• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2017 (Aug 28 - Sep 03)

Switch being above 50K is good.

Switch Azure actually sold closer to Vita than I thought, still a huge bomba all round. I expect Azure WW sales for Switch to be somewhat closer to the PS4 version (?)

I'm surprised the Vita version sold that much. Did they manage to have it play better than the first one?

WestEgg

Interesting to see that ARMS is a bit higher than Zelda, considering they've both probably settled into their baseline. This isn't a knock against Zelda, as I know it's not as big in Japan and isn't seen as the "Must Have" Switch game there, just figured ARMS would be too niche to have better legs a few months later.

Really wish Mario + Rabbids were out in Japan, as I'd love to see how it does there. I know it's being published by Nintendo rather than Ubisoft there, but given that it's already translated and the Switch is region free, it can't be too much more work to get it ready unless their just holding it back for scheduling reasons.

DrGrus

Good hold for Switch
ARMS still tugging along

Unsure about MH, can it get some legs or will the sales collapse totally?

Is it decent hardware sales for PS4 and 3DS?

Seems like the country is quite receptive to Studio Japan titles in general. Japan was about the only place in the world where Gravity Rush 2 didn't completely bomb. The Last Guardian did alright as well.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
And Atlus still have three more 3DS projects.

The only explanation for Atlus decisions is they are expecting big drop at sales but took the short path with reused assets and low budget, even if that devaluate their brands.

If they thought 3DS was still in position to maintain numbers of previous entries better luck next time.
___

Once again, we aren't done with underperforming games, September will be a long month.

zeromcd73

Everybody's Golf did really well, do we have numbers of previous entry's to compare it to ?
Everybody's Golf 4 on PS2 had the highest opening of the series with 475k. The best selling including re-releases is still the first game in the series on PS1 selling over 2million LTD.

Turrican3

I doubt there will be a return to so low shipments.
Speaking of shipments... I've always wondered about how frequently does hardware ship from the chinese manufacturing factories, any ideas?

Honest question, I know basically nothing about logistics so I'm not even sure the question makes sense.

It is becoming increasingly obvious that the Switch isn't a 3DS (or DS) successor in Japan, at least based on how third party games are selling. Only Super Bomberman R and Ultra Street Fighter II have broken 100k sales - correct me if I'm wrong.

It feels like another PS4 really, which also had a slow start and initially saw its games sell worse than the PS3 or Vita versions. This extends to how software is selling much more globally - like how Disgaea 5 Complete is almost at 200k, with just 30k units being from Japan.

Did you even read the chart before you came through with this hot take?

Will have a hard time reaching 200k.

Look at the chart of this thread first.
And it's not like there are any other relevant third party games that have released.

Monster Hunter XX has probably sold under Capcom's expectations. I doubt they were expecting it to break 100k in its second week on the market - wasn't the sale-through rate relatively low last week?

Nights of Azure 2 sold 4k.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It is becoming increasingly obvious that the Switch isn't a 3DS (or DS) successor in Japan, at least based on how third party games are selling. Only Super Bomberman R and Ultra Street Fighter II have broken 100k sales - correct me if I'm wrong.
Here... You have your quote xD

Yes, I forgot about Monster Hunter. I posted that solely on the basis of Nights of Azure 2's sales of 4,400 units.

Including MHXX actually strengthens my point - it's taken a second week to break 100k. If you look at the eShop charts for Japan you'll see a similar pattern.

I wouldn't be surprised if SteamWorld Dig 2 on Switch underperforms relative to the 3DS version which sold the most in Japan.

noshten

Splatoon 2 up to 67% attach rate without digital on M-C.

Now the only major question is whether Nintendo can maintain this as the baseline for September, with a few mid-tier titles launching this month it looks like doable. Just a reminder that 3DS had a baseline of 57K in the 8 weeks following the two giant weeks post price-drop. With 50K baseline leading up to SMO - Switch could overtake 3DS for the second time launch aligned with the launch of SMO.

After that 3DS's average is 220K per week for November/December which is going to be difficult to match by the Switch unless Nintendo supplies 2 million for Japan for those months.

LordKano

Yes, I forgot about Monster Hunter. I posted that solely on the basis of Nights of Azure 2's sales of 4,400 units.

Including MHXX actually strengthens my point - it's taken a second week to break 100k.

What are the relevant Switch third party games other than those you listed that could have broke 100k under any other conditions ?

Switch didn't drop as much as I expected for September. Good. Now to see how long it lasts.

EMD2 and Nights of Azure 2 are downright terrible, though.

I guess we can expect an increase in sales again in October with Mario Odyssey

Fiendcode

The only explanation for Atlus decisions is they are expecting big drop at sales but took the short path with reused assets and low budget, even if that devaluate their brands.

If they thought 3DS was still in position to maintain numbers of previous entries better luck next time.
Recycled assets and low budget fits well with the idea that the next EO will be a festival release.

What are the relevant Switch third party games other than those you listed that could have broke 100k under any other conditions ?

This is a fair point. 100k shouldn't be a benchmark for all third party games. Though that's more relevant to my original post than the one you quoted.

Regardless the point I was trying to make in that Switch is not looking like a 3DS successor in the region, regardless of the reasons. The market has changed, and I don't think Koei Tecmo is going to change its mind any time soon - at least based on Japan software sales. Will be interesting to see how it performs in North America and Europe.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Was expecting a larger Switch drop. Not bad.
I don't see MH legs holding up much longer, but it should cross 150k at least before it bows out I'd imagine.

Street Fighter 2 didn't break 100k either unless the under the chart growth was magical. The only third oarty release on the Switch that should have broke 100k is XX and it did. Bomberman doing 100k is a miracle lmao. People have some weird ass perspectives here.

13ruce

Banned
Splatoon 2 nearly passing Splatoon 1 sales wise cool, wich means the Japanese Splatoon audience grew. And cuz it's one of my most favorite game series ever i want to see it grow:p

And nice Switch hold.
And nice sales for a golf game.

noshten

Pretty certain that Minecraft is well beyond 100K at this point and is the best selling 3rd party game on the Switch thus far.

Oregano

Nights of Azure did worse on Switch than I expected but comparatively didn't do too badly because it cratered on the other two platforms

___

Once again, we aren't done with underperforming games, September will be a long month.

Considering the revelation even The Pokémon Company expected the Switch to be irrelevant as a mobile device I wouldn't be surprised if companies like Atlus and Capcom considered the 3DS the end of the line altogether and that's why we're getting all these low budget rehashes to milk the last drops.

Gemmol

Neo Member
Switch is truly a monster in Japan, I never thought I would see the day where a Nintendo first party in its second game ever about to outsell dragon Quest, this is Splatoon 2 second time out and its doing huge numbers, Nintendo can finally say this game is a keeper for their list of valuable franchise...............in 4 weeks or less, Splatoon 2 will pass dragon quest 11 retail sales.........now this will show Square Enix if sony want any exclusive stuff, just say no, more money to made on the Switch, let sony have monster hunter, I see the series going downhill, and not because its not on switch, I feel XX not as good as the past games.

I still have a feeling Monster Hunter XX might sell up to 200 to 300k, which would put it ahead of sony 1st party game sales

ggx2ac

___

I haven't looked at the software releases for this month. I'm going to guess this means that hardware sales for 3DS and PS4 will each remain under 30k on average per week for September.

Gemmol

Neo Member
Minecraft must definitely be past 100k.

Agreed about Super Bomberman R, I would have expected 30k tops before Switch launch.

if you look at nintendo sales chart for eshop.....minecraft been in the top 3 for weeks, so its obvious its over 100k.......im guessing its around 200k worldwide

13ruce

Banned
Damn i forget about the possibily of Splatoon actually outselling Dragon Quest in the long run legs wise.

Insane.

Edit: Note not both (+ Switch in future) DQ versions combined ofcourse tho.

Laplasakos

Nice debut for Mina no Golf. Only the PS4 version of NOA 2 did okay-ish numbers. Snack World continues with solid sales.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Including MHXX actually strengthens my point - it's taken a second week to break 100k. If you look at the eShop charts for Japan you'll see a similar pattern.

I wouldn't be surprised if SteamWorld Dig 2 on Switch underperforms relative to the 3DS version which sold the most in Japan.

Your talking about a game that under performed on the vita and would have bombed on th 3DS at any point in it's lifstyle. Do you have any idea why those sorts of games almost entirely skipped the 3DS?

LordKano

This is a fair point. 100k shouldn't be a benchmark for all third party games. Though that's more relevant to my original post than the one you quoted.

Regardless the point I was trying to make in that Switch is not looking like a 3DS successor in the region, regardless of the reasons. The market has changed, and I don't think Koei Tecmo is going to change its mind any time soon - at least based on Japan software sales. Will be interesting to see how it performs in North America and Europe.

There's nothing that point out the situation you're describing.

Street Fighter 2 didn't break 100k either unless the under the chart growth was magical. The only third oarty release on the Switch that should have broke 100k is XX and it did. Bomberman doing 100k is a miracle lmao. People have some weird ass perspectives here.

I think Capcom said that it sold 100k in Japan, but I didn't check.

Vinnk

Many Posts said:
Everybody's Golf did great!

I mean props to Minna No Golf for taking number 1 this week. But these numbers are far, far from the glory days of the series on PS1 and PS2. It even did pretty well on the PS3, Out of Boundsl did 175k it's first week.

This is a franchise on the decline.

The comparison numbers quoted were for the Vita version which was a launch title and the PS3 game was a port of the Vita game so they had excuses for their low numbers, but this is a brand new entry on a healthy platform several years in.

This is the lowest opening of a console Mina No Golf game.

I know we have lowered expectations and all but this used to be a flagship series. I am not sure what is being celebrated here.

Your talking about a game that under performed on the vita and would have bombed on th 3DS at any point in it's lifstyle. Do you have any idea why those sorts of games almost entirely skipped the 3DS?

The point I was trying to make by saying Switch is more like another PS4 is that these kinds of games have actually found an audience in North America and Europe on Switch, whereas with the 3DS the lion's share of third party software sales came from Japan.

I'm pretty sure that if Monster Hunter XX was released globally you'd see the game surpassing sales expectations in North America and Europe (going from how USFII did 500k globally, Super Bomberman R did 500k globally, Puyo Puyo Tetris is at 70k globally, several indie games are at 100k+ globally, Disgaea 5 Complete is at nearly 200k globally).

Citing games that sold 100k+ in Japan was silly and meaningless on my behalf. And I'm not really sure what LordKano is getting at now.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
The point I was trying to make by saying Switch is more like another PS4 is that these kinds of games have actually found an audience in North America and Europe on Switch, whereas with the 3DS the lion's share of third party software sales came from Japan.

3DS was weak outside Japan.

What's exactly the point you want to make, that Switch is strong?

jonno394

I'm pretty sure that if Monster Hunter XX was released globally you'd see the game surpassing sales expectations in North America and Europe (going from how USFII did 500k globally, Super Bomberman R did 500k globally, Puyo Puyo Tetris is at 70k globally, several indie games are at 100k+ globally, Disgaea 5 Complete is at nearly 200k globally).

What games, and their lack of success are making you think this of Switch?

Nobody wanted Azure, and it wouldn't have sold well on 3DS.
MHXX is a late port of a title which has already sold around 1.5m on 3DS

There are literally no major 3rd party games on Switch right now that are comparable to any that found success on 3DS.

3DS was weak outside Japan.

What's exactly the point you want to make, that Switch is strong?

Yes. Relatively so - software sales for third party games are stronger in other regions, even games that you'd traditionally have thought would flop. Disgaea 5 is the obvious one, who'd have thought it'd almost be at 200k sold? If it sold poorly globally you'd have the usual explanations about how the audience was never on Nintendo formats etc.

Nights of Azure 2 Limited Edition is sold out on Switch for what it's worth.

Alrus

MH XX's drop kinda shows it's not going to completely collapse in the coming weeks so I expect it to easily cross 200k and maybe get to 300K?

What games, and their lack of success are making you think this of Switch?

Nobody wanted Azure, and it wouldn't have sold well on 3DS.
MHXX is a late port of a title which has already sold around 1.5m on 3DS

There are literally no major 3rd party games on Switch right now that are comparable to any that found success on 3DS.

That makes the Switch more like a PS4 than a 3DS - publishers aren't treating it in the same way.

Software sales might not be the best way to explain why I don't feel the Switch is like another 3DS, but it's obvious that's the case if you look at the kind of games being made for it and the way software sales stack up across regions.

redcrayon

Think fans are sick of Etrian Odyssey games on 3DS? Because this is the SEVENTH game on the thing (if you include Persona Q) with two more on the way (PQ2 and the new EO game).

I've not seen such horrendous high quantity of an IP on the system that's not legit shovelware and even that's being given a run for its money. Atlus. STAHP! Move on!

I don't know, Call of Duty notched up at least ten releases on 360 and Assassins Creed hit around 8, but I take the thrust of your point, these are ~50 hour dungeon crawls.

EMD really didn't need a sequel. They kinda got it right as a mix of EO and Mystery Dungeon first time around.

Top Bottom