• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 25, 2017 (Jun 19 - Jun 25)

I think if Nintendo is in the 1.5-1.7 million range for the quarter it would be about expected... it would put them at comfortably above 4 million since launch. Hopefully they get up to the 2.5 million for FYQ2 though.

Cuddler

For how pathetic L-5 had been doing all this year, at least they are not as insane as Capcom lol.
Both Yokai and Inazuma Eleven new games would make sense on PS4, since both usually sell the best on southern/central Europe (outside of Japan) and the PS4 is popular over here and would probably be 199€ or less by the times this games are out. If Sony really want to expand their audience they should talk about these games with Level 5. Switch and/or 3DS version are abvious choices.

Loris146

Switch is doing great in France. I think is only behind PS4 launch aligned ( which sold 239k in 40 days IIRC). This comparison is not even fair because of stock issues ( both Switch and PS4 ) and the different launch period.

The demand is still here.

LordKano

Both Yokai and Inazuma Eleven new games would make sense on PS4, since both usually sell the best on southern/central Europe (outside of Japan) and the PS4 is popular over here and would probably be 199€ or less by the times this games are out. If Sony really want to expand their audience they should talk about these games with Level 5. Switch and/or 3DS version are abvious choices.

Problem is that both Yokai Watch and Inazuma Eleven (and most Level-5 output actually, like LBX and so on) are aimed at kids, hence the 3DS focus. I mean, Yokai Watch is basically a Pokémon clone, that's not something you expect to play on PS4, or on any traditional home console. Same goes to Inazuma Eleven. These two games put a lot of focus on local play (trading Yo-Kai for example), even outside of Japan.

It would be a better discussion if we had precise informations on PS4's demographic, but based only on the library, the ads and Sony's focus, I don't think PS4 is really a kids console. That's why something like Megaton Musashi makes sense for PS4. It can aim to old gundam fans from 80-90's.

Fiendcode

I think it only counts retail titles. Special editions and bundles do count as separate games though.

"The number of titles for each system is the number of packaged software."
It's has to be. There's over 600 games on the Japanese Wii U eShop.

casiopao

PS4 is not a good platform for Yokai and Inazuma demographic though. Hell even Switch right now is not suited for L-5 IP as the price is damn steep for children. I would think, them staying on 3ds for probably another year is their biggest plan.

LordKano

The new God Eater was briefly teased at Anime Expo. Still no platforms announced, but the producer mentioned that the serie has seen good sales in the west and this one will release simultaneously worldwide.

Cuddler

Problem is that both Yokai Watch and Inazuma Eleven (and most Level-5 output actually, like LBX and so on) are aimed at kids, hence the 3DS focus. I mean, Yokai Watch is basically a Pokémon clone, that's not something you expect to play on PS4, or on any traditional home console. Same goes to Inazuma Eleven. These two games put a lot of focus on local play (trading Yo-Kai for example), even outside of Japan.

It would be a better discussion if we had precise informations on PS4's demographic, but based only on the library, the ads and Sony's focus, I don't think PS4 is really a kids console. That's why something like Megaton Musashi makes sense for PS4. It can aim to old gundam fans from 80-90's.
I agree with you that right now the focus isn't on the kids for the PS4 marketing, even though I'm pretty sure there are plenty of kids that have a PS4 and play Fifa, etc... but the PS4 should be a console for everyone, the price is getting lower and the software library needs to become more diverse. I can see the barrier on local play to be difficult to pass in these games but an online system could be implemented (not an easy solution but still a solution). Mind you, I think these games could be more important for the PS4 in the European market than in the Japanese market because the level of success of the PS4 in the 2 markets is really different.
PS4 is not a good platform for Yokai and Inazuma demographic though. Hell even Switch right now is not suited for L-5 IP as the price is damn steep for children. I would think, them staying on 3ds for probably another year is their biggest plan.
I wasn't really talking about abandoning the 3DS and/or the Switch in favor of the PS4, I was talking about the fact that a port of a 3DS and/or Swtch game could probably do relatively well and could be important for Sony.

Vena

PS4 hasn't really had any major children/young demo software or software successes (or said better, anything that sells like, say, Minecraft on Vita or any Nintendo broad audience brand or something within even an order of magnitude of relevance of YW). There have been token efforts or third party releases but all with minor end results.

Even DQB, a title with a lot of nostalgia value and about the only mildly unique/strong young demo leaning title wasn't lighting anything on fire and was competing with the Vita release... a console that children actually own.

The coming changes to Minecraft will make the PS4 even more irrelevant to this demographic.

A lot of this comes back to the fact that Sony has struggled this gen to make any internal software for younger demographics. They've tried but one R&C game along with a good awful movie once every three years isn't much of an effort. Maybe Spiderman will hit it off with kids, though, it's a very popular brand with children but the title isn't for kids.

test_account

XP-39C²
The coming changes to Minecraft will make the PS4 even more irrelevant to this demographic.
Switch owners being able to play together with Xbox One owners is going to be huge in Japan.
Other versions will still continue to get updates, still remains to be seen how much the cross play between all the platforms will change things.

Vena

Switch owners being able to play together with Xbox One owners is going to be huge in Japan.
Other versions will still continue to get updates, still remains to be seen how much the cross play will change things.

Phones and Tablets. It's not just the X1 that's involved in this and why Sony are being obstinate idiots.

Also "support" and support are very different things. The PS4 is effectively being relegated to legacy support for Minecraft.

test_account

XP-39C²
Phones and Tablets. It's not just the X1 that's involved in this and why Sony are being obstinate idiots.

Also "support" and support are very different things. The PS4 is effectively being relegated to legacy support for Minecraft.
Sure, i know, i edited that in just before you replied to show that i know its more platforms involved :) Still remains to see how much it will change the popularity on certain platforms.

What do you refer to regarding "legacy support"?

Vena

Sure, i know, i edited that in just before you replied to show that i know its more platforms involved :) Still remains to see how much it will change the popularity on certain platforms.

What do you refer to regarding "legacy support"?

PS4 will follow the old codebase which is itself an offshoot with delays from Java. Java and Bedrock will now run in parallel but Bedrock is effectively a soft relaunch of Minecraft that will utilize the update codebase for new features and upgrades, while Java will run on the older form but with the saving grace (on PC) of major modding scenes. (The old Java code is a hell of a spaghetti code mess anyway. The switch to Bedrock will help clean it up a lot.)

The PS4 will have none of this except slow updates from whatever hits Java, at some point. That's legacy support.

test_account

XP-39C²
PS4 will follow the old codebase which is itself an offshoot with delays from Java. Java and Bedrock will now run in parallel but Bedrock is effectively a soft relaunch of Minecraft that will utilize the update codebase for new features and upgrades, while Java will run on the older form but with the saving grace (on PC) of major modding scenes. (The old Java code is a hell of a spaghetti code mess anyway. The switch to Bedrock will help clean it up a lot.)

The PS4 will have none of this except slow updates from whatever hits Java, at some point. That's legacy support.
I was thinking more regards of what you think of content updates. Thats what really matters, how the versions are being supported further on. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the update brings in terms of content and how things go forward.

Can't wait for Youkai World. Nate is now in his thirties, has a stubble, a buzz cut and comes home from war only to find that the bad Youkai are invading and the only way they can be stopped is by giving the good Youkai military training. Also, his hometown is now a gloomy, depressing shithole.

Sandfox

Can't wait for Youkai World. Nate is now in his thirties, has a stubble, a buzz cut and comes home from war only to find that the bad Youkai are invading and the only way they can be stopped is by giving the good Youkai military training. Also, his hometown is now a gloomy, depressing shithole.

And the watch is now a rifle.

And the watch is now a rifle.

561pbVO.gif

Jigorath

Banned
Sony's Forward Works announced that Everybody's Golf for mobile has over 400.000 pre-registrations. It will be available for iOS and Android next week

http://www.dualshockers.com/playstation-first-mobile-game-everybodys-golf-passes-400000-pre-registrations/

Oh snap, I wonder how this is going to do. Hot Shots used to be super popular but it declined with ailing console market. This is Playstation's first real mobile effort right? That Fate game is massive so expectations have to be pretty high for this stuff.

KtSlime

I think the biggest reveal here is that his name is Nate outside of Japan.

Sounds like a hit.

Keeping FF14 is probably more important to them than Minecraft+

MoonFrog

They are thinking of the safety of all the children playing FF14.

Cotton Mather would be proud. Someone is building that city on a hill and virtue rules somewhere. Rejoice! There is a better future for mankind and it starts with our kids playing on their Playstations online, cocooned safely from the vicious masses on Xbox and Nintendo.

It looks like Kamiya got a Switch now.

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/881055394897854464

Obviously in reference to when people were talking last time about him not getting a Switch at a lottery.

I wonder if he ended up getting this one through a lottery.

KtSlime

Don't know, it looks like Hashimoto got one too.

https://twitter.com/PG_y_hashimoto/status/880231247343009797

Unless he was buying accessories while waiting for one to be available since it says he's waiting for something next month.

That's exactly what he says. His Switch arrives next month.
どんどん周辺機器が増えていく...本体届くの来月だけど。

The peripherals are steadily increasing... but the system arrives next month.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know, it looks like Hashimoto got one too.

https://twitter.com/PG_y_hashimoto/status/880231247343009797

Unless he was buying accessories while waiting for one to be available since it says he's waiting for something next month.

Hmmm. I would like to think PG is making some games for the Switch. If that is case I figured Nintendo would give a Switch to Kamiya. But maybe PG isn't making a game for Nintendo. Or maybe they are and Kamiya is just like us regular consumers. Or maybe I'm just over thinking things.

Mory Dunz

Hmmm. I would like to think PG is making some games for the Switch. If that is case I figured Nintendo would give a Switch to Kamiya. But maybe PG isn't making a game for Nintendo. Or maybe they are and Kamiya is just like us regular consumers. Or maybe I'm just over thinking things.

PG already said they have game(s) in development...

KtSlime

Just because your office gets a development system doesn't mean you can take it home to play Zelda on...

Thanks.

Twitter machine translation is awful, so it gets weird having to interpret things like:

Machine translations of Japanese should be outlawed. That's really bad.

casiopao

Oh snap, I wonder how this is going to do. Hot Shots used to be super popular but it declined with ailing console market. This is Playstation's first real mobile effort right? That Fate game is massive so expectations have to be pretty high for this stuff.

I am interested with this too as Fate GO early life is probably one of the worst launch i had ever see. They are lucky that Fate series had tons of rabid fans supporting the series.

Eolz

Yeah, Kamiya said earlier he could have a Switch from friends at Nintendo, but he wanted to get one the fair way, and that he wanted to buy one since launch.
Guess that their game would be at the next E3.

I wonder if Japan will take notice of the wests emphasis on high budget licensed games. We're seeing Marvel, Disney, Warner Borthers, etc be very aggressive with their IP.

The only japanese game i can think of off the top of my head that looks like it has a decent budget is Dragonball FighterZ. When's the last time Japan had a big budget licensed game?

Seems like a missed opportunity not to have a big Evangelion game or something popular like that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Bandai Namco hosted their Press Start panel today at Anime Expo. Dualshockers was in attendance, and God Eater series producer Yusuke Tomizawa spoke about the next game in the series as well as its sales in the West.

Tomizawa-san opened by thanking fans for “overwhelming acceptance, and big sales,” in regards to the release of God Eater 2: Rage Burst and God Eater Resurrection last year.

A small teaser was shown off at the panel for the next title in the series. Tomizawa-san said that they’re looking to do a simultaneous worldwide release for the new game, encouraging fans to look forward to it. This will be the first time that God Eater is going to be released at the same time both in Japan and in the west.
Source: http://www.dualshockers.com/god-eater-producer-talks-new-game-big-sales-west-series/

Top Bottom