• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2015 (Aug 17 - Aug 23)

Oh, I didn't know Gran Turismo 6 had that big of a dropoff in Japan, I thought I heard somewhere that it sold over 500k.

It remains to be seen if GTAV's explosion in Japan would impact the sales of the next Red Dead game (or any of their open world IPs), though.

GT6 is at 403k iirc

GTA 5 selling 1 million + was a great surprise but I see it only effecting future GTA games and not open world games in general.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases

{2015.09.02}

[PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain # <ADV> (Konami) (¥9.072)
[PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (1/3)(Special Edition) <ADV> (Konami) (¥10.778)
[PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (2/3)(Premium Package - Konami Style Limited Edition) <ADV> (Konami) (¥32.184)
[PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (3/3)(PlayStation 4 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - The Phantom Pain Edition) <ADV> (Konami) (¥53.978)

[XB1] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain # <ADV> (Konami) (¥9.072)
[XB1] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (1/2)(Special Edition) <ADV> (Konami) (¥10.778)
[XB1] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (2/2)(Premium Package - Konami Style Limited Edition) <ADV> (Konami) (¥32.184)

[PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain # <ADV> (Konami) (¥9.072)
[PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (1/2)(Special Edition) <ADV> (Konami) (¥10.778)
[PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (2/2)(Premium Package - Konami Style Limited Edition) <ADV> (Konami) (¥32.184)

{2015.09.03}

[3DS] LEGO Ninjago: Shadow of Ronin <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) (¥5.076)

[PSV] Infinite Stratos 2: Love and Purge # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.344)
[PSV] Infinite Stratos 2: Love and Purge (1/1)(Limited Edition) <ADV> (5pb.) (¥10.584)

[PS3] Infinite Stratos 2: Love and Purge # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.344)
[PS3] Infinite Stratos 2: Love and Purge (1/1)(Limited Edition) <ADV> (5pb.) (¥10.584)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Sure, depending on how much over 2 million PS4 is at by the end of the year. Also, I get it, home consoles in Japan are "dead", but you actually think there's a possibility for the PS4 to just stop selling?

Recenti weeks were more positive but until few weeks ago trajectories pointed at a possible ltd around half of the ps3 one so more or less 5 millions. Aldo accounting your numbers that would put PS4 around 2 millions after two years on the market with two christmas and the launch, and looking at a shorter lifetime before ps5 introduction I would say that your and his calls are closer than you think

bluedawgs

Banned
Recenti weeks were more positive but until few weeks ago trajectories pointed at a possible ltd around half of the ps3 one so more or less 5 millions. Aldo accounting your numbers that would put PS4 around 2 millions after two years on the market with two christmas and the launch, and looking at a shorter lifetime before ps5 introduction I would say that your and his calls are closer than you think

oh, that's right. people still think ps4 and bone will only last for five years. no wonder my views are completely different from everyone elses.

ZhugeEX

Banned

What's most interesting to me is that the PlayStation, the new console on the block, in a market dominated by Nintendo and Sega, was able to sell through more than 2.7 million units in the same time it has taken the PlayStation 4 to sell through 1.7 million.

Even the PlayStation 3 which launched at a much higher price had already sold through more than 2.1 million units when you align launches and consider how much better the Nintendo Wii was selling.

PlayStation 4 software sales have been very low as well with no games apart from Bloodborne and Dragon Quest Heroes able to exceed 200,000 units with the latter game selling more on PlayStation 3.

There hasn't been a killer app yet for Japanese gamers to purchase the PlayStation 4 and honestly the market has changed so much that even if killer apps do launch it may not do much to increase the install base to the levels of its predecessors.

The launch of PlayStation 4 exclusive titles from Sony Computer Entertainment, Square Enix, Capcom, Bandai Namco and Koei Tecmo in 2016 and beyond will be key to pushing both software and hardware sales as right now there don't seem to be many other big developers catering to the Japanese market that have the strength to dictate hardware purchases.

Eolz

No surprising numbers this week.
But yeah, Splatoon will hit 700k this year.
Still thinking the PS4 will hit 5-5.5M at best LTD in Japan when the PS5 will be released.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
But yeah, Splatoon will hit 700k this year.

Is already at 585,000 unit sold, with 24,000 from this weeks.

For sell 700,000 in 2015, Splatoon MUST sell by now a bit over 6,000 unit all weeks for the rest 19 weeks of the year. But that's impossible. Is impossible considering it sold 24,000 this week, and there are the holidays boost. There is no way for this game dropped so hard. I mean...

1 million by end of year is the most likely scenario.

GT6 is at 403k iirc

GTA 5 selling 1 million + was a great surprise but I see it only effecting future GTA games and not open world games in general.

I think if you had released game like Witcher 3 in Japan couple of years ago it would had sold way less than it did in current market. Also new Batman sold way way more than Batman games on PS3. So while games will not obviously hit the heights of GTA in sales I still think they are benefiting from GTA making the market bigger for these type of games in Japan.

Vena

but... dragon quest, final fantasy, kingdom hearts, nier, dark souls 3, the last guardian, unannounced games.. COME ON

edit: ah, you said square trio, and i then listed the square trio. my bad.

As much as you value the trio, they are known quantities and largely redundant in fanbase. The reason a lot of us bring up Splatoon is because it isn't a known quantity nor is it a redundant fanbase, this means it has a larger more protracted affect on sales of hardware

It's also, potentially, to be a bigger franchise than some of them at this point (in Japan)...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This week's Famitsu issue featured the monthly top 30 retail+digital. I couldn't get that much from the Google Translate (indeed)‘s preview on Hokanko. Very intrested in seeing those full charts.

Xbro

but... dragon quest, final fantasy, kingdom hearts, nier, dark souls 3, the last guardian, unannounced games.. COME ON

edit: ah, you said square trio, and i then listed the square trio. my bad.

What exactly do you think Nier, Dark Souls and TLG will do?

bluedawgs

Banned
As much as you value the trio, they are known quantities and largely redundant in fanbase. The reason a lot of us bring up Splatoon is because it isn't a known quantity nor is it a redundant fanbase, this means it has a larger more protracted affect on sales of hardware

It's also, potentially, to be a bigger franchise than some of them at this point (in Japan)...

If we're stictly talking about the trio, no it's not bigger than any of them. It certainly is bigger than Nier, Dark Souls, and The Last Guardian. I only listed those games because I think they'll give the PS4 a mild boost.

Xbro

If we're stictly talking about the trio, no it's not bigger than any of them. It certainly is bigger than Nier, Dark Souls, and The Last Guardian. I only listed those games because I think they'll give the PS4 a mild boost.

It's arguably bigger than Kingdom Hearts.

Busaiku

It'll also be interesting to see if Final Fantasy will suffer after XIII and the new gen transition.
We have a good idea that Dragon Quest will still do well, given the performance of spinoffs and remakes.
Final Fantasy ones haven't held up nearly as well.

Like Mario, which is also dead.

It'll also be interesting to see if Final Fantasy will suffer after XIII and the new gen transition.
We have a good idea that Dragon Quest will still do well, given the performance of spinoffs and remakes.

Will be also interesting to see how VII Remake sells compared to XV.

bluedawgs

Banned

Like Mario, which is also dead.

Have there been any?

Final Fantasy XIII-2 sold nearly a million so I would say it's all good for Final Fantasy, especially considering XV looks pretty cool.

Busaiku

Have there been any?

Final Fantasy XIII-2 sold nearly a million so I would say it's all good for Final Fantasy, especially considering XV looks pretty cool.
Compared to Final Fantasy X-2, it was way down.
The Final Fantasy X/X-2 stuff was relatively weak, as were Lightning Returns, Theatrhythm, Type 0 HD, Explorers.

bluedawgs

Banned
Compared to Final Fantasy X-2, it was way down.
The Final Fantasy X/X-2 stuff was relatively weak, as were Lightning Returns, Theatrhythm, Type 0 HD, Explorers.

I don't think these multi platform remasters and frankly bad spin offs represent how XV will do. I'm sure it will do just as well if not better than XIII, simply because it feels more grand, it's very highly anticipated and will probably be better.

Busaiku

Even if they are different versions, I do not see Dragon Quest XI beating Dragon Quest IX.
I see something like 2.5 million 3DS, 1.5 million PS4.

Because they are different though, I think it'll hold better than if they were the same game.

bluedawgs

Banned
Even if they are different versions, I do not see Dragon Quest XI beating Dragon Quest IX.

Because they are different though, I think it'll hold better than if they were the same game.

I think the 3DS version will do a lot more than 2.5m, probably 3-3.5m if not more in my opinion. 3DS is a beast in Japan, and it sells software incredibly well. I think the PS4 version has a chance at 2 million, because it's Dragon Quest and it sells itself.

Busaiku

Dragon Quest has never been a stronger performer than Pokemon, and Animal Crossing and Monster Hunter were also bigger than it last gen (along with Super Mario, but that died).
Everything else is down, I expect this to be as well.

It's in a unique situation, so it's hard to predict, but that's why I can see it holding better overall (even beating Monster Hunter). However, all the other major franchises saw significant declines.

sörine;176665298 said:
I'd say it's really unlikely FFXV outsells FFXIII. Even DQXI PS4 might not outsell FFXIII actually.

With DQXI being also on 3DS I don't see it crossing even 1.5 million on PS4. Should be still million seller. Without some kind of miracle XV also of course sells less than XIII. FFVII Remake is the only PS4 title I could see selling more than XIII.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
With DQXI being also on 3DS I don't see it crossing even 1.5 million on PS4. Should be still million seller. Without some kind of miracle XV also of course sells less than XIII. FFVII Remake is the only PS4 title I could see selling more than XIII.

Can you write your exatly prediction lifetime for Dragon Quest PS4?

bluedawgs

Banned
Dragon Quest has never been a stronger performer than Pokemon, and Animal Crossing and Monster Hunter were also bigger than it last gen (along with Super Mario, but that died).
Everything else is down, I expect this to be as well.

It's in a unique situation, so it's hard to predict, but that's why I can see it holding better overall (even beating Monster Hunter). However, all the other major franchises saw significant declines.

It's only in contention with X/Y, which sold like 4.5 million or something like that, I don't think it will sell that much. How has Mario died?

Busaiku

Well, going by your prediction, you had it at 5 million minimum, which would it the strongest game this gen and strongest Dragon Quest. I cannot see that happening.

Mario is dead cause the games saw over 50% declines.
All spinoffs besides Mario Kart did poorly.

bluedawgs

Banned
sörine;176667152 said:
Brand strength, platform strength, fan anticipation, press interest. Final Fantasy's seen better days in general.

I almost feel like the only PS4 game to outsell FFXIII might be FFVIIr.

I'd replace that with Dragon Quest if I were to pick only one game to outsell XIII

As you could probably tell I'm pretty optimistic about the PS4 in Japan so I still think XV has a shot at surpassing XIII, I honestly have no clue how VII will do, all I know is it will be a million seller.

bluedawgs

Banned
Well, going by your prediction, you had it at 5 million minimum, which would it the strongest game this gen and strongest Dragon Quest. I cannot see that happening.
Mario is dead cause the games saw over 50% declines.

Oh, didn't realize we were talking combined sales here. I'm expecting a lot of double dips for Dragon Quest XI.

bluedawgs

Banned
Anyone have any ideas how the next Resident Evil will do? I think like 600-700k.

Might be interesting to first see how MGSV does. When Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies has outsold anything in the PS4 library thus far (aka DQHeroes is the only title over 300K in sales on PS4 at all, not counting the forced bundle of Knack on launch), I think it's kind of early to start talking about million sellers.
I mean I don't think the sales of a multiplatform MGS on a user base as small as PS4's is really representative of how Dragon Quest XI or Final Fantasy XV or VII will do when it's a lot bigger

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I'd replace that with Dragon Quest if I were to pick only one game to outsell XIII

As you could probably tell I'm pretty optimistic about the PS4 in Japan so I still think XV has a shot at surpassing XIII, I honestly have no clue how VII will do, all I know is it will be a million seller.

Might be interesting to first see how MGSV does. When Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies has outsold anything in the PS4 library thus far (aka DQHeroes is the only title over 300K in sales on PS4 at all, not counting the forced bundle of Knack on launch), I think it's kind of early to start talking about million sellers.

Xbro

While very probably true it's kinda hard to say how big franchise Kingdom Hearts is nowadays in Japan as the last mainline title was released in 2005.

Yeah. Hence the arguable part. I would have said definitely based on the sales of the series, but we really haven't had a mainline title for 10 years.

There's no way that ratio happens. I have doubts the PS4 version will even hit 1 million, and I think that the 3DS version should easily pass 3 million.

Vena

There's no way that ration happens. I have doubts the PS4 version will even hit 1 million, and I think that the 3DS version should easily pass 3 million.

If we hear more about the NX release before the launch, or if it coincides with the launch and is running the UE4 DQXI, then sales could be potentially lower even further but that is asking to count chickens before chickens existed. :p

what are 14k PS4 owners playing?

PS4 games, I'd imagine.

sörine;176667152 said:
Brand strength, platform strength, fan anticipation, press interest. Final Fantasy's seen better days in general.

We can't jump to this conclusion until FFXV comes out. I'd love to know where people are getting this from aside from the sales of a couple of sequels no one asked for and a HD Port of a 4 years too late PSP game.

I wonder how Minecraft on Vita is going to do the rest of the year. If it still averages 8-12k a week it has a shot at 500k by the end of the year but I have a feeling it's sales are going to taper off soon.

Either way the game has done really well considering not only has it hit 300k at retail but if Famitsu's digital estimates are anything to go by it's nearly at 300k on PSN as well.

sörine

Banned
We can't jump to this conclusion until FFXV comes out. I'd love to know where people are getting this from aside from the sales of a couple of sequels no one asked for and a HD Port of a 4 years too late PSP game.
You can't understand where people are getting this... except for every FF game that came out after XIII?

BriBri

This week's Famitsu issue featured the monthly top 30 retail+digital. I couldn't get that much from the Google Translate (indeed)‘s preview on Hokanko. Very intrested in seeing those full charts.
You should now know where to look;-)

Top Bottom