• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2014 (Jun 23 - Jun 29)

Hellraider

I strongly believe Sony should try and give Vita some flavour by releasing a Patapon and a Locoroco game on it. They are ok sellers and feel miles different that the dozens of hunting games.

They probably expect them to flop because of what the install base consists of, but they need to start from somewhere.

Takao

Banned
Vita back to beastmode aww yisss. Sony really need to keep these partnership deals going since they actually seem to be a big part why Vita is somewhat alive in japan. That and they actually publish them overseas even if only digital.

Also no wonder they go all in with these ''MH clones'' since they seem to actually sell.

I don't know what you're referring to as a "partnership deal". SCE owns Freedom Wars outright and while their external projects have helped the platform, SCE hasn't done a lot of Japanese Vita games. For retail it's just been Hot Shots Golf, Gravity Rush (the only internal game), Soul Sacrifce (+ Delta), Freedom Wars and the upcoming launch of OreShika 2.

I think it's time they stop focusing on that genre with Vita. It's not really doing much for hardware as it seems the people that want a non-MH co-operative action game already own a Vita. Either get a proper MH (which they aren't) or move on.

Kandinsky

01./00. [PSV] Freedom Wars <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.06.26} (¥6.264) - 188.888 / NEW
01./00. [PSV] Freedom Wars <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.06.26} (¥6.264) - 187.890 / NEW <80-100%>

Man MH would be huge on this thing.

test_account

XP-39C²
Freedom Wars, second best Vita game opening and selling almost the sales LTD expectation (200k) in the first week. Maybe it even beat that number with digital sales as well.

Probably not as interesting as you'd think.
Seems that Freedom Wars was quite interesting afterall :)

sörine

Banned
The difference is pretty obvious. The next gen "late ports" have the Western audience in mind, their fans that have already upgraded. They're releasing them here at the same time as the PS3/Vita version here.

If there are no more WiiU games the problem may be that they haven't sold well either in Japan or the West. Their Japanese audience is on PlayStation and it seems they have a sizable fanbase on Xbox in the West. If they've given up there must be a reason.

There is Hyrule Warriors, if it sells well they may try again to bring some Warriors games on the platform.
Without western sales figures I'm not really sure it's not a case of platform/audience bias. It could be possible for sure though and I think there's a good assumption there for why Xbox platforms keep getting Musou releases.

It's not limited to PS4/Wii U though. Traditional Musou also bombed on Vita but Koei kept putting out releases until a (tiny) audience was finally built there. And I doubt a compelling case can be made that was for the west.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Ah, nice! Did you already play this? What's the general consensus? Gives me huge Monster Hunter x Evangelion x Attack On Titan vibes (which is always a plus, heh).

look through the OT thats what its there for. :)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Seeing how horrible WO3 PS4 did, I'm wondering how badly Akiba's Trip will sell :lol

I see 2 SCEJ games, I also think most of those have analogues on vita, Uncharted, Wipeout, Killzone etc. Their vita efforts are pretty strong imo. Lots of new ip.

The vast majority of these is geared towards the western market. PSPs success in Japan is pretty much only due to third parties. Same for PS3.

My apologies then, I misjudged the context of the original statement. I had mistaken you for saying that Sony didn't support the PSP in general, not in terms of Japanese geared output.

antibolo

Banned
I think it's VERY good news that the PS4 version of Watch Underscore Dogs has outsold the PS3 version 2-to-1. It proves that the Japanese audience really does want to upgrade to the PS4, they just need to put some more games on the goddamn thing so they actually have a reason to buy one.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Man, this market. The decline is bad, and it's only going to get worse this generation. Mobile has taken over. It makes me wonder if we're in for an even longer generation than the last, assuming the market can even survive that.

I think it's VERY good news that the PS4 version of Watch Underscore Dogs has outsold the PS3 version 2-to-1. It proves that the Japanese audience really does want to upgrade to the PS4, they just need to put some more games on the goddamn thing.

Or it proves that PS4 owners are looking for something to play.

Foshy

I think it's VERY good news that the PS4 version of Watch Underscore Dogs has outsold the PS3 version 2-to-1. It proves that the part of the Japanese audience which is interested in western games really does want to upgrade to the PS4, they just need to put some more games on the goddamn thing.

fixed for accuracy

But yes, I mean, we've seen this with Thief and Wolfenstein too, on a smaller scale. I have no doubt that the japanese CoD/Battlefield/Assassin's Creed audience wants to get on the PS4 train. It's the ones that care for "traditional japanese games" that are going to be harder to convince.

I'm very interested in seeing how the PS4 version of GTA V will perform in Japan. The PS3 version broke 700k, so that series is certainly huge even there.

Ahh yes sakura wars.

It was a good selling series? Why did they stop? I say that but I rather have Valkyria Chronicles.

If I'm not wrong, the franchise was on a downward trend. I don't have numbers, but I remember hearing that sales peaked with SW1/2, and 3/4/5 never managed to hit the highs of the earlier games.

At the end of the day, SW by design, is a highly niche franchise. Majority of the game is basically a visual novel, compounded by a competent and excellent strategy battle system. It's a franchise that lives and dies based on how much the fanbase cares about the characters, and the new characters simply couldn't surpass the original Hanagumi.

Eolz

Meh week as usual.
WiiU stabilizing at 9-10k, lolPS4, Vita falling next week again I guess.

I think it's VERY good news that the PS4 version of Watch Underscore Dogs has outsold the PS3 version 2-to-1. It proves that the Japanese audience really does want to upgrade to the PS4, they just need to put some more games on the goddamn thing so they actually have a reason to buy one.

Yakuza Ishin

PS3 - 238k
PS4 - 115k

MGS GZ

PS3 - 241k
PS4 - 140k

Western titles heavily favour PS4 and its doing good on Japanese titles as well. The lack of games is the primary reason for its sales. Hopefully things pick up next year in terms of release schedule.

I strongly believe Sony should try and give Vita some flavour by releasing a Patapon and a Locoroco game on it. They are ok sellers and feel miles different that the dozens of hunting games.

They probably expect them to flop because of what the install base consists of, but they need to start from somewhere.

It's especially weird to me because what I've seen of LocoRoco's gameplay BEGS for a Vita version. But maybe Sony thinks they've run the well dry on both franchises.

Epic battle continues.
Code:
		Pikmin 3		MK8
Week 1 HW	20728			19031
Week 2 HW	14024 (-32%)		12576 (-34%)
Week 3 HW	10937 (-22%)		10366 (-18%)
Week 4 HW	 9432 (-14%)		 8373 (-19%)
Week 5 HW	 9291 (-1.5%)		 9010 (+7.6%)
Week 5 HW	10951 (+18%)		    ?
*Superior tracker, other software released following Pikmin's release that makes this an imperfect comparison, it's just for fun.

It would be good to post the comparison based on MC data too, just to see the difference between the two trackers XD

13./00. [WIU] Kamen Rider: Battride War II # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.26} (¥7.689) - 6.936 / NEW
14./00. [PS4] Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.06.26} (¥7.344) - 6.768 / NEW

Woooooow.

Sure, let's do this for software, too.

12./00. [PS4] Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.06.26} (¥7.344) - 7.129 / NEW <20-40%>
13./00. [WIU] Kamen Rider: Battride War II # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.26} (¥7.689) - 6.827 / NEW <40-60%>

anderedna

Wow never thought Sony published games will be on top. Gratz to the team.
See, you guys could sell a lot if you make them, so keep on releasing games on your console Sony.

BTW, PS4 back to be the 4th best selling console again in this week?

See, you guys could sell a lot if you make them, so keep on releasing games on your console Sony.

4th? I don't think yuo should put much weight in such rankings.

PS3, PS4 and WiiU are all doing badly with their 6-9k sales.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Seems WiiU's base is 10k then

I'm not sure if this post is sarcastic or real, what am I looking at folks?

TheChaos0

My sacrasm-o&#8722;meter reads 0. Unless you are referring to the PS4 part of the post. ;)

Great opening for Freedom Wars, what a sell through. I don't see Oreshika doing as good enough but I hope it can open above 100k...

It shows that the audience in Japan who are interested in western games are on the PS4, but that's a pretty small audience overall. I don't think it really says anything about the audience as a whole having any interest in the PS4.

MH would be huge even on WonderSwan :-D

PORTABLE 4th on Vita announced Summer 2015

2014-06-08

anderedna

4th? I don't think yuo should put much weight in such rankings.

PS3, PS4 and WiiU are all doing badly with their 6-9k sales.

Well I meant something similar to this. I remembered some weeks ago PS4 changed it's position with PS3 but the difference was just a few units or so.

It's a joke pose.

Top Bottom