• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2013 (Oct 07 - Oct 13)

ibsMlTPFad0nj.gif
Lol. These threads always deliver.

It's mind boggling how much the WiiU is fucked. Especially when the Japanese Market is dominated by another product from Nintendo... it just boggles the mind how unprepared and pathetic Nintendo is when it comes to WiiU.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Wow, Wii U is flailing. Soon the 360 will sell more per week.

Not really but goddamn. So much for the 2nd half year Wii U push.

Dragon

Banned
Wind Waker was out a few weeks ago in japan, it caused a spike in sales but nothing "groundbreaking".

However from reading around there are some bundles coming that i guess the buying public will know about so it will always cause a dip in sales in the proceeding weeks, as its does for every console, including the Vita a few times.

Dunno why i'm bothering to answer someone whose ranting about a overpriced HD port however when the majority of people who have it (including myself) see it as one of the better HD remakes out there due to not just uprezzing the gfx and calling it a day like most others, but hey , thats just me

The ICO/SotC HD Collection destroys the Wind Waker one and it was released at 39.99. Nintendo should not have released it at the price they did.

I know I got schooled on here earlier for believing that Nintendo wouldn't let the WiiU fall below 5k (I think it was). However, I couldn't fathom them letting it slide to 1k-2k numbers at that it point because I feel like you'd really have to ask yourself why bother then?

They presumably value it being lighter and having slightly better battery time. It's not that they hate OLED, they just don't seem to give a shit about it one way or the other.

Colours. It can all be explained by colours, (and not the ones on the screen).

A variety of colours is always a big thing coupled with a slimmer form factor and marginally improved battery. I was thinking it could reach 40k and I thought I was optimistic.

Colorful systems is appealing. It's lighter, better sound, better battery, 1 gig internal memory, and a less prone to problems LCD screen. Personally the design isn't as good as the original, and I'm loving the OLED. LCD will be fine, and design is nothing more than personal preference. So for some it can be a super upgrade.

Ah ok, I just thought the OLED screen might be one of the system's bigger draws since it is always so emphasized by Vita owners. Colours are nice, yes. The white Vita looks great, I almost want one.

What is the suplexee in this GIF? The Wii U? It goes by so fast, I can't tell!

It's a Vita, but the screen randomly widens in the second shot for some reason. :p

But man, I was NOT expecting the Vita 2 to have so much of an impact. Even if you ignore the OLED (like most of the market has anyway), it didn't look to offer much of an upgrade on any other front either.

Sakura

Wow, Wii U is flailing. Soon the 360 will sell more per week.

Not really but goddamn. So much for the 2nd half year Wii U push.

They are pushing it. There is an excellent bundle out at the end of the month. Sales will obviously hit rock bottom before the bundle is out. I'd wait to see what kind of boost it gets before writing it off for now.

zroid

Banned
Not that I think the Wii U superbundles will "save" it, but aside from those twelve people in Japan who were simply waiting for Rayman Legends to launch to buy their Wii U (lol), I don't know why anyone would buy one before Oct 31.

I guess you learn something everyday.

I had NO IDEA Japan cared for GTA. lol

Nice Vita bump but I don't see it staying there too long.

Edit: WiiU numbers are terrifying. I don't care about the plataform but I don't want it to fail miserably either. I really hope Mario Kart & Smash Brothers can do something about that. I really feel like they are the last hope.

They are pushing it. There is an excellent bundle out at the end of the month. Sales will obviously hit rock bottom before the bundle is out. I'd wait to see what kind of boost it gets before writing it off for now.

Nah, it's pretty much done for I'd say. The WiiU is about as relevant in Japan as the 360 was this gen. Bundles or not, I doubt any of the games to be released in the coming months is going to sell systems in any significant way.

Takao

Banned
Sony's stated that the Vita 2K was designed with casual audiences in mind. This explains the inclusion of built in memory, and dropping the proprietary USB cable. Couple that with an extended battery life, and lighter frame I can't imagine most people will bemoan the lack of OLED, assuming they even knew what it was in the first place.

In that case .nobody is ready for sales GAF competitions Yet as Vita caught everyone by surprise.

Well that is because for some reason people are overly negative when it comes to Vita sales. Really, 10-15k predictions with new colors and a new model? While Vita has done pretty abysmally it's not Xbox 360 either.

Kid Ying

Wiiu is selling horribly, but Vita shows that there is a chance for it if those bundles end up being something.

Which means we're in for a couple of weeks with veeery low sales and even the bundle might not do what they are expecting, but there is a chance. I don't know if in Japan we have the same situation where the premium sold much more than the basic, but if it is, then there isn't much reason to buy one right now, since the cheapest bundle goes for almost the same price, but with 2 games and a couple of other stuff.

Either way, Nintendo really messed up this by having a month of almost nothing (Rayman? Lol). They should've released Wii party and those bundles way before.

SmokyDave said 10K so I was thinking nah, maybe 15-18K but 60? No way did I imagine it, not when Pokemon and MH4 are taking so much attention.

When PSP-2000 came out in 2007, weekly sales of PSP in Japan jumped from 99K to 263K, a 165% change.

PSP-3000 rose PSP sales from 20K to 156K.

PSP GO rose PSP sales from 40K to 71K.

It's not all that unthinkable for PSV-2000 sales to rise from 4K to 59K.

It does assume though that the 3DS and PSV ecosystems are relatively separate from one another, and Pokemon's / 3DS's dominance doesn't really change the amount of people who would be interested in the Vita.

L Thammy

The Wii U's failure is a lot less mind-boggling when you think of what it's actually delivered and who it's delivered that to. To the casual audience, the one that's bought Wii Sports and is probably playing on smartphones... aside from Nintendoland, there's nothing really new. The Gamepad obviously isn't selling to people. To the core audiences, there's very little.

Nintendo was obviously trying to expand the appeal of their system beyond the casual audience, but they didn't do nearly enough to attract the hardcore or to maintain the audience they already had.

All it takes is one example and thousands of others cease to count.

I guess they think that it's a Japanese series since Capcom was publishing it for so long.

Pokemon, Monster Hunter and 3DS slaying as per.

Vita and GTA sold much more than I expected, Dangan Ronpa much less, but still solid debut. Wii U lol, a Born This Way sized mess.

Youkai Watch crosses 200k, still selling well and I don't know why.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I know Sony isn't goin to cut the price for at least 8 months, but could a price cut on the Vita 2000, encourage greater sales? Maybe if they position it near the same price of the 3DS XL?

Replicant

But man, I was NOT expecting the Vita 2 to have so much of an impact. Even if you ignore the OLED (like most of the market has anyway), it didn't look to offer much of an upgrade on any other front either.

Disagree. VITA 1000 looks unpleasant aesthetic-wise IMO. That's why I didn't get one even with the OLED screen. The redesign actually looks pretty good. An improvement over the original, even with the OLED gone. I am actually entertaining of getting one now whereas I wouldn't even touch the old version with a ten-foot pole. I'd be even more interested if they get rid of those bubbles UI.

Zalman

I know Sony isn't goin to cut the price for at least 8 months, but could a price cut on the Vita 2000, encourage greater sales? Maybe if they position it near the same price of the 3DS XL?
Price cuts always help, but they won't do much unless there's enough software.

God Eater 2 bundle has been in top of amazon japan ever since it was annouced. It should do some good numbers.

Also as mentioned we will also have Vita TV, Gundam bundle and FF bundle till end of year.

Plus a few games with 100k+ potential - compraed to last year Christmas with AKB as only game.

Beside GE/FF and Gundam, what other games are coming out for the Vita this year?

liger05

How low will Wii U go before the bundle. 1 – 2k?

That’s a nice bump for the Vita and more than I expected but as people say it’s the next few weeks what matters.

The price cut saw people saying a new baseline of 20k will be found and that failed to materialise so we will see if it can at least achieve that or whether we get the under 20k numbers again.

Are you combining Vita TV and Vita sells for that 100K?

Nope, but those 2 will be the reason for the spike on the week of nov 14.

God Eater 2 bundle has been in top of amazon japan ever since it was annouced. It should do some good numbers.

Also as mentioned we will also have Vita TV, Gundam bundle and FF bundle till end of year.

Plus a few games with 100k+ potential - compraed to last year Christmas with AKB as only game.

Yep Vita will do good for the remainder of the year. But does it have nice releases early next year? I know of Soul Sacrifice Delta.

Sakura

Nah, it's pretty much done for I'd say. The WiiU is about as relevant in Japan as the 360 was this gen. Bundles or not, I doubt any of the games to be released in the coming months is going to sell systems in any significant way.

The Wii U hasn't even been out a year, and already has 1 million sales to Xbox 360s 1.6, so I'm going to have to disagree with you. I don't expect excellent numbers from the Wii U in Japan, but I expect 5 million as its LTD when all is said and done.

I got to give daps to another poster in the week 40 thread who basically called something like this happening. I agreed with him but like I said the new model performed way better than I expected.

Some people here do not seem to see the appeal of the 2000 model in Japan, and thus do not think it will help Vita sales, but the current sales seem to show that the new 2000 model is clearly more appealing to the Japanese market, since, at present, consumers can choose to buy a 1000 or 2000 for the same price. Looking at amazon.co.jp rankings today, 5 of the 6 new 2000 Vita models are in the top 100, currently the highest being at #41 (Light blue/white), the lowest at #127 (Khaki/black). None of the OG models are anywhere close. The Black OG 3G/Wifi model, which is in stock and is essentially the same price as the new 2000 models (~19,000 yen), is closest at #241. I think this shows most Japanese don't care about the OLED (or 3G) anymore, they want the new, more colourful, lighter, thinner, more comfortable Vita, and the sales are reflecting that. Otherwise, the OG 3G unit would be above the rest in sales.

It needs to be positioned near a major software launch.

If any price drop happens next year, it'll probably come with Freedom Wars.

liger05

When PSP-2000 came out in 2007, weekly sales of PSP in Japan jumped from 99K to 263K, a 165% change.

PSP-3000 rose PSP sales from 20K to 156K.

PSP GO rose PSP sales from 40K to 71K.

Thank you. Adds some perspective to this weeks bump.

Top Bottom