• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2015 (Sep 07 - Sep 13)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Sony needs just one platform to rule in Japan

You did a very good analysis, imho, but isn't this last sentence...too much?
I mean, in the end if there is a ruler in Japan is the 3DS.
are you expecting PS4 to outpace the 3DS? are you foreseeing such a decline for NX (meant as a 3DS successor) to drop that hard, being surclassed by PS4 hw sales?
honest question.

sörine;179123498 said:
5k Famitsu, never charted in UK top 40 or Germany top 50, lol npd.

We've already seen clear PS4 failures aren't keeping Koei off the platform. The way Toukiden's going it probably dies when Vita finally does.

Toukiden PS4 probably sold reasonably well in Asia outside Japan - and that should be enough because it sold really pitiful numbers everywhere.

sörine

Banned
Failures deemed by who? You or TK? Do you even know what the expectations for such titles were?
No I don't. Please enlighten us on the specific expectations for all Koei's PS4 games. And then it'd be great if you could give the expectations for all the top 20/30 in the OP so we can legitimately discuss their performances too I guess.

I mean if 5k for a port's good enough for Koei, why aren't all their games still coming to Wii U and Xbox?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Persona 5 delayed to Summer 2016, now what's holiday title for PS4 left?

Blops3.jpg

Oregano

sörine;179124092 said:
No I don't. Please enlighten us on the specific expectations for all Koei's PS4 games. And then it'd be great if you could give the expectations for all the top 20/30 in the OP so we can legitimately discuss their performances too I guess.

I mean if 5k for a port's good enough for Koei, why aren't all their games still coming to Wii U and Xbox?

Hey remember when Capcom said Revelations met expectations? Yeah...

casiopao

wtf is happening

The savior of mobile Idolmaster is coming. It is time to move away, P&D, Monster Strike, Shironeko and CC.

Seriously though, today is the release of new character for Idolmaster Starlight Stage which is Miku Maekawa SSR. And seeing how popular she was in the recent Cinderella Anniversary Election.(She ranked second out of 50? or 60 character) I can see why the number suddenly jump that high.

And i am also not shocked at all at how good they are performing here. With how many fans watching the CInderella Girls anime second season.^_^ Shiburinnnnn, Kaede-sannnnnn.^_^

Came here to ask the same question.

Also, if 2015 holiday looks so bad for the PS4, 2016 looks good.
DQ Builders
Yakuza 6
Final Fantasy XV
Persona 5
DQ Heroes 2
Nioh
The Last Guardian
New Everybody's Golf
Dark Souls 3
Attack on Titan
Toukiden 2
Gravity Rush 2
Star Ocean 5
Uncharted 4

Year of PS4.

FFXV is one of those thing which is totally strange on that list lol.^_^

On the list here though, it is not how big the title is going to push PS4 here now. It is the number of title coming to PS4. As long the title will keep coming, PS4 will be able to keep selling for modest number there.

I mean, Gravity Rush,Uncharted, TLG and Ni-Oh is surely not huge seller title. But the fact that they exist is more important if u ask me as it will give some confidence for future buyer that this console will be supported by the whole gaming industry companies.

Idolmaster had whales on pay to play games on arcades.
Now they have $60 more to spend on microtransactions.

No way. Good production value for the game is the one thing which changes us into whales here. I mean, 3D animation for all characters here? It easily guarantee my credit card here. Wasted more than $120 for 6 SSR already here. And i don't think i am going to stop anytime soon too.T_T

Vena

DQ Builders
Yakuza 6
Final Fantasy XV
Persona 5
DQ Heroes 2
Nioh
The Last Guardian
New Everybody's Golf
Dark Souls 3
Attack on Titan
Toukiden 2
Gravity Rush 2
Star Ocean 5
Uncharted 4

Year of PS4.

I swear this list looks like 2015's list...

sörine;179129072 said:
I remember when Capcom said Dragon's Dogma beat expectations. Yeah.
Their most recent update stated that it has become a successful series for Capcom, after announcing 2.3 million WW sales LTD.

"The Dragon's Dogma franchise has become one of Capcom's successful series," the publisher said in a statement. "Cumulative sales were more than 2.3 million units at the end of June 2015."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragons-dogma-series-sales-reach-23-million-units/1100-6430483/

Not great but it isn't exactly comparable to Revelations 3DS.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, two notes.

1.) I'm trying to be nice since it's TGS, but bring the level of hostility, victimization, and standoffishness down.

2.) We have the business model for Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone. Presumably they're going to replace the game with another title at the arcades since this is incredibly generous.

From the stream the producer said they are planning to release this in full package form, including all of the over 200 songs that are in arcade. No, F2P, no DLCs. He said this is like a thank you gift for the fans.

Also it's 1080P

sörine;179124092 said:

lol

You are the on who was claiming that Kiwami was a bomb despite TK saying it was in line with expectations. Furthermore, the fact that the sequel is also on PS4 with an even more ambitious scope, Ni-Oh is a PS4 exclusive, and other upcoming TK support paints a picture of TK being satisfied with the platform and wanting to build a base there.

Their words line up with their actions and I rather look at both of those than go along with what you deem to be a bomb or success.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If you take out FFXV you'll be surprised how close it is with 2015 in term of releases.

shouldn't we add DQXI to that list?
If FFXV isn't coming out, DQXI should, or am I wrong?
I know that DQXI isn't exclusive and that the vast majority of sales will be 3DS sales, but I'd say that switching FFXV with DQXI could still make the actual 2016 PS4 list pretty relevant

casiopao

As a side note, I've been noticing that the boy band equivalents of this also seem to be doing reasonably well.

Hmmm? Which title is that? Never really seems about that kind of title here.

While, it seems on App-Annie JP, Idolmaster is now sitting on number one on top grossing lol.^_^

Vena

*list*

I think its pretty damn clear SE are making PS4 their home for not only there marquee Japanese and Western titles but also mid tier. Exclusivity is missing the point as there is clearly an audience on handhelds and for now PS3. No other system will offer such a library, making PS4 the system to go for SE's fanbase. Perhaps this will result in a better reception for all their titles on PS4.

The point I was making was that they are providing their titles on multiple platforms, and their biggest are all over the place. Unless you are the rare exception to a gamer that *must play all SE games*, you really have no explicit reason to buy a PS4 (nor would it be possible anyway). You'd do fine with a Vita. And that was my point, they are not positioning themselves solely on the PS4, they are positioning themselves as perfectly purchasable/pursue-able with the Vita (and for a good while longer, the PS3) for a good year+ more until something actually big comes out, if it even hits then.

The vast majority of your list is available off of the PS4, and of the exclusives, you can find others on other platforms not available on the PS4. As I said, I think they have a benefit of putting their games on the system given that they have big titles coming up that they could use to support, and that is a very logical path of action for them to take and I am not surprised by the actions. I still think their support is very tepid, though, and bad performances can easily lead to a change in tune.

This is akin to the discussion we had earlier about how the 3DS and its robust line-up from Nintendo (not to mention third parties) effectively undermines the WiiU and the titles it brought to market. You don't need a WiiU outside of a select "killer app" titles which were completely unknown quantities because, as I've said in the past, it isn't known quantities that make people suddenly change their inertial tendencies.

Redhood

So, two notes.

1.) I'm trying to be nice since it's TGS, but bring the level of hostility, victimization, and standoffishness down.

2.) We have the business model for Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone. Presumably they're going to replace the game with another title at the arcades since this is incredibly generous.

If its a one time purchase thing why not release a physical copy. Why go digital only? I think this will have quite a value among the fanbase.

sörine

Banned
Their most recent update stated that it has become a successful series for Capcom, after announcing 2.3 million WW sales LTD.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragons-dogma-series-sales-reach-23-million-units/1100-6430483/

Not great but it isn't exactly comparable to Revelations 3DS.
Is that a franchise total of 2.3m? Because Capcom's IR site lists DD at 1.3m and DDDA/DDO should be sub-1 million each.

All versions of Revelations 1 combined are likely close to 2.3m as well. Series total should be over 3.5m. I don't think Revelations and DD are too comparable either, one's a quick turnaround outsourced subseries the other's a major AAA internal multiyear development effort.

lol

You are the on who was claiming that Kiwami was a bomb despite TK saying it was in line with expectations. Furthermore, the fact that the sequel is also on PS4 with an even more ambitious scope, Ni-Oh is a PS4 exclusive, and other upcoming TK support paints a picture of TK being satisfied with the platform and wanting to build a base there.

Their words line up with their actions and I rather look at both of those than go along with what you deem to be a bomb or success.
I'm looking at actual sales performance when I'm making a sales evaluation. People tend to do that in sales threads. Based on everything we know on how Kiwani PS4 actually sold it's an unqualified bomba and I'd argue Koei's un-platform specific shipment IR mention and their continued commitment to PS4 despite what appear to be low sales across the board don't entirely refute that evaluation.

Mario007

Could we, for once, have an MC thread without "everything should be on Nintendo platforms" or "ps4 will take off soon, look at all the games". I don't really contribute to these threads but those comments take away from the quality discussion that goes on here that I enjoy reading.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think it's unreasonable to assess something as a bomb when a company still finds it within expectations.

The publisher could be releasing something that's barely or not even profitable with low expectations in an effort to port their technology to a platform and slowly prepare a fanbase for the future.

To take an extreme example, BioWare implied the first Dragon Age game was not profitable, which isn't shocking given its 5+ year development cycle and the fact it basically launched at $30 due to day one sales that persisted throughout the holiday season.

However, it became EA's fastest selling new IP ever and by the time Dragon Age 3 rolled around, it sold so well (both unit and especially average sale price wise) that EA significantly raised their sales guidance for the fiscal year due to its performance despite it costing quite the pretty penny.

This would not change the first game technically being a bomb however, even if it achieved a publisher's goals for other reasons.

L~A

If its a one time purchase thing why not release a physical copy. Why go digital only? I think this will have quite a value among the fanbase.

Just my two cents, but maybe they don't want the game to end up being sold for dirt cheap in used stores?

Maybe they don't want players to say "Hey, why should I spend 70$ on that new game where I'll be milked dry with over-priced DLC when I can have 200 awesome songs for 20 bucks?"

Especially since both were announced so close to each other.

sörine;179132738 said:
I'm looking at actual sales performance when I'm making a sales evaluation. People tend to do that in sales threads. Based on everything we know on how Kiwani PS4 actually sold it's an unqualified bomba and I'd argue Koei's un-platform specific shipment IR mention and their continued commitment to PS4 despite what appear to be low sales across the board don't entirely refute that evaluation.

Don't act like you are the only one who has the capability to look at numbers. Everyone in this thread does. Its important to contextualise numbers not just look at them.

I'd argue that TK did not expect much from these ports and that they did not perform disastrously hence TK are just continuing with their dev plans.

The point I was making was that they are providing their titles on multiple platforms, and their biggest are all over the place. Unless you are the rare exception to a gamer that *must play all SE games*, you really have no explicit reason to buy a PS4 (nor would it be possible anyway). You'd do fine with a Vita. And that was my point, they are not positioning themselves solely on the PS4, they are positioning themselves as perfectly purchasable/pursue-able with the Vita (and for a good while longer, the PS3) for a good year+ more until something actually big comes out, if it even hits then.

The vast majority of your list is available off of the PS4, and of the exclusives, you can find others on other platforms not available on the PS4. As I said, I think they have a benefit of putting their games on the system given that they have big titles coming up that they could use to support, and that is a very logical path of action for them to take and I am not surprised by the actions. I still think their support is very tepid, though, and bad performances can easily lead to a change in tune.

This is akin to the discussion we had earlier about how the 3DS and its robust line-up from Nintendo (not to mention third parties) effectively undermines the WiiU and the titles it brought to market. You don't need a WiiU outside of a select "killer app" titles which were completely unknown quantities because, as I've said in the past, it isn't known quantities that make people suddenly change their inertial tendencies.

Tepid support really? I don't think anyone expected PS4 to get so many SE games let alone 5 DQ games.
Exclusivity for all those titles was never really viable considering how PS4 is doing in Japan now and handhelds having a notable base. SE are doing the next best thing and placing all their titles on it to build a base.

Could we, for once, have an MC thread without "everything should be on Nintendo platforms" or "ps4 will take off soon, look at all the games". I don't really contribute to these threads but those comments take away from the quality discussion that goes on here that I enjoy reading.

Everything was NX

ZhugeEX

Banned
sörine;179132738 said:

Low sales on PS4 is to be expected for the games that Koei Tecmo have released on the platform.

They are a bit lower than I'd have liked tbh but that's not to say future titles will sell like that.

sörine;179132738 said:
Is that a franchise total of 2.3m? Because Capcom's IR site lists DD at 1.3m and DDDA/DDO should be sub-1 million each.

All versions of Revelations 1 combined are likely close to 2.3m as well. Series total should be over 3.5m. I don't think Revelations and DD are too comparable either, one's a quick turnaround outsourced subseries the other's a major AAA internal multiyear development effort.
The number is likely for DD and the Dark Arisen expansion, not counting DDO which is a separate thing. AFAIK, it had passed 1 million downloads unless I am remembering it wrong.

Dark Arisen was sold as a full game that also had the expansion AFAIK. So it is not counted separately rather with the main game.

Sandfox

so you mean that they will go to NX? no more sony handheld in the future...

of course sony started to compete with Nintendo but if it was not for MH boom what would we discuss to?
I meant that during this generation sony dropped the "handheld ball", they realized mobile rose a large part of the market and after PS4 slow start (despite the premise) they probably realized it's better to focus resources to only one platform (don't forget PS4 took more than one year to have better LTD than the Dreamcast and it's far behind the Gamecube, not properly two successful platforms...)
so first we had the "local transition", from PS3 to PS4 and after MGSV results it can be considered done, so now it's time to "niche transition", bringing as much as possible Vita games.
Danganrompa was never released to home, the third chapter will be sold on PS4 too; GE the same, they are just preparing the path to follow
S-E made the first step, now other medium companies like Spike-Chinsoft are doing the same; if customers will "follow the path" other companies will make the step and the transition will be complete
Sony needs just one platform to rule in Japan
I don't know where they will end up, but I don't see too many handheld gamers just moving to consoles in Japan.

Busaiku

Well, that kinda surprising except for Idolmaster Side M there.^_^

As, it seems most of the game is done by Voltage Inc, Cybird and CGRest Inc. Which seems to be more specially focus on otome market.
It shouldn't be too surprising.
This was/is a market largely underserved (in terms of products specifically targeting them) in many entertainment media outside of comics, but made up a large portion of those audiences.

Mory Dunz

Persona 5 delayed to Summer 2016, now what's holiday title for PS4 left?

CoD

DQ Builders
Yakuza 6
Final Fantasy XV
Persona 5
DQ Heroes 2
Nioh
The Last Guardian
New Everybody's Golf
Dark Souls 3
Attack on Titan
Toukiden 2
Gravity Rush 2
Star Ocean 5
Uncharted 4

Year of PS4.

lol at FFXV.
It's late 2017

sörine

Banned
Don't act like you are the only one who has the capability to look at numbers. Everyone in this thread does. Its important to contextualise numbers not just look at them.

I'd argue that TK did not expect much from these ports and that they did not perform disastrously hence TK are just continuing with their dev plans.
I'm not? Anyone can look at sales and draw their own conclusions and I've never implied otherwise. That's sort of the point of these threads.

Contextualizing numbers also isn't the same as ignoring them while pointing to company statements to discredit any level of evaluation at all.

Low sales on PS4 is to be expected for the games that Koei Tecmo have released on the platform.

They are a bit lower than I'd have liked tbh but that's not to say future titles will sell like that.
I can agree on that, I expect the Musou base to transition eventually although it may shrink a little further in the process. I don't see much future for Toukiden on PS4 long term though. When Vita's gone I doubt the console can support that franchise on it's own.

The number is likely for DD and the Dark Arisen expansion, not counting DDO which is a separate thing. AFAIK, it had passed 1 million downloads unless I am remembering it wrong.

Dark Arisen was sold as a full game that also had the expansion AFAIK. So it is not counted separately rather with the main game.
Dark Arisen is below a million though as June 30th and vanilla DD is 1.3m. The numbers don't really add up given they say the "more than 2.3m" figure is from the end of June.

wtf is happening

idols saving japan

interesting there's only one idol game up there, sidem, and I actually imagine it might be higher since the ios app is still new (android version been out longer) and most people probably still play on mobage

surprised the other boy idol games aren't up there (enstars, aichu, idolish 7)

/knows my idol boys

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
idols saving japan

interesting there's only one idol game up there, sidem, and I actually imagine it might be higher since the ios app is still new (android version been out longer) and most people probably still play on mobage

surprised the other boy idol games aren't up there (enstars, aichu, idolish 7)

/knows my idol boys

There is one other that was well within the Top 100 during its event, but I'm having issues finding it since I can't read the titles.

There is one other that was well within the Top 100 during its event, but I'm having issues finding it since I can't read the titles.

the big-ish ones I know of are:

ensemble stars = あんさんぶるスターズ
ai chuu: アイ☆チュウ
idolish seven = アイドリッシュセブン

of course, there's like 4 more boy idol games that been announced recently lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
the big-ish ones I know of are:

ensemble stars = あんさんぶるスターズ
ai chuu: アイ☆チュウ
idolish seven = アイドリッシュセブン

of course, there's like 4 more boy idol games that been announced recently lol
Thanks for the list.

That first one is very successful:

ensembleatu0n.png

Still not really understanding what viable means in the context you're using it. If it wasn't a viable project and SQEX didn't see some kind of gain from making it then they wouldn't green light it surely?

Of course SQEX thinks those projects are viable. Nevertheless, companies fail to be forward-looking all the time - and SQEX has been one of the most shortsighted companies of the past years. It'd not be weird of them to fail to see which project is viable or not, but I think sales will speak for themselves.

Immediate sales aren't always the sole objective behind the development of a game, as you can probably see with Dragon Quest XI getting a PS4 SKU. If Square Enix want people to buy a PS4, then a collective high volume of JRPG's back to back MAY be the ticket in salvaging a little bit of whats left of the console space in Japan, while also throwing western fans a bone.

Why should SQEX care about that (unless there are specific agreements with the hw manufacturer)?

It make not work at all, but at this point, it's probably worth a shot in their eyes. You don't build a market by sitting there ummm-ing and arrgh-ing after all.

The point is, I don't the market, and I don't see the market existing in a few years, especially in Western countries for those types of games.

test_account

XP-39C²
Of course SQEX thinks those projects are viable. Nevertheless, companies fail to be forward-looking all the time - and SQEX has been one of the most shortsighted companies of the past years. It'd not be weird of them to fail to see which project is viable or not, but I think sales will speak for themselves.
What should Square Enix do different to not be concidered as a short sighted company in your opinion? And what makes them short sighted?

CoD

lol at FFXV.
It's late 2017

No. It isn't. You keep saying this in threads like it's a fact. It's not. Just stop.

Why should SQEX care about that (unless there are specific agreements with the hw manufacturer)?

The point is, I don't the market, and I don't see the market existing in a few years, especially in Western countries for those types of games.

So you, Pennywise, one of the most prolific media create sales thread regulars, is honestly asking me why a software manufacturer would want consumers to buy hardware? Christ almighty. I'm going to let you think about that before I even bother answering.

sörine;179164385 said:
I don't see SE as shortsighted, their strategy is really longterm. It's just the wrong strategy.

So what is the right one?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Which part of their overall corporate strategy do people find problematic? It has like eight layers.

• Make lots of AAA, multiplatform Western games at Eidos studios.
  • Support several MMOs developed internally in Japan.
  • Release many f2p mobile games made both internally and externally in Japan.
  • Work on online f2p PC games in the West (targeted the West) and Japan (targeting Asia?) externally.
  • Develop mid-tier (A or AA) games in Japan for consoles and handhelds with internal teams for genres they're familiar with and externally for genres they're not (barring situations like Minecraft where no one knows how to do it).
  • Explore paid downloadable games in both the West and Japan on a variety of platforms.
  • Reinvest in their arcade business and release some of their arcade games on PC and/or console.
  • Port and remaster their old games to a wide variety of systems.

Eolz

I think people forget that S-E is more than just the JRPGs they're showing.
Eidos is now a big part of the equation, and they're making some nice profit from their mobile games. It's just that they're finally showing a bit more interest in JRPGs again, unlike previous years.

Nothing much to say on their global strategy now imo. Again, wouldn't have said the same thing some years ago.

Top Bottom