• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 25, 2017 (Jun 19 - Jun 25)

Mario007

Sony has definitely prioritized the West over Japan, there is no doubt about that. What KtSlime stated was

which paints totally a different situation and makes it seem like Sony is selling Playstation for the same reason MS is selling Xbox.
Sony doesn't have an attractive product to sell in Japan. Its like selling a handheld in the west. You can only do so much.

Laplasakos

Just because they are on PS4 does not mean that Sony did anything to get them on the console, and if they did it does not mean they did it for Japan. As to when the consoles Slim and Pro launched in Japan, after other places is the accurate description.

Slim and Pro launched the same day in Japan as EU and US, so i am not sure what you are talking about. I thought there was one week difference but i was wrong.

mejin

Sony has definitely prioritized the West over Japan, there is no doubt about that. What KtSlime stated was

which paints totally a different situation and makes it seem like Sony is selling Playstation for the same reason MS is selling Xbox.

You can't forget Sony is doing better at Asia, even when Japan is a smaller market for them. I do think they are trying harder with better deals and IGC, for example. Don't think the problem is really Sony.

Any comparison with MS is pretty crazy cause MS is doing nothing for Asia and Japan.

KtSlime

No one knows why MS is selling Xbox in Japan, not even MS. Why is Sony selling Playstation in Japan rather than hardware that is more appealing to the market?

I am sorry about the mixed up release dates of the Pro and Slim, I always get confused by the order of American dates, I thought it was released in America in October.

Laplasakos

No one knows why MS is selling Xbox in Japan, not even MS. Why is Sony selling Playstation in Japan rather than hardware that is more appealing to the market?

I am sorry about the mixed up release dates of the Pro and Slim, I always get confused by the order of American dates, I thought it was released in America in October.

It's okay, i got the release dates mixed day (even by days :p). Regarding Xbox, i think MS still releases it for brand awareness for the japanese developers.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu Sales: H1-CY 2017 (2016 Dec 26 - 2017 Jun 25)

01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.03.18} (¥5.800) - 1.640.005 / NEW
02./00. [3DS] Pokemon Sun / Moon # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2016.11.18} (¥4.980) - 527.862 / 3.774.084
03./00. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 501.614 / NEW
04./00. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 460.480 / NEW
05./00. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.12.01} (¥4.700) - 397.656 / 1.141.044
06./00. [PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard # <ADV> (Capcom) {2017.01.26} (¥7.990) - 324.066 / NEW
07./00. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.02.23} (¥7.800) - 311.906 / NEW
08./00. [3DS] Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! <TBL> (Nintendo) {2016.12.22} (¥4.980) - 263.790 / 395.853
09./00. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5) {2016.12.15} (¥4.800) - 215.297 / 724.964
10./00. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥4.980) - 200.807 / NEW

Top 10

3DS - 5
NSW - 3
PS4 - 2

HARDWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System | This H1-CY | Last H1-CY |     LTD     |
|  NSW  |  1.016.473 |            |   1.016.473 |
| PS4 # |    877.630 |    716.849 |   4.799.246 |
| 3DS # |    872.620 |    667.907 |  22.784.033 |
| PSV # |    260.296 |    533.008 |   5.507.715 |
|  WIU  |     18.977 |    218.215 |   3.298.715 |
|  PS3  |     14.864 |     32.950 |  10.272.583 |
| XB1 # |      5.093 |      3.172 |      78.041 |
|  ALL  |  3.065.953 |  2.172.101 |  47.756.806 |
| XB1 S |      4.321 |            |       6.039 |
|  XB1  |        772 |      3.172 |      72.002 |
|PS4 Pro|    154.821 |            |     271.871 |
|  PS4  |    722.809 |    716.849 |   4.527.375 |
|  PSV  |    260.296 |    533.008 |   5.507.715 |
|  2DS  |    215.995 |            |     513.142 |
| n-3DS |    656.625 |    625.032 |   5.350.614 |

MARKET VALUE - Millions Yen
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+
|       | This H1-CY | Last H1-CY |
|  H-W  |     76.510 |     53.130 |
|  S-W  |     76.690 |     80.370 |
|  TOT  |    153.200 |    133.490 |

MoonFrog

The thing is that Nintendo has put themselves in the position during Iwata's tenure of needing Japan. DS/3DS hardware sales speak to that. DS/3DS third party support speaks to that. Switch's hybrid design speaks to that (as did Wii U's tablet controller). Nintendo is very much in the position where the closest way forward involves trying to expand and cater to the Japanese market.

I don't think Switch is going to change that. What third party support it gets is probably going to be mostly Japanese (excluding indies) and it is probably going to have a relatively large (for the industry) portion of its hardware sales in Japan.

The thing with Sony is that they want Japanese games (and will get them) with limited catering to the domestic market. They don't want to make the "compromises" Nintendo makes on its hardware; they want to push the western oriented corebox model forward and the more Japanese development they can get on board with that vision, the better but...The current diminished size of the Japanese console industry is no longer a problem for Sony as it is for Nintendo, especially not if PS4 can go toe-to-toe with PS3 in the end.

If the Japanese industry collapses further, it is going to hurt Nintendo a heck of a lot more. We're in a world where 3DS has sold more than PS2 in Japan and only 60+ million worldwide. If Japanese development on coreboxes falters, the biggest sellers/console movers on PS4 are still there. If Japanese development on Nintendo platforms falters, Nintendo is pretty much alone.

That said, Sony would obviously love it if there was a stationary console renaissance in Japan and if things like MHW and DQXI PS4 ushered it in. I don't think they're positioned such that that is particularly important to their future or that they're betting it'll happen though.

Japanese software is mostly about a ~reliable source of exclusives (vs Xbox) and core gamer satisfaction/wom for Sony, imo; isn't about throwing everything at making PS4 a success in that territory. And so long as Nintendo doesn't offer a console competing in that particular space in the west, the latter has little to no impact on the former anyway (and potentially even in the case where Nintendo does, this may still be the case).

Does that mean that it doesn't also push the device in Japan? No. But with the way Sony is positioned worldwide and the way Sony positions themselves in Japan make it hard to see that as the cause Sony is fighting, imo.

The potential of lacking pc release is hurting the japanese devs much more then switch ever be so eeeeh i dont know about third party dooming themself over this even closly

Agreed. But if you can launch a game on Switch for the domestic market you should. Can only help yoy.

as for nintendo, i dont know if jaapnese third party is that determinal to nintendo tbh. they need western one far more

I think it is detrimental but only because when they get it it appears so late it doesnt matter. Western third parties adapt to new hardware quicker. They are more crucial imo. That said this gen if Nintendo can secure sports titles consistently that they lost on WiiU and garner some good will I def see it helping them.

KtSlime

The thing is that Nintendo has put themselves in the position during Iwata's tenure of needing Japan. DS/3DS hardware sales speak to that. DS/3DS third party support speaks to that. Switch's hybrid design speaks to that (as did Wii U's tablet controller). Nintendo is very much in the position where the closest way forward involves trying to expand and cater to the Japanese market.

I don't think Switch is going to change that. What third party support it gets is probably going to be mostly Japanese (excluding indies) and it is probably going to have a relatively large (for the industry) portion of its hardware sales in Japan.

The thing with Sony is that they want Japanese games (and will get them) with limited catering to the domestic market. They don't want to make the "compromises" Nintendo makes on its hardware; they want to push the western oriented corebox model forward and the more Japanese development they can get on board with that vision, the better but...The current diminished size of the Japanese console industry is no longer a problem for Sony as it is for Nintendo, especially not if PS4 can go toe-to-toe with PS3 in the end.

If the Japanese industry collapses further, it is going to hurt Nintendo a heck of a lot more. We're in a world where 3DS has sold more than PS2 in Japan and only 60+ million worldwide. If Japanese development on coreboxes falters, the biggest sellers/console movers on PS4 are still there. If Japanese development on Nintendo platforms falters, Nintendo is pretty much alone.

That said, Sony would obviously love it if there was a stationary console renaissance in Japan and if things like MHW and DQXI PS4 ushered it in. I don't think they're positioned such that that is particularly important to their future or that they're betting it'll happen though.

Japanese software is mostly about a ~reliable source of exclusives (vs Xbox) and core gamer satisfaction/wom for Sony, imo; isn't about throwing everything at making PS4 a success in that territory. And so long as Nintendo doesn't offer a console competing in that particular space in the west, the latter has little to no impact on the former anyway (and potentially even in the case where Nintendo does, this may still be the case).

Does that mean that it doesn't also push the device in Japan? No. But with the way Sony is positioned worldwide and the way Sony positions themselves in Japan make it hard to see that as the cause Sony is fighting, imo.

Nintendo will certainly feel the crunch much sooner than Sony. As you said, one of the big differentiating points Sony has is they can leverage their relationships and sales (compared to Xbox) in Japan to get Japanese games to the West. But Sony should be cautious, because if development of software in Japan starts to differ too much from the West (like a complete shift to smartphone) they won't be able to use that software in the West as a plus alpha. If the future developers of game software aren't gaming on consoles now, they won't be writing software for consoles in the future. I believe that there is a bit of a feedback loop here, and people that get into these entertainment industries are people who have been greatly inspired by the works in them. Would be game developers aren't going to become developers to make games to sell in the West and not in Japan.

MoonFrog

Nintendo will certainly feel the crunch much sooner than Sony. As you said, one of the big differentiating points Sony has is they can leverage their relationships and sales (compared to Xbox) in Japan to get Japanese games to the West. But Sony should be cautious, because if development of software in Japan starts to differ too much from the West (like a complete shift to smartphone) they won't be able to use that software in the West as a plus alpha. If the future developers of game software aren't gaming on consoles now, they won't be writing software for consoles in the future. I believe that there is a bit of a feedback loop here, and people that get into these entertainment industries are people who have been greatly inspired by the works in them. Would be game developers aren't going to become developers to make games to sell in the West and not in Japan.
Yeah. And this is one of the core (self-interested) reasons why I hope the domestic industry in Japan keeps going as a gamer: I want Japanese console development to keep going and to keep having talent influx. The other core reason being the broader the Japanese market, the broader audience Japanese software can afford to be and still target Japan. I think a strong Japanese domestic market should be something all fans of Japanese software want, beyond just wanting success for gaming everywhere.

I guess the other thing to consider with Sony is that they do benefit from having their eggs in many baskets wrt software. It'd always be bad for them if one of those baskets fell into worse shape, or at least they wouldn't want that to happen as it is a nice thing to have, even if it seems unnecessary to their success. Diversification.

Still, I don't really see Sony pushing very hard to push the boundaries of that market. Idk.

even XBO had better sales this year, this definitely means that we reached the bottom in 2016 and now it's time for the market to grow up again

Zedark

even XBO had better sales this year, this definitely means that we reached the bottom in 2016 and now it's time for the market to grow up again

Wasn't there also speculation/reports some weeks ago that the Japanese mobile market was plateauing in terms of userbase? Could be related.

Kouriozan

Wasn't there also speculation/reports some weeks ago that the Japanese mobile market was plateauing in terms of userbase? Could be related.
Yes there indeed were talk about how the mobile growth peaked and now isn't making huge increases compared to before.

Datschge

I personally think this is a very shortsighted backward post. In the past the Japanese gaming market repeatedly has shown to pave the way in market changes that later apply globally. The reduced importance of home consoles, the rise of portable gaming as well as mobile phone gaming all have been coming for a very long time now. This is no longer specific to Japan, nor is Nintendo neither newly nor solely catering to the Japanese market with the Switch. Rather there is a reinforced split between conservative game development, with Sony moving their Playstation HQ to the US and many Japanese developers looking westward to perpetualize current development processes on the one side, and modern game companies pushing for their luck in the mobile market on the other side. What's increasingly losing out is the middle ground between both approaches that look beyond the gridlocked audiences, and that is a big risk for exclusive participants of either side even if status quo may look rosy overall.

MoonFrog

I personally think this is a very shortsighted backward post. In the past the Japanese gaming market repeatedly has shown to pave the way in market changes that later apply globally. The reduced importance of home consoles, the rise of portable gaming as well as mobile phone gaming all have been coming for a very long time now. This is no longer specific to Japan, nor is Nintendo neither newly nor solely catering to the Japanese market with the Switch. Rather there is a reinforced split between conservative game development, with Sony moving their Playstation HQ to the US and many Japanese developers looking westward to perpetualize current development processes on the one side, and modern game companies pushing for their luck in the mobile market on the other side. What's increasingly losing out is the middle ground between both approaches that look beyond the gridlocked audiences, and that is a big risk for exclusive participants of either side even if status quo may look rosy overall.

3DS is at about 20+ million, 20+ million, 20+ million (Japan, US, RoW).

Dedicated gaming portables are a disproportionately Japanese thing. Nintendo is trying to bridge the gap between their handheld and home console audiences and trying to remain relevant to the former, which is, again, disproportionately Japanese.

DS+PSP went for 230+ million sales, combined worldwide. 3DS+Vita are at ~75+ million sales, combined worldwide.

I don't think dedicated gaming portables are currently on the rise. Perhaps Switch beats 75 million itself over its life time. I'd imagine ~150 million (DS alone) or 230 million (DS+PSP) are quite far out of reach. I think Switch would be a victory for Nintendo if it held to 3DS's ~60 million and quite the victory if it outsells the 3DS.

The corebox is having a fine time outside of Japan this generation, particularly the PS4.

I don't think it is in decline atm. I do think AAA HD development, which is the centerpiece of this console model, is incredibly resource intensive, and high risk, high reward and only increasingly so. But at least PS4/One aren't comparable to where PS3/360 were when they came out, technologically speaking.

The Wii was an attempt (a successful attempt) at an alternate path for stationary consoles. Nintendo did not manage to sustain that path with Wii U, which was a confused console part-way between returning to the corebox fold and trying to solve the "TV Problem" (again, a disproportionately Japanese "problem") with the tablet controller, with a bit of a less-focused, less successful attempt at a Wii-like gameplay innovation via asymmetric multiplayer.

Switch is what the Wii U should have been. A full hybrid, which is simultaneously the most convincing answer to the "TV Problem" (you can use it as you would a portable and also use it as a stationary) while also being not beholden to there being resolution to that problem (because it is fully portable).

Also, tbc I put things like compromise in quotes for a reason. From the perspective of pushing specs and competing with similar non-hybrid consoles for AAA western games, making a hybrid system is a compromise. That doesn't mean that such a perspective is the perspective, from which a gaming console must be viewed. (See also "problem" above).

Nintendo's position since the GCN has been one of attempting to provide a compelling, alternate vision and trying to expand the audience (or at least their audience). But Sony is not in a position where its stationary line is in question, atm. They aren't going to see making a Sony Switch in the same way Nintendo would see making a Nintendo Switch.

And yes, I'm sure Nintendo is trying and wants to expand their market in America and Europe, at least. And the Switch is a revolutionary device that could well carve out an alternate path. But the way, in which it is revolutionary, also speaks directly to the Japanese market, which Nintendo is particularly interested in as it is of, again, disproportionate value to them (again, a full third of their last successful system's sales, whereas other contemporary consoles do not depend on nearly such a sizable Japanese contribution).

I don't talk about mobile in my post, but I don't really see how its existence has to do with what I am talking about. I'm comparing the relative importance of the Japanese domestic console market to Sony and Nintendo as an attempt to get at a perceived difference in focus on that market by Nintendo and Sony.

If you want my thoughts on Nintendo trying to carve out a space between mobile and stationary console gaming, here they are (from another thread, which was about Switch as a 3DS successor):

What is an anti-Switch handheld: cheaper, smaller, weaker, longer battery, headlined by simpler and expanded audience games, i.e. a handheld that competes with mobile more directly, which is exactly what Nintendo wants to avoid. They can't win that fight in the long run, it'd just be sales down device after device and them slowly acquiescing to stock holders that want them to go full mobile.

They need to shake up their portable market and highlight what it does that mobile doesn't.

The way I see it:

In positioning Switch as a console, Nintendo is trying to force the erasure of the mental divide between stationary and handheld console to position a handheld as distinct from mobile and attractive to core gamers and people who want something less simple on the go.

Part of this is the $60 price point, but I think it also is to proactively draw out the niche Nintendo wants to inhabit (and which the 3DS already does, despite often not being seen that way by stationary fans). They need to provide positive vision for a device between mobile and stationary more than ever now and they are doing that by positioning it as stationary but mobile :p.

Nintendo is focusing on core, Wii U successor Zelda, Mario, and Xenoblade this year alongside a growing suite of multiplayer titles, which would be hard to replicate on mobile, but with which they want to push portable LAN play. It is a push to get stationary audiences to look at the Switch and to get a portable gaming culture going to spread word of mouth and proof of experience.

These multiplayer games also serve to get the foot of expanded audience software in the door, with things like Mario Kart having huge sales potential, beyond that of a 3D Mario or Zelda.

But generally, I think we'll see the expanded audience "DS" type software begin to fill in next year. Partly because the 3DS will be dying down, partly because once they've made the case for the Switch as another mobile device type, they can turn to some of their bigger money makers that don't hit that "I'm a console!" note as hard.

Edit: And that's the other thing--3DS is still alive. They aren't going to prematurely call it dead. That disservices their own software and that of their biggest partners.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It most likely reflects the existence of more impressive Japanese content on dedicated devices.

Now that several publishers have found boutique success for their franchises worldwide, they're able to invest significant amounts of money into development to make higher end games again (relative to what they were doing). Something like Nier Automata would lose money on the domestic audience, but they were able to significantly grow the franchise in Japan by spending global market level budget money on it. We're even seeing games like Ace Combat and Ni No Kuni get greenlit again.

Widely available competent technology also helps with that, since being able to efficiently develop and ship a reasonable looking game effectively is a huge boon to developers.

In Japan, mobile's plateau more so reflects complete market saturation than a waning interest. When you have 20-30% monetization rates and something like a fourth of your country's population all downloading the same game, you eventually run out of room to go up. Japan's population also isn't growing (rather the opposite), so there's not a lot of new people to feed into the system.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It most likely reflects the existence of more impressive Japanese content on dedicated devices.

Now that several publishers have found boutique success for their franchises worldwide, they're able to invest significant amounts of money into development to make higher end games again (relative to what they were doing). Something like Nier Automata would lose money on the domestic audience, but they were able to significantly grow the franchise in Japan by spending global market level budget money on it. We're even seeing games like Ace Combat and Ni No Kuni get greenlit again.

Widely available competent technology also helps with that, since being able to efficiently develop and ship a reasonable looking game effectively is a huge boon to developers.

In Japan, mobile's plateau more so reflects complete market saturation than a waning interest. When you have 20-30% monetization rates and something like a fourth of your country's population all downloading the same game, you eventually run out of room to go up. Japan's population also isn't growing (rather the opposite), so there's not a lot of new people to feed into the system.
I honestly don't think Nier Automata is a good example for this. The turnaround on it seemed fairly quick for such a title and I didn't get the impression it was a particularity large budget affair. It seems almost entirely down to Platinums own efficiency rather than a substantial budget and time increase.

The is absolutely no way SE would have pulled that off by themselves.

I think 2016 was just the lowest point, even software sales were poor (there were a few million sellers in the top10 iirc)

Compared to H1 2016, hw sales are increasing thanks to Switch and solid PS4 (getting rid off Vita) and 3DS (2DS), but sw are down 40%, hope DQ11 and Mario and Splatoon 2 and what else will be released in Q4 will help sales to rise as the hw is doing

casiopao

I think 2016 was just the lowest point, even software sales were poor (there were a few million sellers in the top10 iirc)

Compared to H1 2016, hw sales are increasing thanks to Switch and solid PS4 (getting rid off Vita) and 3DS (2DS), but sw are down 40%, hope DQ11 and Mario and Splatoon 2 and what else will be released in Q4 will help sales to rise as the hw is doing

Pokemon should also help a lot on software number.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Honestly weren't most predictions expecting the PS4 to either be flat or down slightly this year compared to last year by the end? Everything else except the new Switch is definitely going to be down YoY. After DQ11 on PS4, technically there's basically nothing big releasing this year right? 2016's latter half was packed in comparison. The PS4 held up fairly well during the dry spell so far, but we'll see how it does later.

Pokemon should also help a lot on software number.

Didn't mention it cause I was not sure about the release time, so there are some chances that the gap with actual sw sales ( -44%) will be filled.

Last year there were very few million sellers (2-3?), at this point there are already 4, maybe 5, million sellers planned for this year: DQ11 3ds, Splatoon 2, Pokémon Ultra and Mario Odyssey, maybe DQ11 ps4 (I don't give to MHXX switch too many chances)

Regarding PS4 situation I expect a price drop in Q3 or Q4 to contrast Odyssey and Scorpio (the latter for the West market of course)

casiopao

Didn't mention it cause I was not sure about the release time, so there are some chances that the gap with actual sw sales ( -44%) will be filled.

Last year there were very few million sellers (2-3?), at this point there are already 4, maybe 5, million sellers planned for this year: DQ11 3ds, Splatoon 2, Pokémon Ultra and Mario Odyssey, maybe DQ11 ps4 (I don't give to MHXX switch too many chances)

Regarding PS4 situation I expect a price drop in Q3 or Q4 to contrast Odyssey and Scorpio (the latter for the West market of course)

I am interested to see this year software too. The drop would probably be quite soft the closer to the last part of the year.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu Sales: Jun 2017 (May 29 - Jun 25)

01./00. [NSW] Arms <FTG> (Nintendo) {2017.06.16} (¥5.980) - 154.845 / NEW
02./00. [PS4] Tekken 7 <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.06.01} (¥8.200) - 78.484 / NEW
03./01. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 58.652 / 501.614 (-64%)
04./00. [NSW] Seiken Densetsu Collection <Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Adventure \ Seiken Densetsu 2: Secret of Mana \ Seiken Densetsu 3> <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.06.01} (¥4.800) - 41.128 / NEW
05./02. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.03.18} (¥5.800) - 33.881 / 1.640.005 (-45%)

Top 5

NSW - 3
3DS - 1
PS4 - 1

SOFTWARE

Nintendo - 335.000
Bandai Namco Games - 155.000
Square Enix - 127.000

HARDWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System | This Month | Last Month |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|  NSW  |    129.971 |    127.314 |            |  1.016.473 |            |   1.016.473 |
| PS4 # |     92.410 |     82.566 |     81.376 |    877.630 |    716.849 |   4.799.246 |
| 3DS # |     48.815 |     63.417 |     73.141 |    872.620 |    667.907 |  22.784.033 |
| PSV # |     18.268 |     20.596 |     47.430 |    260.296 |    533.008 |   5.507.715 |
|  PS3  |      1.459 |      1.233 |      3.284 |     14.864 |     32.950 |  10.272.583 |
|  WIU  |        680 |      1.056 |     16.584 |     18.977 |    218.215 |   3.298.715 |
| XB1 # |        362 |        368 |        210 |      5.093 |      3.172 |      78.041 |
|  ALL  |    291.965 |    296.550 |    222.025 |  3.065.953 |  2.172.101 |  47.756.806 |
| XB1 S |        362 |        368 |            |        311 |            |       6.039 |
|PS4 Pro|     22.244 |     19.697 |            |    154.821 |            |     271.871 |
|  PS4  |     70.166 |     62.869 |     81.376 |    722.809 |    716.849 |   4.527.375 |
|  PSV  |     18.268 |     20.596 |     47.430 |    260.296 |    533.008 |   5.507.715 |
|  2DS  |     10.602 |     14.816 |            |    215.995 |            |     513.142 |
| n-3DS |     38.213 |     48.601 |     70.814 |    656.625 |    625.032 |   5.350.614 |

casiopao

Oh yeah guys. Whats ur prediction on YW4 number there. With such huge departure, do u see it holding its number or going to continue more the series decline?

duckroll

I honestly don't think Nier Automata is a good example for this. The turnaround on it seemed fairly quick for such a title and I didn't get the impression it was a particularity large budget affair. It seems almost entirely down to Platinums own efficiency rather than a substantial budget and time increase.

The is absolutely no way SE would have pulled that off by themselves.

Drakengard 3 was announced in the same year it was released it. The delay it got in Japan was a mere two months from Oct to Dec for polish. There was almost no marketing for it outside of Japan and it remains a PS3 only title til today.

Nier Automata was announced 2 years before it was released. The development period was well over 2 years, and while it was originally scheduled to be released in 2016, they delayed it to 2017 for polish. It is also a title released not just on PS4 and PC, but also something they worked with Sony on to get Chinese localization for Asian regions on PS4. In addition to this, it's a title that was marketed at several major trade shows from the point of announcement until release.

It's almost impossible to argue that there was definitely a substantial increase in budget, time, and effort for Nier Automata compared to Drakengard 3. Nirolak wasn't saying they are making more big budget games, he is saying that for a big publisher, companies like Square Enix are moving the investment for mid-tier titles up, from wedontgetashit bottom of the barrel efforts to actual efforts in making mid-tier games which aren't embarrassing and can be marketed to a wider audience.

duckroll

The previous DSJ stream was pretty fun, hope it's the same.
Not hoping for any SMT HD/V info sadly.

It does say there's a big announcement for further plans related to the 25th Anniversary of SMT. Doesn't specify that it's for games though, so could be anything from a SMT Concert to a Kaneko Designer Underwear Line.

L~A

So, today Nintendo shared the Top 25 for the first half of 2017 on the Nintendo eShop. Switch and 3DS only (RIP Wii U). Includes retail, download-only, and VC.

Nintendo 3DS - Nintendo eShop

01 - Monster Hunter XX (Capcom) [18.3.2017]
02 - Cube Creator DX (Arc System Works) [27.4.2017]
03 - Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (Nintendo) [20.4.2017]
04 - Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 Professional (Square-Enix) [09.2.2017]
05 - Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo (Nintendo) [23.11.2016]
06 - Terraria (Spike-Chunsoft) [21.4.2016]
07 - Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo) [01.12.2016]
08 - Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse (Atlus) [10.2.2016]
09 - Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! (Nintendo) [22.12.2016]
10 - RPG Maker Fes (Kadokawa) [24.11.2016]
11 - Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) [01.11.2012]
12 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo) [01.11.2012]
13 - Miitopia (Nintendo) [08.12.2016]
14 - Fire Emblem Awakening (Nintendo) [30.1.2013]
15 - Yo-kai Watch 3 Sukiyaki (Level-5) [15.12.2016]
16 - Pokémon Sun (The Pokémon Company) [18.11.2016]
17 - Pokémon Moon (The Pokémon Company) [18.11.2016]
18 - Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World (Nintendo) [19.1.2017]
19 - Tomodachi Life (Nintendo) [18.4.2013]
20 - Pro Yakyuu Famista Climax (Bandai-Namco) [20.4.2017]
21 - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo) [13.9.2014]
22 - Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X (Bandai-Namco) [27.4.2017]
23 - Monster Hunter Generations (Capcom) [28.11.2015]
24 - The Alliance Alive (FuRyu) [22.6.2017]
25 - Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns (Marvelous) [23.6.2016]

> https://www.nintendo.co.jp/software/feature/3ds-ranking.html

Nintendo Switch - Nintendo eShop

01 - Snipperclips: Cut it out, together! (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
02 - Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Mojang) [12.5.2017]
03 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) [28.4.2017]
04 - Kamiko (Flyhigh Works) [13.4.2017]
05 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
06 - ACA NeoGeo Metal Slug 3 (Hamster) [03.3.2017]
07 - ARMS (Nintendo) [16.6.2017]
08 - 1-2-Switch (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
09 - ACA NeoGeo The King of Fighters '98 (Hamster) [03.3.2017]
10 - Othello (Arc System Works) [03.3.2017]
11 - VOEZ (Flyhigh Works) [03.3.2017]
12 - Super Bomberman R (Konami) [03.3.2017]
13 - New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers (Arc System Works) [03.3.2017]
14 - Blaster Master Zero (Inti Creates) [03.3.2017]
15 - ACA NeoGeo Metal Slug (Hamster) [30.3.2017]
16 - Human Resource Machine (Flyhigh Works) [08.6.2017]
17 - Flip Wars (Over Fence) [18.5.2017]
18 - Shovel Knight (Yacht Club Games) [30.5.2017]
19 - Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (Capcom) [26.5.2017]
20 - Unholy Heights (Mebius) [13.4.2017]
21 - Wonder boy: The Dragon's Trap (DotEmu) [18.4.2017]
22 - Seiken Densetsu Collection (Square-Enix) [01.6.2017]
23 - Puyo Puyo Tetris (SEGA) [03.3.2017]
24 - Mighty Gunvolt Burst (Inti Creates) [15.6.2017]
25 - Thumper (Drool) [18.5.2017]

> https://www.nintendo.co.jp/software/feature/switch-ranking.html

D_prOdigy

Snipperclips is a wonderful success story.

Thought Puyo Puyo Tetris would be higher. Still intend for it to be one of my first downloads when I pick up a Switch.

Laplasakos

Nintendo Switch - Nintendo eShop

01 - Snipperclips: Cut it out, together! (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
02 - Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Mojang) [12.5.2017]
03 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) [28.4.2017]
04 - Kamiko (Flyhigh Works) [13.4.2017]
05 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
06 - ACA NeoGeo Metal Slug 3 (Hamster) [03.3.2017]
07 - ARMS (Nintendo) [16.6.2017]
08 - 1-2-Switch (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
09 - ACA NeoGeo The King of Fighters '98 (Hamster) [03.3.2017]
10 - Othello (Arc System Works) [03.3.2017]
11 - VOEZ (Flyhigh Works) [03.3.2017]
12 - Super Bomberman R (Konami) [03.3.2017]
13 - New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers (Arc System Works) [03.3.2017]
14 - Blaster Master Zero (Inti Creates) [03.3.2017]
15 - ACA NeoGeo Metal Slug (Hamster) [30.3.2017]
16 - Human Resource Machine (Flyhigh Works) [08.6.2017]
17 - Flip Wars (Over Fence) [18.5.2017]
18 - Shovel Knight (Yacht Club Games) [30.5.2017]
19 - Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (Capcom) [26.5.2017]
20 - Unholy Heights (Mebius) [13.4.2017]
21 - Wonder boy: The Dragon's Trap (DotEmu) [18.4.2017]
22 - Seiken Densetsu Collection (Square-Enix) [01.6.2017]
23 - Puyo Puyo Tetris (SEGA) [03.3.2017]
24 - Mighty Gunvolt Burst (Inti Creates) [15.6.2017]
25 - Thumper (Drool) [18.5.2017]

> https://www.nintendo.co.jp/software/feature/switch-ranking.html

Dragon Quest Heroes I-II didn't charted? Yikes...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nintendo of Japan just posted on both its website and through the Switch News section the Top 30 Downloads ranking for the first half of 2017 (2017.03.03 - 2017.06.30). Strangely enough, the news on the website shows the Top 25, while on Switch there are 5 more entries
Dat Switch exclusive
. They also posted a similar Top 25 for 3DS, but divided in different cathegories (Retail software/Digital-only/VC)

So...here's the Switch eShop one. Later I'll post all the 3DS ones.

Switch Japanese eShop Top 30 First Half of 2017 {2017.03.03 - 2017.06.30}

01. SnipperClips: Cut it out together! (Nintendo)
02. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Mojang/Microsoft)
03. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo)
04. Kamiko (Circle)
05. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
06. ACA NeoGeo: Metal Slug 3 (Hamster)
07. Arms (Nintendo)
08. 1-2 Switch (Nintendo)
09. ACA NeoGeo: The King of Fighters '98 (Hamster)
10. Othello (Arc System Works)
11. VOEZ (Circle)
12. Super Bomberman R (Konami)
13. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers (Arc Ststem Works)
14. Blaster Master Zero (Inti Creates/ Sunsoft)
15. ACA NeoGeo: Metal Slug (Hamster)
16. Human Resoruce Machine (Tomorrow Corporation)
17. Flip Wars (Over Pence)
18. Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (Yacht Club Games)
19. Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (Capcom)
20. Unholy Heights (Petit Depotto)
21. Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (DotEmu)
22. Seiken Densetsu Collection (Square Enix)
23. Puyo Puyo Tetris (SEGA)
24. Mighty Gunvolt Burst (Inti Creates)
25. Thumpet (Droll LLC)
26. Disgaea 5: Complete (Nippon Ichi Software)
27. Dark Witch Music Episode: Rudymical (Circle)
28. World of Goo (Tomorrow Corporation)
29. Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power-Up kit (Koei Tecmo)
30. ACA NeoGeo: Samurai Showdown IV (Hamster)

Eolz

It does say there's a big announcement for further plans related to the 25th Anniversary of SMT. Doesn't specify that it's for games though, so could be anything from a SMT Concert to a Kaneko Designer Underwear Line.

Expecting the same teaser with 3 more seconds at the end now then :p

Top Bottom