• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 25, 2017 (Jun 19 - Jun 25)

Or better yet, what kind of numbers do people feel seeing Switch hardware sell in late Nov. and Dec. and would be considered a failure? Would 100k/week be a failure? 200k/week? 400k/week? I guess it really could be anything, but if the demand is there for another 2-3 million Switches and then some, we should hope they could sell at least 250k/week throughout a good portion of Q4.

I'm thinking they need to at least get 3.5 million Switch's out there by the end of the year or they have seriously fucked up, preferably more. How it comes per week in the holidays I have no idea, easier to just make a lump prediction for the year.

Laplasakos

Someone explain me how come YSVIII is having legs. I mean i don't remember the Vita version having legs and isn't this the same game with some extra content?

More than anything I think this ridiculous shortage really hurt the software. Nintendo has 3 big games to push right now but they can't really progress because the stock just isn't there. And when it'll finally be sorted out you'll have Splatoon 2, MHXX, Odyssey...

Now was Arms' time to shine but it can't do much.

Realistically 10% of Switch owners in Japan bought ARMS...that's pretty good looking at that metric.

boiled goose

good with gravy
If the SNES Classic (and NES Classic) were long-term products for Nintendo, I could see why it would launch this year. It being a limited edition item seems like it'll take attention away from Switch. I really don't understand why it's launching this year.

They can't make enough Switch.

That's why they are pushing 3DS and SNES classic.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
If that's the case then I'll be very happy with that. What kind of numbers could they put up if the Switch isn't supply constrained this Holiday?

That Gamestop scenario includes a lot of imagination in the end.

- I want to but a SNES Classic with 80
- Sorry we don't have it
- OK then, hype rises, I want a Switch with 350+
- Sorry we don't have it either
- Wow, I'm very excited, give a 3DS with 200+ and even if that doesn't exist anything Nintendo related there is.

Fiendcode

09./06. [PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2017.05.25} (¥6.800) - 5.042 / 53.006 (+7%)
I'm loving these Ys VIII legs, I was expecting it to do around Tokyo Xanadu eX+ but it's doing a lot better, I wonder how far it'll go. Could it get close to Vita numbers?
Road to 100k. Holy trinity with Zelda and Nier.

What will be the next Action RPG success story?

ggx2ac

I never knew so many people would be upset. This is still a waiting game and unfortunately things won't be clear until later on.

Maybe a shareholder will bring up the shortages during the Q&A of the Annual general meeting of shareholders tomorrow since Nintendo publicly apologised it that maybe we could get more info in regards to what their situation is.

goldage

Banned
looks like splatoon is when nintendo unleashes the stock

50lk weekly should be the minimum after splatoon's launch, optimally 3x which is 75k

im guessing 50k will happen with the reports of component shortage with increases to 75k+ at random weeks

They can't make enough Switch.

That's why they are pushing 3DS and SNES classic.

I understand 3DS. If SNES Classic were a long-term product, I would understand it as well. Making it a limited thing is such a bad idea. NES Classic and SNES Classic systems should be regular fixtures at every retailer across the globe for many years. These systems are the perfect gateways into the world of Nintendo. .

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think they've overestimated their ability to met demand by a large amount. Switch shortages aren't exclusive to Japan, and production increases will be split in many directions. I expect Switch to be supply limited past the holidays, as far as exact amounts, I do think they'll get beyond a 30k baseline in the Fall as you say, however I don't expect that Fall baseline to be increased significantly (beyond double) for the holidays, because demand will be great everywhere, so they won't be able to direct extra production to just one place greatly increasing supply. All just my pessimistic guesses, but it does seem being conservative with Switch supply is the way to go from the data we have so far. Certainly a 20-ish to ~40k hardware bump for a major title like ARMs, then back to ~20k doesn't instill much confidence (for making guesses of Switch seeing 200k+ sales for Splatoon 2 week, or beyond 200k sales weekly in the holidays).

Mh, pessimistic, but more reasonable than what I thought by reading your posts at first. Again, it'll all depend on the stock availability. The demand for the system is still so high AND it'll get such important games that the available stock is the only thing that will stop it from selling 4 millions this year.

Let's all pray the Ink Gods so they can bring units on the market, sales-agers.

L~A

So, will MS even bother releasing the Xbox One X in Japan? I can't see it doing better than the original.

Microsoft confirmed release, but didn't give a date. It'll have extremely confidential sales, most likely only sold at Microsoft Store, Amazon, and a couple (almost literally :p) big stores in big cities.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild:

- Switch LTD: 513 038
- Wii U LTD: 133 024 (more than that, but it didn't chart this week so no date)
- Combined LTD: 646 062

So 353 938 left to 1m, 27 weeks week left... 13 108 units/week for 1m before the end of the year.

ggx2ac

- Sorry we don't have it
- Wow, I'm very excited, give a 3DS with 200+ and even if that doesn't exist anything Nintendo related there is.

Plus, they'd need to have the production ramped up by September or I should say, the shipments from ramped up production occurring in September because the SNES Classic Mini launches at the end of September so shortages for the SNES Classic Mini should be immediate since it would be expected to be a sold out product for the rest of the year.

If NoA can't even supply enough Switch units to sell in the US, then that plot mentioned by GameStop managers would be a huge failure.

Vena

I wonder why we saw such big restocks in anecdote but so little actually in the end.

Fine example of the failure of anecdote I guess!

- Sorry we don't have it

I mean, I've never ascribed to the artificial scarcity theories specifically because this type of exchange never made sense to me. But when you have a Gamestop manager saying this (anonymously though) right after a strategy meeting regarding the product, it starts to make you wonder if it actually may work.

I understand 3DS. If SNES Classic were a long-term product, I would understand it as well. Making it a limited thing is such a bad idea. NES Classic and SNES Classic systems should be regular fixtures at every retailer across the globe for many years. These systems are the perfect gateways into the world of Nintendo. .

Yep I'll agree with that. They wouldn't get these headlines though if they continuously made these products.

Chris makes a good point though that it would make no sense for SNES Classic production to limit Switch production in any way if the goal is to drive people towards buying Switches.

I wonder why we saw such big restocks in anecdote but so little actually in the end.

I think some of those from the last thread happened after the 25th, so it would be reflected in next week's charts.

Mpl90

Yeah, that's what makes me more disappointed by this week's numbers. We've had several reports of increased availability periods / better availability...and then it goes with the most supply constrained week since launch, I think.

I suppose those anecdotal reports had an extremely limited scope, after all.

Yep I'll agree with that. They wouldn't get these headlines though if they continuously made these products.

I feel like grabbing headlines is such a short-sighted strategy though. Plug and play devices can be sold pretty much anywhere, so you'd think having increased brand visibility all over the place would be a better strategy. I'm sure places like Walgreens would be more than happy to stock NES Classics in their stores for years to come.

Zedark

Well, we were using a testimony from Zerocmd, while Hiska-kun's testimony indicated smaller shipment from the 27k baseline, so it is always the case that their is no certainty about the shipments there: two conflicting anecdotal reports, so one is bound to be wrong. Sadly, people decided to to focus on the higher one and expect a higher shipment, while the truth turned out to reside towards the smaller shipment indication.

I hope people that think there's gonna be a massive stock surge for Splatoon 2 keep their expectation in check. There's no guarantee that this'll be the case. nintendo is struggling with stock big time, unfortunately.

Branduil

They're probably going to release a new "Classic" system every year. Maybe N64 next year, Game Boy the year after that, and then back around to "NES Classic 2" with a different game selection.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Artificial scarcity theories are worse than the scenarios of some old members of SDF.

- I want to but a DS
- Sorry we don't have it
- OK then, I'll buy a PSP

They're probably going to release a new "Classic" system every year. Maybe N64 next year, Game Boy the year after that, and then back around to "NES Classic 2" with a different game selection.

Yeah, I could see that and if that's the strategy, I guess it's ok.

I still think it'd be way smarter to just make all of these long-term products. Or at least make each available for most of the year instead of 3 months.

VariantX

Even if Nintendo has a stockpile (which they certainly do to some extent), does it even make much of a difference? So they sell 70 or 80k hardware for the release week of Splatoon 2, then what? It's back to the 30k baseline for a long time again, imo.

Exactly. All it does at the end of the day is move the problem a little further down the road if they still cant get the numbers up to at least respond to demand, not so much meet it. It'll make splatoon 2's first day sales look good, but thats about it.

Branduil

Yeah, I could see that and if that's the strategy, I guess it's ok.

I still think it'd be way smarter to just make all of these long-term products. Or at least make each available for most of the year instead of 3 months.

I mean, you might well be right, I was just saying what I think their strategy probably is.

I feel like grabbing headlines is such a short-sighted strategy though. Plug and play devices can be sold pretty much anywhere, so you'd think having increased brand visibility all over the place would be a better strategy. I'm sure places like Walgreens would be more than happy to stock NES Classics in their stores for years to come.

I'm not disagreeing that what you're saying seems to be a better strategy, but Nintendo's goal here seems to be more directed towards grabbing headlines.

I hope people that think there's gonna be a massive stock surge for Splatoon 2 keep their expectation in check. There's no guarantee that this'll be the case. nintendo is struggling with stock big time, unfortunately.

Certainly no guarantee, but Nintendo did just release an official statement saying next month will see more stock.

deleted

Puh, that's a lot less Switches than I expected.

Didn't Nintendo release a statement that shipments will be better this fall?
If that's the case, they will stock up all they can for Splatoon 2 and the weeks to follow.

I see it this way - if they would pump out supply at around 50k/week and have a 100k bump for Splatoon, only to immediately go back to 50k/week it would look even worse than now because demand will go up even higher in Japan after S2 releases.
So several 20-30k weeks til it releases and after that a 50-100k baseline with a lot more stock for release week? I could see that coming across as the supply situation becoming better while it actually doesn't and theathering that until the supply line is actually able to stock up.

No idea if I hit the right numbers, I guess I'm slightly (a lot) above the actual ceiling, but this would be how I go about it. Nobody will remember these weeks compared to the weeks after Splatoon 2 and all that people will take from it is that supplies actually got better.

Strings

At this point Nintendo should try for a slightly lower price Switch SKU with less internal memory (8-16GB) from a different supplier to try and alleviate some of these stock problems. Even if it affects the performance of games loading from there to an extent.

Jesus, even less internal memory is ludicrous.

Someone explain me how come YSVIII is having legs. I mean i don't remember the Vita version having legs and isn't this the same game with some extra content?

/shrug. It's just a great game, and I'm real happy to see it holding on.

Shame about God Wars doing so terribly in Japan. Game is actually pretty damn good - nowhere near as awful as Natural Doctrine.

Zedark

Looking at Zerocmd's reports, most of the substantial ones were towards the end of the week (24th and 25th) or later (like this one and this one), so it's possible that the shipments for the start of the week were incredibly dire and later on it improved and continued to be a bit better at the start of this week. No guarantee, though, obviously.

Anyway, about this post:
Aeon will have 2,000 Switch units available tomorrow nationwide in their stores.
Do we know how much Aeon tends to get in other weeks? Would be interesting to compare a whole chain for different weeks.

ksamedi

I hope they solve their stock problems. There is a point where low stocks will actually hurt sales in the long tun and kill momentum. Shareholders will probably be angry. Cant wait for the wonderfull q and a session from the shareholder meetings.

Component shortages are not a good excuse at all actually. You plan components and production capacity way ahead of time. If you use components that you know will be supply constrained, you pick other components and design your system
That way. This is long term planning. I have a feeling they messed up there.

Lelou

Oh well..
That drop..

Nintendo should sell some consoleon lose for make the production goes up right?
What are they waiting for?

ggx2ac

This is still more favourable than the Wii U with its 4k sales weeks.

The worst thing about the Switch is that they aren't making enough currently.

The worst thing about the Wii U is that they couldn't get people interested in buying the system.

Mpl90

Certainly this is playing a part. Again, not only we have what people could consider "vague" words (i.e. the stock situation improving in July and August), but there are also actual demonstrations this is going to happen: both Splatoon 2 and MHXX are getting bundles. Such a thing wouldn't happen if Nintendo didn't have stock ready for both special editions.

Nibel

No this is Iwata's fault for approving a console that would bunt heads with Apple & other Mobile Companies.

So again; Iwata is at fault. Great developer. Horrible business leader.

Not only have you obviously no clue what you are talking about, but you're also making someone responsible for decisions that have been made past his lifetime

Like, read before hitting
KO3oqGb.png
cuz good lord

Maybe a shareholder will bring up the shortages during the Q&A of the Annual general meeting of shareholders tomorrow since Nintendo publicly apologised it that maybe we could get more info in regards to what their situation is.

Maybe?

Mpl90

Anyway, about this post:

Do we know how much Aeon tends to get in other weeks? Would be interesting to compare a whole chain for different weeks.

Yeah, I was wondering about this as well, even if we would still need to specify this is just for Aeon (after what happened last week with anecdotal reports, being cautious is the best way to not feel disappointment).

Top Bottom