• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2013 (Oct 07 - Oct 13)

That the PSV is a worthwhile system is beyond comprehension?

In addition to some awesome colors
dat fluorescent yellow :D
, the revision reduces weight and adds comfort - from the impressions I've heard.

Whenever 3DS hits a peak of sorts; must be them flopping hinges and self mutilating screens, eh? :p

it was a joke dig

i'm actually quite impressed with the level of the vita bump I expected much much less, though I guarantee at least some will be people replacing because their OLEDs have fucked up, as amazingly pretty as OLED tech is its terrible for reliability (my poor phone has the keyboard permanently imprinted on it)

I don't know if it has already been addressed in this thread, but will see separated 3DS and 2DS numbers in this sales figures going forward or will it always just be "3DS"?

2DS hasn't been released or scheduled for Japan.

I expect it to launch in the spring, when the releases have dried up a bit.

oie_IYfj6_KANha_UP.gif

LMAO

Tripon

I don't know if it has already been addressed in this thread, but will see separated 3DS and 2DS numbers in this sales figures going forward or will it always just be "3DS"?

The 2DS isn't released yet, but we'll likely see a separate line for each subsystem, and an overall 3DS sold line like we already see for the 3DS OG and XL versions.

Mr Swine

Banned
Don't get me wrong 60k is a fantastic number for the Vita redesign but looking back at the last 6 weeks makes it not that impressive :/

trixx

I'm in shock that the vita sold that much.
Wii U is the new dead platform they need to do something. I don't expect 3d world to boost sales significantly as well.

Sendou

I'm not an expert but seeing how we actually get different numbers for 3DS and 3DS LL I believe that will be the case with 2DS too.

Scum

Aw man, even Nibel is losing hope. Shit ain't looking good :p

Yeah, but there are things beyond profits that having a platform tank effect. Image, retailer confidence, etc.
No denying that. It's as if there are two entirely different companies within NCL - one that handles handhelds and the other consoles.

Foshy

I assume that they will be just combined as "3DS", but Media Create will also show separate sales like they're doing with regular and XL.

Same thing for Vita TV probably.

I think Vita is at the tipping point right now, until now it has suffered from a visibility problem. I was in Tokyo earlier this year for a job interview and I saw very few people and congregations of people with Vitas playing games together like I had seen previoslusly with the PSP and currebtly with 3DS. However, since then the Vita has new colours and a big ad-hoc co-op game on the way.

From what I could tell and from what the guys interviewing me said that there was a stigma attached to the Vita and people preferred not to be seen with one in public (I guess because of the type of games that are popular on it) but with the new colours and God Eater 2 I think that changes. I'm not going to say it will be a turn around of PSP proportions but I think it will be significant enough to keep Sony in the portable gaming market, something that was not guaranteed this time last year.

With Vita TV it will be interesting to see how Japanese gamers respond to the Vita as an ecosystem rather than a standalone device. Sony need to follow up with a Vita S (4") and Vita XL (7") because the current offering is too rigid. I love the Vita but I would prefer a smaller one but I know people who are waiting for a tablet sized version before getting in. In a world where the most popular gaming product (iPad) is available in two sizes, Sony also need yo adjust to that and be flexible in their approach.

L Thammy

Completely true. It's just such an extreme lack of foresight on their part.

I get the sense that it's more than that. Wii U game delays, huge day one update, games barely using the consoles' features, etc. I wonder if there was some problem that resulting in the design of the console appearing too late - perhaps a simple lack of ideas - that caused problems in several other areas.

Beyond that. While Nintendo has always gotten complaints for retreading old ground, new experiences are a big part of their success with the Wii and DS. That just doesn't seem to be the case with the Wii U for whatever reason.

the company that handles the 3DS seems to be a different one that handles the Wii U
Hmm, don't really see it.

I'd say rather that it's the same company in both instances, but the company's strengths align much better with the Japanese market and younger audiences that drive the handheld market than they do the Western market and 16-35 male demographics that drive the AAA home console industry.

I've personally always seen the handheld and home console industries as pretty distinct, while still being part of a larger whole in the gaming industry. Mobile has joined them too.

You get desensitized to it after a while when you have management intensely focused in on a specific time for Wii U sales to bounce back.

The issue is that that window of opportunity is shrinking. We're already in mid-October...the Wii U should be doing better by now. The original plan for redemption was the 2nd half of the calendar year (August through December). We're now more than half-way through that and the console is still as dead as ever.

It's since been pushed back to the 2nd half of the fiscal year (October through March) ...management always needs to keep morale up for this kind of thing.

I think Nintendo sees 2013 as a wash; merely a test run and user base freebie. They were able to add a few million systems ahead of the PS4 and XBox One release, though as 2013 played out, I think Nintendo became aware of how vital 2014 would actually need to be.

Throughout 2013 they've delayed games beyond projected release timings; the year becoming progressively more barren for big releases.

If you look at the movement for DKC:TF out holiday 2013 and into February, you can see what Nintendo will be attempting. They're conceding much the holiday season; releasing what heavy hitters they do have, post PS4/XBox One launch. It's strategic, really.

With Mario and Zelda WW carrying some burden, they'll release DKC:TF when the other systems typically enter post launch drought. They'll have MK8, SSBU, X, SMTxFE, Yoshi Yarn and Bayonetta 2 all prepped for release.

Though with Watch Dogs moving into spring, third parties probably are actively helping to seed momentum for the other 2, post launch.

I hope JP takes to the bundles - it's a nice system.

My bad, I could have sworn everyone in the 2DS unveil thread was saying it was going to launch alongside Pokemon X/Y.

It did.

in the West

urfe

I think the if the Wii U bundles do bad, I'll finally join the doom and gloom. Until then, I got my hopes high for a big turnaround.

Zalman

I think the if the Wii U bundles do bad, I'll finally join the doom and gloom. Until then, I got my hopes high for a big turnaround.
If anything can save it, it's Mario Kart, but that isn't coming out until next year. Big mistake IMO.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
In the end the list is incomplete. Maybe something will leak next days.

Famitsu handheld openings

1989.04.21 (Nintendo GameBoy) - unknown (3 days)
1990.10.06 (Sega GameGear) - unknown (2 days)
1995.07.21 (Nintendo VirtualBoy) - unknown (3 days)
1996.07.21 (Nintendo GameBoyPocket) - unknown (1 day)
1998.04.14 (Nintendo GameBoyLight) - unknown (6 days)
1998.10.21 (Nintendo GameBoyColor) - 155.774 (5 days)
1998.10.28 (SNK NeoGeoPocket) - 21.471 (5 days)
1999.03.04 (Bandai WonderSwan) - 102.655 (4 days)
1999.03.19 (SNK NeoGeoPocketColor) - 18.809 (3 days)
2000.12.09 (Bandai WonderSwanColor) - 145.975 (2 days)
2001.03.21 (Nintendo GameBoyAdvance) - 611.504 (5 days)
2002.07.12 (Bandai SwanCrystal) - 30.692 (3 days)
2003.02.14 (Nintendo GameBoyAdvance SP) - 117.859 (3 days)
2004.12.02 (Nintendo DS) - 441.485 (4 days)
2004.12.12 (Sony PSP-1000) - 166.074 (1 day)
2005.09.13 (Nintendo GameBoyMicro) - 148.117 (6 days)
2006.03.02 (Nintendo DS Lite) - 67.653 (4 days)
2007.09.20 (Sony PSP-2000) - 263.538 (4 days)
2008.10.16 (Sony PSP-3000) - 155.720 (4 days)
2008.11.01 (Nintendo DSi) - 170.779 (2 days)
2009.11.01 (Sony PSP Go) - 28.275 (1 day)
2009.11.21 (Nintendo DSi LL) - 103.524 (2 days)
2011.02.26 (Nintendo 3DS) - 371.326 (2 days)
2011.12.17 (Sony PSVita) - 321.407 (2 days)
2012.07.28 (Nintendo 3DS LL) - 193.441 (2 days)
2013.10.12 (Sony PSVita-PCH2000) < 58.682 (4 days)

Mr Swine

Banned
Especially not if you remember that Vita also hit 60k when the price dropped and we all remember how that turned out.

Wii U is dead and I'm saying that as a Nintendo fan.

Yeah but what makes me sad is that since the price drop and Soul Sacrifice release Vita has been around 200k ahead this year compared to last year and with the new redesign and the 6 weeks of low sales have not changed that number. It's still only 200k ahead from last year. It would have been 50-100k ahead if sales didn't slump :/

I'd say rather that it's the same company in both instances, but the company's strengths align much better with the Japanese market and younger audiences that drive the handheld market than they do the Western market and 16-35 male demographics that drive the AAA home console industry.

I guess Nintendo (and associated companies like HAL Laboratory and Intelligent Systems) is "more enthusiastic" about the 3DS? It's impossible to quantify especially since Nintendo's development teams are shrouded in secrecy, but there does seem to be a "preference" for 3DS development.

Sendou

If anything can save it, it's Mario Kart, but that isn't coming out until next year. Big mistake IMO.

People keep saying it's a mistake but if it's not ready then that's the only choice. Rushing out Mario Kart could potentially damage the IP and have long term repercussions for the whole Nintendo.

I guess Nintendo (and associated companies like HAL Laboratory and Intelligent Systems) is "more enthusiastic" about the 3DS? It's impossible to quantify especially since Nintendo's development teams are shrouded in secrecy, but there does seem to be a "preference" for 3DS development.

Closer to truth is probably Iwata panicking over initial 3DS sales and just greenlighting all the 3DS projects that hit his table.

zroid

Banned
Although in both cases, XL sales got a much larger bump, MH4 tended to favour the XL much more strongly than Pokémon. 3DS XL sales from Pokémon are much lower than they were for MH4, but 3DS sales are nearly double.

Zalman

I think Nintendo panicked when the 3DS was failing two years ago. They focused too many ressources on it and completely forgot about their next home console. I think we'll start seeing less 3DS games and more Wii U games the upcoming years.

I've personally always seen the handheld and home console industries as pretty distinct, while still being part of a larger whole in the gaming industry. Mobile has joined them too.

I would also add that Nintendo is still not HD ready, and can´t maintain having 2 platforms where one of them requires more resource than they actually have.

liger05

I think Nintendo panicked when the 3DS was failing two years ago. They focused too many ressources on it and completely forgot about their next home console. I think we'll start seeing less 3DS games and more Wii U games the upcoming years.

They were right to do so. Nintendo handhelds are the bread and butter. A failed handheld cannot happen and they were rightly worried that Japanese 3rd party support would dry up. They made the right decision in making sure this didnt happen even it if was at the expense of the Wii U.

No, but I would say it allows us to some extent to estimate the long-term effect of this, although I guess GE2, FF X/X-2 and the holiday season in general will at least keep Vita (somewhat) running for this year.

I think it becomes self sustaining after it reaches a certain point. As it becomes more visible I think the tipping point gets closer.

Really it's up to Sony to deliver relevant third party titles in 2014 and beyond. They don't need to be mega ones but a few small and mid sized games a month would do it. At least enough to keep it in the market and for Sony not to kill it by 2015.

In the end the list is incomplete. Maybe something will leak next days.

Famitsu handheld openings

1989.04.21 (Nintendo GameBoy) - unknown (3 days)
1990.10.06 (Sega GameGear) - unknown (2 days)
1995.07.21 (Nintendo VirtualBoy) - unknown (3 days)
1996.07.21 (Nintendo GameBoyPocket) - unknown (1 day)
1998.04.14 (Nintendo GameBoyLight) - unknown (6 days)
1998.10.21 (Nintendo GameBoyColor) - 155.774 (5 days)
1998.10.28 (SNK NeoGeoPocket) - 21.471 (5 days)
1999.03.04 (Bandai WonderSwan) - 102.655 (4 days)
1999.03.19 (SNK NeoGeoPocketColor) - 18.809 (3 days)
2000.12.09 (Bandai WonderSwanColor) - 145.975 (2 days)
2001.03.21 (Nintendo GameBoyAdvance) - 611.504 (5 days)
2002.07.12 (Bandai SwanCrystal) - 30.692 (3 days)
2003.02.14 (Nintendo GameBoyAdvance SP) - 117.859 (3 days)
2004.12.02 (Nintendo DS) - 441.485 (4 days)
2004.12.12 (Sony PSP-1000) - 166.074 (1 day)
2005.09.13 (Nintendo GameBoyMicro) - 148.117 (6 days)
2006.03.02 (Nintendo DS Lite) - 67.653 (4 days)
2007.09.20 (Sony PSP-2000) - 263.538 (4 days)
2008.10.16 (Sony PSP-3000) - 155.720 (4 days)
2008.11.01 (Nintendo DSi) - 170.779 (2 days)
2009.11.01 (Sony PSP Go) - 28.275 (1 day)
2009.11.21 (Nintendo DSi LL) - 103.524 (2 days)
2011.02.26 (Nintendo 3DS) - 371.326 (2 days)
2011.12.17 (Sony PSVita) - 321.407 (2 days)
2012.07.28 (Nintendo 3DS LL) - 193.441 (2 days)
2013.10.12 (Sony PSVita-PCH2000) < 58.682 (4 days)

Funny how the DSL has one of the lowest openings.

Tom_Cody

Does anyone know how/when Nintendo will comment on download sales for Pokemon X/Y? I can't imagine why anyone would buy a physical download card and yet those sales are still quiet significant. It would be nice to have a clearer picture of how this debut compares to past titles in the series once sales across all mediums are considered.

Scum

Oh right...Rayman Legends...how on Earth could I ever forget Rayman Legends for the Wii U.

2K barrier it is. :p

It hurts internally as well. This is just my anecdotal experience, but I privately spoke to an employee affiliated with Nintendo who told me that he didn't want to develop for the Wii U because "no one would get to play my game if it came out for that system."

Of course, the company has to keep a squeaky-clean, incessantly positive image for the outside world to get constantly reassured. But don't think everyone is content with Wii U's sales issues.
It's such a damn shame that Nintendo doesn't think globally. This would have been the perfect opportunity for NoE and NoA to handle the console side of of things while NCL looks after the handheld.

Arakawa and family should use their 10% to laud authority over Iwata and help drag the company to global shenanigans. :p

L Thammy

That explains the price cut and cutting executives' salaries. But the games don't come out of nowhere. Nintendo already had Capcom in their pocket - a third party with a very influential IP - and key games that didn't look completely like easy retreads of their franchise.

Sendou

That explains the price cut and cutting executives' salaries. But the games don't come out of nowhere. Nintendo already had Capcom in their pocket - a third party with a very influential IP - and key games that didn't look completely like easy retreads of their franchise.

Of course they don't but 1-2 year of dev cycle isn't too unreasonable with some 3DS titles.

Sendou

When it takes a new hardware revision and new colors just to spur "okay" sales, I'd say yes, for the average consumer, it is beyond comprehension, unfortunately.

I haven't followed Japanese sales for long but surely 60k is a lot better than just "okay"?

RM8

It's such a damn shame that Nintendo doesn't think globally. This would have been the perfect opportunity for NoE and NoA to handle the console side of of things while NCL looks after the handheld.

Arakawa and family should use their 10% to laud authority over Iwata and help drag the company to global shenanigans. :p
NoA? The NoA that wanted Wii to be basically nothing but a Wii Sports and Wii Fit machine?

Metallix87

I haven't followed Japanese sales for long but surely 60k is a lot better than just "okay"?
When it's one of the best sales weeks for a handheld in Handheld Land, "okay" is being generous.

I hope GE2 helps it break 100k, because I doubt Vita TV does much, if anything.

Top Bottom