• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2013 (Jul 08 - Jul 14)

That's too much of a generalization. It's a combination of at least four things: 1) people who are interested in the game already own the console, 2) people who are interested, but think that Wii U is too expensive, 3) people who are interested but don't want to buy a console for just a single game or two, 4) a combination of 3) and 4).

Of course, there is also a fifth group that just doesn't care about Pikmin.

In the end, hardware sales are still bad, What is the next big game for the Wii U? There's small stuff like W101 coming up, but until Mario 3D World or maybe DK there seems to be... pretty much nothing?
fair enough.. I was just consindering the people who are willing to pay the current console price on the market.

GRW810

So... Wii U is performing better at this point than PS3 was? Am I reading that right?

And Nintendo are doomed, they say.

Not attention on Pikmin 3. Fabulous effort, number one. A Pikmin title, a Wii U game, at number one.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The problem isn't that Pikmin is a game that shouldn't have been made. The problem is that Pikmin is a B-tier game that should have come out earlier this year in between Mario Kart and some other big release. Pikmin is a great "filler" title, but there's no way that it can carry a console that hasn't seen a game released this year. And no, Game & Wario doesn't count.

The power of the fan translation!

Actually, the anime just started airing two or three weeks ago.
ibpPQQA1x0zulh.gif

Shantom

I mean, Pikmin 2 sold close to 200k when it was released on 2004 but by then
the GC had a way bigger installed userbase on the market.
This is the problem though, the Wii U is comparing poorly to even the Gamecube. How is anything supposed to sell if there are no consoles out there?

DaBoss

This just made me realize that The last of us will probably sell more than Pikmin 3 in Japan of all places.

Freaky

Highly unlikely:

The original Pikmin's sales.

Somnid

I hope pikmin does better in the west. Fucking wiiu better not kill this series. Now I dred to see 101's sales. Poor platinum.

150k minimum.

Wii U makes it what it is. But if it makes you feel better being a Nintendo games it's not subject to the same sort of front-loadedness. You may want to hope that other games continue to push the platform.

plank

So... Wii U is performing better at this point than PS3 was? Am I reading that right?

And Nintendo are doomed, they say.

Not attention on Pikmin 3. Fabulous effort, number one. A Pikmin title, a Wii U game, at number one.

Nintendo is doomed so no...,

chadboban

You should probably cross out The Wonderful 101 now because despite the fact that I think it looks amazing, Platinum games aren't exactly known for selling well, especially considering that the Wii U is selling as bad as it is right now, I'll honestly be surprised if it even hits 40k.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I've always said that NoE and NoA should have had their own dev teams established by now. They could have chipped in at these times with IPs of their own.

While I think that would have helped, I still feel it's incredibly hard for one company to provide anywhere near the game volume that the entire third party publishing community can.

Like the XB1 and PS4 aren't coming out with especially impressive first party line-ups, but at least they have tons of third parties lined up on day one and beyond.

To say Nintendo is playing the software side safe is perhaps the understatement of the year. They are pushing all of these games that come with huge sales on the Wii and that base that bought those games to my estimation has moved on to other things. People at Nintendo and even here are under the impression that games like Wii U Sports and Wii U Fit will catapult the system and I see those games having a Brain Age 3DS style flop. Not only is their lineup safe they are not creating convincing reasons for needing the Gamepad, which compounds the problem of desirability the Wii U already has.

I can't help but feel banking on the tablet screen was not a good idea when almost everyone has a touch device already.

With the DS it was still a new concept, and the DS also already had the new concept of using two screens. With the Wii, motion control was pretty much unexplored in games.

Today however, hundreds of millions of game capable touch devices are sold into the market every year, and it would be hard to find people who would want a Nintendo home console who have never owned a DS and/or 3DS and thus haven't experienced multi-screen gaming. It's kind of hard to play up as a unique selling point even if the implementation is somewhat different.

Vinnk

Highly unlikely:

The original Pikmin's sales.

But was the Gamecube as Nintendoomed?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The problem isn't that Pikmin is a game that shouldn't have been made. The problem is that Pikmin is a B-tier game that should have come out earlier this year in between Mario Kart and some other big release. Pikmin is a great "filler" title, but there's no way that it can carry a console that hasn't seen a game released this year. And no, Game & Wario doesn't count.

Good point. As a February or March release to continue launch momentum, it was a good title.

To spur on a system that has been without software or advertising for months....clearly not.

Nibel

GTFO

I don't want to live in a world where mainstream-orientated million-sellers are the only games that I can play; everybody knew that Pikmin 3 wouldn't be the big system seller that brings Wii U back on the map, but it still sold a solid amount of copies and will continue doing so for some weeks

If 3DWorld doesn't manage to push hardware sales, then the Wii U is probably done in Japan

Hanmik

Only the biggest Pokémon site in existence, guy probably makes $200k+ a year, and pisses off Nintendo by playing ROMs of unreleased games and spoiling everything for everyone.
lol

lol.. ok then.,. I know nothing about Pokémon -- kudos to him then.. but again, if it wasnt for Nintendo, he wouldn´t be able to have a site like that. Pokémon and Nintendo seem to be match made in heaven.;o)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
On a worldwide basis, I'd expect a similar bump, yes.

While I appreciate your effort and think all consoles should be region free, players who don't buy a console they really want just because it's region locked must have had a hard time from NES/Master System up to the GCN/PS2/Xbox era.

crinale

Good point. As a February or March release to continue launch momentum, it was a good title.

To spur on a system that has been without software or advertising for months....clearly not.

But I think they were going to release it around that time (that "launch window" thing, you know).
Obviously they have underestimated the dev time.

The thing is if40k had bought the system it would have show a good amount of people not in the core base that was interested in more than nsmbu. Now it just seems like anything outside of one of their top ip is just appealing to the base

I would be shiocked if nintendo shipped more than 500k in the last quarter
I'll actually be quite surprised if they can top last quarter's shipment of 390K.

April-June has been even slower, there's still likely a lot of launch units sitting on shelves and in retailer warehouses, retailer confidence is likely very very low.

Fularu

Banned
Pikmin sales are mediocre. Wiiu sales are shit for all that came out this week.
Pikmin sales are in line with previous entries on GC as far as first week sales go. I don't see how that can be considered "mediocre" as far as the franchise is concerned in Japan

Foshy

who are you then..? your profile links to this Pokemon ehh sorry Pokémon site.. http://www.serebii.net/

I think he refers to this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407864 Let's get back on topic though.

Using Famitsu numbers:

Pikmin 1 first week: 101,299 (GC install base 242,429)
Pikmin 2 first week: 161,930 (GC install base 3,297,975)
Pikmin 3 first week: 102,188 (Wii U install base 982,801)

Not sure what to make out of this. Did they wait too long to release the sequel?

Daedardus

lol.. ok then.,. I know nothing about Pokémon -- kudos to him then.. but again, if it wasnt for Nintendo, he wouldn´t be able to have a site like that. Pokémon and Nintendo seem to be match made in heaven.;o)

Thing is that Pokémon and that site keep each other in existence. Pokémon wouldn't be as big as it is now without sites leaking out stuff.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
GTFO

I don't want to live in a world where mainstream-orientated million-sellers are the only games that I can play; everybody knew that Pikmin 3 wouldn't be the big system seller that brings Wii U back on the map, but it still sold a solid amount of copies and will continue doing so for some weeks

If 3DWorld doesn't manage to push hardware sales, then the Wii U is probably done in Japan

I think the double negative is tripping you up.

Code:
06./02. [PSV] Toukiden # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥6.090) - 20.853 / 186.963 (-52%)
07./03. [PSP] Toukiden <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥5.040) - 19.262 / 118.404 (-42%)

300k total - really amazing and in few more weeks it will probably claim top selling Vita game spot.

I think in a vacuum, 22K is a perfectly acceptable number this week.

The problem is that Wii U has so few major game releases (or even any game releases whatsoever) that this 22K is not going to be followed up by another 22K in two weeks and another one a few weeks later. We'll only see it about once a month through January, and then what? A return to sub-10K until next holiday?

darkwing

The problem is that Wii U has so few major game releases (or even any game releases whatsoever) that this 22K is not going to be followed up by another 22K in two weeks and another one a few weeks later. We'll only see it about once a month through January, and then what? A return to sub-10K until next holiday?

you forgot Wonderful 101

Pikmin sales are in line with previous entries on GC as far as first week sales go. I don't see how that can be considered "mediocre" as far as the franchise is concerned in Japan

True, although the pessimist in me is not expecting the same legs. I'll watch it over the next few weeks though.

Pikmin 2 first week: 161,930 (GC install base 1,372,517)

Wait gc sales were that bad in 2004?

Calamari41

41 > 38
GTFO

GTFO? Look at the sales chart. I love Pikmin, but it is the definition of B-tier. This is a thread about sales, not about what kind of games we like to play.

Edit: it looks like you misunderstood what I was saying because of the admittedly sloppy double negative. I am saying that Pikmin should have been made in response to someone earlier saying that it shouldn't have been made. I am taking the blame away from Pikmin, and instead laying the blame on the fact that there aren't "million seller" blockbusters out for the system as well.

Pikmin is a game you buy when you have a Wii U, not a game you go out and stand in line to buy a Wii U for.

Scum

While I think that would have helped, I still feel it's incredibly hard for one company to provide anywhere near the game volume that the entire third party publishing community can.

Like the XB1 and PS4 aren't coming out with especially impressive first party line-ups, but at least they have tons of third parties lined up on day one and beyond.

There's no denying the difficulty, but NoE and NoA chipping in will be a damn sight better than just NCL doing it all own their own at the moment. Besides, I say this only because by Nov. and after Ubi releases their games for the console, that'd be it for third party support.

knkng

On a worldwide basis, I'd expect a similar bump, yes.

You can't be serious. On the basis of Pikmin 3? The game will be out in every other region within the next couple weeks. I'm not against the whole region free campaign, but aside from Vinnk I think most other people can keep it in their pants for another week or two in regards to Pikmin.

Vinnk

I think he refers to this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407864 Let's get back on topic though.

Using Famitsu numbers:

Pikmin 1 first week: 101,299 (GC install base 242,429)
Pikmin 2 first week: 161,930 (GC install base 1,372,517)
Pikmin 3 first week: 102,188 (Wii U install base 982,801)

Not sure what to make out of this. Did they wait too long to release the sequel?

For me it reads: "Pikmin 3 should have been a launch title"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yes, it was before, too. Pikmin 3 saving the Wii U was always out of question, even the optimistic 40k predictions wouldn't have saved the Wii U.

Yes, I didn't mean that in the sense of Pikmin as the Wii U's savior, but rather that it was a bigger title that wasn't one of Nintendo's main franchises and didn't have that much of a bump.

While TW101 is probably going to have nigh zero impact, the question of if Bayonetta 2 or X could do much for hardware was a question on the floor. I personally don't expect much out of them given their relative status, but Pikmin failing to move units kind of lowers my estimation more.

That said, I guess they do have less overlap with the NSMB U audience than Pikmin in theory.

Bit early to say, I'm expecting big things announced next week. #wiiuambassador

olimpia84

Fairly good week for Wii U and Pikmin regardless of what people here say. The problem is the system will very likely drop to 10K or even below so it's back to the usual horrendous sales. The lack of software is killing the system.

Code:
06./02. [PSV] Toukiden # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥6.090) - 20.853 / 186.963 (-52%)
07./03. [PSP] Toukiden <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥5.040) - 19.262 / 118.404 (-42%)

300k total - really amazing and in few more weeks it will probably claim top selling Vita game spot.

What's the top selling Vita game so far?

Top Bottom