• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 43, 2011 (Oct 24 - Oct 30)

frankie_baby said:
Type 0 has done better than expected by me though less than a lot of people seemed to think, 13-2 I've got a feeling will underperform too maybe only two thirds of 13's numbers

Have SE revealed sales expectations for 13-2?
I don't think SE would be disappointed with around 3 million sold.
In fact, wouldn't that be about the same number X-2 sold?

djplaeskool said:
I wag thinking purely in japanese figures say 1.2 or 1.3 million which would be pretty terrible for a (sort of) mainline final fantasy

Road

djplaeskool said:
X-2 has sold more than 4 million copies worldwide. More than 2.3 million in Japan (including 290k from "International+Last Mission").

Takao

Banned
frankie_baby said:
I wag thinking purely in japanese figures say 1.2 or 1.3 million which would be pretty terrible for a (sort of) mainline final fantasy

Isn't 1.3 close to what FFXIII did in Japan? Haha.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
PdotMichael said:
I don't know but the 3DS was "dead" with the old price.

True--but I was referring to after the price drop.

Alrus

Remember when BurntPork said the 3DS was gonna sell at most 20-30k a week in october? Those were fun times :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Final Fantasy Type 0 did not so bad. No, it did good.
The fact is that it's true that it has production values of a main FF title related to PSP, great marketing and all, but it's not a main in the real sense.
It's a main of a different FF series.
Just as 3D Mario games do always far worse than 2D Mario ones, but this doesn't mean that the former do bad in general.
It had almost 500k of debut, a good beginning for a new series in the FF universe.
But for the West the matter is different, given the dead status of PSP software: 3DS / Vita / PS3 International version is needed.

olimpia84

Wow at those amazing 3DS sales. It will only go up now that the good games are being released for the holidays.

Spiegel

Alrus said:
Remember when BurntPork said the 3DS was gonna sell at most 20-30k a week in october? Those were fun times :p

If you look at the weeks following the pricedrop 3DS was certainly looking to settle below 40k.

Then MH4+MH3G+new colors+Nintendo pre-tgs conference happened.

Mpl90

Alrus said:

The fact is that certainly most of the people were expecting 35-40k ( me as well), especially for the barren software line-up... this is SO much more, even without considering the Pink.

thestopsign said:
This never happened for the DS, there were very specific hardware bumps along side big software releases. The DS never sold on the promise of something great, it sold well with incredibly strong evergreen titles with weekly boosts from new software. I think 2006 and 2007 DS sales will show good examples of this.

I think my memory/confusion was from stats on the other side of the pond. There were many months in North America (2007-Aug, 2007-Nov, 2008-Mar, 2008-Sep, 2008-Oct, 2008-Nov) where the system sold like gangbusters but there were no DS titles in the top ten (and, in the above cases, often only one title in the top twenty). I recall several instances of people being confused (and even angry!) at how the system could sell so well without the software charting (though obviously software was selling well overall).

This was in a different region, obviously, but the situation seems analogous in some ways.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Takao said:
Depends on if LBX2 is on PSP I suppose. ;P
A title which isnt even announced ? I wouldn't be suprised if they switch platforms for the next installment.

Takao

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
A title which isnt even announced ? I wouldn't be suprised if they switch platforms for the next installment.

Depends I suppose, Level-5 cranks out sequels like nobody's business so they could get out an LBX 2 by next year. If that's the plan I would be surprised if LBX: Boost has a teaser for the sequel.

Elios83

Mpl90 said:
The fact is that certainly most of the people were expecting 35-40k ( me as well), especially for the barren software line-up... this is SO much more, even without considering the Pink.

New colours and the Monster Hunter announcements definetly changed the situation bumping the baseline from 35k-40k to 55k-60k.

A system with:
No new colours this week
No new releases this week
And no software in the top 20 at all
Just did 65k, wow, I say wow

Alrus

I guess the MH announcement was much more effective than I thought it would be. It was pretty much the only huge holidays title we didn't know about before September. (I guess Gundam is decently big too, but not nearly as close).

Laguna said:
So in the end Monster Hunter games likely will be the only PSP million-sellers in Japan.

Maybe God Eater 2? The first one did pretty big numbers for a new IP. (although the sales of Burst weren't as great as some people expected...)

duckroll

Alrus said:
Maybe God Eater 2? The first one did pretty big numbers for a new IP. (although the sales of Burst weren't as great as some people expected...)

I would say there is basically no chance for God Eater 2 to basically double it's audience overnight. If there was any indication that the audience was growing in a rapid way, Burst would have shown it. Since it didn't, I don't see why it would suddenly change.

kassatsu

Banned
Spiegel said:
Most of the sales are probably PSN downloads so people can play the game on Vita

JOKE

Nah, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least 10-15k bought the game on PSN
665 ratings!

Laguna

Banned
Alrus said:

I think that because it will be released after the holidays it will have a hard time facing 3DSs likely ongoing momentum and Vitas release. PSP probably will be seen as outdated and its software may suffer because of this. The only known game with the potential to become a million seller still is Type-0 even after its relative disappointing sales, let´s see what the second week numbers will be and if it will surprise us with decent legs. If it doesn´t manage to crawl it´s way up most likely no other non Monster Hunter game will.

DiGiKerot

Chris1964 said:
03./00. [PS3] The Idolmaster 2 # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.10.27} (¥7.980) - 65.512 / NEW

It'll be interesting to see what iM@S2 does it's second week, particularly given how late in the day they left the Ryuuguu Komachi content reveal.

Go_Ly_Dow

A bit disappointed with the sales, for Type-0.

It seems like a very high budget PSP title, that has had a lot of time and effort put in to it. Hopefully the Japanese sales are enough to cover the games budget so the chance of localization stays alive.

I think a PS3/Vita port would be a good option further down the line. S-E will probably wait and see how FFX performs across both platforms.

saichi

Laguna said:
I think that because it will be released after the holidays it will have a hard time facing 3DSs likely ongoing momentum and Vitas release. PSP probably will be seen as outdated and its software may suffer because of this. The only known game with the potential to become a million seller still is Type-0 even after its relative disappointing sales, let´s see what the second week numbers will be and if it will surprise us with decent legs. If it doesn´t manage to crawl it´s way up most likely no other non Monster Hunter game will.

don't get my hopes up!

actually who am I kidding? it's not gonna have any legs whatsoever... would be lucky if it reaches 850K,
and over 1 million with all the PSN sales we don't know about

Glix

Takao said:
That's actually really good, since PSP's PSN Store doesn't allow users to rate content. They can only rate content via PS3, or PC.

That sounds like a good, well thought out way of doing it! Sheesh

jman2050

Every time a hardcore JRPG comes out with decent out of the gate sales someone has to say "well wait and see if it has legs!" as if there's a notable precedent of those type of games not selling more than half their eventual total in the first week.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Smiles and Cries said:
it will be very interesting to see how long it takes for Vita to pass 3DS's LTD numbers
and how they go head to head each week

fun times
3AQmK.gif
i don't think that's gonna happen now. The PSP took off in japan because of Monster Hunter, which Nintendo seems to have snagged. And before you say "But the MH base is sony fans!" - no, it really isn't. MH, believe it or not, is a much more casual game in japan despite its mechanics, mostly becuase of the social aspect (ie: teaming up for a quest or 2 on a train ride.) MH (the portable versions at least) will sell wherever they go, much like Dragon Quest.

test_account

XP-39C²
Takao said:
They obviously don't want people to have a good indication of how PSP PSN software sells, lol.
No way to tell for sure anyway. CoD map packs have like 30k votes i think, but they sold a lot more than that :)

Smiles and Cries said:
it will be very interesting to see how long it takes for Vita to pass 3DS's LTD numbers
and how they go head to head each week

fun times
3AQmK.gif
I hope you mean in a joke X is going to pass Y at the current pace kinda way.

Spiegel said:
If you look at the weeks following the pricedrop 3DS was certainly looking to settle below 40k.

Then MH4+MH3G+new colors+Nintendo pre-tgs conference happened.
The price drop was very effective, even without the MH bomba it would have still stayed above 40k at the very least if you consider that we're leading up to the holiday season, this is a Nintendo handheld after all.

GameplayWhore said:
I think my memory/confusion was from stats on the other side of the pond. There were many months in North America (2007-Aug, 2007-Nov, 2008-Mar, 2008-Sep, 2008-Oct, 2008-Nov) where the system sold like gangbusters but there were no DS titles in the top ten (and, in the above cases, often only one title in the top twenty). I recall several instances of people being confused (and even angry!) at how the system could sell so well without the software charting (though obviously software was selling well overall).

This was in a different region, obviously, but the situation seems analogous in some ways.
Yeah the DS never really had any presence in the software charts, exceptions being Mario Kart DS and NSMB which popped in now and then. The rest of the software usually sold below the radar, well under the top 20.

Takao said:
Depends I suppose, Level-5 cranks out sequels like nobody's business so they could get out an LBX 2 by next year. If that's the plan I would be surprised if LBX: Boost has a teaser for the sequel.
Even if it happens, I wouldn't expect it until holiday 2012. Gundam Age has undoubtedly pushed it out of the summer window.

LBX-2 Vita and Inazuma Strikers Go U for holiday 2012?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
First day reports (Wednesday releases)

Battlefield 3 very strong, Slim Mori Mori 3 quiet start, slower that the DS one.

They expect big things for tomorrow.

Mpl90

Chris1964 said:
First day reports (Wednesday releases)

Battlefield 3 very strong, Slim Mori Mori 3 quiet start, slower that the DS one.

They expect big things for tomorrow.

Didn't they say how much slower?
However, expected to be slower than the DS one.
But it could have better weekend legs due to the white 3DS.

Wait, what's that new Disgaea 4 game? I'm sure the game didn't come out in Japan just recently. Is it a Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 thing going on with that game?

Mpl90

Slime Mori Mori already saw a decrease, however :p

[GBA] Dragon Quest: Slime Morimori (Square Enix) - 67.797 / 346.190 / 19,58% 14/11/03
[NDS] Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (Square Enix) - 43.995 / 293.970 / 14,97% 01/12/05

Mpl90

walking fiend said:
BF3 may pretty well turn out the best fps seller in Japan in past years, unless I have missed some major hit.

Modern Warfare 3 will do MORE.

faridmon

Agitos number is not too bad, especially considering the price. almost 8k Yen for a PSP gfame. Bloody hell, Japanese Otaku must be rich people.

Rolf NB

InfiniteNine said:
Not sure why it's qualified as an adventure game. With my couple of hours of it so far it's more straight up idol management and promotion.
The "ADV" umbrella contains all kinds of games about fapping.

Tiktaalik

Why does World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 do so much better than FIFA 12? The first thing that came to my mind would be that possibly Winning Eleven features a local Japanese league but Google failed me on this query. It seems that with leagues in general FIFA has a massive advantage in numbers of leagues licensed but I am not super familiar with soccer leagues and soccer games.

Tiktaalik said:
Why does World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 do so much better than FIFA 12? The first thing that came to my mind would be that possibly Winning Eleven features a local Japanese league but Google failed me on this query. It seems that with leagues in general FIFA has a massive advantage in numbers of leagues licensed but I am not super familiar with soccer leagues and soccer games.

I believe it was a combination of the quality of the original games and the fact that they had exclusivity on the Japanese leagues/teams that made it garner more popularity than FIFA. It's also made by a Japanese company so that probably helps as well.

Top Bottom