• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2017 (Sep 11 - Sep 17)

L~A

Nintendo eShop Sales: Sept. 14 - Sept. 20 2017

Nintendo eShop – Nintendo Switch

(+1) 01. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Mojang) [12.5.2017]
(N) 02. NBA 2K18 (Take-Two) [15.9.2017]
(+2) 03. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) [28.4.2017]
(N) 04. Pan-Pan: A tiny big adventure (Flyhigh Works) [14.9.2017]
(-4) 05. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (Bandai-Namco) [07.9.2017] (launch discount)
(=) 06. Snipperclips: Cut it out, together! (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
(-4) 07. Monster Hunter XX Nintendo Switch Ver. (Capcom) [25.08.2017]
(N) 08. Kingdom: New Land (Raw Fury) [14.9.2017]
(N) 09. FAST RMX (Shin'en Multimedia) [14.9.2017]
(-3) 10. Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) [21.7.2017]

Nintendo eShop – Nintendo 3DS

(N) 01. Pokémon Silver Version (The Pokémon Company) [22.9.2017]
(N) 02. Pokémon Gold Version (The Pokémon Company) [22.9.2017]
(N) 03. Metroid: Samus Returns (Nintendo) [15.9.2017]
(-3) 04. Dragon Quest Ⅲ (Square-Enix) [24.8.2017]
(-3) 05. Dragon Quest II (Square-Enix) [10.8.2017]
(-3) 06. The Battle Cats POP (Ponos) [31.5.2015]
(-3) 07. Kirby’s Blowout Blast (Nintendo) [04.7.2017]
(+1) 08. Picross e7 (Jupiter) [27.4.2016] (currently on sale)
(B) 09. Picross e5 (Jupiter) [11.6.2014] (currently on sale)
(-4) 10. Ice Station Z (Wobbly Tooth) [05.4.2017]

Nintendo eShop – Wii U

(=) 01. Cube Life: Pixel Action Heroes (Teyon Japan) [09.8.2017]
(=) 02. Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Microsoft) [17.12.2015]
(=) 03. Splatoon (Nintendo) [28.5.2015]
(=) 04. Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day / Dr. Kawashima’s Brain Training: How Old Is Your Brain? (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [05.8.2015]
(+4) 05. Kirby Super Star (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [01.5.2013]
(N) 06. The Girl and the Robot (Cross-Function) [13.9.2017]
(-1) 07. Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) [29.5.2014]
(+2) 08. Super Mario World (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.4.2013]
(-1) 09. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
(B) 10. Bomberman '94 (Konami, Virtual Console) [19.11.2014]

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/9659b4d6-99d3-11e7-8cda-063b7ac45a6d.html

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I wonder if Minecraft switch can hit retail before any other significant third party game and easily become the best selling one

Speaking of which

Is MH XX already the best selling third party game on switch? Low bar of course

ggx2ac

I wonder if Minecraft switch can hit retail before any other significant third party game and easily become the best selling one

Speaking of which

It's outsold Super Bomberman R, so yes.

Zedark

Speaking of which

Think so. Next biggest would be Bomberman. Did that pass 100k in the end?
all of this at the mercy of the non-physical release of Minecraft, of course

Preorders for MHW seem strong, could anyone compare with the start of DQXI PS4?

Still thinking MHW will either be the best selling PS4 game or just miss beating DQXI. I'm gonna go on the high side and say 1.7-1.8 million life time in Japan.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Geez, what IS it with Japan and crazy clearance deals all the time? I'm so jealous! :p

Price clearance is only for games that are overstocked and fail massively to meet retailers' expectations, they don't happen all the time. Overestimating demand is as usual as underestimating it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Still thinking MHW will either be the best selling PS4 game or just miss beating DQXI. I'm gonna go on the high side and say 1.7-1.8 million life time in Japan.
That's likely if they treat it as a GAAS title this might be the only PS4 title this gen so it will sell for quite a while and be the definitive MH experience for anyone interested.

It should have much longer legs than DQXI and FFXV for example.

Kyoufu

I think MHW being exclusive and not competing with a handheld version *should* mean better performance than DQXI, but it's hard to predict.

brutaka3

Neo Member
I haven't seen anyone talking about this, but the new Atelier is also coming to Steam.

https://youtu.be/SZstop7TfYM

Talking about that, in the video it only says PS4 and PC. I noticed that the only place where the Switch version has been acknowledge was in Famitsu. Probably KT doesn't think that it could sell on Switch?

D.Lo

I think MHW being exclusive and not competing with a handheld version *should* mean better performance than DQXI, but it's hard to predict.
MH is a bigger brand than DQ today (though not as storied/old).

In MHW's favour:
Exclusive
first big step the series has taken in years
Looks great
GAAS so will stay relevant and not be sold/available second hand

Against MHW
On console when MH is clearly more popular on handheld
Is at least to some extent clearly 'westernised' which may be seen as a negative by Japanese fanbase
May get its legs cut off by a Switch MH5

I think it has a shot at being the #1 game on PS4. 1.5m. It's Japan's #1 game brand of the last few years really, I would think that alone would get it there.

I think 1-1.5m LTD is my current estimate. Maybe MH on consoles have grown a little since Tri on Wii or maybe not.

I'm more interested in how it performs in the West since that's where a lot of ground needs to be made up for the lost sales in Japan.

D.Lo

I'm more interested in how it performs in the West since that's where a lot of ground needs to be made up for the lost sales in Japan.
Yeah, who knows. It's basically a new franchise launch as far as the PS4Bone audience is concerned. But Capcom is betting the farm on it so it will likely at least ship 2m IMO.

Yeah, who knows. It's basically a new franchise launch as far as the PS4Bone audience is concerned. But Capcom is betting the farm on it so it will likely at least ship 2m IMO.
I do expect it to do better than MH4U and MHG primarily because the potential audience is larger, but by how much is the question, and is what's key to whether or not this is a worthwhile investment. I think if they can ship 2m and sell through much of that then they have a pretty solid foundation to further build on the audience for console MH.

In Japan the ceiling is obviously low due to vastly different market conditions and it does beg the question of what Capcom has in store for the audience they're leaving behind with MHW.

Kyoufu

In MHW's favour:
Exclusive
Looks great

Against MHW
Is at least to some extent clearly 'westernised' which may be seen as a negative by Japanese fanbase

I think it has a shot at being the #1 game on PS4. 1.5m. It's Japan's #1 game brand of the last few years really, I would think that alone would get it there.

You know, the only people I've seen say this are the idiots here on GAF.

Japanese reception today at TGS has been very positive.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Preorders for Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon and Pokeball 2DS opened today. Everything, big and small, for this year in now available.

Reservations for Limited Editions for MHW were covered at gamesmaya.

D.Lo

I do expect it to do better than MH4U and MHG primarily because the potential audience is larger, but by how much is the question, and is what's key to whether or not this is a worthwhile investment. I think if they can ship 2m and sell through much of that then they have a pretty solid foundation to further build on the audience for console MH.
I'd say 2M is a failure. The PS2/PSP/Wii/3DS games were always 1-2 years later in the west if they came out at all (often waiting for the G version before any release) and the 1.5 year late MH4 still got to a million. All this extra budget and effort needs to result in significant overall gains for this entry, even if they monetise more heavily with GAAS Loot box crap or whatever.

That said, maybe the Japanese release can do 2 million if it strikes a chord. Maybe it was just the 'casual' Wii that held the last home console entry back.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Week 38, 2017 (Sep 18 - Sep 24)

Bic Camera lotteries September 24

Nintendo Switch Splatoon 2 Set - 0 (1 store)
Nintendo Switch Neon Blue/Neon Red - 0 (9 stores)
Nintendo Switch Gray - 0 (7 stores)
Total - 0 (17 stores)

This was last week:

Week 37, 2017 (Sep 11 - Sep 17)

Bic Camera lotteries September 17

Nintendo Switch Splatoon 2 Set - 700 (6 stores)
Nintendo Switch Neon Blue/Neon Red - 600 (5 stores)
Nintendo Switch Gray - 400 (4 stores)
Total - 1.700 (15 stores)

It looks that a small rise at shipments could happen and Splatoon 2 bundle is almost gone.

L~A

Retailers also managed to sell almost the entire initial shipment of Monster Strike after more than a year. That must be a big victory for them.

They have? Almost 2 years, heh.

I haven't seen anyone talking about this, but the new Atelier is also coming to Steam.

Talking about that, in the video it only says PS4 and PC. I noticed that the only place where the Switch version has been acknowledge was in Famitsu. Probably KT doesn't think that it could sell on Switch?

That's Koei Tecmo Taiwan, so it's because there's no Switch release there.

Switch is clearly mentioned on the JP website: http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/atelier/lydie/

In MHW's favour:
Exclusive
Looks great

Against MHW

I actually saw those "westernized" comments on the niconico stream.But tbf,it could come from rabbid nintendo fanboys in Japan,considering Nintendo is much more popular in Japan than the rest of the world

D.Lo

I actually saw those "westernized" comments on the niconico stream.But tbf,it could come from rabbid nintendo fanboys in Japan,considering Nintendo is much more popular in Japan than the rest of the world
I don't read Japanese well enough to read that stuff quickly enough, but what I meant there is I can see why a local hardcore fan could be pissed, Nintendo fan or otherwise? I think while the game looks fantastic it's clearly westernised even if just in platform choice: Japan likes portables a lot, Japan likes MH on portables more than anything else in the market, Japan doesn't like PS4/Xbox very much, Capcom says 'fuck you it's going on the successful-in-America boxes'.

It would sort of like if Resident Evil 7 or something like was released on 3DS in 2015 because they were chasing 'potential sales on the successful-in-Japan 3DS' at the expense of the series mainstay: western home console fans. Western RE fans would lose their shit at that too.

I don't read Japanese well enough to read that stuff quickly enough, but what I meant there is I can see why a local hardcore fan could be pissed, Nintendo fan or otherwise? I think while the game looks fantastic it's clearly westernised even if just in platform choice: Japan likes portables a lot, Japan likes MH on portables more than anything else in the market, Japan doesn't like PS4/Xbox very much, Capcom says 'fuck you it's going on the successful-in-America boxes'.

It would sort of like if Resident Evil 7 or something like was released on 3DS in 2015 because they were chasing 'potential sales on the successful-in-Japan 3DS' at the expense of the series mainstay: western home console fans. Western RE fans would lose their shit at that too.

Didn't they lose their shit when RER was announced for the 3ds?

mao2

It would sort of like if Resident Evil 7 or something like was released on 3DS (in 2015) because they were chasing 'potential sales on the successful-in-Japan 3DS' at the expense of the series mainstay: western home console fans. Western RE fans would lose their shit at that too.
With the exception of 4, Monster Hunter has been on both home and portable consoles in the past. I don't see how this is "clearly Westernized".

D.Lo

spin off, not main numbered entry.

With the exception of 4, Monster Hunter has been on both home and portable consoles in the past. I don't see how this is "clearly Westernized".
While technically true you know that’s not the actual point right? It has been handheld first and handheld dominated in sales since MHP2G really, and that was fully formalised in 4.

L~A

No? Only thing people ranted about was the absurd price initially announced (before it was lowered). Certainly don't remember anything else.

Well, maybe the 2 guys that were still waiting for the elusive PSP Resident Evil were pissed, I dunno *shrugs*

Laplasakos

I don't read Japanese well enough to read that stuff quickly enough, but what I meant there is I can see why a local hardcore fan could be pissed, Nintendo fan or otherwise? I think while the game looks fantastic it's clearly westernised even if just in platform choice: Japan likes portables a lot, Japan likes MH on portables more than anything else in the market, Japan doesn't like PS4/Xbox very much, Capcom says 'fuck you it's going on the successful-in-America boxes'

MH true fans and people who enjoy videogames and not console wars don't have any reason to be pissed.

VOEZ has been downloaded 40k times worldwide, retail version coming early next year in Japan (with button controls and additional stuff).

https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201709220031/

I'll double-dip anyways (I really enjoyed the game and a physical version is always nice to have), but will those button controls be exclusive to the physical version? Because that would kinda suck...

The Switch will release in Taiwan on December 1st, so it kinda sucks that they're skipping the Switch version, but I can understand it. I think Switch will miss out only on the Asian release/localisation tho, because the market is small there anyways and the Switch will be out for only a couple of months when the game releases, so its install base will be next to zero. In the west, the install base is a lot bigger. Of course, they can await initial success/failure of Nights of Azure 2 on Switch in the west, but I think they'll just announce it for NSW/PC/PS4 in the west regardless.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Honestly.... MHW on console or specific the PS4 makes a lot of sense on many levels... It is the console you target of you wanna bring a IP to the console market.... West or east.

The whole situation looks a bit suboptimal because Switch seems like the perfect system where they could have kept the IP on a potable while providing for the fans who wanna play it on the big screen as well. It doesn't help that the system is selling quite well.

Capcom x Nintendo still will have a strong relationship and they surely have plans for future MH releases on Switch... It just looks worse than it is because Switch would have been a obvious fit.

It def. feels like Capcom and Level 5 where thinking that the System wouldn't perform like it does right now and Nintendo would introduce a 3DS succesor in like 12-18 months, which would have been a system they would be able to get behind. Otherwise the lousy release schedule doesn't make any sense and they would have tried to release more of the 3DS catalogue on Switch too. MH Stories western sales would have benefited from a Switch release or they could have brought Ace Attorney HD titles to Switch when they already have them on mobile.

Well enough said... The plans for this fiscal year were set in stone before we knew Switch would be selling like this. I assume companies like Capcom will be ready for the next FY stating April, too late for major changes right now with RE7 Gold, MvC, Okamoto, Dragons Dogma and MHW.

duckroll

So TGS has basically wrapped up announcements by now. Another rather ho hum year for Japan in general. The biggest console titles are clearly games which depend heavily on international support, JP-centric stuff isn't making much of a "resurgence" despite stuff like P5 and Nier Automata doing great overseas. Switch gets games which are on PS4/Vita, but doesn't get games which are PS4/PC. Vita starting to be completely phased out by Sony themselves. Nintendo isn't traditionally at TGS, Cygames is big enough to have their own conference events now rather than attending TGS, and stuff like KH3 and FFVIIR were no shows again as expect.

The entire Japanese industry feels like it's going through another lethargic phase after pooping out heavy hitters in the first half of the year. Interesting to see how even in late 2017, Sega/Atlus is showing really weak commitment to the Switch. It sticks out to me in particular because these are also the sort of PS4 titles which you can't say won't run on a Switch, lol. When you're putting a Dragon's Crown remaster on PS4 for almost 80 dollars, it's hard to say there wouldn't be as much of a market for a portable version of the game that actually runs in HD. Not to mention with two built in controllers for multiplayer on the go. Weird eh?

tbf those comments are more than those fanboys on n4g instead of traditional monster hunter fans
Breath of the Wild won the TGS Award.

"We don't attend TGS, except for taking awards."
At least you could say that Nintendo actually attends TGS this year

No? Only thing people ranted about was the absurd price initially announced (before it was lowered). Certainly don't remember anything else.

Well, maybe the 2 guys that were still waiting for the elusive PSP Resident Evil were pissed, I dunno *shrugs*

Just checking the RER announcement thread everyone seemed civil . maybe it was just the forum I was on at the time.

Vita still had a token montage last year iirc. :p

I guess. When they had big trailers for the new Senran Kagura and Ys games that said "coming to PS4!" (and then had Vita included in the small print at the end) was when phasing out started, lol.

Just like 13 Sentinels and Virtual On this year in fact!

Branduil

It def. feels like Capcom and Level 5 where thinking that the System wouldn't perform like it does right now and Nintendo would introduce a 3DS succesor in like 12-18 months, which would have been a system they would be able to get behind. Otherwise the lousy release schedule doesn't make any sense and they would have tried to release more of the 3DS catalogue on Switch too. MH Stories western sales would have benefited from a Switch release or they could have brought Ace Attorney HD titles to Switch when they already have them on mobile.

Well enough said... The plans for this fiscal year were set in stone before we knew Switch would be selling like this. I assume companies like Capcom will be ready for the next FY stating April, too late for major changes right now with RE7 Gold, MvC, Okamoto, Dragons Dogma and MHW.

It seems pretty clear to me that Capcom went all in on expecting the Switch to be Wii U 2.0.

Overall I'd say the biggest surprise regarding the Switch and 3rd parties is definitely how slow Japanese 3rd parties have been to react to its success, in contrast to the shockingly strong support from western 3rd parties like Bethesda.

H13

So theres no more TGS announcement after today?
This is disappointing, december I guess, for PSX and nintendo direct for new announcements

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
You know, the only people I've seen say this are the idiots here on GAF.

Wow.

Btw, I agree with those saying that it has the potential to be in line with DQXI PS4 version.
Its not-portable-nature (possibly a weakness for what has been a strenght of the MH franchise in the past 10 years) will be compensated by it being exclusive in Japan (not counting the One version, for obvious reasons)

ggx2ac

So did anyone post already that Nintendo will be selling Smartphone cases which look like the phones in Splatoon? Oh, and there's Zelda as well.

More pics in the link:

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/dddcf289-99e3-11e7-8cda-063b7ac45a6d.html

00000808_820_461.jpg

Zalman

Pretty boring TGS announcement-wise, but I wasn't expecting much to begin with. As others have mentioned, most big studios wrapped up their projects recently. It will be interesting to see what happens next year in terms of new titles as well as the state of the Switch.

test_account

XP-39C²
While technically true you know that’s not the actual point right? It has been handheld first and handheld dominated in sales since MHP2G really, and that was fully formalised in 4.
I dont think using the word "westernized" is a good fit just because its on a console. It would be the same saying that a game is being "japanified" because its being released on a handheld, just because handhelds are more popular than consoles in Japan. MHW might come to Switch too later on, who knows.

Top Bottom