• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2017 (Jun 05 - Jun 11)

Oregano

You are assuming everyone owns a PS4, which couldn't be further from truth. Switch will surely surpass PS4 before next June (that's when I think it will be released).

Also, are we now taking the ToP port joke as truth? With how well Switch is performing?

The niche that cares about having the best graphics do own a PS4 though, it just so happens that niche is tiny.

Phantasia is still a (not implausible) joke but the Tales release isn't going to be anything special.

So what would really be the point of this version? I'm asking seriously. It's sales potential is gimped and unless they're trying to milk everything they can out of this game, what's the point?

You answered your own question.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So what would really be the point of this version? I'm asking seriously. It's sales potential is gimped and unless they're trying to milk everything they can out of this game, what's the point?

Just because it isn't going to sell 1.5M doesn't mean its pointless.

Aters

You already said the biggest reason. 3DS is an old system and PS4 is doing terribly, they need another version to sell as many copies as the last entries.

They want to foster a DQ fan base on Switch before they release more DQ games on it, which they certainly will.

EDarkness

Really now? It's 1m+ or death?

Not at all. I'm just thinking why invest in this version of the game? We're not talking about an action game, but an RPG where story is king. If you know the story, would you double dip? What's the history of this sort of thing? Do these games sell well once they're rereleased? Do they sell a fraction of the original version?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
DCXDIrXXcAIZrEU.jpg

https://streamable.com/5lv3y

Confederations Cup 2017 is a go!

extralite

I'm not sure the bolded is true but even it is....

The PSP had a much smaller screen and ran at a much lower resolution so downgrades from PS2 versions of games were not as apparent. This is an even bigger problem for Switch because games have to look good on a TV too.

You mean like MHXX has to look good on a larger screen compared to 3DS? I'm not with the "just up res the 3DS version and put it on Switch" crowd but even a severly downgraded MHW port would certainly look better than that and games don't need to look good for a port to be possible.

Aters

The niche that cares about having the best graphics do own a PS4 though, it just so happens that niche is tiny.

Phantasia is still a (not implausible) joke but the Tales release isn't going to be anything special.

You don't need to care about graphic that much to not want to play DQXI on 240p. DQXI on Switch won't outsell the 3DS version, but it will do well enough to justify its existence. Square would also want DQ fans to move on to Switch.

I agree that Tales on Switch is not anything special, but a new remake of Phantasia is not cheaper than just releasing one of the recent games on it. Those games run on PS3 so Switch should have no problem handle them.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Not at all. I'm just thinking why invest in this version of the game? We're not talking about an action game, but an RPG where story is king. If you know the story, would you double dip? What's the history of this sort of thing? Do these games sell well once they're rereleased? Do they sell a fraction of the original version?

Who defines what "well" is. For SE 300, 400, 500 or 1000k could be considered a good result or a disappointment for a late release.

DQ has seen numerous ports, rereleases and remakes, why do they sell if story is known.

EDarkness

Who defines what "well" is. For SE 300, 400, 500 or 1000k could be considered a good result or a disappointment for a late release.

DQ has seen numerous ports, rereleases and remakes, why do they sell if story is known.

Generally, aren't they years later? The most recent DQ VIII for the 3DS was many years later with an expanded story and multiple endings on a new platform compared to the PS2 version. Would that mean the NS version will be released 3 or 4 years from now with expanded content? Heh, heh.

You mean like MHXX has to look good on a larger screen compared to 3DS? I'm not with the "just up res the 3DS version and put it on Switch" crowd but even a severly downgraded MHW port would certainly look better than that and games don't need to look good for a port to be possible.

Well, Capcom would need to announce a World port first.

extralite

Generally, aren't they years later? The most recent DQ VIII for the 3DS was many years later with an expanded story and multiple endings on a new platform compared to the PS2 version. Would that mean the NS version will be released 3 or 4 years from now with expanded content? Heh, heh.

My take is DQXI Switch exists for people who want the PS4 version but don't want to buy a PS4 for it. It being announced but not being advertised means it won't impact PS4 and 3DS sales much but no one can complain after buying a PS4 for the game when DQXI is properly announced with a trailer for Switch shortly afterwards. Because if you cared, you'd know.

But I think the Switch version and its ambiguous status might be hurting 3DS preorders. A lot of 3DS owners are probably on the fence which version to get and might plan to pick up the 3DS version in launch week. Or finally decide to buy a PS4 for it, or wait for the Switch version, hoping they will get more info before they buy one of the other versions.

Well, Capcom would need to announce a World port first.

You can discuss feasibilty of a port without it being announced.

ksamedi

How much would you expect this to sell? I dont think 500k is unreasonable. But 500k is a lot of money and well worth the extra investment. Now if it ends up only selling 100k it would be a terrible investment but a game like DQ sells on brand name alone.

EDarkness

My take is DQXI Switch exists for people who want the PS4 version but don't want to buy a PS4 for it. It being announced but not being advertised means it won't impact PS4 and 3DS sales much but no one can complain after buying a PS4 for the game when DQXI is properly announced with a trailer for Switch shortly afterwards. Because if you cared, you'd know.

I don't think that's true. At no point has the NS version been announced in a serious public way. All of the Famitsu information only lists PS4/3DS. None of the videos have said this, either. The average person most likely doesn't know there is an NS version coming. They've barely talked about it publicly and even at the last event they mentioned it in passing and briefly and only when asked by the host who obviously knew it was coming.

extralite

I don't think that's true. At no point has the NS version been announced in a serious public way. All of the Famitsu information only lists PS4/3DS. None of the videos have said this, either. The average person most likely doesn't know there is an NS version coming. They've barely talked about it publicly and even at the last event they mentioned it in passing and briefly and only when asked by the host who obviously knew it was coming.

Still, if they complain about the Switch version, whenever it gets properly introduced to the public, SE can point to it being known for two years already.

EDarkness

Still, if they complain about the Switch version, whenever it gets properly introduced to the public, SE can point to it being known for two years already.

I don't think they publicly announced it back then, either. My point really is that the average Joe probably doesn't know there is an NS version coming and why would they, because Square Enix hasn't done anything to even hint that it's coming. If someone would have purchased the game on the NS, then I could see them being upset that it wasn't openly announced earlier. Again, I think Square Enix has some deal with Sony for exclusivity for a period of time, so they can't really get into the NS version right now.

extralite

I don't think they publicly announced it back then, either. My point really is that the average Joe probably doesn't know there is an NS version coming and why would they, because Square Enix hasn't done anything to even hint that it's coming.

It is announced. They clearly stated that during the original announcement presentation. And again on other recent occasions. It just isn't detailed or advertised.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
We are running in circles with this. We don't know the release date, the differences or the price so that we can have even a guess of what would be a respectable result for Switch version.

Nothing will be announced before 3DS and PS4 versions come out. When the time comes out we talk again, we will know what the other versions sold and how high SE can aim.

Oregano

You don't need to care about graphic that much to not want to play DQXI on 240p. DQXI on Switch won't outsell the 3DS version, but it will do well enough to justify its existence. Square would also want DQ fans to move on to Switch.

I agree that Tales on Switch is not anything special, but a new remake of Phantasia is not cheaper than just releasing one of the recent games on it. Those games run on PS3 so Switch should have no problem handle them.

I never said otherwise, I just said it won't be a big game.

EDarkness

Do they? Maybe in Japan, but doesn't look that way for the rest of the world.

What's the point of any port?

You know, I've always wondered about that. My own game is being worked on for the PC, Mac, Linux, and Wii U at the moment. I have made a conscious note to myself that there would not be any late ports, so if it didn't come out initially on a platform, there wouldn't be one later unless there was a sequel and the original game would be included in that. I personally don't see the point of late ports, but there must be something that others see, because it gets done all the time. I imagine there are times when things align and the port actually can be quite profitable, but I'll admit that I don't know for sure. I just know that for me personally, I have no intention of going back and releasing my game on another platform after it's initially released.

Aters

I said by Nintendo standard, DQXI Switch will be big by the low, low standards of PS4 though.

Nobody said it could do multiple millions. But 1 million WW should be plausible, and I bet SE would be happy with that. It's not like they are building the Switch version from the groundup. Actually, 1-1.5 million is a big deal for Nintendo too. That's where Xenoblade 2 will probably land on.

Oregano

Nobody said it could do multiple millions. But 1 million WW should be plausible, and I bet SE would be happy with that. It's not like they are building the Switch version from the groundup. Actually, 1-1.5 million is a big deal for Nintendo too. That's where Xenoblade 2 will probably land on.

I feel that's really quite optimistic for both of those games.

If the Nintendo version of DQ are even released in the west I don't expect them to do too well because they're guaranteed to ignore their existence(probably with a marketing deal from Sony).

EDarkness

If the Nintendo version of DQ are even released in the west I don't expect them to do too well because they're guaranteed to ignore their existence(probably with a marketing deal from Sony).

I agree. They seem to be trying hard to push Dragon Quest PS4 games in the West and I don't think they're gonna spend much time with NS versions of the game considering they probably have some deals with Sony on this. Which would mean that we may end up with Dragon Quest XI PS4 being the only localized version of the game. I mean, we STILL haven't seen or heard anything about the Dragon Quest collection for the NS outside of Japan and I don't think we will anytime soon.

Fiendcode

Switch games are doing very well in the west though, Puyo Puyo Tetris Switch had a crazy ratio over the PS4 version in the UK (like 8:1) for example and that's without digital (only on Switch) and in one of Nintendo's weaker markets. Nintendo's audience has always been pretty receptive to jrpgs in particular too, there's potential for their versions to do quite well in the west.

Kyoufu

Switch games are doing very well in the west though, Puyo Puyo Tetris Switch had a crazy ratio over the PS4 version in the UK (like 8:1) for example and that's without digital (only on Switch) and in one of Nintendo's weaker markets. Nintendo's audience has always been pretty receptive to jrpgs in particular too, there's potential for their versions to do quite well in the west.

Dragon Quest XI being successful in the west is a big if. I can see both PS4 and Switch versions being outsold by Ni No Kuni 2 outside of Japan. Square-Enix doesn't know how to market DQ here unfortunately.

Dragon Quest XI being successful in the west is a big if. I can see both PS4 and Switch versions being outsold by Ni No Kuni 2 outside of Japan. Square-Enix doesn't know how to market DQ here unfortunately.

NNK2 will probably be even worse than the original which makes it even funnier.

Fiendcode

Sure, there's no guarantees for DQXI in the west on any platform. The 3DS remakes and PS/PC spinoffs haven't exactly done amazing.

That said DQVIII and DQIX each outsold Ni No Kuni in the west. I bet DQXI also outsells it and NNK2.

Aters

I'm not gonna make such assumption just yet. When was the last time SE had exclusive marketing deal with Sony?

Fiendcode

Given their history I almost expect Nintendo to try for a marketing deal. Maybe they'll even be the one publishing the 3DS port.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Going by JapaneseNintendo, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch will release on September 7th.

C'mon guys, sorry to be blunt, but i do know that portable Monster Hunter has been much more popular :) I was wondering if maybe he was talking about the game mechanics themself, if something were different between them since he used MH in italic. But yeah, it might be that he was more figuratively speaking, only talking about the portabiliy aspect and its popularity. I didnt think about that, thanks for the answers =)

I think he is just used to the protocols used in journalism or subtitle editing, which is to either italicize game titles or put them in quotes. He seems to always use italics for game titles in his posts.

Ōkami

I'd expect for Square to finally talk about the Switch version of Dragon Quest XI no earlier than TGS, should be enough time after the release of both versions.

They should make clear as soon as possible if its releasing this year or not.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
What do you guys think is a good goal for Xenoblade 2? 300k?

I remember XCX opening up at around 100k.
Xenoblade was a 200k seller. Going to 300k is a big jump. Holidays release, quality and push from Nintendo will show if it's possible. It will benefit from Switch having no contest at December but on the other hand full release schedule is still unknown.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I agree. They seem to be trying hard to push Dragon Quest PS4 games in the West and I don't think they're gonna spend much time with NS versions of the game considering they probably have some deals with Sony on this. Which would mean that we may end up with Dragon Quest XI PS4 being the only localized version of the game. I mean, we STILL haven't seen or heard anything about the Dragon Quest collection for the NS outside of Japan and I don't think we will anytime soon.
I'm really disappointed in SE whenever I hear this, having a couple DQ spinoffs I wouldn't call building a base on PS4 when the 3DS was the one getting the mainline games both old and new.

What kind of thing is that?

You answered your own question.

hmm i would love a 2D tales game... tales of rebirth for example.

Sandfox

I wouldn't expect anything from DQ in the west. I want to say the game will sell better than VIII and IX, but I can't think of a reason why it would.

I wouldn't expect anything from DQ in the west. I want to say the game will sell better than VIII and IX, but I can't think of a reason why it would.

We've seen high scoring japanese games do well on PS4, probably do to the fact that there are far fewer physical games now, so its easier for a good game to stand out.

Nioh, Nier Automata, and Persona 5 did far better than they would have in a ultra crowded PS2 library imo. If DQ11 has an 85+ metacritic score i dont see why it wouldnt see a nice boost in sales in the west.

Kanann

An unappealing game is an unappealing game no matter how you market it.

An unappealing game that go far better than most of the jRPGs......

Here my idea, make DQXII be like Dragon Ball Fighter Z,you can cast magic powerful enough destroying some towns or planets. It will sell like hotcakes.

You know, I've always wondered about that. My own game is being worked on for the PC, Mac, Linux, and Wii U at the moment. I have made a conscious note to myself that there would not be any late ports, so if it didn't come out initially on a platform, there wouldn't be one later unless there was a sequel and the original game would be included in that. I personally don't see the point of late ports, but there must be something that others see, because it gets done all the time. I imagine there are times when things align and the port actually can be quite profitable, but I'll admit that I don't know for sure. I just know that for me personally, I have no intention of going back and releasing my game on another platform after it's initially released.

The point of a port is to expose new userbases to a game. For an indie developer lime yourself it may not make sense to try and port your game to many platforms after release if you think the targeted platforms have covered the buying base sufficiently. For a large IP and game like DQ the potential to expand your audience and sales justifies a port. It also gives your developers a chance to learn the ins and outs of a new platform which is important if your company is going ro pursue multiplatform development.

There are lots of reasons to port a game. Especially to new systems if you have thr resources and the port ism't difficult.

Sandfox

We've seen high scoring japanese games do well on PS4, probably do to the fact that there are far fewer physical games now, so its easier for a good game to stand out.

Nioh, Nier Automata, and Persona 5 did far better than they would have in a ultra crowded PS2 library imo. If DQ11 has an 85+ metacritic score i dont see why it wouldnt see a nice boost in sales in the west.
I just don't see it appealing to a ton of people.

Top Bottom