• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 25, 2017 (Jun 19 - Jun 25)

L~A

This Direct is going to be interesting, since it's the one where Nintendo should finally talk about their voice chat / lobby app. Also post-launch support and Splatfest. Curious to see how different post-launch is this time around (frequency of updates, mainly), since Splatoon 2 is obviously meant to be an ever-green title lasting the whole gen. Quite different from the Wii U where support was quickly stopped after holiday.

Assume this will really be the launch of the Splatoon 2 push. Should be interesting- hope Nintendo has the stock

Oh yeah, fully expect TV ads to start popping up.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Am I the only one that is a bit irritated that every time a new Japanese game gets announce it just for PS4 and not PS4/Switch? I feel like Sony has third parties in the bag and Nintendo looks like they have none (I know, SEnand few have said they are supporting switch) despite Switch being a big success.

Also I do hope Nintendo is smart enough to reroute some switch from USA and Europe to Japan so that Hardware sales gets a big boost when Splatoon 2 drops

Might have to do with the fact that the PS4 is in its 4th year and and Switch has been out for like 3 months. These games being unveiled for PS4 now have been in development for 12-18 months at least already...adding another system to the mix is not something every publisher can do. Especially if they arent planning on delaying the PS4 version because of the extra work on a Switch release.

I wouldnt worry about Switch 3rdParty support....but you cant expect the System to be treated the same was the PS4 right now, just not realistic for multiple reasons.

Am I the only one that is a bit irritated that every time a new Japanese game gets announce it just for PS4 and not PS4/Switch? I feel like Sony has third parties in the bag and Nintendo looks like they have none (I know, SEnand few have said they are supporting switch) despite Switch being a big success.

Also I do hope Nintendo is smart enough to reroute some switch from USA and Europe to Japan so that Hardware sales gets a big boost when Splatoon 2 drops

Anything that is being announced for PS4 now that is launching relatively soon probably is too deep into production to spin off a Switch version. Sony is always going to get the defacto third party support because Sony is always predictable with providing powerful hardware with no special twist.

That said by TGS this year I imagine you'll see some more Switch stuff announced. It ian't going to surpass what the PS4 is getting but I imagine it's going to be decent relative to western third parties.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I always thought it'd be similar to the 3DS in terms of support, in terms of sales its doing better but not -that- much better. Obviously a lot of it has to do with pathetic lack of stock and its meteoric rise is in comparison to the corpse of the Wii U for the last half decade.

Its still a handheld at the end of the day which means lots of support from Japan (eventually) and questionable support from everywhere else when it comes to 3rd parties. I did think it'd get more traction though with console games from both but like others said its still really early. I think it'd be fair to start worrying about that stuff if there aren't more announcements next year.

Vena

I always thought it'd be similar to the 3DS in terms of support, in terms of sales its doing better but not -that- much better. Obviously a lot of it has to do with pathetic lack of stock and its meteoric rise is in comparison to the corpse of the Wii U for the last half decade.

Its rise is meteoric relative to every other piece of hardware released in the past near-decade sans the 3DS.

Ōkami

The White PS4 is getting a wider release on July 29th, guess why.

Switch version of NBA won't be released alongisde the other versions in Japan for some reason.

Famitsu says the first half of 2017 sees a 14.8% growth compared to last year, first year that sees growth in 3 years.

Hardware: 765.1
Software: 766.9

Hardware: 531.3
Software: 803.7

Top best selling games of 2017 (as of June 25)
  1. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX - 1.640.005
  2. [3DS] Pokemon Sun / Moon - 527.862
  3. [SWI] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 501.614
  4. [SWI] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 460.480
  5. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS - 397.656
  6. [PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard - 324.066
  7. [PS4] NieR: Automata - 311.906
  8. [3DS] Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! - 263.790
  9. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki - 215.297
  10. [SWI] 1-2-Switch - 200.807
We should be getting a top 100 (from both trackers) fairly soon.

Jigorath

Banned
Everybody's Golf mobile game is out in Japan now.

I'd start a new thread but I doubt anyone cares since it's Japan only at the moment. I hope the localization doesn't take too long.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Just me or is there absolutely zero fanfare for FFXII? Haven't even seen an ad anywhere.

I'd start a new thread but I doubt anyone cares since it's Japan only at the moment. I hope the localization doesn't take too long.
Played about 5 courses and deleted the app. Think I'm way over Mingol, or golf games in general really. They all feel cut and paste. A Camelot Mario Golf GB style game would be great though.

ggx2ac

Sony has no plans to bring any of their announced mobile games to the west.

Asia only.

ggx2ac

Just to make certain, this was known since October last year:

TOKYO -- Sony plans to ready five or more smartphone games for release around late March 2018, targeting Japan and other parts of Asia.

Sony Interactive Entertainment will create new offerings based on popular PlayStation series. Mobile game arm ForwardWorks will handle distribution.

Some older games that cannot be played on the latest hardware will be revived. Games may be linked to consoles as well. Titles in development will likely be announced by year-end.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Sony-to-launch-first-smartphone-games-in-2018

That's why when they ended up revealing those mobile games, it was at a Japan only event. There was no streaming worldwide with translation to English on the fly like events they had in the past like TGS if I remember correctly.

Am I the only one that is a bit irritated that every time a new Japanese game gets announce it just for PS4 and not PS4/Switch?

a gamer always welcomes a new game announcement
a fanboy only when it's on his beloved system

probably you ain't into the first category

Laplasakos

Ōkami;242539569 said:
The White PS4 is getting a wider release on July 29th, guess why.

Wait a minute. PS4 white was available in limited quantities until now? How come? Also strange that Japan isn't receiving yet the Gold and Silver variations since the new colors always released in Japan first.

Malakai

I'd assume the current sales for GE are enough to warrant the project, especially if you expect some 200k on PC in the west as well. Of course, I don't know if they expect an uptick on the new release over the previous ports and, again, we still have no idea how the console releases actually did outside of Japan.

That said, Bamco's been a good case study on the PC with their Tales of releases and the 'novelty of first release' bumps. Looking SteamSpy you can see the degradation entry on entry for the series (of course, some part of that is also likely owed to the poor reputation Bamco got themselves with Tales of ports):

Over 50% of the initial "new audience" is gone from trackable PC sales, and it is unlikely they all moved to console. If you paint expectations based on the former performance and end up with the latter, you'll likely be in for a rather rude awakening.

And we've been seeing this over and over as the first entry garners attention and exposure, but subsequent entries pass by unnoticed or have poor retention of "new fans" from the first entry.

I recall Tales of Zestiria being in a humble bundle @ the $15 USD teir. Not sure on how that would have affected Steam-Spy data collection.

I recall Tales of Zestiria being in a humble bundle @ the $15 USD teir. Not sure on how that would have affected Steam-Spy data collection.

That probably has a lot of impact on the owners number, but so do Steam sales. In the end, all of those copies are sold copies. SteamSpy isn't meant for multiplying the amount of owners with the current Steam price. And BNE did get a lot of revenue from those 116k ToB owners (lowest price is the current 40% discount), of which probably a big majority bought it after playing ToZ. So it doesn't really matter.

L~A

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux out on October 26th.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201707/04136887.html

Also, seem to be a livestream on Sunday, about that game and SMT 25th Anniversary. Hope y'all ready for a super extended cut of the reveal trailer with 5 additional seconds of a still artwork.

Fake edit: wow, just realised it was on the same day as 12sai: Torokeru Puzzle ♡ Futari no Harmony, also on 3DS. Battle of the titans!

KtSlime

Wait a minute. PS4 white was available in limited quantities until now? How come? Also strange that Japan isn't receiving yet the Gold and Silver variations since the new colors always released in Japan first.
Japan is at the bottom of Sony's priorities. It is simply a place to maintain 3rd party developer support.

Laplasakos

Japan is at the bottom of Sony's priorities. It is simply a place to maintain 3rd party developer support.

I strongly disgree.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux out on October 26th.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201707/04136887.html

Also, seem to be a livestream on Sunday, about that game and SMT 25th Anniversary. Hope y'all ready for a super extended cut of the reveal trailer with 5 additional seconds of a still artwork.

Fake edit: wow, just realised it was on the same day as 12sai: Torokeru Puzzle ♡ Futari no Harmony, also on 3DS. Battle of the titans!

Hopefully some news for SMT HD will be there.

Really wondering how Crash does in Japan in august. I mean the original games sold really well for western games but if I have understood right in Japan the average age of console gamers is a lot lower than in west so getting people to buy something based on nostalgia is harder.

Little Mons†er;242553370 said:
Curious to see how it will do without the launch hype

It wasn't because of launch hype that original Knack sold well. it was because it was bundled with every single launch shipment PS4. Knack 2 will do jack shit in Japan.

mclem

Oooooh, maybe this time we'll get a glimpse of God's foot or something.

Well BAM! There it is.

PAcomXG.gif

a gamer always welcomes a new game announcement
a fanboy only when it's on his beloved system

probably you ain't into the first category

Hey I must admit you have some nerve :)

Can't wait to see if they will significantly improve Switch supply in the coming weeks. I hope so.

Gradivus

Really wondering how Crash does in Japan in august. I mean the original games sold really well for western games but if I have understood right in Japan the average age of console gamers is a lot lower than in west so getting people to buy something based on nostalgia is harder.

It's not appearing on comgnet and appearing around the 30's mark in the hourly amazon rankings at the moment.

jonno394

I wouldn't say irritated, but I wish more were heading towards the Switch. I have a PS4 so pretty much every title skipping Switch I could buy if I wanted to, but I'd prefer to get certain games on the Switch.

Mario007

Oh no, how dare do people make games for a non Nintendo platform. :(

Cry me a river.

Laplasakos

I didn't read it like that, but I guess I don't read things with the glasses of a console warrior.

So, he is a console warrior only because has a differet opinion from the member he quoted?

And you don't read things with the glasses of a cons...

Jeez...

You can disagree, but Sony's actions show otherwise. There were 38 countries where the PS4 was available before Japan. I'm not sure what else you would call it other than low priority.

Sony's actions brought DQ and MH back to Playstation. It also made PS4 selling better than PS3 both in hardware and software. Sony also released PS4 Slim and PRO in Japan around the same time as US and EU. Japan received the PS4 white one month after Europe (although in limited quantities).

Kanann

I know video games are not just graphic, but some (most) developers just want to move on from HW as low spec as Switch.

As I said before, forget AAA, Switch is perfect for mid-tier budgets 3rd parties and indies.
Nintendo also not a kind of company that keep licking another companies ass.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I know video games are not just graphic, but some (most) developers just want to move on from HW as low spec as Switch.

As I said before, forget AAA, Switch is perfect for mid-tier budgets 3rd parties and indies.

I doubt thats the reason - its always about the money.

Chauzu

So, he is a console warrior only because has a differet opinion from the member he quoted?

And you don't read things with the glasses of a cons...

Jeez...

I don't? I wish the industry well, and the japanese industry in particular can be late to transition to the new stuff. Just now are we seeing PS4 getting full support, and it has been 3 years. In the west we can see 3rd parties help kickstart hardware, but for Japan this isn't really a thing, and I'm left wondering if this harms Nintendo or the third parties more in the end.

Not trying to start a fight, but being worried about the lack of PS4 / Switch multiplats being announced is a viable discussion that deserves more than a "Sony can't have 3rd party support?" hot take.

Rncewind

Lets pretend for a second this is true, if the reason for switch lacking 3rd partie support is "nintendo not licking ass", nintendo is more asinine then i thougth in making bad business decisions.

The reality is simply that porting somethin to switch which not only has a far less global* reach then ps4 or xbox one but also simply not etablished as a third party plattform is simply not worth the financial investment.

*i know we are in a media create thread but there is no point in pretending that devoleper dont consider this, even the japanese ones

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sony's actions brought DQ and MH back to Playstation. It also made PS4 selling better than PS3 both in hardware and software. Sony also released PS4 Slim and PRO in Japan around the same time as US and EU. Japan received the PS4 white one month after Europe (although in limited quantities).

I mean..I never thought it was a controversial statement to say Sony has definitely prioritized the West over Japan this generation. Look at its first party output. Look at software for the Japanese market in the first year after launch.

Yes, it has good 3rd party support now- but it took a hell of a lot of multiplatform releases with its big brothers to get there.

Japan is absolutely PS4's weakest market and I don't think its an accident.

Eh, it's a money thing. The vast majority of stuff outta Japan could run on the Switch. We aren't talking Battlefront here. We'll have to wait and see. I don't expect great things third party wise but the hardware aint really the issue. Games have been ported to far weaker hardware comparitively speaking.

KtSlime

Just because they are on PS4 does not mean that Sony did anything to get them on the console, and if they did it does not mean they did it for Japan. As to when the consoles Slim and Pro launched in Japan, after other places is the accurate description.

Rncewind

I don't? I wish the industry well, and the japanese industry in particular can be late to transition to the new stuff. Just now are we seeing PS4 getting full support, and it has been 3 years. In the west we can see 3rd parties help kickstart hardware, but for Japan this isn't really a thing, and I'm left wondering if this harms Nintendo or the third parties more in the end.

Not trying to start a fight, but being worried about the lack of PS4 / Switch multiplats being announced is a viable discussion that deserves more than a "Sony can't have 3rd party support?" hot take.

The potential of lacking pc release is hurting the japanese devs much more then switch ever be so eeeeh i dont know about third party dooming themself over this even closly

as for nintendo, i dont know if jaapnese third party is that determinal to nintendo tbh. they need western one far more

Laplasakos

I mean..I never thought it was a controversial statement to say Sony has definitely prioritized the West over Japan this generation. Look at its first party output. Look at software for the Japanese market in the first year after launch.

Yes, it has good 3rd party support now- but it took a hell of a lot of multiplatform releases with its big brothers to get there.

Japan is absolutely PS4's weakest market and I don't think its an accident.

Sony has definitely prioritized the West over Japan, there is no doubt about that. What KtSlime stated was

which paints totally a different situation and makes it seem like Sony is selling Playstation for the same reason MS is selling Xbox.

What's the release date for it?

Top Bottom