• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2012 (Sep 03 - Sep 09)

Takao

Banned
The 3ds hardware numbers are headed back to pre LL numbers. I wonder if Nintendo expected better hardware numbers supported by NSMB2 and Brain Train? Both have underperformed and haven't boosted hardware sales. The next tests will be Art Academy and Animal Crossing. Will be interesting to watch.

I remember when I said that NSMB2 wouldn't push 3DS hardware sales that high due to presence of other Mario games on 3DS. I remember getting mocked for that. Seems I was kind of right (due to the launch of the XL and other software it's a bit dicey so it's no victory here, haha), though not for the same reasons.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think they'd have to wait at least for the PS4 to come out and establish itself before they can admit defeat. It's not that I necessarily think the Vita has a huge impact on their home console business and perception, but dropping support for one hardware right before launching a new one seems like something they should avoid.

Question, if Sony stopped supporting the Vita by just not developing any more games for it, would you really notice a difference?

I remember when I said that NSMB2 wouldn't push 3DS hardware sales that high due to presence of other Mario games on 3DS. I remember getting mocked for that. Seems I was kind of right (due to the launch of the XL and other software it's a bit dicey so it's no victory here, haha), though not for the same reasons.

I'm not sure that's the reason though. Could be more about the novelty of a return to 2d Marios is wearing a bit thin.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nintendo doesn't deserve better sales if another NSMB, another Brain Training and another Animal Crossing is all they have to dish out. It's like Nintendo completely forgot that the DS' success was very much defined by innovation and releasing the right games at the right time; and it seems like there's a certain Zeitgeist Nintendo just doesn't want to let go of.

You act as if its that easy to surpass or even maintain the level of success the DS had. Even if they have new innovative title, it doesn't mean that they will or can be as successful as on DS. After all the 3DS is a beefed up DS system and not something completely.

Games like 3D Land and Fire Emblem already showed projects and titles which have higher ambitions than there DS counterparts. Im sure this will continue in the future, especially once they have released the WiiU....

Takao

Banned
I'm not sure that's the reason though. Could be more about the novelty of a return to 2d Marios is wearing a bit thin.

Hence the second part of that post where I state that while the result may be some what near my prediction, the reasons behind it were not.

chris3116

I don't know if someone could back up this. I read somewhere that NSMB2 took 5 weeks to get 1 million while SM3DLand took 8 weeks. Is it true? If so, how can NSMB2 underperform compared 3D Land?

jman2050

They probably couldn't handle the irony of running another event called Vita heaven when the entire Vita project went to hell.

Hence the second part of that post where I state that while the result may be some what near my prediction, the reasons behind it were not.

Fair enough, I did think that the LL would be doing better than it was, shame it's going back to business as usual but I guess they need to worry more about sales elsewhere in the world.

cw_sasuke

I don't know if someone could back up this. I read somewhere that NSMB2 took 5 weeks to get 1 million while SM3DLand took 8 weeks. Is it true? If so, how can NSMB2 underperform compared 3D Land?

Its under performing compared to NSMB DS and NSMB Wii + expectations where much higher than for Mario 3D Land.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

We won't start comparing 2d to 3d Mario just to make numbers looks better.

Week 1
01./00. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800) - 343.492 / NEW

Week 7
03./05. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) {2011-11-03} - 174,566 / 1,011,709 (+55%)

The difference though is expectations, SM3DL has surpassed all previous 3D Mario titles which never sold as well as 2D ones in Japan, by comparison NSMB2 is selling worse then the previous 2D Mario titles which were massive successes.

Did they ever have another Sony Vita Heaven (or whatever it was called) presentation?

Nope. I have two theories* as to why it didn't happen:

1. Sony and/or the relevant third parties inexplicably decided to sit on software announcements until TGS.
2. One or more of the titles Sony intended to showcase at VGH2 was moved to other platforms or cancelled entirely.

I'm leaning more towards the latter right now, but we'll know pretty soon which is closer to the truth.

*Aside from the snarky response, which would be that Sony doesn't need a Vita Heaven event when Vita is already in heaven.

You act as if its that easy to surpass or even maintain the level of success the DS had. Even if they have new innovative title, it doesn't mean that they will or can be as successful as on DS. After all the 3DS is a beefed up DS system and not something completely.

Games like 3D Land and Fire Emblem already showed projects and titles which have higher ambitions than there DS counterparts. Im sure this will continue in the future, especially once they have released the WiiU....

We'll never know if Nintendo doesn't try.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If you were a Vita owner, seeing the current release schedule, you surely will.

Unless I'm forgetting something, they currently have LBP Vita, two ports, Killzone, and Tearaway.

So, they could essentially announce two small games for Fall 2013 sometime during the Summer along with a port and have what appears to be approximately equivalent support.

Ryuukan

Unless I'm forgetting something, they currently have LBP Vita, two ports, Killzone, and Tearaway.

So, they could essentially announce two small games for Fall 2013 sometime during the Summer along with a port and have what appears to be approximately equivalent support.

Soul Sacrifice?

cw_sasuke

We'll never know if Nintendo doesn't try.

True - but they were bleeding money the last couple quarters so i can understand that they focused on proven sellers to get the 3DS train going before launching WiiU. They also published some nice titles on the eShop.

I expect more innovative titles from 2013, once the system is established and Mii Verse is also on 3DS. But yeah i understand our arguments.

allan-bh

I expected more from NSMB 2 sales. About LL, it's not a truly hardware revision like DS Lite, so I'm not expected a continuous and expressive bump for 3DS.

Celine

I'm still of the idea that letting a "major" gaming system die quickly is a bad message you give to your base customers.
IMO they should invest more (meaning record heavier losses in this case) even if it is a lost battle.

mujun

Honest question (terrible 37 year old memory) but there were a whole bunch of people claiming that the Miku boost Vita got last week meant that the system was finally on the road to decent weekly sales, right?

NSMB2 VS 3D Land will be a very interesting Christmas watch!
Don't buy this 'NSMB2 KILLED 3D Land!' - 3D Land imo has made NSMB a bit 'old hat' on the 3D system. NSMB is better on consoles and should stay there with their 4 player madness.

One good thing will be Nintendo will bring forward new titles for 3DS as NSMB2's legs falter.

And the last two Animal Crossing titles were released only a few weeks apart worldwide. By contrast, AC 3DS is out in November in Japan, but NOA hasn't even committed to releasing it in Q1 2013 (just the first half of the year).

Its very frustrating. I'm not sure if its just to do with the WiiU, time to localise or more to do with the currency market, but were going into the second Christmas with pretty much the same games as the first :(

2012 was looking awesome but everything is just '2013(ish)'.
Maybe they want people only discussing WiiU on game sites and these games will come at quieter WiiU times? Hope so.

solarus

Sony has about eight days to announce something impressive for the system before it's pretty reasonable to assume they're never going to get notable titles again.

At that point a discontinuation (or soft discontinuation where they just let it fade out over time) would likely be the next step in about 6-12 months.

A price cut can't really revive a system if you don't have anything on the system.

I completely agree. For a system I had so much anticipation for, this is really sad to see :(

Takao

Banned
I'm still of the idea that letting a "major" gaming system die quickly is a bad message you give to your base customers.
IMO they should invest more (meaning record heavier losses in this case) even if it is a lost battle.

It's not like that would be unfounded for Sony either. The PS3 is the worst thing to happen to them, and they kept on trucking.

I know someone will chime in and say that the PS3 is more important to Sony than the Vita is. On a global scale that is certainly correct, but in Japan? PS4 shouldn't be more important than Vita if PSP to PS3 is any scale of what could happen.

Honest question (terrible 37 year old memory) but there were a whole bunch of people claiming that the Miku boost Vita got last week meant that the system was finally on the road to decent weekly sales, right?

I doubt it, some thought it might give a bump for more than a week though

If Vita owners are really Sony's base, they should just exit the gaming hardware market now.

Consumers aren't invested in the platform, and neither are third parties. Pulling the plug on Vita might result in a few heads rolling at SCE, but I really have to consider the notion that it'd have far-reaching consequences on the entirety of SCE's business - let alone the industry in general - to be wishful thinking.

CronoShot

Damn, Sony's backed into a corner. I can't see how the Vita can keep going, unless it miraculously catches on in the west with AC and CoD.

zroid

Banned

Maybe a very select few, but a "whole bunch" seems like a stretch

True - but they were bleeding money the last couple quarters so i can understand that they focused on proven sellers to get the 3DS train going before launching WiiU. They also published some nice titles on the eShop.

I expect more innovative titles from 2013, once the system is established and Mii Verse is also on 3DS. But yeah i understand our arguments.
I wouldn't say many of their DS titles were particularly risky. Most were fairly low-budget games designed around a unique idea/theme, that were accompanied by really solid marketing.

I know nsmb2 hasnt had its first holiday yet but how much exactly are people expecting to be boosted by this holiday because even if it has typical nintendo holiday sales it would be a far cry from ever reaching 4 million

I know nsmb2 hasnt had its first holiday yet but how much exactly are people expecting to be boosted by this holiday because even if it has typical nintendo holiday sales it would be a far cry from ever reaching 4 million

The prospect of the Wii U game launching this year (?) can't help much.

So will the 3DS pass the PS3 before Vita pass the Xbox 360 in lifetime sells?

The 3DS is a very safe bet in this scenario.

Weird and another reason to expect some solid support for Wii U from 3rd party.

Safe assumption that it'll share ports with ps3 and psv (if the project isn't scrapped) for the next few years.

Even if anything is announced for PSVita at TGS, it probably won't be released this financial year. Is that too late?

IMO it would be too late if it was being released this month.

Nope. I have two theories* as to why it didn't happen:

1. Sony and/or the relevant third parties inexplicably decided to sit on software announcements until TGS.
2. One or more of the titles Sony intended to showcase at VGH2 was moved to other platforms or cancelled entirely.

I'm leaning more towards the latter right now, but we'll know pretty soon which is closer to the truth.

*Aside from the snarky response, which would be that Sony doesn't need a Vita Heaven event when Vita is already in heaven.

I have another theory, I think it was just gonna be another vita heaven like the 1st one with an announcement of a mid tier game like white knight chronicles psvita and they realized no one would give a damn and cancelled it.

mclem

I don't think anyone who claimed that was particularly serious about it.

Not saying it definitely will but I've got a sneaking suspicion this post could come back to haunt you in a few years

Takao

Banned
White Knight Chronicles is dead. Probably one of the few notable SCE IPs I don't think will have much begging for future entries.

Not saying it definitely will but I've got a sneaking suspicion this post could come back to haunt you in a few years
Well i wouldn mind being completely wrong but with nsmbu looking so much better ane coming out i dont see nsmb2 having a good holiday. I mean how exactly will they market trying to get people to buy both?

Well i wouldn mind being completely wrong but with nsmbu looking so much better ane coming out i dont see nsmb2 having a good holiday

Its the holiday, during which millions of 3ds will be sold to people that can't or dont buy wii u, so which Mario game will they be buying then?

Top Bottom