• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2014 (Jun 23 - Jun 29)

KooopaKid

Banned
Nice "stabilization" for Wii U. Mario Kart 8 had an effect. It's probably the same wordwide. Considering home consoles are dead in Japan 10k weekly in not bad nowadays. Lowered expectations lol. Nonetheless Wii U should outsell PS4 easily in 2014 and most of 2015 just as I thought before PS4 launch.

Nice opening for Freedom Wars! I think this is the last big Sony exclusive for Vita? Will this good sales change Sonys opinion of the future of the Vita?

Oreshika 2 is releasing this month. And currently, it's still assumed that Gravity Daze 2 will be coming to Vita. Plus the success of Freedom Wars instantly means that Freedom Wars : Subtitle will be coming next year because that's how 'hunting games' work.

Vita will continue to have a future... in Japan. That's about the best you can expect out of Sony, really. Japanese-developed exclusives, catered to Japanese audience.

Bruno MB

Taiko no Tatsujin Series:

Code:
[PS2] Taiko no Tatsujin: Tatacon de DODON ga DON (Namco) {2002.10.24} - 64.002 / 743.334
[PS2] Taiko no Tatsujin: DOKI! Shinkyoku Darake no Haru Matsuri (Namco) {2003.03.27} - 102.940 / 407.181
[PS2] Taiko no Tatsujin: Appare Sandaime (Namco) {2003.10.30} - 53.995 / 578.993
[PS2] Taiko no Tatsujin: Waku Waku anime Matsuri (Namco) {2003.12.18} - 50.023 / 205.130
[PS2] Taiko no Tatsujin: Atsumare! Matsuri da!! Yondaime (Namco) {2004.07.22} - 30.716 / 156.164
[PS2] Taiko no Tatsujin: Go! Go! Godaime (Namco) {2004.12.09} - 29.381 / 194.840
[PS2] Taiko no Tatsujin: Taiko Drum Master (Namco) {2005.03.17} - 3.203 / 16.054
[PS2] Taiko no Tatsujin: Tobikkiri! Anime Special (Namco) {2005.08.04} - 10.130 / 49.554
[PSP] Taiko no Tatsujin: Portable (Namco) {2005.08.04} - 14.593 / 100.884
[PS2] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wai Wai Happy! Rokudaime (Namco) {2005.12.08} - 14.553 / 98.106
[PSP] Taiko no Tatsujin: Portable 2 (Bandai Namco Games) {2006.09.07} - 14.638 / 233.267
[PS2] Taiko no Tatsujin: DON-KA! to Oomori Nanadaime (Bandai Namco Games) {2006.12.07} - 11.502 / 66.761
[NDS] Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Touch de Dokodon (Bandai Namco Games) {2007.07.26} - 89.158 / 641.229
[NDS] Metcha! Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Nanatsu no Shima no Daibouken (Bandai Namco Games) {2008.04.24} - 60.250 / 693.164
[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Bandai Namco Games) {2008.12.11} - 114.610 / 658.783
[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Do Don to 2 Daime (Bandai Namco Games) {2009.11.19} - 29.349 / 430.096
[NDS] Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Dororon! Yokai Daikessen!! (Bandai Namco Games) {2010.07.01} - 65.214 / 393.279
[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Minna de Party 3 Daime  (Bandai Namco Games) {2010.12.02} - 26.855 / 270.672
[PSP] Taiko no Tatsujin: Portable DX (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.07.14} - 110.242 / 334.865
[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Kettei-Ban (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.11.23} - 25.343 / 332.621
[3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.12} - 63.388 / 548.898
[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Chogouka-Ban (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.29} - 102.437 / 654.842
[WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} - 17.518 / 133.464
[B][3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.26} - 62.247 / NEW[/B]

Source: Famitsu

Shinriji

Oreshika 2 is releasing this month. And currently, it's still assumed that Gravity Daze 2 will be coming to Vita. Plus the success of Freedom Wars instantly means that Freedom Wars : Subtitle will be coming next year because that's how 'hunting games' work.

Vita will continue to have a future... in Japan. That's about the best you can expect out of Sony, really. Japanese-developed exclusives, catered to Japanese audience.

Fine by me.

Epic battle continues.
Code:
		Pikmin 3		MK8
Week 1 HW	20728			19031
Week 2 HW	14024 (-32%)		12576 (-34%)
Week 3 HW	10937 (-22%)		10366 (-18%)
Week 4 HW	 9432 (-14%)		 8373 (-19%)
Week 5 HW	 9291 (-1.5%)		 9010 (+7.6%)
Week 5 HW	10951 (+18%)		    ?
*Superior tracker, other software released following Pikmin's release that makes this an imperfect comparison, it's just for fun.

Freedom Wars opened pretty well.

Meanwhile Ubisoft must be pretty happy with how Watch_Dogs is performing everywhere.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Good numbers for Freedom Wars considering its a new IP. Hope it continues to sell well and that they hurry the hell up with the infrastructure mode if they want to keep that momentum.

Foshy

Not unless more big software releases are planned for Vita.

Of course it's never hitting 10m like the PS3, but I think it'll stick around for a while, living off JP third party support. Depending on Nintendo's hardware for their next handheld, it could share multiplats with it.

sörine

Banned
Warriors Orochi 3
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper was a late port.
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate for PS3/PSV was a late port of a late port
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate for PS4 is a late port of a late port of a late port.
Hyper bombing seemed to signal the end of traditional Musou on Wii U though. PS4's had two traditional Musou bombs now and Omega Force seems to still be going full force in supporting it.

Koei's always seemed to do this with Nintendo and PlayStation systems though. One bomb and Nintendo loses support while bombs don't matter on PS, just keep releasing games until a audience is finally built. Xbox is sort of in between/for the west.

Ratrat

You forgot Phantasy Star Nova.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Do Namco have an exclusive agreement with Nintendo on Taiko no Tatsujin? Haven't seen them on a Sony console since PS2 and the only way I can play now is in an arcade.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Epic battle continues.
Code:
		Pikmin 3		MK8
Week 1 HW	20728			19031
Week 2 HW	14024 (-32%)		12576 (-34%)
Week 3 HW	10937 (-22%)		10366 (-18%)
Week 4 HW	 9432 (-14%)		 8373 (-19%)
Week 5 HW	 9291 (-1.5%)		 9010 (+7.6%)

Freedom Wars opened pretty well.

Meanwhile Ubisoft must be pretty happy with how Watch_Dogs is performing everywhere.

It would be good to post the comparison based on MC data too, just to see the difference between the two trackers XD

PS4 has been doing pretty great in software sales for these PS3/PS4 games.

Also I heard SEGA has a Miku PS4 exclusive. Nice that they are moving on.

What I really need is Valkyria Chronicles 4 SEGA.

mao2

sörine;119222399 said:
Hyper bombing seemed to signal the end of traditional Musou on Wii U though. PS4's had two traditional Musou bombs now and Omega Force seems to still be going full force in supporting it.

Koei's always seemed to do this with Nintendo and PlayStation systems though. One bomb and Nintendo loses support while bombs don't matter on PS, just keep releasing games until a audience is finally built. Xbox is sort of in between/for the west.
Have you forgotten that WiiU is getting an exclusive Zelda Musou/Hyrule Warriors?

You forgot Phantasy Star Nova.

The question seems to imply solely on Sony's first-party support.

As far as 3rd-party Vita support, I've little doubt that it'll continue to sustain itself in Japan at least. Kancolle, Love Live, Danganronpa : AE, PSNova, Toukiden...

Ratrat

The question seems to imply solely on Sony's first-party support.

As far as 3rd-party Vita support, I've little doubt that it'll continue to sustain itself in Japan at least. Kancolle, Love Live, Danganronpa : AE, PSNova, Toukiden...
Ah. Its an odd question then. I dont remember the psp having great first-party support.

PS3 hits 10 million!

mandatory:

l4cdy.gif

saichi

13./00. [WIU] Kamen Rider: Battride War II # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.26} (¥7.689) - 6.936 / NEW
14./00. [PS4] Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.06.26} (¥7.344) - 6.768 / NEW

Woooooow.

SCORE!

Takao

Banned
Good debut for Freedom Wars. Sinobi had SCEJ's goal at 200k (lol).

Do Namco have an exclusive agreement with Nintendo on Taiko no Tatsujin? Haven't seen them on a Sony console since PS2 and the only way I can play now is in an arcade.

There were PSP entries.

A PS4 Taiko would flop and I'm not sure how long PS3 will be around to be worth releasing drums for.

It´s weird that SCEJA bundled everything holiday last year, yet they don´t bundle Vita when big titles release on it this year. Last year they bundled SS outside of holiday season, this year nothing so far.

Girls & Panzer sales are a lot above what I expected. Doesn't look that bad after all for a Vita game without a lot of hype.

PS4 has been doing pretty great in software sales for these PS3/PS4 games.

Also I heard SEGA has a Miku PS4 exclusive. Nice that they are moving on.

What I really need is Valkyria Chronicles 4 SEGA.

Or a Skies Sequel with the HD remake of the original packed in!

Never gonna happen :(

Effect

sörine;119222399 said:

A lot of third parties are like that and it's what makes the damn situation so frustrating. They are completely willing to build an audience for their games on other hardware but if it isn't there from the start on Nintendo systems they wash their hands and don't look back.

Ah. Its an odd question then. I dont remember the psp having great first-party support.

You'd be mistaken.

God of War: Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta
Daxter
Rachet and Clank: Size Matters
Killzone: Liberation
Resistance: Retribution
ATV Offroad Fury Pro
Gran Turismo PSP
LittleBigPlanetPSP
Gangs of London
Kingdom of Paradise
LocoRoco
MediEvil Resurrection
MotorStorm: Arctic Edge
Patapon
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow
Wipeout
Untold Legends: The Warrior's Code + Brotherhood of the Blade

Can't think of all of them but these are some.

Wiiu above ps4. Man Japan is just not into the ps4 yet. That cannot be good.

WiiU has far more compelling exclusives both currently, and in the future pipeline for a Japanese audience compared to PS4.

The reality is that the transition to PS4 development in Japan was clearly not happening in 2014, and that a hardware launch in 2014 is nothing but an attempt to build an initial install base and nothing more. Realistic growth of hardware will probably only happen once there's actually Japanese games every month instead of every 4 months.

Hellraider

A PS4 Taiko would flop and I'm not sure how long PS3 will be around to be worth releasing drums for.

It still blows my mind that last year's Taiko was on the WiiU instead of PS3. That was probably its last chance to get a game.

Vita back to beastmode aww yisss. Sony really need to keep these partnership deals going since they actually seem to be a big part why Vita is somewhat alive in japan. That and they actually publish them overseas even if only digital.

Also no wonder they go all in with these ''MH clones'' since they seem to actually sell.

Bruno MB

The tradition continues:

[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.05.23} - 118.157 / NEW
[PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War II (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.26} - 59.777 / NEW (-49%)

mao2

sörine;119222810 said:
That's why I said traditional Musou (Sangoku, Sengoku, Orochi). Sure Koei will play ball when Nintendo pays for it.
Nintendo's funding Hyrule Warriors. It's a first-party investment.
Ah my bad. Well, the Musou/Warriors series are pretty much synonymous with PlayStation brand so I guess that's the reason why Koei Tecmo choose to keep it that way.

Foshy

You'd be mistaken.

Daxter
ATV Offroad Fury Pro
Gran Turismo PSP
LittleBigPlanetPSP
Gangs of London
Kingdom of Paradise
LocoRoco
MediEvil Resurrection
Patapon
Wipeout

The vast majority of these is geared towards the western market. PSPs success in Japan is pretty much only due to third parties. Same for PS3.

Ratrat

You'd be mistaken.

Daxter
ATV Offroad Fury Pro
Gran Turismo PSP
LittleBigPlanetPSP
Gangs of London
Kingdom of Paradise
LocoRoco
MediEvil Resurrection
Patapon
Wipeout

I see 2 SCEJ games, I also think most of those have analogues on vita, Uncharted, Wipeout, Killzone etc. Their vita efforts are pretty strong imo. Lots of new ip.

RalchAC

I'm OK with that.

sörine;119222399 said:

The difference is pretty obvious. The next gen "late ports" have the Western audience in mind, their fans that have already upgraded. They're releasing them here at the same time as the PS3/Vita version here.

If there are no more WiiU games the problem may be that they haven't sold well either in Japan or the West. Their Japanese audience is on PlayStation and it seems they have a sizable fanbase on Xbox in the West. If they've given up there must be a reason.

There is Hyrule Warriors, if it sells well they may try again to bring some Warriors games on the platform.

zeromcd73

The vast majority of these is geared towards the western market. PSPs success in Japan is pretty much only due to third parties. Same for PS3.

Yep. Only Sony games that sold over 200k in Japan on PSP was Everybody's Golf and Gran Turismo.

Warriors Orochi 3
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper was a late port.
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate for PS3/PSV was a late port of a late port
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate for PS4 is a late port of a late port of a late port.

How can its numbers surprise anybody?
You missed Musou Orochi 2 Special on PSP, so yeah, I can't imagine these numbers were particularly shocking. I'm guessing this port was produced more for the western market than Japan.

Top Bottom