• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2017 (Aug 21 - Aug 27)

Switch version was supposed to prevent the decline and prove that these games can sell on Switch, so i am pretty sure it's a big problem.
So if Gust fails to find an audience on Switch now they are doomed? Damn I always thought Nintendo was doomed because of lack of third party support, now third parties are doomed because they can't find success on Nintendo platforms. The times, they are changing.

gtj1092

Okay lets slow down for a bit....even with Switch software selling reasonably well. The system installed base is still quite a bit lower compared to other plattforms - so there is a limit to how many games can sell/perform solid at the same time. Especially when talking about such niche releases.

Wasn't the beginning of this thread you all saying MH should of been a launch title and that it's sales would of had no effect on other games selling on the switch? Which is it are publishers stupid for not putting all games on switch or smart for holding off knowing the userbase can only support so many titles?

Laplasakos

So if Gust fails to find an audience on Switch now they are doomed? Damn I always thought Nintendo was doomed because of lack of third party support, now third parties are doomed because they can't find success on Nintendo platforms. The times, they are changing.

I never said that they were doomed. In these years, many games declined and people were saying (rightfully) that companies should try Nintendo or go multiplatform in order to sell more or prevent decline. Nights of Azure 2 was called by many in here as the first proper test and it doesn't seen to be doing well and i think neither Atelier will or similar games. That's all.

And btw it's not that i have a problem with irony posts or anything but i would prefer having a proper talk instead of '' DOOM'' every time someone doesn't share the same opinion with someone else about Switch.

Ayyyyy Lmao. Need to see the actual sales on Wed before I can comment.

If the title as a whole launches with low numbers it probably doesn't matter. It's not like once vita fizzles off next year they have a choice. Go PS4 only or you have to support the Switch with domestic releases.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
in some of those retailers charts even the PS4 version is under the PS4 version of REsident Evil Revelations (and old port of an HD port of a spin off)
which numbers are we looking at also for the best selling version? It seems to me that probably the game by itself isn't going to perform very well.
if ps4 numbers will be around 25k and Switch one around 10k I'm not sure we should be worried about the Switch version and consequently about possible Gust Switch games, but more about the Nights of Azure brand imho

Celine

In 1997, Final Fantasy VII sold 4 million copies in Japan, and in 1999, Final Fantasy VIII sold 3.5 million copies in Japan.

In 2016, Final Fantasy XV sold 1 million copies in Japan.

A question becomes "Where did all these people who played FF7/FF8 go, especially given they were a mix of core and mainstream gamers? This 2.5-3 million copy gap is gigantic."
While I do agree with your overall reasoning, I do think Final Fantasy is trending worse than the actual (dedicated console) market shrinking in Japan.

In 1995, Dragon Quest VI sold about 3.1M-3.2M.
In 2000, Dragon Quest VII sold about 3.9M.
In 2017, Dragon Quest XI (3DS/PS4) will sell about 3.2M-3.5M.

EDIT: My Dragon Quest example is just to show that different series have different sales pattern through time influenced by other factors other thanthe market health, not that I think DQ is the norm.

Also I would add that a negative gap of 2.5-3 million from 4M to 1M is far more worrisome than a negative gap of 3.5M from 8M to 4.5M (Pokémon trajectory) because it isn't just a matter of how much a franchise has lost from the absolute peak but how a franchise stabilize through generations.

Amusingly, Nights of Azure 1 on Vita ended up outselling the PS4 version in Japan (both versions > 50k).

Only the PS4 version has a chance of hitting more than 50k this time, and I don't think it will. Vita version will be well down and Swtich doesn't look like it's doing anything.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
And btw it's not that i have a problem with irony posts or anything but i would prefer having a proper talk instead of '' DOOM'' every time someone doesn't share the same opinion with someone else about Switch.

I'm sorry, I just don't know what else to say. The cherry picking is just too much for me.

I never said that they were doomed. In these years, many games declined and people were saying (rightfully) that companies should try Nintendo or go multiplatform in order to sell more or prevent decline. Nights of Azure 2 was called by many in here as the first proper test and it doesn't seen to be doing well and i think neither Atelier will or similar games. That's all.

Oh I see, I don't think them not finding an audience on Switch in particular is a big problem, more finding an audience period. And that was Chris' point you commented on. But that doesn't mean they will cease to exist, maybe it's time to change some of the formulas. Multiplatform will not always help with decline.

in some of those retailers charts even the PS4 version is under the PS4 version of REsident Evil Revelations (and old port of an HD port of a spin off)
which numbers are we looking at also for the best selling version? It seems to me that probably the game by itself isn't going to perform very well.
if ps4 numbers will be around 25k and Switch one around 10k I'm not sure we should be worried about the Switch version and consequently about possible Gust Switch games, but more about the Nights of Azure brand imho

I think it's more of a Nights of Azure problem than a Gust problem yeah. Atelier is more mainstream (no yuri :p) and has been on DS and 3DS before. The DS games sold ~40k and New Rorona on 3DS sold only 10k tho, but those are obviously smaller projects.

I doubt Nights of Azure 2 will reach 10k on Switch tho...

Oregano

The issue with Nights of Azure 2 is that they can't just show up on Switch and expect the audience to materialise over night.

Other people have pointed it out but multiplatform games bombed on PS4 a lot early on but the publishers persisted anyway. They need to afford the Switch that same luxury.

casiopao

The issue with Nights of Azure 2 is that they can't just show up on Switch and expect the audience to materialise over night.

Other people have pointed it out but multiplatform games bombed on PS4 a lot early on but the publishers persisted anyway. They need to afford the Switch that same luxury.

Which sadly is something i dont think other company would give Switch any chance for there. Nintendo platform rarely had that luxury given to them at all.

LordKano

Which sadly is something i dont think other company would give Switch any chance for there. Nintendo platform rarely had that luxury given to them at all.

I don't see why they wouldn't. Making a Switch port of Nights of Azure 2 surely wouldn't have cost much and Koei Tecmo didn't wait to see the result before announcing the next Atelier on the platform.

casiopao

I don't see why they wouldn't. Making a Switch port of Nights of Azure 2 surely wouldn't have cost much and Koei Tecmo didn't wait to see the result before announcing the next Atelier on the platform.

While logically i can see where u are coming from there, but i had hard time picturing that happen there lol.

Maybe i am just pessimistic here.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

It could also perform decently (just decently, nothing more) in the West, especially compared to the Vita version, so we could end up seeing a similar situation with Disgaea 5 Complete or whatever

LordKano

Overall I don't think Koei Tecmo's support will fade, the audience is not here yet (maybe it would have been better after Xenoblade 2 released) but it will gradually get better as long as they continue to release their titles there. They have to cultivate an audience that was never really present on Nintendo platforms.

It could also perform decently (just decently, nothing more) in the West, especially compared to the Vita version, so we could end up seeing a similar situation with Disgaea 5 Complete or whatever

I don't think the Vita version is even going to be released here, but yeah, seeing how absolutely everything is selling well on Switch in the west no matter the quality, and how low-budget the port has probably been, they probably won't take a loss on that.

Oregano

Atelier being announced is a good sign but this is definitely true. Musou dropped Wii U straight away even the sales ended up not far from what the first few Musou games sold on PS4.

casiopao

Atelier being announced is a good sign but this is definitely true. Musou dropped Wii U straight away even the sales ended up not far from what the first few Musou games sold on PS4.

I dont think it will be as bad as wii u for sure as Switch is portable and of course successful but i am not certain that everything will receive Switch port in the future.

Malakai

Very ignorance of Nights of Azure 2 but is it a sequel or is it being perceived as a sequel? I googled around and it seem like Nights of Azure isn't a sequel one.

casiopao

Very ignorance of Nights of Azure 2 but is it a sequel or is it being perceived as a sequel? I googled around and it seem like Nights of Azure isn't a sequel one.

Not sure lol. I just watch one of its popular trailer with tons of grill and bikinis lol.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
NA2 performance on the switch is expected it's not like NIS pledged support off mainly off the back of domestic success.

For a lot of these games western sales will be the barometer for a while. Due to the relative lack of major third party support mid tigers and Indies are thriving on the switch.

Not sure if localisation has been announced but I can't imagine why these sorts of games wouldn't be eying a worldwide release in the switch.

NA2 performance on the switch is expected it's not like NIS pledged support off mainly off the back of domestic success.

Koei Tecmo*

NIS used to publish the Gust games in the west until the company was acquired by Koei Tecmo.

The Switch strategies of these two companies are quite the opposite, ironically. Most NIS games for Switch are only announced for western release (ports of Touhou Kobuto V, Penny-Punching Princess and The Longest Five Minutes), while most games Koei Tecmo has announced for the Switch are Japan-only (multiple Warriors, horse racing, and strategy games).

wrowa

Switch version was supposed to prevent the decline and prove that these games can sell on Switch, so i am pretty sure it's a big problem.

There is no established audience for this type of game in the Nintendo ecosystem. Be it Gust, Nippon Ichi, Idea Factory or whoever else: Most of these companies are strongly associated with Sony systems and their efforts on Nintendo hardware have mostly been half-hearted. In order for these games to find an audience on Switch, they first need to prove their intent. No one's going to be convinced by their support just because they've announced a port or two. People who aren't super interested in typical Nintendo games like Mario Kart or Splatoon aren't going to run out and buy a Switch just because of Nights of Azure or the next Atelier.

Ironically enough, I think the niche publisher who would be the best fit for Nintendo's audience is also the one that currently seems to be the unlikeliest to make the jump: Falcom.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I think the main difference is Wii U vs Switch here.
the transition took awhile for PS4 games too, and they insisted, because it was obvious that PS4 was going to sell a lot.
Switch is, so far, on fire in Japan HW wise and very solid in the West too for software. So...

Talking about Nights of Azure, have we had reports of how the Switch version performs yet?

Yes, it is going to sell worst than PS4 and Vita version, with every versions selling poorly it seems.

Koei Tecmo*

NIS used to publish the Gust games in the west until the company was acquired by Koei Tecmo.

The Switch strategies of these two companies are quite the opposite, ironically. Most NIS games for Switch are only announced for western release (ports of Touhou Kobuto V, Penny-Punching Princess and The Longest Five Minutes), while most games Koei Tecmo has announced for the Switch are Japan-only (multiple Warriors, horse racing, and strategy games).

Pleasantly enough, NISA still personally sells their LE's on their online store, not sure if they "publish" those. You can pre-order the LE of NoA2 on Switch and PS4 right now over there.

So it kinda maybe sorta sometimes counts? :p

wrowa

Lol I meant how it performs as in technically.

Worse lighting and missing effects. Some framerate issues (it wouldn't be a true portable Gust game with a smooth framerate, wouldn't it? :p). Competent enough, I suppose.

Switch gameplay: https://youtu.be/Wk_bzS1k8X4
PS4 gameplay: https://youtu.be/3J5xt3zngSk

12iHVLW.png

YKEUxks.png

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Koei Tecmo*

I'm talking about the quote from wsj
Mochi which was said to come from Nippon Ichi themselves.

There is no established audience for this type of game in the Nintendo ecosystem. Be it Gust, Nippon Ichi, Idea Factory or whoever else: Most of these companies are strongly associated with Sony systems and their efforts on Nintendo hardware have mostly been half-hearted. In order for these games to find an audience on Switch, they first need to prove their intent. No one's going to be convinced by their support just because they've announced a port or two. People who aren't super interested in typical Nintendo games like Mario Kart or Splatoon aren't going to run out and buy a Switch just because of Nights of Azure or the next Atelier.

Ironically enough, I think the niche publisher who would be the best fit for Nintendo's audience is also the one that currently seems to be the unlikeliest to make the jump: Falcom.

Funny enough, NIS really scored with Disgaea 5 Complete on Switch, as shown a few pages ago, apparently it's at... 30k shipped in Japan and Anihawk chimed in saying it possibly under 200k WW and only just below the PS4 original is at a bit over 200k WW.

Meaning, in a crazy twist of fate, we might actually witness a DISGAEA game sell more on a NINTENDO system than on a Sony system.

That's batshit crazy if that happens. o_O

Edit: Here's the post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=247696445&postcount=780

I'm talking about the quote from wsj N
Mochi.

Oh, sorry. I didn't understand that. WSJ indeed said NIS is going full PS4/Switch, which I think is the best way to go for them. My guess is that, after trying it out with Hakoniwa Company Works, more teams and projects will work with Unreal Engine 4, which is supported by both platforms, instead of whatever they used previously (Witch and the Hundred Knight was PhyreEngine, but I don't know if all of their projects were built in that engine).

Helping Nirolak out with Road to TGS :p

D3 Publisher's new game is announced as "Tokimeki Mecha Orc" (ときめきメチャオーク). The game is coming to PS4 and Vita. It's a fantasy game and I have no idea what the fuck is going on there...something with bishoujo orcs.... (Official website)

Helping Nirolak out with Road to TGS :p

D3 Publisher's new game is announced as "Tokimeki Mecha Orc" (ときめきメチャオーク). The game is coming to PS4 and Vita. It's a fantasy game and I have no idea what the fuck is going on there...something with bishoujo orcs.... (Official website)

It's just a teaser, the announcement hasn't happened yet. Speculation is that it'll be Bullet Girls 3 (Shade are working on a shooter for PS4/Vita).

1. Useful gimmick =/= useless gimmick. I don't like Joy-Cons but I cant deny that they are useful for a lot of innovative uses. WiiU gamepad was an old-fashioned tablet, heavy, bulky and often used in bad ways (aka replicate main screens, destroying battery life)
2. Switch is not a bad name because it allows to identify the console immediately (no confusing parents at stores deciding between Wii or WiiU) and it symbolize a change of pace for Nintendo.
3. Playing BC is acceptable only if doesn't require other investment for accessories, especially if they are priced. Better not having at all. But this is debatable depending on the user, I know.

THe WIi U gamepad is extremely useful lol what are you on about?

The Wii U still gets used to this day in my house because of the pure utility of the device

Dingens

just tried to order MHXX from Amazon.co.jp and... apparently it's out of stock.
Did they actually manage to sell through their initial shipment? Seems like they won't have it in stock for at least another week (site points to Wednesday next week)...
Well that's somewhat surprising given how it supposedly bombed. Or maybe Amazon didn't have much stock to begin with?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
sinobi

preorders for Gold / Silver opened today, September 22 release date

gamesmaya

SIE business meeting for November titles tomorrow.

Switch has marked this year, big rise for hardware, software and peripherals, has expectations for new announcements.

Top Bottom