• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2017 (Jun 05 - Jun 11)

Aters

Has anybody looked at Atlus financial report? It's REALLY ugly. No wonder they are remaking all those DS games on 3DS. Keep in mind though P5 came out this year in the west, so there's still hope.

Nothing big came out at last 14 days, only Minecraft with its legs. 10k would be enough to secure top spot.

How much are we expecting digitally from arms first week though? I can't remember he predictions but I think there were plenty of sub 100K first week predictions for physical sales. As much as 10K on the first day seems pretty decent.

Obviously without numbers it's all speculation.

extralite

Problem with those ARMS downloads is, now that Switch is region free and Japan gets games first, there are probably a lot of international sales included here.

Oregano

Has anybody looked at Atlus financial report? It's REALLY ugly. No wonder they are remaking all those DS games on 3DS. Keep in mind though P5 came out this year in the west, so there's still hope.

Huh, they are doing badly?

Problem with those ARMS downloads is, now that Switch is region free and Japan gets games first, there are probably a lot of international sales included here.

It's only a few hours so I doubt it's a large amount of people.

extralite

It's only a few hours so I doubt it's a large amount of people.

People who wanted to play the game as early as possible would have bought from the Japanese eShop within those first few hours. I think that could be enough to make an impression on the charts.

Once it's up on other eShops, people can get it more easily from there.

Eolz

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
After 15 weeks at retail
Switch software - 1.526.000 (1,60 attach rate)
Wii U software - 1.189.000 (1,45 attach rate)

Oh, do we have numbers with a similar time-frame for other platforms?

In the meanwhile

Switch software sales after 15 weeks - 1,526,000

First party

Total first party sales - 1,219,846

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 505,270
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 494,526
1-2 Switch - 220,050

Third party

Total third party sales - 306,154

Let's consider all the third party known sales so far

Super Bomberman R (as of Week 17, 2017) - 77,015
Dragon Quest Heroes I-II for Nintendo Switch (as of Week 12, 2017) - 41,419
Seiken Densetsu Collection - 34,893
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (as of Week 22, 2017) - 21,139
Puyo Puyo Tetris S (as of Week 10, 2017) - 17,323
Minna de Wai Wai! Spelunker (as of Week 16, 2017) - 7,447

Total known sales - 199,236

Third party sales still unkown (Disgaea 5: Complete + I am Sestuna + Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power Up Kit + Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII with Power Up Kit + all the other games with weekly sales missing) - 106,918

Cross-tracker theory (so, it can't be 100% reliable): assuming Dengeki post-launch sales were similar to MC's sales outside of Top 20, going with MC debuts, we'd have

Super Bomberman R - around 90,000
Dragon Quest Heroes I-II for Nintendo Switch - around 56,000
Puyo Puyo Tetris S (as of Week 20, 2017) - 38,198 (I suppose we can assume 40,000 copies ca. as of Week 23, 2017)
Seiken Densetsu Collection - 34,893
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers - around 23,000
Minna de Wai Wai! Spelunker (as of Week 20, 2017) - around 14,000

Total theorical sales - 257,893

Third party sales for the titles that never appeared on MC top 20 (Disgaea 5: Complete + I am Setsuna + Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power Up Kit + Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII with Power Up Kit) - 48,261

Only a few will go through the process, you can easily access the eshop once you made an account but it will not accept your CC. So you must either buy credit or a DL code. Quite the hassle for a few hours.

watershed

Banned
Figured it was better to ask here than make a new thread or bump an old one: Whatever happened to Fantasy Life 2?

The original Fantasy Life was a big hit on the 3ds. Iirc the sequel was going to be a mobile game. Level 5 in general seems quiet these days aside from prepping Snack World. Maybe I've just stopped paying attention to them?

L~A

It's weird that they decided to make it a horror movie.

Well, Akihiro Hino recently said that Yo-kai Watch now appealed only to kids (as opposed to a more broader audience before the collapse), and that they'd have various things to try and fix this, starting with this movie.

Figured it was better to ask here than make a new thread or bump an old one: Whatever happened to Fantasy Life 2?

The original Fantasy Life was a big hit on the 3ds. Iirc the sequel was going to be a mobile game. Level 5 in general seems quiet these days aside from prepping Snack World. Maybe I've just stopped paying attention to them?

It's now called Fantasy Life Online, and it's been delayed endlessly since the announcement. There was a beta recently, which led to the latest delay.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Let's see how ARMS will debut even if it will be crucial to see if it will continue selling, beyond its first week.

About L5, I've always seen clearly their business strategy and plans, very close to the cartoon/toy segment (3-years life cycle, very milking strategy, investments of turnover gained in new IP, relaunch after some "resting" period and so on)

In this very moment I'd agree that their plans are not so clear as they were in the past decade. Like...at all.

Kaworu

Yeah, that's a big shock. How are they making a loss when they releases their biggest release in a long, long time.

Persona 5 was released on April the 4th in the West and the results just take into account the quarter ending in March. The next quarter will be a different story.

Oregano

Persona 5 was released on April the 4th in the West and the results just take into account the quarter ending in March. The next quarter will be a different story.

Oh wait, the JP release was the quarter before. That makes more sense, still not good that they lost money in between.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
That'll be interesting to look at again by the end of the year. The gap will widen massively post splatoon 2.

Wii U and PS4 are far from a contest for Switch. PS4 2014 software sales at retail were 2.442.000.

3DS is the real comparison. Retail software for 2011 was 7.104.000 (Famitsu) and since downloading boxed titles from eShop became available at the end of July 2012 this number is total software too.

Switch can beat that number even without the help of digital.

Mpl90

Nintendo Japanese eShop Charts - as of June 16th, 2017, 14:31 GMT {2017.06.02 - 2017.06.16}

01. Arms (Nintendo)
02. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Mojang/Microsoft)
03. SnipperClips: Cut it out together! (Nintendo)
04. Human Resource Machine (Tomorrow Corporation)
05. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo)
06. Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (Yacht Club Games)
07. Seiken Densetsu Collection (Square Enix)
08. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
09. Mighty Gunvolt Burst (Inti Creates)
10. Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation)
11. ACA NeoGeo: Metal Slug 3 (Hamster)
12. Kamiko (Circle)
13. Battle Sports Mekuru (Over Pence)
14. Plantera DX Edition (Rainy Frog)
15. World of Goo (Tomorrow Corporation)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Star Ocean has made it into the top 10 on mobile during its event.

While I'm not sure if Square Enix will make it to a billion in mobile revenue this year, I think they have a real shot given how their line-up and new releases are doing.

For reference, at current currency rates:

2014-2015: $398 million
2015-2016: $620 million
2016-2017: $750 million

Vena

Once Dengeki data shows up, I will update the Capcom tracker plot I made and with some updates post E3 (such and but not limited to greatly decreasing my expectations on MvCI).

Don't think they actually announced anything new (that we didn't already know about).

If the demand for the title was there, i am sure they would have shipped more.

Demand has been there, they have not shipped more/much more. Vinnk documented the fact that many of SE's early launch titles are basically impossible to find and there has been no price collapse.

My statement stands. Your expectations are impossible to be met because SE has simply not produced such a number that is accessible to a buying audience, and whatever they have produced has been sold.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
gamesmaya

Slow start for Arms in the morning, inquiries for Switch stock was one after another.

As expected, steady grow of sales at night from adults on the way home after work.

If more Switch stock comes, it will stretch Arms sales, it's a title that is anticipated to sell for a long time alongside Zelda and Mario Kart.

Vena

gamesmaya

Slow start for Arms in the morning, inquiries for Switch stock was one after another.

As expected, steady grow of sales at night from adults on the way home after work.

If more Switch stock comes, it will stretch Arms sales, it's a title that is anticipated to sell for a long time alongside Zelda and Mario Kart.

There's been rather large worldwide restocks it sounds like with ARMS from the other thread, so we may see more stock slipping into Japan as well as the week continues.

Mory Dunz

gamesmaya

:eek:

Datschge

There's been rather large worldwide restocks it sounds like with ARMS from the other thread, so we may see more stock slipping into Japan as well as the week continues.
So Nintendo *has* been holding back stock!
Nah, they likely timed the "big" shipments to arrive at the same time around ARMS' release everywhere. As I wrote before longest shipping times to Europe and east coast can be up to a month by sea.

Laplasakos

Demand has been there, they have not shipped more/much more. Vinnk documented the fact that many of SE's early launch titles are basically impossible to find and there has been no price collapse.

My statement stands. Your expectations are impossible to be met because SE has simply not produced such a number that is accessible to a buying audience, and whatever they have produced has been sold.

It's been days since Amazon re-stocked it and it's always in stock since then. Looking through the initial Famitsu sellthrough (40-60%), i guess the game received a second shipment in the last days, so let's see how it will do from now.

Eolz

PREDICTION LEAGUE JULY 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jun 26 to Jul 30):

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware (35 days) - 270k
[PS4] Gundam Versus (25 days) - 143k
[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS XL (18 days) - 121k
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 65k
[3DS] Ever Oasis (18 days) - 66k
[PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (18 days) - 112k
[NSW] Splatoon 2 (10 days) - 758k

Calm Mind

gamesmaya

I see wat u did there.

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware (35 days) - 255k
[PS4] Gundam Versus (25 days) - 138k
[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS XL (18 days) - 145k
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 50k
[3DS] Ever Oasis (18 days) - 70k
[PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (18 days) - 135k
[NSW] Splatoon 2 (10 days) - 550k

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware (35 days) - 282k
[PS4] Gundam Versus (25 days) - 160k
[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS XL (18 days) - 98k
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 44k
[3DS] Ever Oasis (18 days) - 52k
[PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (18 days) - 130k
[NSW] Splatoon 2 (10 days) - 670k

Mpl90

gamesmaya was unable to satisfy most requests for Switch systems so apparently there wan't some huge restock.

Trying to combine gamesmaya's report with what reported earlier by both zeromcd73 and horue, I suppose a fair window for Switch sales this week could be 40,000 to 50,000. We need more accurate reports though.

Vena

Trying to combine gamesmaya's report with what reported earlier by both zeromcd73 and horue, I suppose a fair window for Switch sales this week could be 40,000 to 50,000. We need more accurate reports though.

I think that's probably a fair estimate but we'll see, and around what was expected.

These charts put things in perspective. I know I complain a lot about Nintendo dropping the ball on stock, but it is still selling a lot more than most of the competition launch aligned.

Eh. Aside from 3DS all of those systems are pretty much failures in Japan. Only thing that chart shows that Switch is not one of them. Considering what Switch is (successor to 3DS) it was never going to stumble like those in Japan. Even in most pessimistic scenarios it was always going to do better than PS4, WiiU or Vita in Japan.

Aters

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware (35 days) - 240k
[PS4] Gundam Versus (25 days) - 120k
[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS XL (18 days) - 110k
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 48k
[3DS] Ever Oasis (18 days) - 50k
[PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (18 days) - 100k
[NSW] Splatoon 2 (10 days) - 670k

Top Bottom