• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2012 (Sep 03 - Sep 09)

D_prOdigy

Vita's failure is so sad to see :/

Meh, I disagree.

I don't wish to light the blue touch paper here, but it reaches a point where you have to say the company behind a product just isn't helping itself. You can have a concentration as high as you like of techies on gaming forums saying how it's actually a brilliant machine and how horrifying it is that 3DS sells well and Vita doesn't, but it's becoming quite clear that, in the real world, hardly anyone wants one. As long as Sony refuses to treat it like a gaming platform that it wants to succeed, then most people will continue to not want one. It will continue to be a bad gaming platform.

meppi

I expected at least +20k sales for its second week...but these result. Why even bother ? At this point Sony has to plan a month long frame where they release a mid seller every week.

I could never count out Sony when it comes to Third party announcements, they have their ties - but at this point i really have to wonder how they can get bigger exclusives for Vita.

That would have been somewhat possible I guess.
But the people buying Miku don't strike me as the ones who secure a platforms future to say it lightly.

The Vita's problem is mostly that Sony has never understood or respected Nintendo as a competitor.
During the PSP they never really created characters/franchises/recognisable gameplay that could be brought to the next system.
In the end the Vita just looked like ''stuff'' that was shiny.

Its nothing to say about the hardware or marketing, but fact is third parties were not confident Sony could sell systems (but were that Nintendo could - see MH) and in the end theres nothing really for it. 3DS doesn't have that much support, but it does where it matters, plus if at least 1 of the big new consoles isn't out until 2014, surely some games will be tried on the 3DS just to bring in some cash flow.

It won't affect the PS4 tbh, but it might affect who customers think will support a system, and also Nintendo has the biggest market in the Japanese games industry nearly all to itself which they can use to promote their franchises and games which will also appear on the Wii-U.

Its not all the fault of the PSP era, but there was no strategy there. With Vita it was just engineers producing a box and expecting Sony to sell it. It was all as predictable as people say for the single fact that it was inevitable. They were too poor and their competitor was too good.

Sony has about eight days to announce something impressive for the system before it's pretty reasonable to assume they're never going to get notable titles again.

At that point a discontinuation (or soft discontinuation where they just let it fade out over time) would likely be the next step in about 6-12 months.

A price cut can't really revive a system if you don't have anything on the system.

I think they'd have to wait at least for the PS4 to come out and establish itself before they can admit defeat. It's not that I necessarily think the Vita has a huge impact on their home console business and perception, but dropping support for one hardware right before launching a new one seems like something they should avoid.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The Vita's problem is mostly that Sony has never understood or respected Nintendo as a competitor.
During the PSP they never really created characters/franchises/recognisable gameplay that could be brought to the next system.
In the end the Vita just looked like ''stuff'' that was shiny.

Its nothing to say about the hardware or marketing, but fact is third parties were not confident Sony could sell systems (but were that Nintendo could - see MH) and in the end theres nothing really for it. 3DS doesn't have that much support,

What. Right now it's really supported.

GimMick

- NSMB2 already back on top !
- Decent score for MP3 I guess ?
- Pokémon BW2 will break 3 millions
- Ouch at the Vita and Miku drop. Expected, but still... TGS can't come soon enough.

What. Right now it's really supported.

I meant to add 'where it matters' I just meant in the range of products but part of this could just be me sitting in my Western home now downloading old Gameboy games :D
EDIT: I did add it on second check!

User Tron

It won't affect the PS4 tbh, but it might affect who customers think will support a system

But it might affect 3rd party and their trust in Sony. They thought going with the PS3 can't be wrong. I don't think they've got the same attitude towards the PS4 as they see Vita fail (so far).

Mpl90

I meant to add 'where it matters' I just meant in the range of products but part of this could just be me sitting in my Western home now downloading old Gameboy games :D
EDIT: I did add it on second check!

Yes, because DS had so much Western support. 3DS has already the same number of big games DS ever had from the West. DS had Guitar Hero, GTA and Scribblenauts in 7 years.
3DS will have Castlevania, Epic Mickey and Scribblenauts just in the first two years. It's an evident upgrade compared to what DS had. :p

mclem

There's kind of a big discrepancy between the LTD numbers for Vita between the two trackers. By my calculation, it's about 4% difference? I think it's only around 1% for the others.

I know its been discussed a lot but man nsmb2 cratered. Vita is still a complete disaster. I dont know why anyone thought miku would change anything. Honestly the japanese market will look pretty bad for next year if wii u doesnt have sone big things announced

But it might affect 3rd party and their trust in Sony. They thought going with the PS3 can't be wrong. I don't think they've got the same attitude towards the PS4 as they see Vita fail (so far).

Oh the PS4 isn't the PS3 just as the PS3 wasn't the PS2.
Only reason devs loved Playstation was because they saw Sony as the marketing god that sold bazzilions of systems. Its funny how things turned out.

They will want more 'info' on the PS4 I suspect, and if it looks/feels like a PS3 they will likely hold back until they get more info on what Sony support will be like in the form of first parties. But overall they won't connect it to Vita; in the end third parties pulled support on it when it failed but they know the markets are very different. Especially the western devs, who couldn't care less about handhelds.

Mpl90

I know its been discussed a lot but man nsmb2 cratered. Vita is still a complete disaster. I dont know why anyone thought miku would change anything. Honestly the japanese market will look pretty bad for next year if wii u doesnt have sone big things announced

At this point surely it won't reach the DS one heights, but I think we can have a good vision of what it'll do in Japan after Holidays.

Yes, because DS had so much Western support. 3DS has already the same number of big games DS ever had from the West. DS had Guitar Hero, GTA and Scribblenauts in 7 years.
3DS will have Castlevania, Epic Mickey and Scribblenauts just in the first two years. It's an evident upgrade compared to what DS had. :p

DS also had CoDs which were surprisingly competent for the hardware. I don't think they made it big, but it was officially a bit of western support.

It also got Maddens from 05 to 09.

And of course the Lego games were pretty decent as well.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
The original 3DS is holding up against LL better than I thought it would.

Mpl90

DS also had CoDs which were surprisingly competent for the hardware. I don't think they made it big, but it was officially a bit of western support.

It also got Maddens from 05 to 09.

And of course the Lego games were pretty decent as well.

Ah well, I was talking about exclusives, since we're talking about support. DS got plenti of multi releases, some of them competent ( who said Spiderman: Web of Shadows? The CODs as you remember). 3DS has many multi releases right now too.

Relative to what the respective hardware is capable of, most of them were arguably better efforts than Declassified. Which is just embarrassing, given how much more Declassified has been hyped.

i don't know why so much people is surprised about low Vita sales...

look at the chart :
is there a new game released for Vita in top30 ? No
was a single Vita game released last week ? No

Vita doesn't need only big titles announced, it also needs a solid line-up, week after week, not a couple of week in a row with any new game released

do you think PSP could still sell 8-10k a week with only a couple of new games released every week ?
i really doubt...

ps : there are some Vita releases this week ?
you know the answer
;)

I don't so much mean it hasn't got western support, just that I don't know the full Japanese support as am not over there looking for a game to play.

In the West its more about delays in localisations thats an issue.
Fire Emblem really should be brought to 2012 now Luigi is 2013 for example.

Its unimportant and not the thread for it anyway, I just mean its hard for me to 'tell' how support feels to the customer over there.

Goffee

Banned
I...I thought Vita would have hold better. I mean, I thought this week it would have done something like 20-25k, and then in a few weeks back to normal.

But no, immediate return to reality. Christ, this thing can't live.

They've got Miss Miku touring and everything, I thought that would have dragged out a few more sales (top video)

Kazerei

Banned
TTT2 is out tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see if Tekken can reclaim its former glory.

New releases {2012.09.13}

[3DS] Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone <ETC> (Nintendo) (¥3.800)
[3DS] Medarot 7: Kabuto <RPG> (Rocket Company) (¥6.090)
[3DS] Medarot 7: Kuwagata <RPG> (Rocket Company) (¥6.090)
[3DS] Samurai Warriors: Chronicles 2nd <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥6.090)

[PSP] Accel World: Ginyoku no Kakusei # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.280)
[PSP] Accel World: Ginyoku no Kakusei [First Press Limited Edition] <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥9.430)
[PSP] Elminage Ibun: Ame no Mihashira <RPG> (Starfish SD) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Sucre Portable # <ADV> (CyberFront) (¥7.140)
[PSP] Sucre Portable [Limited Edition] <ADV> (CyberFront) (¥9.240)
[PSP] La Corda d'Oro 2f (Koei Tecmo the Best) <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥2.940)
[PSP] La Corda d'Oro 2f: Encore (Koei Tecmo the Best) <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥2.940)

[PS3] Tekken Tag Tournament 2 <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.980)
[PS3] Accel World: Ginyoku no Kakusei # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.330)
[PS3] Accel World: Ginyoku no Kakusei [First Press Limited Edition] <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥10.480)

[360] Tekken Tag Tournament 2 <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.980)

I don't so much mean it hasn't got western support, just that I don't know the full Japanese support as am not over there looking for a game to play.

In the West its more about delays in localisations thats an issue.
Fire Emblem really should be brought to 2012 now Luigi is 2013 for example.

And the last two Animal Crossing titles were released only a few weeks apart worldwide. By contrast, AC 3DS is out in November in Japan, but NOA hasn't even committed to releasing it in Q1 2013 (just the first half of the year).

i don't know why so much people is surprised about low Vita sales...

look at the chart :
is there a new game released for Vita in top30 ? No
was a single Vita game released last week ? No

Vita doesn't need only big titles announced, it also needs a solid line-up, week after week, not a couple of week in a row with any new game released

do you think PSP could still sell 8-10k a week with only a couple of new games released every week ?
i really doubt...

ps : there are some Vita releases this week ?
you know the answer
;)

People didnt expect such a huge drop from last week although it only makes sense with how many bundles were sold last week.

hachi

Banned
Need golden week asap

gold-flower.png

At this point surely it won't reach the DS one heights, but I think we can have a good vision of what it'll do in Japan after Holidays.
Ds heights? It wont even put up half that at the current rate. Hell Nintendo killed off 3d lands legs for this game.

watershed

Banned
The 3ds hardware numbers are headed back to pre LL numbers. I wonder if Nintendo expected better hardware numbers supported by NSMB2 and Brain Train? Both have underperformed and haven't boosted hardware sales. The next tests will be Art Academy and Animal Crossing. Will be interesting to watch.

Mpl90

Ds heights? It wont even put up half that at the current rate. Hell Nintendo killed off 3d lands legs for this game.

I think it can do 4 millions during the whole gen, but these Holidays will give us answers. It's better to wait for judging it, it's Mario, never underestimate it.

The 3ds hardware numbers are headed back to pre LL numbers. I wonder if Nintendo expected better hardware numbers supported by NSMB2 and Brain Train? Both have underperformed and haven't boosted hardware sales. The next tests will be Art Academy and Animal Crossing. Will be interesting to watch.

Nintendo doesn't deserve better sales if another NSMB, another Brain Training and another Animal Crossing is all they have to dish out. It's like Nintendo completely forgot that the DS' success was very much defined by innovation and releasing the right games at the right time; and it seems like there's a certain Zeitgeist Nintendo just doesn't want to let go of.

Judging a NSMB game before it's had so much as a single holiday season is foolishness. Yes, we can fairly confidently say it won't reach the original, but talk of cratering is jumping to ridiculous conclusions.

Top Bottom