• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2017 (Sep 11 - Sep 17)

Fukuzatsu

Aside from my own, the only Switches I have seen are the ones sold on launch day, and one that I saw get sold to a pre-teen at my nearby Geo. I decided to not got to TGS this year, because I hate the long trip to Makuhari, but I imagine if I did I would have seen some there.

It's pretty much all smartphones on the train now though. If I go to Ikebukuro I know I will see tons of people with 3DSes there, but on the train, I see one maybe once a week.

Hmm, so perhaps not that far off then. I ride the metro to work so maybe a lack of seats only exacerbates preference for smaller devices, I don't know.

I feel you on that trip to Makuhari though. At one point I was sent to Tokyo Bay Makuhari for a training mission only to find out the damn place was actually in Chiba.

Lol. Pokken is also outselling mahvel in japan too lol.

ComG! sales too, pokken 71 pt, MvCI 15 pt.

Rakuten too:

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 38, 2017 (Sep 18 - Sep 24)

01./01. (013./005.) [PS4] Winning Eleven 2018 <SPT> (Konami)
02./00. (014./000.) [NSW] Pokkén Tournament DX <FTG> (Pokémon Co.)
03./00. (020./000.) [PS4] NBA 2K18 <SPT> (Take-Two)
04./14. (022./041.) [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)
05./10. (027./026.) [3DS] Metroid: Samus Returns <ACT> (Nintendo)
06./11. (029./029.) [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
07./18. (030./081.) [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
08./09. (031./020.) [PS4] Everybody's Golf <SPT> (Sony Interactive)
09./05. (032./013.) [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
10./08. (033./019.) [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
11./00. (045./000.) [PS4] Yakuza: Kiwami (New Price Edition) <ADV> (Sega)
12./04. (047./010.) [3DS] Metroid: Samus Returns (Special Edition) <ACT> (Nintendo)
13./15. (049./059.) [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
14./00. (050./000.) [PS4] Project Cars 2 <RCE> (Bandai Namco)
15./00. (054./000.) [NSW] Dragon Quest X: All in One Package <RPG> (Square Enix)
16./00. (057./000.) [PS4] Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite <FTG> (Capcom)

Been catching up on this thread, Well I'm hoping Fire Emblem Warriors does well.

Would really like a sequel with characters from my favorites FE games.

Aters

Nintendo just announced Breath of the Wild Chinese version. Any version of the game can be updated to support Simplified/Traditional Chinese. Mario Kart 8DX and Mario Odyssey have confirmed Chinese support before, and there is rumor of XB2 Chinese localization.

Nintendo is serious about cracking Chinese market this time.

Nintendo just announced Breath of the Wild Chinese version. Any version of the game can be updated to support Simplified/Traditional Chinese. Mario Kart 8DX and Mario Odyssey have confirmed Chinese support before, and there is rumor of XB2 Chinese localization.

If only they care about SEA as well

Cerium

Source?

ggx2ac

We don't know when and if Nintendo will crack the Chinese market, this is technically for Hong Kong and Taiwan (which Switch will launch in Taiwan on December 1st).

We could find out Nintendo's plans in October during their financial briefing. Don't know if Kimishima will dodge the question though since investors/analysts are crazily speculating about it.

Check the Nintendo Hong Kong website.

Aters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5mftsnuV9o

Aonuma greeting in Chinese is GOAT.

We don't know when and if Nintendo will crack the Chinese market, this is technically for Hong Kong and Taiwan (which Switch will launch in Taiwan on December 1st).

We could find out Nintendo's plans in October during their financial briefing. Don't know if Kimishima will dodge the question though since investors/analysts are crazily speculating about it.

If it's only for Taiwan and HK, then there's no need for Simplified Chinese support. Mainland China has a far bigger market than Taiwan and HK. I think PSP sold like 3 to 6 million in China alone, with no official support at all.

casiopao

If only they care about SEA as well

Well, thats what happen when we are literally under the tyranny of Maxsoft lol......wait, Ninty dont even recognize my country.T-T

Looking forward to the charts.

So many tears and pain is going to fall lol.

Koei and Capcom tears.

I dont think Switch have launched in China right? So this will be a move for Hong Kong and Taiwan more i feel. But i feel Nintendo should really tries making mainland China branch to try penetrate that market.

Considering how huge Nintendo IP's in China as there is tons of counterfeit, i feel they had better chances of targetting family friendly demographic.

ggx2ac

vern

Well, thats what happen when we are literally under the tyranny of Maxsoft lol......wait, Ninty dont even recognize my country.T-T

So many tears and pain is going to fall lol.

Koei and Capcom tears.

I dont think Switch have launched in China right? So this will be a move for Hong Kong and Taiwan more i feel. But i feel Nintendo should really tries making mainland China branch to try penetrate that market.

Considering how huge Nintendo IP's in China as there is tons of counterfeit, i feel they had better chances of targetting family friendly demographic.

I've mentioned a few times but Switches are widely available in china at every electronics mall and on taobao, despite not having an official release. An official release wouldn't change the situation much aside from having an actual RRP instead of forcing consumers to negotiable the price with the sellers.

Aters

Even the HK and Taiwan versions of the console do not have Chinese UI. I don't think Nintendo is ready for mainland China launch any time soon. You can't sell something in China without Chinese UI, that shit won't fly.

That and Nintendo has to partner with a Chinese company to be able to sell their products there so they have a bit of an uphill climb.

Nintendo always has a partner in China though. That's how they sold DS in China under the console ban.

casiopao

I've mentioned a few times but Switches are widely available in china at every electronics mall and on taobao, despite not having an official release. An official release wouldn't change the situation much aside from having an actual RRP instead of forcing consumers to negotiable the price with the sellers.

Still an official release is going to be much more preferable as it will allow Nintendo to actually response and provide services to Switch owner directly.

The only guarantee u got if u buy Switch now in mainland in China is store guarantee which is never as safe as original company service.

Also by releasing it themselves, Nintendo will be able to push harder on marketting the product this time and try getting more mass market audience as right now, as how many Switch is there under third party reseller is no use as the mass casual market simply don't know that it exist.

ggx2ac

Nintendo always has a partner in China though. That's how they sold DS in China under the console ban.

iQue has been absorbed by Nintendo HK though and are now listed as a Development subsidiary rather than a Sales subsidiary so I don't know what's going on exactly if they can still use iQue as their Chinese partner to launch the Switch in China.

Edit: This is regarding that Nintendo has 100% ownership of a Chinese company so I have no clue if that still allows them to bypass those regulations to launch the Switch in China.

vern

Still an official release is going to be much more preferable as it will allow Nintendo to actually response and provide services to Switch owner directly.

The only guarantee u got if u buy Switch now in mainland in China is store guarantee which is never as safe as original company service.

Also by releasing it themselves, Nintendo will be able to push harder on marketting the product this time and try getting more mass market audience as right now, as how many Switch is there under third party reseller is no use as the mass casual market simply don't know that it exist.

Sure you'd get better warranty protections and service and also probably a higher price. My point is that since launch, the Switch has been widely available in China. I was answering the question "switch has yet to launch in china right?" Sure officially it's not released, for all intents and purposes though it is as readily available as any officially released product. If you want a Switch and you live in china you can just go to the electronic market and buy one or hop online and have it delivered to you within a day.
Taobao is amazing

Also there is no mass casual console gaming market in china. There might be someday, and an official entry into the market by Nintendo can definitely help create that market, but currently there is nothing like that.

suracity

You guys take it too literal. I mean no one sells console in mainland officially but Sony has been raising their game for several years. And they added Alipay as payment method in HK server I believe just recently

You don't have to do business officially in China to be successful. HK is always an excellent middle ground for business like this as long as the pieces are there

vern

You guys take it too literal. I mean no one sells console in mainland officially but Sony has been raising their game for several years. And they added Alipay as payment method in HK server I believe just recently

You don't have to do business officially in China to be successful. HK is always an excellent middle ground for business like this as long as the pieces are there

I wish I could use Alipay on Switch eshop. That would be a killer app not even joking.

duckroll

Even the HK and Taiwan versions of the console do not have Chinese UI. I don't think Nintendo is ready for mainland China launch any time soon. You can't sell something in China without Chinese UI, that shit won't fly.

Even before moving on to supporting other languages, Nintendo completely fails at having a business framework for the region. The eShop, proper distribution and sales, publishing, etc. They have zero idea of the standard people expect from a first party these days here. Sony and MS are running loops around them and the only reason their hardware and software sell at all is because of the quality of their games. The business end is pathetic.

Mory Dunz

Even before moving on to supporting other languages, Nintendo completely fails at having a business framework for the region. The eShop, proper distribution and sales, publishing, etc. They have zero idea of the standard people expect from a first party these days here. Sony and MS are running loops around them and the only reason their hardware and software sell at all is because of the quality of their games. The business end is pathetic.

the hardware gimmick is a part of it too.
The infastructure is bad, but the general idea of the switch hardware is appealing.

if the switch Hw idea wasn't appealing, I doubt even botw could save it.

D_prOdigy

I wish I could use Alipay on Switch eshop. That would be a killer app not even joking.

I thought I made a breakthrough when I realized you can use Alipay to buy eShop credit on Play-Asia.... BUT you get to the QR code scan on the website to finalize payment and it tells you it's only for Alipay accounts linked with Chinese IDs. Next time I'm gonna get a friend to make the payment and just pay them back.

suracity

Oh I have no doubt about it. I believe steam added the Unionpay etc. first? Yeah it reminds me that if people need more examples just look at Steam, it's very successful in China now.

Of course you can never be as mainstream as Tencent but it's expected, but it doesn't mean you can't be successful.

Btw I don't know much about SEA gaming except Singapore. But I always find it amusing that it seems you can find all kinds of versions here. You can have PEGI, CERO, ESRB, &#36628;15 and local sticker on the same shelf. I have no idea how distributory work here lol. Even without region lock I still have to learn the difference between R1, R2 and R3 for ps because of the language and dlc compatibility.

casiopao

Sure you'd get better warranty protections and service and also probably a higher price. My point is that since launch, the Switch has been widely available in China. I was answering the question "switch has yet to launch in china right?" Sure officially it's not released, for all intents and purposes though it is as readily available as any officially released product. If you want a Switch and you live in china you can just go to the electronic market and buy one or hop online and have it delivered to you within a day.
Taobao is amazing

Also there is no mass casual console gaming market in china. There might be someday, and an official entry into the market by Nintendo can definitely help create that market, but currently there is nothing like that.

I always believe that with a proper Nintendo entry to oen region, it will be a lot beneficial to the region there. The price is now more controlled, more game support coming with the local languages and of course more marketing and research on that specific areas.

I believe the lack of mass casual console gaming is simply because of lack of effort going there and also the stigma of gaming still strongly exist in Chinese family eyes there.( From what i know, older chinese parents still believe that allowing their children to play game will ruin their future as it will cause them to be lazy in studies lol.)

same, but maxsoft control sea area.. i just wish there is a real sea nintendo representative.

I wonder if Nintendo can just bought up Maxsoft in the future and change them into Nintendo of SEA in the future there?

Ninty indeed need tons of effort on that part. I still cant comprehend why Indonesia is still not listed as one of the countries on 3ds when we had quite a big gaming market lol.

Also, no Eshop store for the whole SEA makes me salty as hell. Hell, i am not even sure if Nintendo themselves had any idea to solve this problem as it seems they always feel that they dont have enough human power to help them on those expansion.

I wonder if Nintendo can just bought up Maxsoft in the future and change them into Nintendo of SEA in the future there?

I might be wrong, but maxsoft is already a subsidiary of Nintendo apparently. it's in their website or something, can't remember when someone pointed it out to me.

Btw I don't know much about SEA gaming except Singapore. But I always find it amusing that it seems you can find all kinds of versions here. You can have PEGI, CERO, ESRB, &#36628;15 and local sticker on the same shelf. I have no idea how distributory work here lol.

Damn, in Europe it also exists in some regions

260px-Video_game_rating_systems_in_europe.JPG

Russian video game rating system, the European PEGI, the German USK! Splendid lol

I might be wrong, but maxsoft is already a subsidiary of Nintendo apparently. it's in their website or something, can't remember when someone pointed it out to me.
Not sure. If it is already Nintendo subs, then Nintendo MUST do more for the region.T_T

Yep, they're under NCL.

Speaking of, funny anecdote. My friend in Malaysia said they're starting to provide Switch effigies for dead day. I kinda want to get one for my Grandpa because that's hilarious to me.

ggx2ac

I've checked the NCL website, Nintendo's Annual Report and Maxsoft's website but I can't seem to find anything indicating that Maxsoft is a subsidiary of Nintendo, only thing I could find was Maxsoft saying they are an official distributor for Nintendo Products which sounds like they are a third party/under contract with Nintendo but not owned by them, similar to people who mention the distributor Bergsala for the Scandinavian countries that distribute Nintendo products.

I've checked the NCL website, Nintendo's Annual Report and Maxsoft's website but I can't seem to find anything indicating that Maxsoft is a subsidiary of Nintendo, only thing I could find was Maxsoft saying they are an official distributor for Nintendo Products which sounds like they are a third party/under contract with Nintendo but not owned by them, similar to people who mention the distributor Bergsala for the Scandinavian countries that distribute Nintendo products.

lets see if I can find that one. I personally still think they're distributor only since being a subsidiary doesn't makes sense at all. (probably it's a mistake and edited already)

Find it very hard to believe that Maxsoft is a Nintendo subsidiary considering how they conduct business in the region.

ikr

edit: found it. apparently it's on an abstract of a report... of course I have no idea if the research is correct or wrong
https://marketpublishers.com/report...td-in-toys-n-games-singapore-euromonitor.html

ggx2ac

ikr

edit: found it. apparently it's on an abstract of a report... of course I have no idea if the research is correct or wrong
https://marketpublishers.com/report...td-in-toys-n-games-singapore-euromonitor.html

I think it might be a grievous error on their part.

I checked Nintendo's Annual Reports from 2014 to 2016 with relation to when that market report was released and I couldn't find Maxsoft in any of the annual reports, including Scope of Consolidation which mentions smaller companies that are excluded for any particular reason.

The only differences to 2017 that I noticed was that there was a Nintendo Phuten which was the Taiwan Subsidiary owned by Nintendo but it got closed down and Taiwan is handled by Nintendo HK now, and then some other company called Siras but Nintendo sold Siras to Incomm.

Edit: I've went to dig some more, and am trying to find the six consolidated subsidiaries that Nintendo doesn't name currently.

Nippon Ichi Software has announced that total sales for the Yomawari series have topped 100,000 units in Japan.
That's the combined sales number of Yomawari: Night Alone (October 29, 2015) and the recently released Yomawari: Midnight Shadows (August 24, 2017).

http://gematsu.com/2017/09/yomawari-series-sales-top-100000-japan

Nice. Picked up the original on Vita last year and enjoyed it, so I low-key hope they decide to port Midnight Shadows to the Switch as I would likely get that too.

I think it might be a grievous error on their part.

I checked Nintendo's Annual Reports from 2014 to 2016 with relation to when that market report was released and I couldn't find Maxsoft in any of the annual reports, including Scope of Consolidation which mentions smaller companies that are excluded for any particular reason.

The only differences to 2017 that I noticed was that there was a Nintendo Phuten which was the Taiwan Subsidiary owned by Nintendo but it got closed down and Taiwan is handled by Nintendo HK now, and then some other company called Siras but Nintendo sold Siras to Incomm.

Edit: Not to mention that if Maxsoft was a subsidiary of Nintendo especially with regards to distribution then Nintendo would have their name mentioned in this list on Nintendo's website considering it's listing their subsidiaries: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/en/outline/index.html

makes sense then. wonder why I didn't remember to check the annual reports back then (and earlier) to double check that report's abstract

The Gamedatalibrary lists only 34.962 copies sold for Yomawari: Night Alone, while Yomawari: Midnight Shadows' most recent Famitsu numbers were 15.035 (PS4) + 11.496 (Vita) = 26.531 copies. Combining the two games' numbers gives 61.493 copies. This means a lot of bargain bin sales and/or a huge digital share of ~40%. Looks like NIS isn't doing as bad as retail sales suggest.

Nice. Picked up the original on Vita last year and enjoyed it, so I low-key hope they decide to port Midnight Shadows to the Switch as I would likely get that too.

That would be a late port tho. The game is coming out in the west in October for PS4 and Vita. I'd love to see a Yomawari 1 + 2 package for Switch, but if that ever happens, I expect this to be at least one full year away.

ggx2ac

makes sense then. wonder why I didn't remember to check the annual reports back then (and earlier) to double check that report's abstract

I went to check again about Nintendo's other consolidated subsidiaries that they don't list in their reports, but the usual explanation it seems for why they are not listed is because they could be a small scale company who's operations affecting financial statements for Nintendo are negligible, one example they give is Fukuei Co. Ltd although that is listed as an unconsolidated subsidiary.

I'd think that Maxsoft wouldn't be hidden if they were a subsidiary of Nintendo because they distribute Nintendo products to five different countries which is similar to Bergsala that distributes to the Scandinavian countries, that doesn't sound like a small operation that would be omitted from a financial report.

So the most likely explanation is that Maxsoft is not owned by Nintendo whatsoever and is just contracted by Nintendo to do distribution.

mao2

Killing Bites for PS4/PSV has been cancelled. I've never read the comic before but was looking forward to a Bloody Roar-esque game... oh well. :/
http://www.killingbites-game.com/
&#8213; &#12362;&#12375;&#12425;&#12379; &#8213;
&#24179;&#32032;&#12399;&#24330;&#31038;&#21830;&#21697;&#12539;&#12469;&#12540;&#12499;&#12473;&#12434;&#12372;&#24859;&#39015;&#12356;&#12383;&#12384;&#12365;&#12414;&#12375;&#12390;&#12289;&#35488;&#12395;&#12354;&#12426;&#12364;&#12392;&#12358;&#12372;&#12374;&#12356;&#12414;&#12377;&#12290;
&#23478;&#24237;&#29992;&#12466;&#12540;&#12512;&#12477;&#12501;&#12488;&#12302;&#12461;&#12522;&#12531;&#12464;&#12496;&#12452;&#12484;&#65288;&#20206;&#65289;&#12303;&#65288;PS4/PS Vita&#65289;&#12395;&#12388;&#12365;&#12414;&#12375;&#12390;&#12289;&#38283;&#30330;&#20013;&#27490;&#12434;&#27770;&#23450;&#12375;&#12383;&#12371;&#12392;&#12434;&#22577;&#21578;&#12356;&#12383;&#12375;&#12414;&#12377;&#12290;

fortunato

Banned
IIRC, Yomawari sold well on PSN. This is a game I would expect to perform well in digital sales. Sales are good for what the project is, and the trend over time is positive. Nevertheless, Nippon Ichi's prospect was much more positive a few years ago. They struggled in establishing new successful IPs at the same level of Disgaea, and Disgaea sales have plummeted.

mao2

Nippon Ichi Software has announced that total sales for the Yomawari series have topped 100,000 units in Japan.
That's the combined sales number of Yomawari: Night Alone (October 29, 2015) and the recently released Yomawari: Midnight Shadows (August 24, 2017).

http://gematsu.com/2017/09/yomawari-series-sales-top-100000-japan
Unless I missed something, the original tweet only stated that Yomawari series topped 100K, without indicating whether the number is for Japan only or worldwide. Seems like Nippon Ichi are happy with the sales regardless so it's all good.
https://twitter.com/ShinYomawari/status/912932477051691008
&#12304;&#12471;&#12522;&#12540;&#12474;&#32047;&#35336;10&#19975;&#26412;&#31361;&#30772;&#12305;&#12362;&#12363;&#12370;&#12373;&#12414;&#12391;&#12302;&#22812;&#24315;&#12303;&#12471;&#12522;&#12540;&#12474;&#12364;&#32047;&#35336;10&#19975;&#26412;&#12434;&#31361;&#30772;&#33268;&#12375;&#12414;&#12375;&#12383;&#65281;&#28317;&#19978;&#12487;&#12451;&#12524;&#12463;&#12479;&#12540;&#12424;&#12426;&#35352;&#24565;&#12452;&#12521;&#12473;&#12488;&#12434;&#12356;&#12383;&#12384;&#12356;&#12390;&#12362;&#12426;&#12414;&#12377;&#65281;

&#20170;&#24460;&#12392;&#12418;&#12302;&#22812;&#24315;&#12303;&#12394;&#12425;&#12403;&#12395;&#12302;&#28145;&#22812;&#24315;&#12303;&#12434;&#24540;&#25588;&#12356;&#12383;&#12384;&#12369;&#12414;&#12377;&#12392;&#24184;&#12356;&#12391;&#12377;&#65281;
#&#22812;&#24315; #&#28145;&#22812;&#24315;
http://nippon1.jp/consumer/shin_yomawari/

Top Bottom