• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2017 (Jun 05 - Jun 11)

Passose

Banned
I wonder if DQXI Switch is possible for this holiday in Japan? Mario is late October. Even if we assume Xeno 2 is November/December, that frankly doesn't seem like a big enough title for Nintendo to have as the big hitter.
DQXI in December is perfect, and put both Xeno2 and FE Warriors in November

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This is why if the Switch wasn't​ so supply constrained, it would be easier to predict it reaching the 4 million mark for the end of the year.

They could definitely ship a whole lot of units for November-December like the 2 million in that period from 3DS, the question is whether shipments will go back up to 50k like before since it would be needed to help sell another 1 million units before November.

I have to assume shipments are going to start increasing next month- from July 21 through October the lineup looks like this (with always the possibility of other titles, like physical Minecraft):

7/21- Splatoon 2
8/25- MH XX
9/21- DQ X
9/22- Pokken
9/28- FE Warriors
10/27- Mario Odyssey

That's a pretty stacked 3 months- Nintendo will be giving away more than just hardware sales if they do not have a better supply for that stretch.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
DS at its 8th FY sold 250.190. 3DS is at 217.654 with more than 9 months remaining. Even with sales slowing down it will clean 500-1000k.
graph.png

Oregano

Where and what system tho?

PS4 already peaked. With "home console" Switch being also usable as portable and Playstation HQ moved to the US actual home consoles in Japan are relegated to be niche for eternity. What we are seeing will be the very last couple AAA efforts at games for Japan that aren't playable on the go (ignoring Vita streaming like everybody does).

FFXV shipped way too much, which was a sales disaster for the stores (who shoulder the financial hit from ordering too much and reducing the price trying to get rid of it). SE may be happy, the stores can't be.

Lol unless you're counting some form of streaming on mobile or the death of AAA Japanese game that isn't further from the truth. If anything with the loss of Sony portables we are going to see a higher percentage games only playable at home.

Datschge

Lol unless you're counting some form of streaming on mobile or the death of AAA Japanese game that isn't further from the truth. If anything with the loss of Sony portables we are going to see a higher percentage games only playable at home.
Won't make home consoles any less niche in Japan. Any AAA effort will have to sell the majority in the West.

Oregano

Won't make home consoles any less niche in Japan. Any AAA effort will have to sell the majority in the West.

Ahh yes, I slightly misread what you were saying. I think that's already the case though, even midtier games are now aimed primarily at western markets.

KtSlime

FFXV shipped way too much, which was a sales disaster for the stores (who shoulder the financial hit from ordering too much and reducing the price trying to get rid of it). SE may be happy, the stores can't be.

SE probably isn't happy either, when they go to the store next time and show them their next product and say "So can I put you down for X copies" the store will say "Let's make that 70% of X".

Mario007

This is wrong, as far as I know. In Japan there is back financing and back buying for overshipped copies as far as I remember. Square itself previously was hit financially because they overshipped FFXIII 2

ggx2ac

Ahh yes, I slightly misread what you were saying. I think that's already the case though, even midtier games are now aimed primarily at western markets.

Which is why it's great being a PC gamer because of how many niche Japanese games you can find on Steam now.

(Except for when those developers don't put in options specific to PC such as allowing you to change the rendering resolution like in Dark Souls 1 for example.)

Datschge

This is wrong, as far as I know. In Japan there is back financing and back buying for overshipped copies as far as I remember. Square itself previously was hit financially because they overshipped FFXIII 2
While that approach is common in the West it's traditionally not the case in Japan. (Which is why preorders are of high importance in Japan, shipment is based on store orders, and store orders again on customer preorders unless it's a big name.) So it has to be case by case there, do we know SE did the same with FFXV? Them buying back some copies would explain why FFXV's price only dropped slowly instead like a rock despite the clear overshipping.

Alrus

Afaik backordering doesn't exist in Japan. Retailers are entirely responsible for their stock which is why you see overshipped games drop in price so quickly.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I have to assume shipments are going to start increasing next month- from July 21 through October the lineup looks like this (with always the possibility of other titles, like physical Minecraft):

7/21- Splatoon 2
8/25- MH XX
9/21- DQ X
9/22- Pokken
9/28- FE Warriors
10/27- Mario Odyssey

That's a pretty stacked 3 months- Nintendo will be giving away more than just hardware sales if they do not have a better supply for that stretch.

We can have good guesses for November-December since Nintendo won't reveal anything major and Mario x Rabbids will be a 2018 title.

Xenoblade 2
Minecraft retail
Mario & Sonic
Dragon Quest XI

Maybe there will be smaller releases but as far as titles that will cross 100k that's as far as it can go.

While that approach is common in the West it's traditionally not the case in Japan. (Which is why preorders are of high importance in Japan, shipment is based on store orders, and store orders again on customer preorders unless it's a big name.) So it has to be case by case there, do we know SE did the same with FFXV? Them buying back some copies would explain why FFXV's price only dropped slowly instead like a rock despite the clear overshipping.

Retailers pay the price of overshipping for eveything since ever.

KtSlime

Afaik backordering doesn't exist in Japan. Retailers are entirely responsible for their stock which is why you see overshipped games drop in price so quickly.

Yeah, this behavior is in all sorts of sales in Japan too. Companies that are selling their goods that are not manufactured by part of the conglomerate that owns the store frequently send people to various stores to count stock to know how well a product is selling there and adjust their sales target accordingly.

schuelma

We can have good guesses for November-December since Nintendo won't reveal anything major and Mario x Rabbids will be a 2018 title.

Xenoblade 2
Minecraft retail
Mario & Sonic
Dragon Quest XI

Maybe there will be smaller releases but as far as titles that will cross 100k that's as far as it can go.

Yeah I'm really thinking DQXI might be the big December game.

I would also add the 2 Namco games could be 100K titles if they are out this year (Tales of Port and Taiko Drum)

Eolz

I guess that could depend on World's performance. If it flops, they should just name the next one 5. If it succeeds, I assume they will abandon numerals.

This.
But good luck on that, since I doubt that X1 will bring many sales WW, there's no crossplay at all, and the west will have to compensate on the lack of japanese sales...

thats rough.. does capcom not understand why Monster Hunter is popular in japan or are they just saying we dont care?

As others pointed out, Japan is getting XX Switch (unlike the west), compatible with 3DS online. And it'll surely get more there (unlike the west).

Yeah I'm really thinking DQXI might be the big December game.

I would also add the 2 Namco games could be 100K titles if they are out this year (Tales of Port and Taiko Drum)

Could be.
That's weird that they still haven't announced what the Tales of game will be since it's supposed to relase this FY.

schuelma

Could be.
That's weird that they still haven't announced what the Tales of game will be since it's supposed to relase this FY.

If its a quick port it could easily be a quick August announcement/November release type of thing. Doubt its anything too hypable.

Eolz

If its a quick port it could easily be a quick August announcement/November release type of thing. Doubt its anything too hypable.

Oh yeah, I doubt that as well, I'm just surprised they haven't just made a press release already, or something like for Xenoverse 2, since they should have already chosen the game to port by now.

Oregano

Will DQXI Switch even be big by Nintendo standards?

Anyone who wants to play the game with nice graphics will get the PS4 version, anyone who wants to play it portably will get the 3DS version.

Oh yeah, I doubt that as well, I'm just surprised they haven't just made a press release already, or something like for Xenoverse 2, since they should have already chosen the game to port by now.

Yeah but only Duckroll cares about a new version of Phantasia.

schuelma

Anyone who wants to play the game with nice graphics will get the PS4 version, anyone who wants to play it portably will get the 3DS version.

I doubt it will sell a million copies or anything but yes, I think it would still be a significant release- both for switch userbase and anyone wanting to play PS4 version portably.

Yeah but only Duckroll cares about a new version of Phantasia.

but what about those who want it portably and with nice graphics...
I doubt it will sell a million copies or anything but yes, I think it would still be a significant release- both for switch userbase and anyone wanting to play PS4 version portably.

yeah it will do a couple of hundred thousands though

in the very long run it may even outsell the ps4 version, if it actually is a good port

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

I would wait for the reveal first, SE had said they want to deliver a diiferent version from 3DS and PS4.

schuelma

I would wait for the reveal first, SE had said they want to deliver a diiferent version from 3DS and PS4.

They did? That would be interesting. Just seems unlikely they would be able to do anything more than a competent port if its coming out relatively soon.

Passose

Banned
wait, what? Are they insane? They are going to make completely three different versions out of it. But if the switch is a different version then what's it going to be?A cel-shaded Dragon Quest XI?

Oregano

but what about those who want it portably and with nice graphics...

yeah it will do a couple of hundred thousands though

in the very long run it may even outsell the ps4 version, if it actually is a good port

Not even close to possible. If they release simultaneously maybe.

wait, what? Are they insane? They are going to make completely three different versions out of it. But if the switch is a different version then what's it going to be?A cel-shaded Dragon Quest XI?

Still UE4 but everything is Chibi because it works better on a small screen/is a better fit for a Nintendo audience.

schuelma

Unless they really plan to redo the graphics again or they are speaking of a remix version I find it difficult to believe it isn't going to to a PS4 port.

Yeah maybe some ultimate collection with all versions but even that seems highly unrealistic.

Laplasakos

If Dragon Quest XI Switch is a different experience from PS4/3DS i am not sure it will be ready by December. I mean they have 2 teams working on the versions right now, how fast can one of the teams have ready a different version in 6 months? There is a chance that there is a third team working on it but having 3 teams seems a little bit too much.

schuelma

If Dragon Quest XI Switch is a different experience from PS4/3DS i am not sure it will be ready by December. I mean they have 2 teams working on the versions right now, how fast can one of the teams have ready a different version in 6 months? There is a chance that there is a third team working on it but having 3 teams seems a little bit too much.

Yeah I agree.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Do you know the differences of Switch version and when development started?

EDarkness

They did? That would be interesting. Just seems unlikely they would be able to do anything more than a competent port if its coming out relatively soon.

I'd be surprised if it comes out this year. My guess is that there's some sort of Sony console exclusivity going on so they have to wait for that to expire before they can really talk about the NS version. I wouldn't even be shocked if it gets quietly canceled at some point. Either way, I wonder what kind of appeal the game will have so many months after the game has been released. I don't think it's going to sell well unless they do something amazing with it.

schuelma

I wouldn't even be shocked if it gets quietly canceled at some point. Either way, I wonder what kind of appeal the game will have so many months after the game has been released. I don't think it's going to sell well unless they do something amazing with it.

Oh come on. Let's try and be at least reasonably pessimistic instead of "DOOM" constantly. Nintendo/SE isn't going to "quietly cancel" a game like DQXI that has been in the works for years already. Cancellations make sense when a system is failing. Not when its succeeding.

EDarkness

Oh come on. Let's try and be at least reasonably pessimistic instead of "DOOM" constantly. Nintendo/SE isn't going to "quietly cancel" a game like DQXI that has been in the works for years already. Cancellations make sense when a system is failing. Not when its succeeding.

Cancellations happen all the time for many reasons. I don't think the game will get canceled, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. We also don't know how long the game has been in development or how far along it is currently. What kind of sales potential does this game have being released after the main versions?

I wouldn't even be shocked if it gets quietly canceled at some point. Either way, I wonder what kind of appeal the game will have so many months after the game has been released. I don't think it's going to sell well unless they do something amazing with it.

The appeal would be the great graphics of the PS4 version on a system people actually want. The game wont be cancelled, if SE can port games to the Switch they will because it's in their benefit to have handheld versions of their console efforts. It helps expand user base while hitting big platforms with the same big budget games spreading the risk. The game will do decent when it launches. The issue is SE's normal issue of announcing games way too early.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Cancellations happen all the time for many reasons. I don't think the game will get canceled, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. We also don't know how long the game has been in development or how far along it is currently. What kind of sales potential does this game have being released after the main versions?

We don't know when this game releases and how same or different is with PS4/3DS versions. How can you expect anyone to give sales potential except SE. When the reveal becomes we'll get a first idea, until then everything is blind guess.

Eolz

S-E will want all the money they can get from DQXI. Even if the Switch gets a quick cheap PS4 port (which it likely will), they won't cancel it.
They're just likely not working much on it since the main versions are coming out next month and they're still in full crunch mode. Not sure why some people are worried (unless it's fake concern?).

KtSlime

Square Enix does not cancel games, they simply ignore they even ever said they would make the game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Impossible, Switch is destined to not receive support from Japanese third parties as the past few months of low sales everywhere and for games like Bomberman and Seiken Densetsu Collection showed. No improvement can happen, its destiny has been already sealed not even 4 months in, what a shame.

I don't even understand why the DQXI's cancellation hypotesis comes up in the first place

Aters

You are assuming everyone owns a PS4, which couldn't be further from truth. Switch will surely surpass PS4 before next June (that's when I think it will be released).

Also, are we now taking the ToP port joke as truth? With how well Switch is performing?

EDarkness

We don't know when this game releases and how same or different is with PS4/3DS versions. How can you expect anyone to give sales potential except SE. When the reveal becomes we'll get a first idea, until then everything is blind guess.

That's true, but looking at rereleases of RPGs, how well do they do generally? That's what this is gonna be...basically. Unless they change up the game drastically, which I don't see happening. Maybe next year they'll release the game again on the NS, but by then will people care? Unless they do something amazing with this, I don't think anyone expects it to sell more than the PS4 or DS versions individually.

Calm Mind

So do you guys still think MHXX Switch will do well now? I remember seeing some 600K-1 million predictions in this thread but I thought the announcment of a new monster hunter literally 3 weeks right after a Switch port was revealed kinda hurt its potential to do exceptionally well

I think it will do well just not as well as initially thought. The one thing it does have going for it over MHW is that it can be played locally. One of the true strengths behind MH success.

Top Bottom