn't as simple as some of you think. Even if Nintendo showed Capcom the Switch in 2015, the system would still be 2 years away from release and at that point, MH World would have been in development for at least a year and a half.

See above.
Hasn't Monster Hunter World been in development since 2013 (four years)? If that's the case, they really couldn't wait on Nintendo.

I think MHW makes a ton of sense for Capcom, so long as they have more portable MH titles coming. It's good to have the series on both home and handheld platforms.

Definitely. I think it's silly to think that there's not a market out there for this type of game on consoles. The only barometer we have is Toukiden, but Toukiden, in my opinion, is not a good video game and nowhere near the quality of Monster Hunter. Even if Monster Hunter World can't reach the heights of the 3DS and PSP games, there could still be a healthy market for it on PS4/XB1/PC.

Kyoufu

While that is likely, as there is no other way for Capcom to do it, MHW could have been released on the Switch as well as PS4/Xbox, there is nothing that I saw that couldn't be handled by Switch. Aside from a re-release of XX, they have not announced any plans for Switch, and I don't expect them to do until sometime after World is out. World being a passion project or not, this seems like a poor business decision. Wouldn't you agree?

Don't forget that they're unable to get the PC version out on the same day as the PS4/XB1 versions. A downgraded port for Switch would come out even later than the PC version. At that point why bother? Just wait for the new Switch game from Ichinose's team.

Nanashrew

Banned

It might have been. But yeah, 2013, Nintendo couldn't do much at all there. Wii U came out in November 2012, 2013 was its first year. 3DS had already been on the market for at least 2 years.

Monster Hunter needs Switch.

Switch doesn't need Monster Hunter.

Let's make that very clear.

Capcom is losing more than Nintendo by not putting Monster Hunter World on Switch.

I'm still not sure why third parties like Capcom and Square Enix expected the PS4 to blow up in Japan. There was nothing to indicate that.
I feel SE has been trying their best to make PS4 big. Revealing FFXV and KH3 at its reveal is likely a large part of why the PS4 has sold as well as it has.
Weird that SE greatly decreased the amount of portable games they made this generation. Felt like those were easy and fast to make and maybe sold well?
On DS and PSP they made:
TWEWY
KH 358/2
KH Re:Coded
KH BBS
Crisis Core
Two dissidia games
FF Type 0
Dragon Quest IX
2 Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
And a bunch of other spin offs.

I believe they only made like KH3D and maybe FF Explorers of that Caliber.
I feel 3DS's slow start burned a lot of publishers and they started looking elsewhere and it was probably too late when it turned around.

Nanashrew

Banned
Don't forget that they're unable to get the PC version out on the same day as the PS4/XB1 versions. A downgraded port for Switch would come out even later than the PC version. At that point why bother? Just wait for the new Switch game from Ichinose's team.

I mean, I'm still down for that, just so long as they plan to localize them. I'd hate for them to take a back seat because of the new console MH.

Capcom is losing more than Nintendo by not putting Monster Hunter World on Switch.

Keep telling yourself this. It won't make it true.

I mean, I'm still down for that, just so long as they plan to localize them. I'd hate for them to take a back seat because of the new console MH.

The inevitable Switch MH game will come, but Capcom can only do so much at once. If Nintendo followed the same "rules" as Microsoft and Sony in regards to their home console hardware cycles, this game would likely have been on their system as well.

This is probably true (at least the Switch needing it bit). PSP's success in japan was largely attributed to games like Monster Hunter.
Vita's poor sales globally were likely attributed to it lacking a big franchise like Monster Hunter.

But, with franchises like Mario, Splatoon, Dragon Quest, and Pokemon all confirmed it doesn't really need it as much but it sure would help.

Sandfox

I feel SE has been trying their best to make PS4 big. Revealing FFXV and KH3 at its reveal is likely a large part of why the PS4 has sold as well as it has.
Weird that SE greatly decreased the amount of portable games they made this generation. Felt like those were easy and fast to make and maybe sold well?
On DS and PSP they made:
TWEWY
KH 358/2
KH Re:Coded
KH BBS
Crisis Core
Two dissidia games
FF Type 0
Dragon Quest IX
2 Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
And a bunch of other spin offs.

I believe they only made like KH3D and maybe FF Explorers of that Caliber.
I feel 3DS's slow start burned a lot of publishers and they started looking elsewhere and it was probably too late when it turned around.

Off the top of my head you're forgetting about the Bravely Default games, DQMJ3, and the three Theatrhythm games. That really depends on what you mean by "that calibur" though.

Off the top of my head you're forgetting about the Bravely Default games, DQMJ3, and the three Theatrhythm games. That really depends on what you mean by "that calibur" though.
I guess BD can fit into that. Not sure if Theatrhythm is a bit smaller, tho.
Nothing as big as Dissidia, Birth By Sleep, Crisis Core, Type 0 etc.

Nanashrew

Banned
Keep telling yourself this. It won't make it true.

The inevitable Switch MH game will come, but Capcom can only do so much at once. If Nintendo followed the same "rules" as Microsoft and Sony in regards to their home console hardware cycles, this game would likely have been on their system as well.

Well, I guess Nintendo could help out more like they did on the 3DS and Wii U. Like help speed up localization, provide some distribution, and marketing.

I don't see what's so wrong about it? The Switch absolutely does not NEED Monster Hunter, and the bulk of Monster Hunter sales would come from being on a portable...

Saying the Switch doesn't need MH at all is kind of ludicrous. Do you think the 3DS would have reached it's current LTD in Japan without Monster Hunter? The data suggests otherwise. I'd argue that MH was more instrumental in 3DS's success in Japan than most games outside of Pokemon.

watershed

Banned

The Switch probably doesn't need MH World in Japan or in the west, but it would be nice to have it. I think the game will make some noise.

But the Switch does need MH on the Switch, especially in Japan where MH is a huge system seller. It is already getting MHXX but if that was the last MH to appear on the platform, Nintendo would feel it.

Sandfox

Saying the Switch doesn't need MH at all is kind of ludicrous. Do you think the 3DS would have reached it's current LTD in Japan without Monster Hunter? The data suggests otherwise. I'd argue that MH was more instrumental in 3DS's success in Japan than most games outside of Pokemon.

Can you post this data?

It's got *a* Monster Hunter which will help.
Having more 1st party backing should help pick up the slack as well. There's also no PSP3 in sight...for now

It's true that the switch doesn't need monster hunter. It's set to keep selling out the rest of the year regardless and next year will have a similarly strong line-up IMO (if animal crossing and Pokemon hit then it'll be much stronger).

Having said that the switch still has some monster hunter presence. Obviously XX isn't as big a new entry but it still gives switch owners a chance to play monster hunter. I think XX will sell well and as the switch user base soars we'll see more monster hunter in some fashion.

I'm not sure I agree that world will be a total failure. We just have no idea how it'll be received overseas. IMO it'll perform better than many are expecting in Japan and will sell somewhere around 1-1.4 million in Japan. The rest just depends on how western audiences like the game and also how much more they can monetise that audience through DLC.

Maybe it'll end up being a stroke of genius. When monster hunter eventually comes to the switch it'll still sell amazingly well in Japan. This might give them the chance to sell more overseas as well in the future. Maybe this is their attempt to avoid the franchise being like DQ and only really selling in one region (and a shrinking market at that).

sanstesy

I'm laughing at the fact that people even entertain the "Nintendo left Capcom hanging" argument. Have you ever witnessed hardware transitions?

Look, there is no problem with Capcom wanting to widen the appeal of MH in the west by releasing the new installment on PS4/XBO/PC. That's all there is to it and there is no need to make up any silly excuses. Capcom has been very transparent about this, it's their decision and it will work out or it won't.

Busaiku

If Monster Hunter World isn't successful and negatively impacts Monster Hunter as a whole, wouldn't that effectively be the death of the hunting genre?
Like every other game avoided 3DS, and are now on PS4 primarily (following Vita), and are all on decline.

I'm laughing at the fact that people even entertain the "Nintendo left Capcom hanging" argument. Have you ever witnessed hardware transitions?

Look, there is no problem with Capcom wanting to widen the appeal of MH in the west by releasing the new installment on PS4/XBO/PC. That's all there is to it and there is no need to make up any silly excuses. Capcom has been very transparent about this, it's their decision and it will work out or it won't.
THANK YOU

I wonder if MHXX's sales will be fairly bad and send the wrong message to Capcom.
It's pretty unfortunate since Capcom wasn't there at launch and will be releasing considerably after everyone knows about World.

Assuming Monster Hunter XX is a sign that they're probably thinking about the franchise on Switch (they never ported a MH game to Vita, for example) they might decide based on that.

I've said multiple times in the past that Capcom wasn't considering supporting Switch basically at all until recently. Pretty sure that's the case with how things have turned out.
Pretty unfortunate that even as a success out the gate the 3rd party situation still isn't very good on Nintendo systems.

Will be interesting to see how it turns out. Maybe the 4chan rumor is true and they'll use MHW assets for a MH game on Switch or maybe they're just not going to support Switch going forward.

Kyoufu

If Monster Hunter World isn't successful and negatively impacts Monster Hunter as a whole, wouldn't that effectively be the death of the hunting genre?
Like every other game avoided 3DS, and are now on PS4 primarily (following Vita), and are all on decline.

Monster Hunter is on a decline too.

Branduil

Seems more likely it'd be the death of console-only MH.

Nanashrew

Banned
It's true that the switch doesn't need monster hunter. It's set to keep selling out the rest of the year regardless and next year will have a similarly strong line-up IMO (if animal crossing and Pokemon hit then it'll be much stronger).

Having said that the switch still has some monster hunter presence. Obviously XX isn't as big a new entry but it still gives switch owners a chance to play monster hunter. I think XX will sell well and as the switch user base soars we'll see more monster hunter in some fashion.

I'm not sure I agree that world will be a total failure. We just have no idea how it'll be received overseas. IMO it'll perform better than many are expecting in Japan and will sell somewhere around 1-1.4 million in Japan. The rest just depends on how western audiences like the game and also how much more they can monetise that audience through DLC.

Maybe it'll end up being a stroke of genius. When monster hunter eventually comes to the switch it'll still sell amazingly well in Japan. This might give them the chance to sell more overseas as well in the future. Maybe this is their attempt to avoid the franchise being like DQ and only really selling in one region (and a shrinking market at that).

I have some reservations about MH hitting 1.4 million on a home console in Japan as it took awhile for something like that to even happen on the Wii. And that's the Wii! Japan loved the Wii.

Not to mention PS4 hasn't been a great place for software sales. Then we also have plenty of IPs currently in decline, even Monster Hunter.

Things really feel rather stacked against MHW in Japan.

Basically. No idea why matrixman.exe felt the need to make up such unsubstantiated nonsense.

Kyoufu

I'm sure the fact that Capcom releases so many of them almost yearly doesn't help, either. Prehaps franchise fatigue will or has set in to some degree.

My guess is that yes, franchise fatigue is a factor in its decline but also the fact that the series hasn't really evolved in like a decade.

The series is still somewhat fresh in the west and with World it's seeing an evolution far greater than any previous iteration has had so who knows, maybe it can see growth in the west at least. Substantial growth, that is.

Even if the 3DS didn't have MH and didn't hit it's current LTD because of it it still wouldn't be the end of the world. But where do you think Capcom is going to sell 12 million units of MH in Japan without the 3DS? PS4? WiiU? Vita? Lmao.

Capcom needs Nintendo far more than Nintendo needs Capcom in regards to MH and the Switch. That is always going to be true. Anyone that thinks otherwise is wrong.

Basically this. Capcom has taken a calculated move. We'll see how it turns out. This wasn't a "left hanging" situation.

Fularu

Banned
MHW is never hitting a million in Japan on PS4, let alone 1.4 million.

It will probably be the third game to break 500k on the PS4 though (and be outsold by MHXX Switch)

Kyoufu

MHW is never hitting a million in Japan on PS4, let alone 1.4 million.

It will probably be the third game to break 500k on the PS4 though (and be outsold by MHXX Switch)

People here expect too much from MHXX. It's a port of an underperforming game that came out a few months ago on 3DS.

Fularu

Banned
People here expect too much from MHXX. It's a port of an underperforming game that came out a few months ago on 3DS.

MHXX on switch won't have troubles breaking 500k. Also while the game took slightly longer than Capcom expected, it will end up meeting their sales target so where are you getting the "underperforming" part? They expected 2 million copies by the end of march, they're almost at 2 million copies now. For an expansion pack, that's pretyu good (and the Switch release will boost the 3DS sales).

What data suggests MH was instrumental in 3DS's success? Last I checked, Nintendo had no problem selling handhelds, irrespective of the 3rd party games on it. Stop trying to make it out to be a FF7 or GTA.

nightever

MH peaked by MHP3 in Japan and decline on 3DS, by this logic, 3ds is hurting the franchise.

What data suggests MH was instrumental in 3DS's success? Last I checked, Nintendo had no problem selling handhelds, irrespective of the 3rd party games on it. Stop trying to make it out to be a FF7 or GTA.

Look back at media create data throughout the past 6 years and tell me with a straight face that Monster Hunter games haven't caused huge spikes in 3DS hardware sales that have ultimately contributed to its 23m LTD.

The Switch doesn't need MH to be a success, no, but MH has been one of THE games that has enabled the 3DS to flourish in it's home market. I can't believe I'm posting in a Media Create thread and there are people denying this.

No one is making excuses. Capcom wanted to widen the appeal of MH in the west and Nintendo was still coasting on 3DS and Wii U when this game begun development. That's why it isn't a Switch game, as I've said. It's not an excuse, it's a fact.

Even if the 3DS didn't have MH and didn't hit it's current LTD because of it it still wouldn't be the end of the world. But where do you think Capcom is going to sell 12 million units of MH in Japan without the 3DS? PS4? WiiU? Vita? Lmao.

Capcom needs Nintendo far more than Nintendo needs Capcom in regards to MH and the Switch. That is always going to be true. Anyone that thinks otherwise is wrong.

I know you're trying to sound smart here, but it's wasted on me. I'm under no illusion that PS4 is going to be a saving grace for this series and as I've said multiple times, the series will still continue on Switch anyway. The salt over the past week is going to look a bit stupid when we're all playing a brand new, ground up MH game on the Switch in 2019.

Kyoufu

MHXX on switch won't have troubles breaking 500k. Also while the game took slightly longer than Capcom expected, it will end up meeting their sales target so where are you getting the "underperforming" part? They expected 2 million copies by the end of march, they're almost at 2 million copies now. For an expansion pack, that's pretyu good (and the Switch release will boost the 3DS sales).

...you're literally proving my point. They expected 2 million by end of March. Check your calendar.

Ōkami

Saying Monster Hunter wasn't instrumental to 3DS' success is like saying Call of Duty wasn't for PS4's.

The system's could've still done fine, but those 2 games certainly sold a lot of systems.

Ōkami;241108752 said:
Saying Monster Hunter wasn't instrumental to 3DS' success is like saying Call of Duty wasn't for PS4's.

The system's could've still done fine, but those 2 games certainly sold a lot of systems.
It's a big deal for 3DS to have it especially since it meant less competition for their direct competitor.

It would be a smaller deal for Switch if it didn't get Monster Hunter than it was for Vita or it could've been for 3DS.

Ōkami;241108752 said:

Exactly. I'm not sure why in a media create thread, people are suddenly trying to downplay this. Well, actually I do but let's not go there.

Top Bottom