• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2017 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It was an arguement that was used some times back in the days. Its more to games than just graphics.

I agree with Gotdatmoney, we need a big demanding title on the Switch to really prove/kill this arguement.
I have a feeling it's gonna all depend on Metroid prime 4

sense

I think the most obvious test would be if someone announces a port of a demanding PS4/XB1 only open world game, and whether or not they highly modified it to work on the platform.

That would do a good job of showing someone who had an intent to port this type of product to Switch, and then whether or not they had to make core game design changes to accommodate the port.

Cross gen games, limited scope shooters, or mid-tier Japanese games are not going shape opinion on that front.

This is what switch fans need before they go around questioning publishers why they aren't bringing games to the platform. I am sure if someone tries hard enough they can get any game running on the switch, the problem is how much time, money and sacrifices to the core game design need to be made to bring it to the platform. It is crazy that people keep bringing up snake pass to support their argument and this has nothing to with it being indie. While it may have been technically demanding, it isn't a complicated game where a lot of variables could affect performance. If it is as simple as downgrading an xb1 game, lowering some bells and whistles, then I am sure publishers would have no problem putting ports on switch. I think there is more to it than just that.

Under 2m combined would be...not great for a Dragon Quest game. Especially one that offers a unique experience on two different platforms.

Vena

Mm maybe..?

2mil is a big number, its a good PR number.

So it not being said, would make me believe (but obviously not necessarily true) that the title didn't achieve 2mil in the launch week between the two platforms. In this case, unlike Splatoon, there's not even a hardware limit/shortage shortcoming to peg for a more subdued PR.

foxuzamaki

This is what switch fans need before they go around questioning publishers why they aren't bringing games to the platform. I am sure if someone tries hard enough they can get any game running on the switch, the problem is how much time, money and sacrifices to the core game design need to be made to bring it to the platform. It is crazy that people keep bringing up snake pass to support their argument and this has nothing to with it being indie. While it may have been technically demanding, it isn't a complicated game where a lot of variables could affect performance. If it is as simple as downgrading an xb1 game, lowering some bells and whistles, then I am sure publishers would have no problem putting ports on switch. I think there is more to it than just that.
I very much dont think they would need to change much of the core game design for switch, you could argue that with the wii but even then there were games that we 3rd still ported verbatim to wii like call of duty

Aters

No offense but you're implying that porting 360 games to the Wii would be easier than porting PS4 games to the Switch. It's not us being unreasonable here. This is flat out insanity on your end.

Yet still you got CoD on Wii, and on Switch you got.....Snake Pass?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Yeah you finally convinced me
Wii to 360 gap.was way thinner than switch to xbone gap

I wonder if DQXI will be an 8 bit version developed by Sumo Digital

foxuzamaki

What are you trying to say here, this is a little confusing, Activision would certainly have a hell of a easier time porting CoD WWII then the ones on wii

ksamedi

I very much dont think they would need to change much of the core game design for switch, you could argue that with the wii but even then there were games that we 3rd still ported verbatim to wii like call of duty

It really depends on the game. Something like Destiny 2 or For Honor would definitely not work without significant changes. Something like Resident evil 7 would probably be much easier. But yeah, enough effort can put any game on Switch, but you have to ask if its worth the investment. People buy games like Destiny because they are so mbitious in scope. A portable version does make a strong case but one publisher needs to show it can sell before the others jump in.

I'm adding an interesting bit from the other thread. Big growth year on year in China, with Sony being more and more active on this market with hardware bundles and games localizations, like we saw with the recent ChinaJoy conference. Japan is also up +21,2% for april-june 2017. I do wonder how those sales works though, because why would Sony made more money from Japan than US and Europe ? I suppose the sales of hardware are accounted there of something like that.

aiAJTeI.png

only 5 of 60mln PS4 sold until now are from Japan, how it is possible that Sony got more from Japan than from the west ??

they include Fate GO ? :D

Reki

The Wii had a massive userbase.

The argument is not that it's easy to port from PS4 to Switch; it's that it's easier than porting from PS3 to Wii given the specs differences and engine support.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
2mil is a big number, its a good PR number.

So it not being said, would make me believe (but obviously not necessarily true) that the title didn't achieve 2mil in the launch week between the two platforms. In this case, unlike Splatoon, there's not even a hardware limit/shortage shortcoming to peg for a more subdued PR.

Well, it's also true that in just a few hours we'll get Famitsu numbers for both versions, including hardware sales, unless something incredibly strange happens. We won't have to wait too long.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ōkami;245137396 said:
DQIX PR came out on wednesday noon, and that game shipped 3m first week, settle down.

Do you mean by Famitsu or by Square-Enix directly? Just for curiosity's sake.

Vena

Ōkami;245137396 said:
DQIX PR came out on wednesday noon, and that game shipped 3m first week, settle down.

I mean, I was just noting. I am not really unsettled and even highlighted that I could just be entirely off-beat, lol.

That's your best argument? Lord have mercy. The fact thry went through porting CoD to the Wii shows that where therr is a will there is a way. It doesn't show that the gap between the Wii and PS3 was not substantially larger then the PS4 amd Switch.

I'm not the one arguing Switch is magic. Like I said, a technically demanding gen 8 game needs a Switch port before you are gonna convert people. But that isn't the argument you are making here. The argument you are making is dumb.

oh my god

The argument it's not that it's easy to port from PS4 to Switch; it's that it's easier than porting from PS3 to Wii given the specs differences and engine support.

Bingo. No one thinks you can simply flip a switch (har har) and a great PS4/XB1 port will come out. Those pretending that's what people are arguing about are speaking in bad faith, which isn't surprising.

My guess is that most third parties won't bother to port things over, but some will, as long as the system continues to sell well.

M3d10n

CoD was ported to the Wii because Activision wanted into that massive userbase, not because it was easy. On the contrary, it was an expensive gamble since porting 360 games to the Wii required major code rewrites: multi-code to single-core, shader-based pipelines to fixed function, 512MBs of RAM to 80MBs. The Wii was an entire hardware generation behind the 360 and you'll have trouble building a list of "direct" PS360 to Wii ports outside of the COD games.

The Wii COD ports more like the arcade->console ports of the 16-bit days: borderline "clones" made using the original game as asset, design and code reference.

If/when big third parties decide the Switch userbase is large enough to warrant their attention, they'll have a much easier time.

M3d10n

That's your best argument? Lord have mercy. The fact thry went through porting CoD to the Wii shows that where therr is a will there is a way. It doesn't show that the gap between the Wii and PS3 was not substantially larger then the PS4 amd Switch.

I'm not the one arguing Switch is magic. Like I said, a technically demanding gen 8 game needs a Switch port before you are gonna convert people. But that isn't the argument you are making here. The argument you are making is dumb.

Didn't the Rocket League devs say they decided to port to the Switch after seeing it could handle Mario Kart 8 as well as it did? They weren't even sure the system could handle their game before they saw evidence of it.

I guess Nintendo will have to do like Microsoft does with their Surface line and make more "hero" games to entice 3rd parties.

Oemenia

Banned

Don't forget the indie games, those count too.

Bruno MB

PREDICTION LEAGUE AUGUST 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jul 31 to Aug 27):

[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age [2nd month] (28 days) - 500.000
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age [2nd month] (28 days) - 300.000
[PS4] Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (25 days) - 85.000
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 100.000
[NSW] Monster Hunter XX: Double Cross Nintendo Switch Ver. (3 days) - 115.000

KtSlime

only 5 of 60mln PS4 sold until now are from Japan, how it is possible that Sony got more from Japan than from the west ??

I feel like you know and are just joking, but to those who don't. Sony is a bank and insurance company in Japan.

Eolz

PREDICTION LEAGUE AUGUST 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jul 31 to Aug 27):

[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age [2nd month] (28 days) - 542k
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age [2nd month] (28 days) - 283k
[PS4] Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (25 days) - 64k
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 76k
[NSW] Monster Hunter XX: Double Cross Nintendo Switch Ver. (3 days) - 195k

Pachael

Yes, those figures are for all of Sony so includes Aniplex and FGO. Also the below, which has taken Sony through its rougher patches (TV/mobile/PS3)

I feel like you know and are just joking, but to those who don't. Sony is a bank and insurance company in Japan.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Yes? Just look at Horizon or Battlefront 2 or Destiny and tell me how they are gonna run on Switch, especially when not docked. Keep in mind Wii did get some western AAA games such as CoD. Do you think Switch is getting CoD or Destiny? When we are talking about portability, we should be focusing on big AAA titles. Of course you can port some indie games to Switch, maybe even MHW because that game doesn't look impressive at all, but that doesn't mean Switch is easier to port to.

He is completely correct. Saying it's not easier to downgrade and port certain PS4/XB1 titles to run on Switch (which uses a modern CPU, GPU, has 4GB's of RAM and supports all the latest engines) compared to porting PS360 games to Wii (Wii had an overclocked Gamecube CPU, 88MB's of RAM and a 12gflop GPU with no modern shading support) is beyond silly.

Remember it was Capcom specifically who asked Nintendo to up the amount of RAM inside Switch from 2GB's to 4GB's. They didn't do that for nothing...

ggx2ac

We don't actually know for sure what part they were competing on, but the component that makes most sense was the internal memory since there were many reports about shortages even before the Switch specific report about Nintendo struggling due to Apple. Another part they share is the linear actuators for the HD rumble, which could also be (one of) the culprit(s), which could, incidentally, also explain the shortage of additional joy-cons we know of.

I mentioned before when that WSJ reported about the shortages, it felt like the HD Rumble was the least problematic because of the hunch I had that Alps Electric produces the HD Rumble that it would be doubtful that shortages would happen for that since it is not a regular Linear Resonant Actuator.

Hence why I said regarding that article that the shortages most likely to occur are NAND chips, followed by LCD screens.

Thankfully now it looks like the HD Rumble is Alps Electric's Haptic Reactor so we'll know where it's coming from if a shortage were to occur.

Here is the thread explaining the Haptic Reactor: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1334244

Here is the Joy-Con's HD Rumble which the teardown came from this blog: http://kako.com/blog/?p=24289

Here is the image of Alps Electric Haptic Reactor in a drawing of the product from their site: http://www.alps.com/prod/info/E/HTML/Actuator/index.html#reactor

And Alps Electric earnings results for the quarter they put up on July 27th, they mention sales of their HAPTIC products grew significantly: http://www.alps.com/pdf/ir/disclosure/2018apx1_e.pdf

He is completely correct. Saying it's not easier to downgrade and port certain PS4/XB1 titles to run on Switch (which uses a modern CPU, GPU, has 4GB's of RAM and supports all the latest engines) compared to porting PS360 games to Wii (Wii had an overclocked Gamecube CPU, 88MB's of RAM and a 12gflop GPU with no modern shading support) is beyond silly.

Remember it was Capcom specifically who asked Nintendo to up the amount of RAM inside Switch from 2GB's to 4GB's. They didn't do that for nothing...

Sorry for being picky but yes capcpom got nintendo to increase the ram but there's been nothing to suggest it was only going to be 2gb originally, I'd assume 3gb like the sheild tv was far more likely

ggx2ac

No, I wasn't joking and I thought those numbers were only from the Playstation branch

It's not, it's actually Sony's total sales revenue separated by regions.

Their gaming division only made ¥323,051 (millions of yen) in sales while the total sales revenue as you saw in that image showing geographical information is ¥1,858,113 (millions of yen).

So their gaming division only accounted for 17% of total sales revenue.

ggx2ac

^

Speaking of which...

I'm adding an interesting bit from the other thread. Big growth year on year in China, with Sony being more and more active on this market with hardware bundles and games localizations, like we saw with the recent ChinaJoy conference. Japan is also up +21,2% for april-june 2017. I do wonder how those sales works though, because why would Sony made more money from Japan than US and Europe ? I suppose the sales of hardware are accounted there of something like that.

aiAJTeI.png

How were you able to infer what sales increases by region the gaming division came from for Sony's Total Sales revenue sorted by region?

Sony's Gaming division only accounted for 17% of Sony's total sales revenue which I point out in my post above.

foxuzamaki

Didn't the Rocket League devs say they decided to port to the Switch after seeing it could handle Mario Kart 8 as well as it did? They weren't even sure the system could handle their game before they saw evidence of it.

I guess Nintendo will have to do like Microsoft does with their Surface line and make more "hero" games to entice 3rd parties.
Was this really said?

Top Bottom