• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2017 (Jun 05 - Jun 11)

sphinx

the piano man
You really shouldn't put a lot of stock into those reports imo. In the best case, they have a superficial layer of inventory that hasn't sold yet. I really don't believe it's the case that there are thousands of units every week being shipped to countries with a surplus.

mh not sure what to think,

on the one hand I agree that there aren't mountains of Switches sitting in obscure warehouses in Europe.

On the other, it's very clear demand in Japan is way bigger than in some countries there,

probably not worth diverting stock though, I mean Finland and Portugal get probably, what, 20k for several months? not really worth the hassle.

thats rough.. does capcom not understand why Monster Hunter is popular in japan or are they just saying we dont care?

Capcom is taking blind leap into the an abyss with this, nobody knows what's going to happen.

they are effectively alienating their existing fanbase and looking to convince a completely different kind of gamer to jump in.

I wish them good luck with that, they sure gonna need it.

Bic Camera Yurakucho Switch's lottery:

99 consoles for more than 1,100 people... (last two weeks were 84 and 83 consoles)

Why are those people even lining up? Less than one out of 11 people lined up will get a chance to buy it. Why stand up for hours doing nothing on a weekend for "So you're telling me there's a chance"-level odds?

This week's releases

{2017.06.16}

[NSW] Arms <FTG> (Nintendo) (¥5.980)

--------------------

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking (2017.06.16)

01./00. [NSW] ARMS <ACT> (Nintendo)
02./01. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
03./02. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
04./04. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
05./03. [PS4] Tekken 7 <FTG> (Bandai Namco)
06./05. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X <ADV> (Bandai Namco)
07./09. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
08./07. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
09./06. [NSW] Seiken Densetsu Collection <RPG> (Square Enix)
10./08. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking (2017.06.16)

01./01. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./03. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)
03./02. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./08. [PS4] New Hot Shots Golf <SPT> (Sony Interactive)
05./05. [PS4] Gundam Versus: Premium G (Sound Edition) <ACT> (Bandai Namco)

--------------------

Yesterday was the release day of ARMS, and lots of stores were showing the game even outside. Switch units were apparently bigger than last week (even small shops that usually don't have units for selling are having urgent shipments, and today we are having lotteries at Bic Camera and Sofmap.

Reservations for Gundam, especially the limited edition, are quite interesting to follow. However the biggest one is Dragon Quest XI, the PS4 version is the version shown at stores and the popular one.
interesting.. will the PS4 version actually outsell the 3DS version?
&#332;kami;241022542 said:
Interviews make it pretty clear but after seeing unedited footage its clear that Monster Hunter World is Monster Hunter 5 in everyway but name.

This doesn't look like a westernized or simplified game at all, looks like Monster Hunter, new additions to gameplay seem built upon the mechanics of 4 and what can be done with better hardware.

It's pretty impressive looking, both graphically and mechanically.

but numberings are important at least for franchises that have them. FFXV being renamed from FF versus XIII boosted its importance (unfortunately it didnt save the game from being a rushed mess). SMTIV is similar as they made a statement that this is the next SMT mainline with that numbering attached.

that is of course unless they change their naming conventions completely (see mario bros - mario world)

hiska-kun

Why are those people even lining up? Less than one out of 11 people lined up will get a chance to buy it. Why stand up for hours doing nothing on a weekend for "So you're telling me there's a chance"-level odds?

Well, you can see families. Parents with her kids, all of them have one wristband each, so more chances for them.

Aren't they?

At least MHXX, and there's no indication that MHW would prevent further handheld versions.

The only issue is that in the current divide, MHW is being localized for the West and XX isn't.

But this doesn't mean much for Japan, where XX has been released and which will see the Switch version.

LotusHD

Banned
Zelda is one of the two games worth buying on Switch so I'm not surprised with the leg.
Nier though, unbelievable. For comparison, P5 dropped out of top 20 after five weeks. Even FFXV only stayed in top 20 for 13 weeks. Nier Automata is still chilling in top ten after four months.

And FFXV was in the charts because it was discounted. NieR is still full price.

Damn lol

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
The only exclusive New 3DS games are now:

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Fire Emblem Warriors

At retail. There are some download games and even more Super Famicom VC titles but in the end new 3DS didn't live up to the original expectations for exclusive content.

[3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles 3D |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| <RPG> (Nintendo) {2015.04.02} (¥3.700)
[3DS] Xenoblade Chronicles 3D |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| (&#949;) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Nintendo) {2015.04.02} (¥3.700)

[3DS] Wind-Up Knight 2 |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Unity Games Japan) {2015.12.22} (¥463)
[3DS] Dragon Fang |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Toydea) {2016.12.14} (¥0)
[3DS] Pirate Pop Plus |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Rainy Frog) {2017.02.22} (¥462)
[3DS] 6180 the Moon |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Rainy Frog) {2017.03.08} (¥370)
[3DS] Cup Critters |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Cosen) {2017.04.12} (¥277)
[3DS] Shoot the Ball |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Cosen) {2017.04.19} (¥277)
[3DS] Box Up |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Cosen) {2017.04.26} (¥277)
[3DS] Galaxy Blaster |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <STG> (Cosen) {2017.05.10} (¥277)
[3DS] Brick Race |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <RCE> (Cosen) {2017.05.17} (¥277)

[3DS] EarthBound |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Nintendo) {2016.03.04} (¥857)
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Nintendo) {2016.03.04} (¥857)
[3DS] Super Mario World |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.03.04} (¥762)
[3DS] Donkey Kong Country |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.03.04} (¥762)
[3DS] F-Zero |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <RCE> (Nintendo) {2016.03.04} (¥762)
[3DS] Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.04.06} (¥762)
[3DS] Super Metroid |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.04.06} (¥762)
[3DS] Pilotwings |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Nintendo) {2016.04.06} (¥762)
[3DS] Mega Man X |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Capcom) {2016.05.09} (¥762)
[3DS] Contra III: The Alien Wars |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Konami) {2016.05.09} (¥762)
[3DS] Super Mario Kart |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <RCE> (Nintendo) {2016.05.09} (¥762)
[3DS] Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.05.09} (¥762)
[3DS] Mega Man 7 |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Capcom) {2016.05.09} (¥762)
[3DS] Kirby's Dream Course |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.06.07} (¥762)
[3DS] The Legend of the Mystical Ninja |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Konami) {2016.06.07} (¥762)
[3DS] Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Capcom) {2016.06.07} (¥762)
[3DS] Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Nintendo) {2016.06.22} (¥857)
[3DS] Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Capcom) {2016.07.20} (¥762)
[3DS] Mega Man X2 |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Capcom) {2016.07.20} (¥762)
[3DS] Street Fighter II Turbo |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Capcom) {2016.07.20} (¥762)
[3DS] Hiyoko Mamire |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Unity Games Japan) {2016.07.20} (¥277)
[3DS] Final Fight |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Capcom) {2016.08.09} (¥762)
[3DS] Street Fighter Alpha 2 |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Capcom) {2016.08.09} (¥762)
[3DS] Tetris Attack |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <PZL> (Nintendo) {2016.08.09} (¥762)
[3DS] Mega Man X3 |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Capcom) {2016.11.21} (¥762)
[3DS] Final Fight 2 |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Capcom) {2016.11.21} (¥762)
[3DS] Final Fight 3 |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Capcom) {2016.11.21} (¥762)
[3DS] Romancing SaGa |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.21} (¥762)
[3DS] Super Castlevania IV |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Konami) {2016.11.21} (¥762)
[3DS] Super Punch-Out!! |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <SPT> (Nintendo) {2016.11.21} (¥762)
[3DS] Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.21} (¥762)
[3DS] Pop'n Twinbee |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <STG> (Konami) {2016.11.28} (¥762)
[3DS] Mario Super Picross |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <PZL> (Nintendo) {2016.11.28} (¥762)
[3DS] Super Famicom Wars |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Nintendo) {2016.11.28} (¥762)
[3DS] Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Nintendo) {2016.11.28} (¥857)
[3DS] Kirby's Star Stacker |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <PZL> (Nintendo) {2016.11.28} (¥762)
[3DS] Live A Live |New Nintendo 2DS/New Nintendo 3DS| _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.28} (¥857)

So do you guys still think MHXX Switch will do well now? I remember seeing some 600K-1 million predictions in this thread but I thought the announcment of a new monster hunter literally 3 weeks right after a Switch port was revealed kinda hurt its potential to do exceptionally well

Zelda is one of the two games worth buying on Switch so I'm not surprised with the leg.
Nier though, unbelievable. For comparison, P5 dropped out of top 20 after five weeks. Even FFXV only stayed in top 20 for 13 weeks. Nier Automata is still chilling in top ten after four months.
And FFXV was in the charts because it was discounted. NieR is still full price.

I mean, this is a great achievement for Nier, and I'm glad that it's doing well. But I think you're selling FFXV a little short.

In its first week, it doubled what Nier has done total so far, without that price drop. It may not have charted for as long, but I think its frontloaded sales more than account for that.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
So do you guys still think MHXX Switch will do well now? I remember seeing some 600K-1 million predictions in this thread but I thought the announcment of a new monster hunter literally 3 weeks right after a Switch port was revealed kinda hurt its potential to do exceptionally well

MHXX Switch is hurt more from being the same game released so soon before on 3DS.

Is there a possible reason why Nier has such extraordinary legs? Like, did it sell out first week and as a result lose its front-loadedness? Or is it just an exceptional case?

Word of mouth.

Zedark

Is there a possible reason why Nier has such extraordinary legs? Like, did it sell out first week and as a result lose its front-loadedness? Or is it just an exceptional case?

hiska-kun

I mean, this is a great achievement for Nier, and I'm glad that it's doing well. But I think you're selling FFXV a little short.

In its first week, it doubled what Nier has done total so far, without that price drop. It may not have charted for as long, but I think its frontloaded sales more than account for that.

The problem of FFXV is that it was overshipped. Being frontloaded made the price go down after the holiday season.

extralite

interesting.. will the PS4 version actually outsell the 3DS version?

but numberings are important at least for franchises that have them. FFXV being renamed from FF versus XIII boosted its importance (unfortunately it didnt save the game from being a rushed mess). SMTIV is similar as they made a statement that this is the next SMT mainline with that numbering attached.

that is of course unless they change their naming conventions completely (see mario bros - mario world)

If the next SMT gets a number (which I assume it will) it will be 5.

Atlus is a bad example for arguing the importance of numbering/mainline for a game's success though. In the first three gens Atlus practically never went past 2 for numbers. Megami Tensei didn't get a 3rd game, it got rebooted with Shin MT. SMT on SNES did get a third game but it was called If not III. PS and Saturn didn't get SMT3 either, they each got new spin off series and Persona although getting three games on PS had two P2s, P2IS and P2EP.

Atlus rather made a spin off than a third game during those generations. That has changed since PS2 but their fans have no problem buying a similar game even if it isn't tied to a mainline series. They can even do other genres and be pretty consistent. Catherine was perceived as an adventure variant of Persona's social simulation gameplay and it did well.

yes it will do well. it will be released on a date where people will have bought splatoon 2 and switches in droves and they will be looking for the next multiplayer game.

no local coop with the 3DS version is a shame but other than that the version has good compability too.
You two should know better lol

lol.... you are probably right
If the next SMT gets a number (which I assume it will) it will be 5.

Atlus is a bad example for arguing the importance of numbering/mainline for a game's success though. In the first three gens Atlus practically never went past 2 for numbers. Megami Tensei didn't get a 3rd game, it got rebooted with Shin MT. SMT on SNES did get a third game but it was called If not III. PS and Saturn didn't get SMT3 either, they each got new spin off series and Persona although getting three games on PS had two P2s, P2IS and P2EP.

Atlus rather made a spin off than a third game during those generations. That has changed since PS2 but their fans have no problem buying a similar game even if it isn't tied to a mainline series. They can even do other genres and be pretty consistent. Catherine was perceived as an adventure variant of Persona's social simulation gameplay and it did well.
point taken. but still the point stands with SMT IV. if they had called it SMT Stranger Journey the the interest would have been even lower

zeromcd73

In regards to the Monster Hunter talk:

Do we really have to separate the Monster Hunter series in to Japan (portable) and the West (home console)? The main reasons people here seem to be doing this is the lack of a portable Switch version of the 'westernization' of the game which seem odd to some.

Lots of the changes that people seem to consider 'westernizing' the series seems to be more as a result of the hardware suddenly advancing from 3DS/PSP levels to PS4. I think these sort of changes should have been expecting moving forward with no just technology but a bigger budget as well and would have still happened even if a Switch version featuring local multiplayer was part of the original announcement. Of course, we have had comments from Capcom wanting to expand the series in the West which the 'World' project obviously is, but does that really have to come at the cost of the sales in Japan?

From what I've read in the other threads regarding MHWorld, it seems this project has been in development for a very long time. It skipping out on the Switch would certainly play a big part in that as we've seen lots of games do this just due to the timing of the release of the console and the already long development times of some projects. We even already have a good example of DQ11 which is first coming out on the consoles it was originally announced and developed for. We also just had MHXX release exclusively for 3DS with a sudden announcement of a Switch version less than 2 months after release. Could this just be a case of Capcom following their original development schedule with a possible Switch release of World featuring local multiplayer sometime in the future?

Some people have suggested that since the main team is working on this that the MHXX team will handle future 'portable installments' aimed at Japan. But could they not both just make games for PS4/XB1/PC/Switch in the future since they already have HD assets and by that time would have had enough time to have had Switch development kits from the beginning of development? It also seems even stranger them designing portable versions for Switch when it can also act as a home console. This of course in Japan doesn't mean much since most in Japan will play the future entries in its portable form, but still.

Do we really have to separate the Monster Hunter series in to Japan (portable) and the West (home console)? The main reasons people here seem to be doing this is the lack of a portable Switch version of the 'westernization' of the game which seem odd to some.

Lots of the changes that people seem to consider 'westernizing' the series seems to be more as a result of the hardware suddenly advancing from 3DS/PSP levels to PS4. I think these sort of changes should have been expecting moving forward with no just technology but a bigger budget as well and would have still happened even if a Switch version featuring local multiplayer was part of the original announcement. Of course, we have had comments from Capcom wanting to expand the series in the West which the 'World' project obviously is, but does that really have to come at the cost of the sales in Japan?

From what I've read in the other threads regarding MHWorld, it seems this project has been in development for a very long time. It skipping out on the Switch would certainly play a big part in that as we've seen lots of games do this just due to the timing of the release of the console and the already long development times of some projects. We even already have a good example of DQ11 which is first coming out on the consoles it was originally announced and developed for. We also just had MHXX release exclusively for 3DS with a sudden announcement of a Switch version less than 2 months after release. Could this just be a case of Capcom following their original development schedule with a possible Switch release of World featuring local multiplayer sometime in the future?

Some people have suggested that since the main team is working on this that the MHXX team will handle future 'portable installments' aimed at Japan. But could they not both just make games for PS4/XB1/PC/Switch in the future since they already have HD assets and by that time would have had enough time to have had Switch development kits from the beginning of development? It also seems even stranger them designing portable versions for Switch when it can also act as a home console. This of course in Japan doesn't mean much since most in Japan will play the future entries in its portable form, but still.
some of the changes are straight up going to make the game easier. health items were a risk to use in MH because there was a large delay when using them, which meant you really had to be careful. showing your damage output is similar as it was one of the factors that made MH a hard game. you never knew how much the monster could take. they would drool and limp and flee but you never were quite sure how much was left in them.

but the big thing here is the lack of local coop/portability of course

some of the changes are straight up going to make the game easier. health items were a risk to use in MH because there was a large delay when using them, which meant you really had to be careful. showing your damage output is similar as it was one of the factors that made MH a hard game. you never knew how much the monster could take. they would drool and limp and flee but you never were quite sure how much was left in them.

That's a lot of conjecturing there.

Let's wait until we know a bit more about the game and have seen it in action (beyond the leaked footage) before reaching this conclusion. The core MH team has a tendency to create great games, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

That's a lot of conjecturing there.

yes there is.
i am sceptical about those two aspects. i dont mind the map not being segmented. i love the drop in drop out aspect
Let's wait until we know a bit more about the game and have seen it in action (beyond the leaked footage) before reaching this conclusion. The core MH team has a tendency to create great games, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.
i do. i am going to most likely buy the game. even if i will be confined to single player due to the lack of local coop. otherwise i would not be interested in this game because it looks not very good from a graphical / animation standpoint compared to some of its "competitors" like dark souls3 or bloodborne

Arzehn

I don't get this, MH was already a simple game. Further, if you needed to heal before you could always change zone and heal, boom easy game.

The reason they changed it cause the zones are continuous, did you see how aggressively the monster chased him through the different zones

Honestly I'm betting this game will be more complex on console.

Kikorin

After seeing the leaked footage, to me looks like there are 3 factors that potentially will make the game easier. Looks like you'll have A LOT more stamina than in other games, even if you run when you are chased by a monster, stamina get consumed pretty slowly, same when you are riding a monster.
Second, you can heal yourself when you are running, this is a big change. Third, when there are two monsters on screen, these fight one each other and don't care about players, this will make all a lot easier especially if you are using long range weapons. I don't have read nothing about the possibility that some monsters will cooperate against the players or all will fight each other anyway.
Also the fact that you can use the scents to know where the monster have moved seems a big difference that will make all a lot easier.

To me looks exactly what the rumor was saying, so that the game will be made with wastern people in mind. I could accept all the changes honestly, the only thing that really bother me is that will not be out (at least at launch) on handheld, so means I'm probably done with the series until they will decide to port it also on portable. I really hope they at least will change idea on the translation of XX for the west.

Oregano

I have problems with the two ideas:

Making it fully multiplaform: MH World was developed with much higher spec machines in mind than Switch so a port probably isn't possible. If they make the sequel full multiplatform then they would have to try and convince people to accept lower production values than the first game which is untenable(especially considering there's a decent chance a sequel would be cross generation with PS5/Xbox whatever).

Making a separate portable series: Ichinose's team has never shown that they are able to make an entire separate game from the ground up. The portable games and Generations all heavily reuse assets(and the first Portable games were just ports).

In general people are going in with the assumption that Capcom wouldn't ignore the Japanese portable market/Switch but they just might. Its also possible that Capcom for some reason thinks World won't decline that much in Japan?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Have preorders for new 2DS LL opened in Japan? I can't find it at Amazon except DQXI bundle. I don't see a lot of hype around it, not unexpected but it could see bigger sales at DQ release than its launch 2 weeks earlier.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Have preorders for new 2DS LL opened in Japan? I can't find it at Amazon except DQXI bundle. I don't see a lot of hype around it, not unexpected but it could see bigger sales at DQ release than its launch 2 weeks earlier.

The fact that preorders for regular New 2DS XL have yet to be opened on Amazon.co.jp is incredibly strange.

extralite

Making it fully multiplaform: MH World was developed with much higher spec machines in mind than Switch so a port probably isn't possible.

If they could use Wii assets to make a PSP game, why can't they use PS4 assets to make a Switch game? PSP < PS2 < Wii. Now we have Switch < XB1 < PS4. Switch is actually closer to PS4 than PSP was to Wii and XB1 is also getting World. So even closer.

People need to let go of the idea that PS4 games can't be ported to Switch. That they aren't ported to Switch has a multitude of reasons. Impossible to port isn't among them. Not trivial would be the one you'd probably favor among the many actual reasons but it still isn't the only one.

Yeshua

PREDICTION LEAGUE JULY 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jun 26 to Jul 30):

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware (35 days) - 350000
[PS4] Gundam Versus (25 days) - 120000
[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS XL (18 days) - 60000
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 40000
[3DS] Ever Oasis (18 days) - 20000
[PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (18 days) - 200000
[NSW] Splatoon 2 (10 days) - 800000

MH World was developed with much higher spec machines in mind than Switch so a port probably isn't possible.

So you're saying both Monster Hunter 1&2 on PS2 were made with PSP spec in mind ?

Kikorin

To be honest in World I see nothing that could not work on Switch. Animations seems really similar (if not exactly the same for the biggest part, for example Ludroth and Rathian) to 3DS version, texture are all flat, vegetation is non-interactive for the biggest part, areas are dense, but pretty small and models seems pretty low-poly against other triple-A games. With some drop in resolution and particle effect I think this would works without problems.

KtSlime

Making it fully multiplaform: MH World was developed with much higher spec machines in mind than Switch so a port probably isn't possible. If they make the sequel full multiplatform then they would have to try and convince people to accept lower production values than the first game which is untenable(especially considering there's a decent chance a sequel would be cross generation with PS5/Xbox whatever).

Making a separate portable series: Ichinose's team has never shown that they are able to make an entire separate game from the ground up. The portable games and Generations all heavily reuse assets(and the first Portable games were just ports).

In general people are going in with the assumption that Capcom wouldn't ignore the Japanese portable market/Switch but they just might. Its also possible that Capcom for some reason thinks World won't decline that much in Japan?

I mean, it certainly is possible. But it is a bit like deciding to not show up for work so that you can play pachinko. Most rational actors don't behave in that way.

Chauzu

If they could use Wii assets to make a PSP game, why can't they use PS4 assets to make a Switch game? PSP < PS2 < Wii. Now we have Switch < XB1 < PS4. Switch is actually closer to PS4 than PSP was to Wii and XB1 is also getting World. So even closer.

People need to let go of the idea that PS4 games can't be ported to Switch. That they aren't ported to Switch has a multitude of reasons. Impossible to port isn't among them. Not trivial would be the one you'd probably favor among the many actual reasons but it still isn't the only one.

The reality of the situation is that any scenario of 1) MHW (down) port to Switch 2) Monster Hunter 5 branded game to Switch 3) Monster Hunter Portable branded game to Switch 4) no Monster Hunter game beyond XX to Switch are all possible and ruling any of them truly out is silly at this point.

Well, #4 should be ruled out but Capcom.

switch cant handle the power of open world
Is there any difference between them? Seeing that MH its written in italic.
20131022024907a0dm112xd1kpz2xw.jpg
this is the difference. you had millions of people playing like this in the past. if you go to a random mcdonalds in japan you would see 2-4 people playing 3ds or psp and oftentimes it was MH. (nowadays you dont see as many in the wild.)

ggx2ac

It's coming to PC which has variability to run games on a system weaker than a Xbox One.

It wouldn't be impossible to port MH World to Switch.

If this was EA's Anthem, then I would say it would be very difficult to port it to Switch without making huge downgrades.

There wasn't anything impressive in Monster Hunter World's visuals that people would compare it to Horizon Zero Dawn for example or even going further back with Metal Gear Solid V.

test_account

XP-39C²
Uh ?
What do you mean?
A portable MH would be...portable
Able to be played on the go
This has been one he'll of a plus for.for . the brand in Japan
you had millions of people playing like this in the past. if you go to a random mcdonalds in japan you would see 2-4 people playing 3ds or psp and oftentimes it was MH. (nowadays you dont see as many in the wild.)
C'mon guys, sorry to be blunt, but i do know that portable Monster Hunter has been much more popular :) I was wondering if maybe he was talking about the game mechanics themself, if something were different between them since he used MH in italic. But yeah, it might be that he was more figuratively speaking, only talking about the portabiliy aspect and its popularity. I didnt think about that, thanks for the answers =)

Oregano

I'm not sure the bolded is true but even it is....

PREDICTION LEAGUE JULY 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jun 26 to Jul 30):

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware (35 days) - 350000
[PS4] Gundam Versus (25 days) - 120000
[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS XL (18 days) - 60000
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 40000
[3DS] Ever Oasis (18 days) - 20000
[PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (18 days) - 200000
[NSW] Splatoon 2 (10 days) - 800000

So you're saying both Monster Hunter 1&2 on PS2 were made with PSP spec in mind ?

The PSP had a much smaller screen and ran at a much lower resolution so downgrades from PS2 versions of games were not as apparent. This is an even bigger problem for Switch because games have to look good on a TV too.

I mean, it certainly is possible. But it is a bit like deciding to not show up for work so that you can play pachinko. Most rational actors don't behave in that way.

Yeah but.... Capcom.

hiska-kun

Not yet at anywhere. Only the DQ Bundle is up to pre-order.
Pre-orders should open next week.

sphinx

the piano man
anybody knows why enix decided to do a 3DS version of DQ11 after choosing the PS4 as their first option?

I mean, the answer is "because of userbase" but.. wasn't it clear that the 3DS had the bigger userbase at the time the game was being conceived? why choose PS4 in the first place if they care for a hardware's userbase so much?

were they thinking/hoping the PS4 was going to be a PS2/Wii success in Japan?

ksamedi

anybody knows why enix decided to do a 3DS version of DQ11 after choosing the PS4 as their first option?

I mean, the answer is "because of userbase" but.. wasn't it clear that the 3DS had the bigger userbase at the time the game was being conceived? why choose PS4 in the first place if they care for a hardware's userbase so much?

A games success doesnt necesarily correlate to userbase. I think the reasoning was that he wanted to make a big 3D space DQ and the ps4 was a natural fit. Now the ps4 never really took off in Japan so they might have just said during development that they will need a 3DS version as well but the main vision fits the ps4 better.

test_account

XP-39C²

Maybe they wanted to have more creative freedom in terms of graphics and scope, and therefor chose a platform with more powerful hardware.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I was one of those and yeah, after thinking about it more and the MH World announcement I've drastically revised down my predictions. I still think it can do pretty well for what it is, but I think my earlier prediction was way too optimistic.

schuelma

I tend to agree with you. I think a World portable announcement next year makes more sense than a completely different, from the ground up Switch title.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Next week is Arms and 4 weeks later Splatoon 2. Holidays 2017 and the level of supply and demand will be crucial, 3DS did almost 2m at last 6 weeks of 2011.
graph.png

schuelma

I wonder if DQXI Switch is possible for this holiday in Japan? Mario is late October. Even if we assume Xeno 2 is November/December, that frankly doesn't seem like a big enough title for Nintendo to have as the big hitter.

ggx2ac

Next week is Arms and 4 weeks later Splatoon 2. Holidays 2017 and the level of supply and demand will be crucial, 3DS did almost 2m at last 6 weeks of 2011.
graph.png

This is why if the Switch wasn't&#8203; so supply constrained, it would be easier to predict it reaching the 4 million mark for the end of the year.

They could definitely ship a whole lot of units for November-December like the 2 million in that period from 3DS, the question is whether Switch shipments will go back up to 50k per week sooner rather than later since it would be needed to help sell another 1 million units before November.

Datschge

MHW can be a system seller.
Where and what system tho?

PS4 already peaked. With "home console" Switch being also usable as portable and Playstation HQ moved to the US actual home consoles in Japan are relegated to be niche for eternity. What we are seeing will be the very last couple AAA efforts at games for Japan that aren't playable on the go (ignoring Vita streaming like everybody does).

But I think you're selling FFXV a little short.
FFXV shipped way too much, which was a sales disaster for the stores (who shoulder the financial hit from ordering too much and reducing the price trying to get rid of it). SE may be happy, the stores can't be.

Top Bottom