• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2017 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Depends on if MHW damages the brand in Japan at all and when the hypothetical MH Switch releases.
I doubt it'll change the brand image. If it underperforms their unrealistic expectations, they may fall pack to their portable audience again like what happened after Tri, but at least they would have created a bunch of high quality assets to milk for the next half-decade or so.

Fularu

Banned
Why are people acting surprised at Capcom's bullish predictions? They almost always underperform (and significantly so).

Besides USF2 when was the last time a Capcom game exceeded expectations/projections?

BadWolf

Why are people acting surprised at Capcom's bullish predictions? They almost always underperform (and significantly so).

Besides USF2 when was the last time a Capcom game exceeded expectations/projections?

DMC4SE maybe?

Remember them mentioning it doing really well for them.

Because their MHW prediction is gonna be a few million short not a few 100k short like they normally are.

Fularu

Banned

MH4/U too I believe.

They are actually conservative with their MH forecasts.
I believe those failed to meet the original expectations (x million units in the first month).

While they did reach them in the end, it wasn't in the projected timeframe.

MHXX even more so (it barely reached the march projections as it is right now).

Watch Capcom project 1.5 million sales from the RE:R double pack on switch .p

Zedark

I believe those failed to meet the original expectations (x million units in the first month).

Their predictions for the RE rereleases on PS4/XB1 are below 1 million, right? Doubt they would expect this much for Switch games.

L~A

Ultra Street Fighter II is still full priced and Famitsu estimated initial shipment is far lower from 100k. Either digital is super high or that number doesn't include only Japan.

Now that you mention it, the Japanese version has Chinese language, so it was indeed released in Asia (not sure which countries the Switch is available in atm).

Forecast for MH4 was unbelievably low, they reached it in less than a month instead of by the end of March.

Alrus

This is wrong. The only MH that missed on their forecast was MH XX.

Damn, you guys need to be clearer with your sarcasm, I almost fell for it ;)

About USFII, I also find that 100k for Japan really suspicious. Nintendo eShop sales don't seem to have been enough.

Ultra Street Fighter II is still full priced and Famitsu estimated initial shipment is far lower from 100k. Either digital is super high or that number doesn't include only Japan.
Perhaps they simply.... Rounded up. 😎

Branduil

I don't think most people are surprised as much as they are amused.

Those worldwide numbers gonna get MH:W there for sure. Series was held back by handhelds after all.

As a side note, how the fuck is Capcom gonna get anywhere close to that forecast?

mclem

Problem with Xenoblade 2 isn't just the character designs, it also doesn't look anywhere near as ambitious as its predecessors.

Xenoblade 1 wowed people with these wonderful vistas and a kind of open and huge world that we've rarely - if ever - seen in an JRPG before. Xenoblade X went even crazier and introduced things like a full open world and giant mechs.

Xenoblade 2 in comparison doesn't seem very exciting. It's missing the additions of X and goes straight back to Xenoblade's style. But this kind of game isn't as unique anymore as it was in 2010 -- and so far Xenoblade 2 isn't really showing any ambitious ideas of its own. It just seems to be more of the same.

A weird thing is that I don't feel we've been sold 'the world', yet; the trailers we've seen haven't had lots of the sprawling vistas we've come to associate with the series. I'm hoping a later trailer will focus on that.

Eolz

What if Sony is bundling the game with PS4's in the west?

This could help propel the brand worldwide

They could, but I don't really see that happening (just like they didn't bother pushing Nioh, demon's souls and other hardcore JP exclusives in the west not on vita).

And if they do, why would your regular player buy it instead of a fifa/gta/horizon/etc bundle?
Nintendo made it work by tying it to the release of new hardware (MH4U) or limited ones (MH3U/MHG), on top of some big marketing. If Sony doesn't bother doing the same, it certainly won't expand past the existing million players in the west.

What if Sony is bundling the game with PS4's in the west?

This could help propel the brand worldwide

MH:W may very well sell 5 milliin units. But not in less than 3 months. That forecast is fucking insanity.

Capcom has to have some other software out there because I am failing to ses how they can sell 10.3 million units unless every sku they release over performs.

Unless Capcom has some big unannounced title or several notable ports up their sleeve, I don't see them getting near their target at all.

Oemenia

Banned
MH:W may very well sell 5 milliin units. But not in less than 3 months. That forecast is fucking insanity.

Capcom has to have some other software out there because I am failing to ses how they can sell 10.3 million units unless every sku they release over performs.
Does everyone want it to fail this bad?

MH peaked on the PSP, the sales never reach that high again.

Fularu

Banned

In Japan yes, Worldwide the 3DS entries sold more (but then again Capcom never bothered with Portable 3rd in the west since sales were anemic at the time).

MH exists in the west solely on the back of Nintendo's involvement.

The only reason I am mentioning MH:W is because it is their only hope of reaching that forecast. Not because I want it to fail. The game has to be releasing early Feb I suppose. Maybe even late January.

Infinite is going to be interesting. The hype looks kinda meh.

And yeah, we are all kind of baffled by the forecast. Something is up there. Capcom is delusional but that looks like fantasy.

Mr Swine

Banned
I doubt it'll change the brand image. If it underperforms their unrealistic expectations, they may fall pack to their portable audience again like what happened after Tri, but at least they would have created a bunch of high quality assets to milk for the next half-decade or so.

But Switch cannot handle what Monhun World is doing. So whatever Capcom will do is that they will either

A. Keep on making Monhun games for consoles and PC since they have the assets done

B. Create a port of Monhun World for Switch and rework the assets since it is not as powerful as a PS4/Xbone

C. Create both A and B and hope for the best

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
But Switch cannot handle what Monhun World is doing. So whatever Capcom will do is that they will either

A. Keep on making Monhun games for consoles and PC since they have the assets done

B. Create a port of Monhun World for Switch and rework the assets since it is not as powerful as a PS4/Xbone

That's what I meant when I said milk the assets. I don't think MHW will be the last MH game on PS4, just that they'll reuse their assets and hold on to gen 5 for as long as possible. They'd be mad not to release another portable entry because that's their main userbase. If a portable MH title wasn't coming they would risk shrinking their userbase.

The only smart decision for Capcom is both unless MHW somehow bombs, which is unlikely.

Eolz

Don't want to derail the topic, but already talked about in other threads, there's nothing shown that the switch couldn't handle. It's not pushing tons of polygons, textures are decent, engine is another MT Framework branch, etc. Tone down shadows and resolution and it shouldn't be too hard to port it.

Seriously it sounds from some people on this forum that the Switch is barely more powerful than a Vita and that MHW is the new Horizon. I know that the jump from MHX is huge, but come on now.

lyrick

'B' is basically what they did with Portable 3rd. They took parts of Tri and parts of Freedom Unite and combined what they could get working on the PSP to create something for the fanbase that was without a release for almost 4 years.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Are you confusing Switch and 3DS, maybe?
Btw, we already know from reliable sources that they will continue the "Gen" sub-series on Switch. So I go with option "D"

Alrus

I was going to say that the PC version of MHW could provide good growth but then I remember that it's not even certain that it's coming this FY.

Btw, we already know from reliable sources that they will continue the "Gen" sub-series on Switch. So I go with option "D"

Reliable sources?

Fularu

Banned

Everything shown about MHW can be done on the Switch.

Where do people get the notion that the Switch can't handle this game? It's very surprising

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I would say the bigger hurdle for World on Switch is its not conducive to the GaaS model I presume they are using.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I was going to say that the PC version of MHW could provide good growth but then I remember that it's not even certain that it's coming this FY.

Reliable sources?
Yeah, there's pretty much no way the PC launch is included in this fiscal year.

By sources, I assume they mean MatrixMan?

ksamedi

I dont think monsrer hunter portable would make sense anymore. Atleast, I dont think exclusive to Switch makes sense. A theoretical next numbered monster hunter should be both for Switch and PS4. The people who want it on handheld will buy it on Switch anyway, so a divide in userbase will not happen. It would be even better with cross play online. I think Monster Hunter world is a smart move. The only thing not smart about it is leaving out the Switch but that should be remedied with the next release.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Reliable sources?

both the rumors that anticipated MHXX (3DS) name, MH "western focused" on PS4 and MHXX Switch port and MatrixMan heavily hinted/pointed to a portable sub-series continuation on Switch.

I would say the bigger hurdle for World on Switch is its not conducive to the GaaS model I presume they are using.

Aren't Splatoon and ARMS basically GaaS products? The main difference is that those are free. But nothing prevents the Switch to see games with that "business model".

By sources, I assume they mean MatrixMan?

yes, and the original rumor

Oemenia

Banned
In Japan yes, Worldwide the 3DS entries sold more (but then again Capcom never bothered with Portable 3rd in the west since sales were anemic at the time).

MH exists in the west solely on the back of Nintendo's involvement.
Guess it was perfect timing to jump ship.
They are trying to create the brand in Western minds.

Splitting the userbase would be disaster.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Guess it was perfect timing to jump ship.
They are trying to create the brand in Western minds.

Splitting the userbase would be disaster.

yes, like MHP3rd and MHTri, right?
the best selling portable episode and the best selling home episode so far.

This. The only game that I see people hang their hat on is snake pass.....

Like Snake Pass?
Edit: forgot that indies don't count because reasons.

LOL

(as if BotW hasn't shown similar possibilites to what MHW has shown so far)

A weird thing is that I don't feel we've been sold 'the world', yet; the trailers we've seen haven't had lots of the sprawling vistas we've come to associate with the series. I'm hoping a later trailer will focus on that.

It's funny, the only areas we've seen in pretty much any capacity is just the starting one (which admittedly look pretty neat with the Girrafe Backdrop). The area design looks about as strong as you would expect moving from XCX into a new starting area with dense and deliberate enemy placement (with some decent variety) and many moving animals on screen to help convey liveliness. And the Town seems to have multiple levels to it and seems about as interesting as a section of NLA. But really we haven't seen squat from anything else. Monolith Soft are some of the most creative world designers in the whole industry and their capacity to convey something awe inspiring on a budget shouldn't be underestimated but it's concerning how little we've seen and how the release is creeping up.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This. I don't understand why one would think that. What technically is at play in GaaS that the Switch couldn't handle?

I was thinking more A- the userbase isn't conditioned on that type of model (ARMS/Splatoon both free) B- lack of storage space for downloadable content, C- not always online.

I'm not saying it can't work, it just doesn't seem like a proven model like on the other systems.

Top Bottom