• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 3, 2012 (Jan 16 - Jan 22)

Frillen

I've always underestimated the power of Tales of titles for Sony's systems. Will not be surprised if Innocence gave the Vita a bump even though it's a remake of the worst Tales of game I've played (haven't played Tempest).

I know people have sort of scoffed at this theory before. However, I'm wondering if the MH3G, MK7 and SM3DL trinity is starting to cannibalize sales. Obviously Ace Combat, Beyond the Labyrinth, and Rhythm Thief were never going to get mass sales but they look slightly lower than most expected regardless. Also, obviously having released the trinity of games was smarter but I feel publishers underestimated how strong the effect of those three games would be. I think it might've been wiser had publishers held off on releasing the game until later down the road. I think big games like RE have a big enough brand name carried with them to avoid getting lost behind other big titles. However, low budget and new ips likely are getting lost in the shuffle.

Spiegel

ToIR has a pretty high chance of making the second worst debut for a Tales game listed on garaph, so at least since 2002.

fernoca

Thought it was a "fine" week, until reading that WipEout 2048 was out in this chart..and didn't made it to the Top 20? (less than 5,400 debut).. :/

Zenaku

Did Tales of the Abyss(3DS) bomb hard? I can't imagine either selling well.

It sold around 70k with an install base of around 1-1.5m. In comparison, the best selling Tales of Port for PSP was Tales of Destiny 2, also around 70k with a PSP install base of around 4m at the time. I honestly can't see TOIR doing better than 50k, which is also the absolute minimum I expect out of RE:R.

I'd be all for a ToHearts remake though. More FMVs, full voice, slightly better quality sprites; it'd be wonderful.

duckroll

It sold around 70k with an install base of around 1-1.5m. In comparison, the best selling Tales of Port for PSP was Tales of Destiny 2, also around 70k with a PSP install base of around 4m at the time. I honestly can't see TOIR doing better than 50k, which is also the absolute minimum I expect out of RE:R.

I'd be all for a ToHearts remake though. More FMVs, full voice, slightly better quality sprites; it'd be wonderful.

No, the best selling Tales of Port for PSP is Tales of Eternia actually. It came out 2 months after the PSP launch.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You know that meme comic with "the PS3...has no games!"?

I guess its time to update this to PSV.

vareon

I really wonder what makes them think it's a good idea to remake Innocence, with that graphics quality, and to Vita.

Zenaku said:
It sold around 70k with an install base of around 1-1.5m. In comparison, the best selling Tales of Port for PSP was Tales of Destiny 2, also around 70k with a PSP install base of around 4m at the time.
Nah, Tales of Eternia is a big outlier. Originally released when PSP hardware was just under a million, it and its budget version went on to do about 250K.

The later ports were pretty similar to 3DS Abyss, though, yeah.

Maedhros

That's kind of what I was thinking. I mean, the series has it's following, no doubt, but I wouldn't say it's large.

Well... it sells better in the west than in Japan. So that's something... I guess...

@mclem
Dunno. Garaph must have these infos, but I'm too lazy to go look for it now.

Alrus

If ToI:R does worse than Abyss 3D, Namco won't be happy. It probably is a much more expensive project too considering it's a remake and not a port...

Everything including the top 3 seem quite low to me.

I think these numbers are relatively similar to previous years, we're in the boring part of the year.

i'd rather see a Tales of Symphonia PS2 version remake with GameCube quality graphics or a Tales of Hearts 3D remake...

graphically TOIR looks like another psp Tales of World game...
I think Symphonia's due for a full on HD console remake. Hearts could've been interesting.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
In my opinion Vita's HW numbers are not so negative.
I mean: is holding better than its sister PSP (that costs less and offers more in terms of games).
Obviously Vita is not performing so well, but neither so bad (for this week)
Software wise (both actual and future) is another topic, and my opinion is negative under this point of view.

Good start for Rhythm thief, bad for Beyoind the bomb.

The four horsemen on 3DS are on fire, together with the console itself.

Good HW performance for PS3 and good software performance for Wii.

Cipherr

Is it the genre or the game? How does F-Zero perform?

Tough to say. F-Zero isnt exactly popular anywhere either IIRC. Well known among gamers, sure. But not a chart stopper.

Edit: And yeah, Vita is bricking like a motherfuck. Damn near below 15k.

What is this I have read somewhere about a Nintendo announcement happening tomorrow. I can't seem to find where I read it. Maybe Nintendo plans to announce something to get those last 295k sales in Japan to get 5 million 3DS's sold.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Looks like Sales-age is back to being boring again.

Finally, I couldn't stand more pointless posts with laughs and cries.

Maybe it won't happen this generation but I think it's a matter of time before SCEI kills the last 2 big remaining franchises in Japan. They are not so big anymore right now either.

test_account

XP-39C²

Maybe it won't happen this generation but I think it's a matter of time before SCEI kills the last 2 big remaining franchises in Japan. They are not so big anymore right now either.
Which franchises are those?

Sadist

What is this I have read somewhere about a Nintendo announcement happening tomorrow. I can't seem to find where I read it. Maybe Nintendo plans to announce something to get those last 295k sales in Japan to get 5 million 3DS's sold.
Investors meeting + financial results

Salvadora

I wonder if they will reveal some titles. I'm sure thats when they could show SC and DQ7 remake, If either of those are happening.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think he's talking about Minna no Golf and GT...
Minna no Golf might not be that huge of a seller, so i can maybe see that. But to kill of GT? That doesnt make much sense in my opinion. I think that GT5 is the biggest selling PS3 game worldwide besides the Call of Duty games.

Orgen

Bwahaha ;)

Are you refering to MinGol and GT? Really? I know their last portable entries didn't sell well but the console versions are still good sellers (MinGol more in Japan than WW and GT more WW than Japan). Maybe SCEI ends up killing Team ICO but I don't see them killing their 2 big franchises in Japan (I could be wrong though).

Now, if Yamauchi spends another 5-6 years making the next GT... then he could be Ueda-ed.

In my opinion Vita's HW numbers are not so negative.
I mean: is holding better than its sister PSP (that costs less and offers more in terms of games).

Not compared to its launch sales:

Code:
    3DS      PSP     PSVita
1  374,764  166,074   321,407
2  209,623  81,355    72,479
3  96,463   92,515    42,648
4  61,394   111,194   42,915
5  50,710   55,358    18,361
6  42,979   57,383    15,219
7  32,910   66,601
8  28,252   71,200

Code:
    3DS      PSP     PSVita
7  32,910   66,601
8  28,252   71,200

Also factoring in that Vita was released during the holidays and PSP/3DS wasn't.

RPGamer92

Banned

Code:
    3DS      PSP     PSVita
7  32,910   66,601