• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 43, 2011 (Oct 24 - Oct 30)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...Strangely high ST for Kirby.
Now I understand why retailers said it had a start "stronger" than expected. Because it started with a better impact on the shipment than other entries.

Orgen said:
Smash Bros Melee - GameCube (I think).

Mpl90 said:
You said Melee?

The week before its release

Gamecube LTD - 299.412

When it went on sale

[GCN] Super Smash Bros. Melee (Nintendo) - 357.101 / 357.101 21/11/01

Gamecube - 129.377 LTD: 428.789

Ratio: 83,28%

Holy shit - low absolute numbers, but still impressive!

idwl said:
Will there be enough 3DS's for the next few months in Japan. I hope the DS record week is broken
I think it'll be broken 2 times: MH release week, and the week leading to holiday. Thought, it should mean at least 1.2m 3DS being sold in December alone!

king zell said:
Mario 3D Land (this week biggest release)

http://www.true-gaming.net/home/48138/

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

http://www.true-gaming.net/home/48133/

Battlefield 3 hits Japan

http://www.true-gaming.net/home/48116/

Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest 3: Taikaizoku to Shippo Dan and the White 3DS

http://www.true-gaming.net/home/48112/

more releases for the week

http://www.true-gaming.net/home/48106/
So, SM3DL is not sold out?

Chris1964 said:
It was never sold-out. There are already additional shipments and there aren't fears of shortage, if there were that kind of fears.
Would it be sold out if there wasn't additional shipments, though?

They predict 400-500K in Japan.
Will be pretty good if it does that much!

BowieZ

Banned
These are awesome pics!

3-2.jpg

3-3.jpg

Mpl90

Chris1964 said:
It was never sold-out. There are already additional shipments and there aren't fears of shortage, if there were that kind of fears.

Mmh, so we can suppose that the famous first shipment that some retailers were bitching about because too low for the demand was something like 200k, no?
Come on Mario, surprise me in the best way possible.

Edit: 400-500k for the first week? Too high! :p

Takao

Banned
I'm not entirely sure why, but whenever I see those Japanese ads with the live action Mario I feel slightly offended.

I think it's the nose. It offends me for some reason.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
walking fiend said:
Would it be sold out if there wasn't additional shipments, though
Probably, but if the first shipment was small it doesn't mean much. Nintendo is supposed to have available a big shipment for weekend.

BowieZ said:
They predict 400-500K in Japan.
Who are "they"?

Gianni Merryman said:
What's that giant-sized 3DS?
By the look of it it is displaying some actual 3DS footage, perhaps not requiring either 3D glasses.
I'd assume its just a tv with footage of Mario on it

Mpl90

Chris1964 said:
Probably, but if the first shipment was small it doesn't mean much. Nintendo is supposed to have available a big shipment for weekend.

Who are "they"?

I think he was referring to king zell's site.
...Or to some mysterious entities who live in Japan and take pictures of what happen.
THEY.

However, I think they shipped something like 200k for the first day, since you said it would have been already over if they hadn't shipped again, and considering that Galaxy and Galaxy 2 FD had been in the 150k territory, and that retailers blamed them for the low shipments (so, they had to be even lower than Galaxy FW - 250k - , in my opinion).
Bigger shipments for weekends, eh?
So, they're readying for this and the next month! :p

BowieZ said:
Whoever runs or wrote for that Arabic site I quoted.

Covert Ninty release of 3DS XL Revision with bigger battery.
That would be King Zell, and I the little Arabic I understand is enough to tell that's what written there.

400k-500k is high for the first week, but since Chris says there wont be shortages, is achievable I suppose.

Mpl90

walking fiend said:
That would be King Zell, and I the little Arabic I understand is enough to tell that's what written there.

400k-500k is high for the first week, but since Chris says there wont be shortages, is achievable I suppose.

Naaah, Galaxy did 250k the FW, and it had a serious problem of overshipment (700k or so).
We have to see if demand continues to be big with this new shipments... and so, also to see if the White obtains to attract new customers, who will buy also Mario.
It could even do 400k, but everything goes in a great way. 350-370k is what it should achieve in its first week.

frankie_baby said:
I'd assume its just a tv with footage of Mario on it

If so it would be something new AFAIK, it's the first time I ever saw any 3DS footage on a screen other than the actual 3DS tiny one.
Actually I reckon that could be some kind of holographic stuff that gives you the illusion to animate if you change your perspective.

saichi

If 3DS only moves 1 million units in Nov + Dec in Japan, it would be a colossal failure considering it sold 270K in Oct with no big games.

I think the 2-2.5 million prediction is actually the more realistic one.

Between november and december there'a almost 9 weeks.

Calculating around 100k a week, 1 milion is pretty doable, 2.5 mlns maybe it's a tad too much, unless both Monster hunter 3G and Mario kart 7 turn out to be milion sellers by the end of the year.

saichi said:
If 3DS only moves 1 million units in Nov + Dec in Japan, it would be a colossal failure considering it sold 270K in Oct with no big games.

I think the 2-2.5 million prediction is actually the more realistic one.
Me, 2; it would actually conform pretty well to holiday effects in the other years as well; but I suspect it may even do more due to all the games coming out in these two months

walking fiend said:
due to all the games coming out in these two months

Again, to ricapitulate, what are the big guns coming out shortly, aside from MH3G and MK7?

Inazuma eleven, Gundam, that Dragon quest spinoff, Layton vs Ace Attorney, that Pokemon spinoff, that Labyrinth thingy and what more?

You might not notice the difference just to look at it, but Famitsu has changed the internals of their weekly software and hardware pages--so those of us with things parsing them probably have revisions to do.

Road

Gianni Merryman said:
I wouldn't underestimate how good MH3G bundles could perform, I can easily see them selling like hot cakes.

Two differents(technically more than two) bundles are going to be released IIRC, one with a limited white 3DS with MH marks drawn on it, the other one including the second analog add-on.

Should the bundles be convenient, that's to say cheaper than buying separetely 3DS + MH3G, it could make a pretty good selling point for whoever hasn't purchased a 3DS yet.

Speaking of which, do anyone know what are MH3G exstimated shipments like?
I am also curious about what Mario Land's initial shipment.
The bundle costs 20,800 yen. Buying a separate 3DS (15,000 yen) and a copy of MH3G (5,800 yen) costs 20,800 yen.

The bundle is attractive for the people invested in the series (limited console edition), but it might actually be cheaper to buy the game and a 3DS separately (if there's enough stock).

Gianni Merryman said:
Again, to ricapitulate, what are the big guns coming out shortly, aside from MH3G and MK7?

Inazuma eleven, Gundam, that Dragon quest spinoff, Layton vs Ace Attorney, that Pokemon spinoff, that Labyrinth thingy and what more?
Layton V Wright is 2012, as are Beyond the Labyrinth and whatever secret Pokemon game is coming.

This year's "big" games are Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, MH3G and Inazuma Go imo. Those are the ones that'll break 500k. OOT 3D will leg it past 500k too, and maybe Nintendogs will too depending on it's holiday rise.

Gianni Merryman said:

Love Plus, too.

Let's face it, you don't really need more. That's the best Holiday lineup for a single system in Japan for as long as I can remember.

Exterminieren said:
Let's face it, you don't really need more. That's the best Holiday lineup for a single system in Japan for as long as I can remember.

Yes, it really is a pretty strong line-up indeed, but what are realistically the odds for 3DS to sell more than 2 mls based on these games in this early stage?
Even if both MH3G and MK7 should turn out to be million sellers by the end of the year, ir still wouldn't be enough, even though Love plus and Inazuma eleven could do the trick.

Gianni Merryman said:
Yes, it really is a pretty strong line-up indeed, but what are realistically the odds for 3DS to sell more than 2 mls based on these games in this early stage?
Even if both MH3G and MK7 should turn out to be million sellers by the end of the year, ir still wouldn't be enough, even though Love plus and Inazuma eleven could do the trick.
3DS has sold more than a quarter of a million this past month with basically zero significant games. I hardly think it's unreasonable to suggest that games actually arriving, coupled with the new bundles, coupled with the holidays, may see a significant boost to 3DS sales; enough to comfortably take them above 2 mill. DS and PSP sold a mill last Christmas, in advanced points in their lifespans, and with nowhere near as good lineups as this one.

I could well see 3DS going past DS's record sales week, actually.

test_account

XP-39C²
walking fiend said:
Games you mentioned, share four very important points:

1. Platform consistency: MGS1-3 on PS2, MGS4 on PS3. Mario on a Nintendo platform
2. Few entries per generation: 2 MGS last gen, 2 this gen. Three 3D mario is last decade.
3. Demographic consistency: PS3 being the core console like PS2 was. 3DS being a Nintendo console like DS was
4. Not being mainstream games and have a very defined set of fans. (3DL IS considerably more mainstream than MGS, and it will in the end 'easily' suprass SMG 1m sale, but it will need the installed base to increase)

Also, they are not as much as MH tied to a community experience, specially that it is 'local' muliplayer based. I believe MK users also increased much more than 3D Marios or Zelda increased after DS and Wii selling bucks, and think it is because MK sharing this feature (and also not sharing 4)

I could think of other examples that fit with your description, FF XIII being a very other major example.
That is true, there are some similarites as you mentioned. It is also similarities with MH this time around, it shares being on a popular handheld :) I dont think that the size of the userbase matters all that much this time around with 3G actually. The 3DS is cheaply prices and it has seen a good increase in popularity/interest over the last period of time. If 3G "bombs", then i think it is more about the game itself and not so much about the size of the userbase.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Is there a reason why amazon is charging 18K Yen for the Ice WHite 3ds ?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Oops, oh thats right - thanks both of you.
I read earlier that the Ice White model wasnt sellin as good as expected, guess thats wrong for amazon.

Dalthien

Spiegel said:
MH3G is not going to sell 4.6M, obviously, but comparing it to games released before the franchise exploded or MHTri makes no sense.
I think the main reason for using MHTri as a point of comparison is because that is essentially what Capcom has done. They've set their FY target for the game pretty much exactly at what Tri sold - so that makes Tri an easy and convenient point of reference.

Of course, Capcom has a pretty horrible history of sales projections - so that doesn't really mean a whole lot. But you can't blame people for using the comparison when the game's publisher has basically used the exact same comparison.

cvxfreak said:
Famitsu had a feature on Nintendo's potential holiday performance and they had some new sales figures for various series on hand:

Monster Hunter Tri: 1,077,273
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd: 4,549,709
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD: 392,155
Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G: 4,175,712
(others available, but don't look updated from previous numbers)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: 443,467
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks: 740,109
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: 902,386
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: 554,109

Mario Kart DS: 3,835,587
Mario Kart Wii: 3,271,343

New Super Mario Bros.: >6.2 million

3DS Hardware Predictions
There are also 3 people making predictions for 3DS hardware sales in November-December. One guy from SMBC Nikko Securities thinks that 3DS can potentially sell 2.0-2.5 million in 2 months. Expects Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 and MH3G to perform strongly. Zelda SS and Just Dance Wii will be the Wii's big titles to pay attention to.

Someone from Bic Camera in Yurakucho (Tokyo) has more realistic predictions of around 1 million and expects MH3G to do very well because of the big sales of the PSP games and the fact that Tri G preorders have exceeded MH3 Wii pre-orders by quite a margin. Inazuma Eleven Go is also expected to do well.

Finally, a professor from Ritsumeikan University thinks 3DS hardware will sell around 1 million. The first 4 months of the system saw sales of 1.3 million. For systems like PSP, first year November sales usually rise by 1.3-1.6 times, while December ranges from 3.5 to 5.76 times the normal amount. That leaves 200K in November and 800K in December for 3DS (a rough estimate). He also expects the 2 Mario games, MH3G and Inazuma Eleven Go to surpass 500K each.

Just did a bit of math on the last prediction. If November rises by a minimum of 1.3x over October as he suggests and 3.5x rise from November to December and the other possibilities.

270*1.3=351k
351*3.5=1228.5k
Total: 1579.5k

270*1.6=432k
432*3.5=1512k
Total: 1942k

270*1.6=432k
432k*5.76=2488.32
Total: 2920.32k

I think the 2nd total there is approximately what the 3DS could see, the 3rd total is a wee bit too much in my opinion.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
cvxfreak said:
Finally, a professor from Ritsumeikan University thinks 3DS hardware will sell around 1 million. The first 4 months of the system saw sales of 1.3 million. For systems like PSP, first year November sales usually rise by 1.3-1.6 times, while December ranges from 3.5 to 5.76 times the normal amount. That leaves 200K in November and 800K in December for 3DS (a rough estimate). He also expects the 2 Mario games, MH3G and Inazuma Eleven Go to surpass 500K each.
This analysis is...

That guy is a professor?

Mpl90

Chris1964 said:
This analysis is...

That guy is a professor?

He'll fell SOOOOO stupid.
Especially when 3DS will do 200k in two weeks of November, if everything goes well XD

Road

I like how he used the PSP as the basis for his prediction because we don't really have any other indication on how a Nintendo system would perform on the holiday season.

Spiegel

Dalthien said:
I think the main reason for using MHTri as a point of comparison is because that is essentially what Capcom has done. They've set their FY target for the game pretty much exactly at what Tri sold - so that makes Tri an easy and convenient point of reference.

Of course, Capcom has a pretty horrible history of sales projections - so that doesn't really mean a whole lot. But you can't blame people for using the comparison when the game's publisher has basically used the exact same comparison.

Well, I'm thinking that if Capcom seriously expects only 1.2M of copies for MH3G investors will be asking for blood soon.

I mean, if I were an investor I would want to ask some questions to the one from management who was responsable of deciding that releasing MH3G for 3DS only (expecting 1.2M after the last game did >5M on two consoles) was the best option for a MH game released in December 2011.

1.2m is only Capcom's expectation for the fiscal year. If MH3G is anything like previous handheld installments, it'll be selling a significant amount afterwards too.

Besides, Tri is likely contractually bound to Nintendo. 3DS seems like a better bet than Wii anyway, and what MH3G is really doing is base building for MH4. We're at a generational transition, sacrificing short term sales for long term goals is going to be a common occurrence.

Mpl90 said:
He'll fell SOOOOO stupid.
Especially when 3DS will do 200k in two weeks of November, if everything goes well XD
My guess is the October totals weren't in yet when he made the prediction. Pretty insane to think 3DS is going to sell in November than it did the month previous.

FoneBone

lunchwithyuzo said:
Besides, Tri is likely contractually bound to Nintendo. 3DS seems like a better bet than Wii anyway, and what MH3G is really doing is base building for MH4. We're at a generational transition, sacrificing short term sales for long term goals is going to be a common occurrence.
This. It'd be different if they were expecting MH4 to only sell 1.2 million.

Top Bottom