• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 25, 2017 (Jun 19 - Jun 25)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
ßig;242631306 said:
9,500 yen

I don't think the price was what limited the game's digital sales. More like, well, being a launch game at 32 GBs of size (I specified launch game due to the special conditions of a launch, i.e. people more willing to buy games at retail with the console and less willing to buy additional memory cards).

Still, if we want to take Famitsu numbers as reliable, it sold at least 1,305 digital copies (March only). Which also means that all the games in the Top 30 sold more than 1,305 digital copies (again, if we want to take Famitsu as reliable)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234909010&postcount=657

26. [PS4] Konoyo no Hate de Koi o Utau Shoujo: Yu-No - 1.881 / 1.881 (5pb.) - {16/03/2017}
27. [SWI] Puyo Puyo Tetris S - 1.482 / 1.482 (SEGA) - {03/03/2017}
28. [SWI] Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch - 1.305 / 1.305 (Square Enix) - {03/03/2017}

And yes, later I'll use the known Famitsu numbers for the First Half Switch chart :p

ggx2ac

Dragon Quest Heroes I-II didn't charted? Yikes...

Not many people would want to download a 32GB game compared to buying it at retail.

________

That's one thing I wanted to mention, it's been nice having almost 20 games on my Switch and only using up 14GB of space on my SD card.

It's, surprising that some of Nintendo's games are as big as the bigger 3DS games even though they are outputting in HD.

Splatoon 2 will be 3.1GB iirc at launch, Mario+Rabbids will be 2.3GB, ARMS was a similar size iirc. The only exception is Zelda BotW since that was a huge game in scope.

SS

ßig

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think the price was what limited the game's digital sales. More like, well, being a launch game at 32 GBs of size (I specified launch game due to the special conditions of a launch, i.e. people more willing to buy games at retail with the console and less willing to buy additional memory cards).

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. Double whammy.

Mpl90

Nintendo 3DS Japanese eShop Top 25 First Half of 2017 {2017.01.01 - 2017.06.30}

Retail games

01. Monster Hunter XX (Capcom)
02. Cube Creator DX (Arc System Works)
03. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (Nintendo)
04. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3: Professional (Square Enix)
05. Animal Crossing New Leaf: amiibo+ (Nintendo)
06. Terraria (Spike Chunsoft)
07. Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo)
08. Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse (Atlus)
09. Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! (Nintendo)
10. RPG Maker Fes (Kadokawa Games)
11. Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo)
12. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3d (Nintendo)
13. Miitopia (Nintendo)
14. Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo)
15. Yokai Watch 3: Sukiyaki (Level 5)
16. Pokémon Sun (Nintendo)
17. Pokémon Moon (Nintendo)
18. Poochie & Yoshi's Wolly World (Nintendo)
19. Tomodachi Life (Nintendo)
20. Pro Baseball Famista Climax (Bandai Namco)
21. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo)
22. Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X (Bandai Namco)
23. Monster Hunter Generations (Capcom)
24. The Alliance Alive (FuRyu)
25. Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns (Marvelous AQL)

Digital Only

01. The Battle Cats POP! (PONOS)
02. Bye-Bye BoxBoy! (Nintendo)
03. Ice Station Z (Woobly Tooth)
04. Cube Creator 3D (Arc System Works)
05. Kirby Fighters Z (Nintendo)
06. Tank Troopers (Nintendo)
07. Battleminer (Starsign)
08. Of Mice and Sand (Arc System Works)
09. 3D Classics. Kirby's Adventure (Nintendo)
10. Super Bike Rider ???? (Spicysoft Corporation) - sorry, can't completely translate this one
11. Bike Rider DX (Spicysoft Corporation)
12. Pokèmon Dream Radar (Nintendo)
13. Urban Trial Freestyle (Flyhigh Works)
14. Stick Figures Challenge! (Bandai Namco)
15. Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 (Inti Creates)
16. Neko Atsume (Hit Points)
17. Brave Dungeon (INSIDE SYSTEM)
18. Final Fantasy (Square Enix)
19. Picross e7 (Jupiter)
20. Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary Mini Version (SEGA)
21. Smash Bros. Controller (Nintendo)
22. Chat-a-Lot (WaiS Co.LTD)
23. Fairune 2 (Flyhigh Works)
24. BoxBoxBoy! (Nintendo)
25. Urban Trial Freestyle 2 (Flyhigh Works)

Virtual Console

01. Pokèmon: Yellow Version (Nintendo)
02. Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo)
03. Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
04. Pokèmon: Red Version (Nintendo)
05. Super Mario World (Nintendo)
06. Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War (Nintendo)
07. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo)
08. Mother 2 (Nintendo)
09. Final Fantasy III (Square Enix)
10. Pokèmon: Blue Version (Nintendo)
11. Pokèmon: Green Version (Nintendo)
12. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (Nintendo)
13. Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Nintendo)
14. Live A Live (Square Enix)
15. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Nintendo)
16. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Nintendo)
17. Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (Nintendo)
18. Kirby's Dream Land (Nintendo)
19. Super Mario kart (Nintendo)
20. Donkey Kong Country 2 (Nintendo)
21. Pokèmon Trading Card Game (Nintendo)
22. Fire Emblem Gaiden (Nintendo)
23. Donkey Kong Country (Nintendo)
24. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Nintendo)
25. Romancing SaGa (Square Enix)

Mpl90

SE will cancel every Switch game following these sales, just like NIS cancelled everything after how D5 bombed in Japan.

Ah yes, the legendary Disgaea 5 bomb that was so strong that NISA has decided to bring former Vita only games to Switch for their Western release as a joke to remind everyone that they tried, but it just wasn't worth it.

Strange to see this spawned by a launch title with such a high price that should be near 60,000 by now going by my mixed tracker analysis, and that is still presumably selling by now. Certainly the vast majority of its sales are coming from retail, that's for sure :p

Ah right, speaking of Nippon Ichi: the recent NISA announcement + Anihawk's words make me curious to see when we'll start to see PS4/Vita/Switch announcements from the Japanese branch of the company.

LordKano

Upcoming games from NIS are Yomawari 2, Hakoniwa Company Works (the Minecraft rip-off sold at an absurd price), PS4 port Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain and Iwahime Matsuri, a PS4/Vita port of a PC visual novel released last year. All of these will release this summer, and NIS has nothing announced for the distant future. I guess we'll have some announcements at TGS. I wonder if it's too early to tease Disgaea 6.

Mpl90

Switch Japanese eShop Top 30 First Half of 2017 {2017.03.03 - 2017.06.30}

01. SnipperClips: Cut it out together! (Nintendo) - 113,287*
02. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Mojang/Microsoft) - 59,886*
03. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) - 43,065*
04. Kamiko (Circle)
05. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) - 41,697*
06. ACA NeoGeo: Metal Slug 3 (Hamster)
07. Arms (Nintendo)
08. 1-2 Switch (Nintendo) - 9,688*
09. ACA NeoGeo: The King of Fighters '98 (Hamster)
10. Othello (Arc System Works)
11. VOEZ (Circle)
12. Super Bomberman R (Konami) - 5,387**
13. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers (Arc Ststem Works)
14. Blaster Master Zero (Inti Creates/ Sunsoft)
15. ACA NeoGeo: Metal Slug (Hamster)
16. Human Resoruce Machine (Tomorrow Corporation)
17. Flip Wars (Over Pence)
18. Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (Yacht Club Games)
19. Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (Capcom) - 1,682*
20. Unholy Heights (Petit Depotto)
21. Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (DotEmu)
22. Seiken Densetsu Collection (Square Enix)
23. Puyo Puyo Tetris (SEGA) - 1,482**
24. Mighty Gunvolt Burst (Inti Creates)
25. Thumper (Droll LLC)
26. Disgaea 5: Complete (Nippon Ichi Software)
27. Dark Witch Music Episode: Rudymical (Circle)
28. World of Goo (Tomorrow Corporation)
29. Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power-Up kit (Koei Tecmo)
30. ACA NeoGeo: Samurai Showdown IV (Hamster) > 1,305***

* = as of May 28th, 2017
** = as of April 30th, 2017
*** = as of March 26th, 2017

Added known Famitsu digital estimates as references.

At a first superficial glance, seeing Blaster Master Zero "only" 14th, despite the fact it was at 80,000 downloads WW (3DS + Switch, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the game sold more on Switch) already on May 10th, 2017, makes me think Famitsu is still underestimating digital sales on Nintendo platforms somehow, in spite of generally good / high numbers for some specific games.

Also, holy shit at Kamiko if that's the case.

Upcoming games from NIS are Yomawari 2, Hakoniwa Company Works (the Minecraft rip-off sold at an absurd price), PS4 port Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain and Iwahime Matsuri, a PS4/Vita port of a PC visual novel released last year. All of these will release this summer, and NIS has nothing announced for the distant future. I guess we'll have some announcements at TGS. I wonder if it's too early to tease Disgaea 6.

You're missing Penny-Punching Princess and The Longest 5 Minutes, the two games that Mpl90 referenced.

I'd imagine a longer gap until the next mainline Disgaea game.

Also, NIS seem to be shifting towards lots of smaller games these days rather than the fewer, bigger titles they used to do on the PS2/early PS3 games, so I'd imagine they'll just be magazine announcements throughout the year.

Mpl90

You're missing Penny-Punching Princess and The Longest 5 Minutes, the two games that Mpl90 referenced.

No, he's correct since both of us were mainly referencing to Japanese releases when speaking of NISA's potential future PS4/PSV/Switch announcements. Yesterday's announcements were specifically for the West, with both games having already released in Japan back in 2016.

LordKano

I wonder if NISA's Switch and PS4 ports from Vita will get Japanese releases actually?

None of them are announced for Japan, it seems like they're going for the Bamco route, to add platforms when they're localizing games. NIS games nowadays are mostly selling in the west so I'm not surprised.

L~A

Media Create

Switch 25,805
PS4 21,873
New3DS LL 12,669
PS4 Pro 7,321
Vita 4,403
2DS 2,311
New3DS 740
Xbox One 228
Wii U 193
PS3 153

Radiant Historia: 24k

I'm betting Metal Slug 1, 2, X and 3 will all be in the top 30. If Hamster ever port 4 and 5, they'd probably be there too.

D.Lo

Also, holy shit at Kamiko if that's the case.
I reckon a lot of Kamiko buys were from overseas before it was announced for other territories. I certainly bought it on the Japanese store, it was a great, cheap little way to try out the region-freeness of the Switch.

Kureransu

Didn't realize how much the 3ds has fallen off over last year.

I think it's safe to say 25k a week is the Switch's base line for the summer save for the week of splatoon 2

Datschge

3DS is at about 20+ million, 20+ million, 20+ million (Japan, US, RoW).

Dedicated gaming portables are a disproportionately Japanese thing. Nintendo is trying to bridge the gap between their handheld and home console audiences and trying to remain relevant to the former, which is, again, disproportionately Japanese.

DS+PSP went for 230+ million sales, combined worldwide. 3DS+Vita are at ~75+ million sales, combined worldwide.

I don't think dedicated gaming portables are currently on the rise. Perhaps Switch beats 75 million itself over its life time. I'd imagine ~150 million (DS alone) or 230 million (DS+PSP) are quite far out of reach. I think Switch would be a victory for Nintendo if it held to 3DS's ~60 million and quite the victory if it outsells the 3DS.

The corebox is having a fine time outside of Japan this generation, particularly the PS4.

I don't think it is in decline atm. I do think AAA HD development, which is the centerpiece of this console model, is incredibly resource intensive, and high risk, high reward and only increasingly so. But at least PS4/One aren't comparable to where PS3/360 were when they came out, technologically speaking.

The Wii was an attempt (a successful attempt) at an alternate path for stationary consoles. Nintendo did not manage to sustain that path with Wii U, which was a confused console part-way between returning to the corebox fold and trying to solve the "TV Problem" (again, a disproportionately Japanese "problem") with the tablet controller, with a bit of a less-focused, less successful attempt at a Wii-like gameplay innovation via asymmetric multiplayer.

Switch is what the Wii U should have been. A full hybrid, which is simultaneously the most convincing answer to the "TV Problem" (you can use it as you would a portable and also use it as a stationary) while also being not beholden to there being resolution to that problem (because it is fully portable).

Also, tbc I put things like compromise in quotes for a reason. From the perspective of pushing specs and competing with similar non-hybrid consoles for AAA western games, making a hybrid system is a compromise. That doesn't mean that such a perspective is the perspective, from which a gaming console must be viewed. (See also "problem" above).

Nintendo's position since the GCN has been one of attempting to provide a compelling, alternate vision and trying to expand the audience (or at least their audience). But Sony is not in a position where its stationary line is in question, atm. They aren't going to see making a Sony Switch in the same way Nintendo would see making a Nintendo Switch.

And yes, I'm sure Nintendo is trying and wants to expand their market in America and Europe, at least. And the Switch is a revolutionary device that could well carve out an alternate path. But the way, in which it is revolutionary, also speaks directly to the Japanese market, which Nintendo is particularly interested in as it is of, again, disproportionate value to them (again, a full third of their last successful system's sales, whereas other contemporary consoles do not depend on nearly such a sizable Japanese contribution).

I don't talk about mobile in my post, but I don't really see how its existence has to do with what I am talking about. I'm comparing the relative importance of the Japanese domestic console market to Sony and Nintendo as an attempt to get at a perceived difference in focus on that market by Nintendo and Sony.

If you want my thoughts on Nintendo trying to carve out a space between mobile and stationary console gaming, here they are (from another thread, which was about Switch as a 3DS successor):
I think the global games industry missed a huge chance during the DS/Wii era where the borders between home console, handhelds and mobile phones were super fluid and newcomers (both players and developers) had a broad field to choose from. This is both the starting point as well as still the high point wrt to the casual reach of the classic video gaming market. Traditional 3rd parties dropped the ball back then (as many still do today in the mobile game market). Nintendo dropped the ball with both 3DS and Wii U that served neither the previous nor the core audiences. Sony essentially stopped catering to the casual audience after PS2 and PSP and subsequently cared less and less. Microsoft killed it with the misguided push for Kinect on Xbox One. With everybody having dropped the ball we today have two distinct markets today: the home console market that is dominant in the West and stagnating at best aside of expansion into new regions, and the mobile game market that's vastly dominating in Japan and China while still in expansion phase everywhere else. The PC game market is essentially feeding off the home console market, while the handheld market (pre-Switch) was mainly seen as dedicated gaming extension to the mobile game market. That split is a global issue. Nowadays aside Nintendo all serious efforts to bridge that gap are from indies.

MoonFrog

I think the global games industry missed a huge chance during the DS/Wii era where the borders between home console, handhelds and mobile phones were super fluid and newcomers (both players and developers) had a broad field to choose from. This is both the starting point as well as still the high point wrt to the casual reach of the classic video gaming market. Traditional 3rd parties dropped the ball back then (as many still do today in the mobile game market). Nintendo dropped the ball with both 3DS and Wii U that served neither the previous nor the core audiences. Sony essentially stopped catering to the casual audience after PS2 and PSP and subsequently cared less and less. Microsoft killed it with the misguided push for Kinect on Xbox One. With everybody having dropped the ball we today have two distinct markets today: the home console market that is dominant in the West and stagnating at best aside of expansion into new regions, and the mobile game market that's vastly dominating in Japan and China while still in expansion phase everywhere else. The PC game market is essentially feeding off the home console market, while the handheld market (pre-Switch) was mainly seen as dedicated gaming extension to the mobile game market. That split is a global issue. Nowadays aside Nintendo all serious efforts to bridge that gap are from indies.
I don't think you're carving this up accurately:

-Mobile is the biggest threat to the viability of the Nintendo handheld. Its existence threatens there even being a place for the dedicated gaming portable.

They aren't somehow in it together, and instead Nintendo needs to sell people on having another portable device with a convincing vision for gaming and convincing software.

They also aren't somehow the same scene. There is some cross-over in successful software shape (easy to play, easy to put away; pick-up and play), but there is little crossover in biggest games and game types and monetization schemes.

Mobile's success isn't somehow dedicated portable's success. 3DS/Switch aren't suddenly super viable where-ever mobile gaming has strong numbers.

-The portable competes with mobile as devices to game on the go and in Japan it competes with mobile as the two top domestic markets for gaming.

The portable also competes as a dedicated gaming platform against stationary devices.

This is largely competition for Japanese software; isn't a global game development conundrum (just look at what games are on 3DS). Do you target the largest console market in the RoW or do you target the largest console market in Japan? (Other question: are you contently captive to a sustainable domestic/foreign niche on any of these platforms?).

Can your game be viable on both at acceptable cost? (Here's where a) Switch's specs, b) modest budget/medium ambition games (many party/expanded audience games as well as many Japanese games) c) small budget/growth seeking games (many indies), come in).

(And why not invest in mobile instead?)

And yes, this divide is the DS/PS3 divide in Japan and fallout from the collapse from PS2 to PS3 (at the same time costs ballooned). Switch presents a potential solution to that (viable cross gen +) but at a time when it seems the future of Japan is mobile and when Japan has started to get some ducks in a row again wrt PS4 and the west.

-PC scene(s) is(are) not simply an extension of tye corebox scene. There is plenty going on there unique to that range of devices or happening in a unique way.

Sure, there was plenty of consolification of big brands last generation but that's naught but a single facet of PC gaming.

-Corebox developers don't need to get their corebox games on mobile. Mobile developers don't need to get their games on coreboxes. I don't really see how that is a gap that needs to be bridged. Sure, the scenes compete for developer time and money but they don't compete for given games.

Nintendo and Indies also aren't bridging this gap.

Datschge

-Mobile is the biggest threat to the viability of the Nintendo handheld. Its existence threatens there even being a place for the dedicated gaming portable.
Shortsighted again. With younger generations growing up gaming on phones mobile is the biggest threat to dedicated gaming devices altogether. In a world that makes consumption of entertainment ever more mobile strictly stationary home consoles are a dead end, no longer a viable choice to many.

They also aren't somehow the same scene. There is some cross-over in successful software shape (easy to play, easy to put away; pick-up and play), but there is little crossover in biggest games and game types and monetization schemes.
Backward again. Arcade, early home console and handheld games defined a lot of the tool set that is now used in mobile games. The black and white split between mobile and dedicated gaming devices only happened when the whole industry massively dropped the ball during the heights of DS and Wii.

Mobile's success isn't somehow dedicated portable's success. 3DS/Switch aren't suddenly super viable where-ever mobile gaming has strong numbers.
Never claimed any of that.

-Corebox developers don't need to get their corebox games on mobile. Mobile developers don't need to get their games on coreboxes. I don't really see how that is a gap that needs to be bridged. Sure, the scenes compete for developer time and money but they don't compete for given games.
With "core" gamers getting older and younger gamers used to playing primarily on mobile "corebox" will increasingly be starved for an audience, not only in Japan (already) but increasingly also on a global scale. Already now it's mostly only sustainable on blockbuster game titles being successful, a part of which is moving to heavily DLC based monetization schemes also seen on mobile (mostly sports games and Microsoft published games).

MoonFrog

Shortsighted again. With younger generations growing up gaming on phones mobile is the biggest threat to dedicated gaming devices altogether. In a world that makes consumption of entertainment ever more mobile strictly stationary home consoles are a dead end, no longer a viable choice to many.

But they aren't the biggest competitor to handheld gaming?! That's the claim you are objecting to.

And yes, mobile is more of a direct competitor to handheld gaming. They have a much bigger overlap in use case.

What is short-sighted about the claim that "mobile is Nintendo's biggest competitor?"

Backward again. Arcade, early home console and handheld games defined a lot of the tool set that is now used in mobile games.

I didn't say that wasn't the case; that classic gaming doesn't inform mobile gaming, but mobile gaming does spin genres in its own way towards its own monetization scheme and with its own limitations.

You don't think that mobile spins on puzzle, strategy games and what not are designed to the peculiarities of those systems?

Also there is a place for selling "premium" re-releases of old games on mobile and a place for "mobile" games on consoles, but those are hardly the driving forces of those two markets.

The black and white split between mobile and dedicated gaming devices only happened when the whole industry massively dropped the ball during the heights of DS and Wii.

Nope. Mobile was always going to be a new platform, with new realities. It was also always going to out-DS DS.

Moreover, Japan in particular did support the DS well, both with light proto-mobile software and PS2 successor software.

Never claimed any of that.

You didn't? I'll just quote you yourself back:

The reduced importance of home consoles, the rise of portable gaming as well as mobile phone gaming all have been coming for a very long time now.

With everybody having dropped the ball we today have two distinct markets today: the home console market that is dominant in the West and stagnating at best aside of expansion into new regions, and the mobile game market that's vastly dominating in Japan and China while still in expansion phase everywhere else. The PC game market is essentially feeding off the home console market, while the handheld market (pre-Switch) was mainly seen as dedicated gaming extension to the mobile game market.

What else is this all supposed to mean?! You lump the two together and claim that dedicated portables are a growing sector, when that makes absolutely no sense in any world where you are not lumping them in together.

Again, 230 million to 75 million. In what world is that growth or even status quo? It only makes sense if you roll the two in together, which you seem to want to do.

With "core" gamers getting older and younger gamers used to playing primarily on mobile "corebox" will increasingly be starved for an audience, not only in Japan (already) but increasingly also on a global scale. Already now it's mostly only sustainable on blockbuster game titles being successful, a part of which is moving to heavily DLC based monetization schemes also seen on mobile (mostly sports games and Microsoft published games).

Where is this cratering corebox market?! PS4 is probably going to hit 80-100 million. Xbox One, say, 50-60 million. PS3/360 sold what 160 million? So you're looking at maybe 130 to 160 million. The model is continuing just fine, atm.

And that's just it. You seem to be on about how this is all going to fall apart in the future because of mobile and because of how much triple A sucks, which, well, could happen. But it isn't happening atm and you don't know what companies invested in this sort of console are going to do in the future.

Nintendo needed a new way forward after GCN. As much as Iwata wanted to expand gaming, as much as "lateral thinking with withered technology" was an idea at Nintendo for a long time and always a tenet of their portable line, GCN was also proof that Nintendo could not simply offer a "better" PlayStation and win back the (Japanese) support it had lost to the original PlayStation. It wasn't Nintendo, in the position Sony and MS are in now seeing the writing on the wall and trying to change things up. It was Nintendo failing to be where Sony and MS are now trying to find a new way forward.

The point of foresight is not to change things before they need to be changed, it is to change things as they need to be changed. Calling out Sony/MS for not seeing things as Nintendo sees them is silly.

I do think PS3 blew up in Sony's and Japanese third parties' faces, and some of those parties have found a new way forward while others are struggling still to do so.

Notably though, Sony pivoted west and co-opted the software streams that pushed early 360 to success in America and UK while also finding their footing with their first party efforts. PS4 success is the reward of positive efforts on their part to adopt to the mess they found themselves in with the PS3.

Western AAA looks like it is bound to implode someday, much like, say, Hollywood became way too big for its britches, but it hasn't yet. Moreover, with things like indie games becoming viable on these platforms and new monetizations (yes, inspired by mobile and browser monetizations), who is to say that there won't be a way forward for software on these things?

Further still, even Japanese games, which struggled so much with PS3, are starting to find a way forward on consoles as sub-AAA games of varying sizes relying on a mix of eastern/western sales and a proliferation of common tools and development outsourcing.

Basically, why assume that they won't keep changing with the times?!

And TBC, you're talking to someone who regularly rags on how bad an experience he had with PS3 and how much he thinks it was bad for the Japanese industry, and to whom the corebox and AAA doesn't speak anymore.

They are still viable in the current market and there is no reason people in that market cannot continue to adapt if/when they become less viable.

Also, still wondering how ANY of this discussion goes back to discrediting the very simple observations that:

a) Nintendo has more at stake in Japan than Sony or MS.
b) Portables are a disproportionately Japanese market.
c) Nintendo relies disproportionately on Japanese consumers and developers.
d) Switch's design, understandably, speaks to Japanese market realities in particular, reflecting these facts.

These are the things that you found shortsighted, backwards observations in my first post. You responded to nothing in the content of my reply to that criticism.

Datschge

Sorry guys, this is a bump of the old Media Create thread and only used for miscommunication between me and MoonFrog, move along.

But they aren't the biggest competitor to handheld gaming?! That's the claim you are objecting to.

And yes, mobile is more of a direct competitor to handheld gaming. They have a much bigger overlap in use case.

What is short-sighted about the claim that "mobile is Nintendo's biggest competitor?"
Please stop using Nintendo and start looking at the whole picture. Of course if Nintendo doubles down on the portable aspect mobile is Nintendo's biggest competitor. But mobile is also eating away at dedicated device gaming as a whole, and for the growing audience used to game on the go an increasing part won't be reachable for stationary gaming anymore. And it's there where competitors like Sony just ignoring the issue altogether is a huge pita.

What else is this all supposed to mean?! You lump the two together and claim that dedicated portables are a growing sector, when that makes absolutely no sense in any world where you are not lumping them in together.
In Japan the mobile market is vastly bigger than the handheld market, which again is vastly bigger than the stationary home console market. Globally the mobile market is growing a lot while stationary home console market is stagnating beyond expansion in regions that haven't have easy access to the latter before. Globally the handheld market is relatively negligible, and exactly that should be a huge worry considering an ever increasing part of the audience has the expectation of gaming being something to do on the go ingrained.

Where is this cratering corebox market?! PS4 is probably going to hit 80-100 million. Xbox One, say, 50-60 million. PS3/360 sold what 160 million? So you're looking at maybe 130 to 160 million. The model is continuing just fine, atm.
Global sales of stationary home consoles per gen (as per Wikipedia):
3rd gen (NES, Master Sytem, Atari 7800...): ~78 Mil
4th gen (SNES, Mega Drive, PC Engine...): ~94 Mil
5th gen (PS1, N64, Saturn...): ~146 Mil
6th gen (PS2, Xbox, GC...): ~210 Mil
7th gen (Wii, PS3, Xbox 360): ~272 Mil
8th gen (PS4, Xbox One, Wii U): around 73 Mil so far? We are 4 years in and it's already very clear PS4 won't be able to shoulder the crash alone. And we aren't even including the crash that the handheld market saw at the same time.

The current state for dedicated gaming device market is historically dire. Pretending that it's a Japan and/or Nintendo specific issue is willfully turning a blind eye toward the development that's already affecting the dedicated gaming device market since the start of this gen. That all of the industry is turning said blind eye doesn't make it any better, quite the contrary.

Datschge

> 100 M actually

PS4 > 60
Wii U > 13.56
Xbox One - no official data, but I guess it's close to 30

btw, Switch also will be counted as 8th gen.
Switch wouldn't be included for the purpose of the discussion where MoonFrog claims portable (including Switch) is at this point a Nintendo only cop-out specifically for Japan that doesn't affect the rest of the industry. The point of the numbers is that even with the most optimistic projections (and excluding portables, thus Switch) this gen's install base will fall well short of last gen even globally.

Top Bottom