• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 43, 2012 (Oct 22 - Oct 28)

That will really tough. LL is roughly 400k behind PSP + Vita. It's going to have to average about 70k MORE than both every week until Jan 1st.

Neither PSP nor Vita (especially Vita) will have a great holiday, so that would be the time when it could.

saichi

That will be really tough. LL is roughly 400k behind PSP + Vita. It's going to have to average about 70k MORE than both every week until Jan 1st.

Completely forgot it's end of Oct already but we still have 9 weeks though. I would think LL will ship a lot more than PSV+PSP combined in December.

Maybe they are waiting for Soul Sacrifice to drop the price or something, but I just can't see that being the big savior...

Not with DQ7R and monster hunter sandwiching it . Sony really did not know how to pick a good time to release that game. They should delay SS again, add more content (maybe as DLC or something), they are sending it to die right now.

yon61

Ugh, those Vita sales are just horrendous.

And what has Sony done to try and change that? From what I can tell, barely anything at all. I would hope that they cut the price before the holidays and start making some desirable bundles, but that is a tiny piece of the puzzle when you have no desirable software, but even a price cut seems too far gone for Sony. Nintendo actually cared about their handheld and took some drastic measures to help it grow and succeed while it was struggling while Sony doesn't do a damn thing. Certainly lends to the notion that Sony just doesn't care about the platform. As much as I hate to say it, the platform has flatlined at this point. No one is making games for it because the hardware isn't selling and the market is so small, but Sony isn't doing anything to fix it and are relying on current software that isn't doing a damn thing to sell the hardware... it is like a revolving door of failure. I love the platform, but I just don't see much life for it. I would tend to think these numbers are affecting at least some sales. I can't see someone wanting to drop a hefty price for the Vita when there isn't really a future that Sony has laid out for it.

Maybe they are waiting for Soul Sacrifice to drop the price or something, but I just can't see that being the big savior...

The problem with Sony is that they do not have the money or the resources. Particularly the game development; they've spread themselves thin having to develop games for three different platforms, including PS4 which is undisputedly the most important platform right now for the future of SCE.

The problem with Sony is that they do not have the money or the resources. Particularly the game development; they've spread themselves thin having to develop games for three different platforms, including PS4 which is undisputedly the most important platform right now for the future of SCE.

I don't recall the gaming division being in total dire straights, but yes, the money situation is a problem for them. However, they need to find a way or they may as well just announce in 6 months that production of the Vita has been suspended indefinitely. The Vita is turning into the new 360 in Japan...

i expected 1k for SFvsTekken Vita, so... it's a great result, f**k yeah !!!!!!!

i don't run to forumeye, i run for money :p

Again, I didn't say, mention or imply that was a great result; I just wrote that it sold more than I expected, and other people here thought it would have sold less than this. No comments on the goodness of the result itself.

test_account

XP-39C²
It is still strong but it doesn't mean Japanese gamers would just go out to buy a handheld that doesn't have the content that interests them.
Sure, but what was said earlier was just "released a dedicated handheld fully knowing the state of the market". The market is strong, a dedicated handheld can do well. This goes for the 3DS too.

Zenaku

Wonderful for BDFF. The release of the download version tomorrow could possibly affect the sales charts, but the next step for BD is for us to see how long it takes to break into the 3DS eShops sale charts.

BDFF is ranked 1st on the user ranking charts already. The only full game on the sale charts is NSMB2, which is 19th on the full chart (just above The Rolling Western and below GB Kirby) or 12th if you just display download software and no VC.

Oersted

I don't recall the gaming division being in total dire straights, but yes, the money situation is a problem for them. However, they need to find a way or they may as well just announce in 6 months that production of the Vita has been suspended indefinitely. The Vita is turning into the new 360 in Japan...

Last time they released numbers, Sony´s gaming division had a 4 billion loss.

Out of all those 4 points the most important one is the games and I ask where are those games going to come from? Sony aint doing anything for it and going forward with the PS4 the Vita will become even more reliant on 3rd parties. Now with these sales I think 3rd parties will continue to look at the 3DS as the 'go to system'. What reasons do they have to go with the Vita instead?

Sony helped Level-5 to advertise LBX W! That's a great support to third parties if you ask me!

In the past 18 months Sony has spent over $3 billion dollars buying, 11% of Olympus, 50% of SE, So-net, EMI Music publishing, Left Bank Pictures, Sucker Punch, and some other stuff.

They have the money, they still have money in the bank and can still liquidize lots of assets if they need to. Recent rumor (that was quickly shut down by Kaz) suggesting sales of SPE and SME was speculated to be worth significantly more than Sony's current market share.. Just because their financials are bad and they aren't investing much in gaming right now doesn't mean they don't have the cash to spend.

Turning the vita around at this point would be a miracle, something we have never seen before in the gaming industry. They were able to turn the PS3 and PSP around, but they were never this bad. Not in their first year anyway. I have already stated that IMO they should cancel the vita and let it die. Support it with PSMobile and stuff. Revitalizing it would take too much of an effort and too much cash to get new SKUs ("LL" or tablet, "mini" or phone, and PSV 2000), along with a new, focused marketing campaign, and moneyhats of huge franchises. Even with that it would be a high risk, low reward venture as more likely than not they would lose money in the process. As a matter of fact, they would need to straight up buy a majority stake in Square Enix and/or the Monster Hunter IP from Capcom to actually make it a moderate risk/low reward venture.

I honestly think the smart thing to do would be to cancel the vita and let it die.

yon61

What little money Sony makes from their gaming division is wiped out by the overall losses the whole corporation is taking.

At this point Sony are either trying to deceive people about the situation the Vita is in, or they're straight up deluded.

ohlawd

The Japanese really don't like the Vita... I wonder why, because there are some amazing games available to them. They just don't bite. Is it the price? Should it be a lot cheaper with built in memory and bundled with a game? Or are they just too Nintendo-minded?

Compare the Japanese libraries between the 3DS and Vita. This shouldn't even be a question.

wow @ those Borderlands 2 numbers. How did the 1st one sell?

Wonderful Bravely Default numbers.

XOMTOR

I've never seen separate sales data for the PSPGo but the reception towards the Vita certainly feels similar.

Anyone think RE6 will break 1 million after everything passes over the holidays? Could we see another million seller on the PS3? Wouldn't that make a total of two with FFXIII?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It is not. Vita will do good, I believe in it. Next year will be a turnaround. I know people like to call doom on a system early but you forget that:

Its stil the 1st year
No games yet
No pricecut yet
and no new revision yet.
It's not a marathon, it's a spartathlon.

Anyone think RE6 will break 1 million after everything passes over the holidays? Could we see another million seller on the PS3? Wouldn't that make a total of two with FFXIII?
Not before the budget release.

PSV | 5.806 |

ibXhAGnMi8u9X.jpg

sphinx

the piano man
where does Vita stand now compared to all other consoles in japan's history?

after being beaten by Gamecube/Dreamcast, the next hardware reference in Japan is the wonderswan, right??

or was there a Sega or Atari handheld that did better than Vita that we don't know of?

mclem

So, I wonder if the demos that SE released for BD helped the sales because I seriously wasn't expecting it to do this good.

I think more than that it's been benefitting from good word of mouth and I think the social elements are well-suited for Japan.

mclem

They really shouldn't have loaned that money to Disney.

Really wondering where BD will end up, now. I think there's a good chance of it surpassing 300k before it drops out of the top50.

Burai

shitonmychest57
In the past 18 months Sony has spent over $3 billion dollars buying, 11% of Olympus, 50% of SE, So-net, EMI Music publishing, Left Bank Pictures, Sucker Punch, and some other stuff.

They have the money, they still have money in the bank and can still liquidize lots of assets if they need to. Recent rumor (that was quickly shut down by Kaz) suggesting sales of SPE and SME was speculated to be worth significantly more than Sony's current market share.. Just because their financials are bad and they aren't investing much in gaming right now doesn't mean they don't have the cash to spend.

Turning the vita around at this point would be a miracle, something we have never seen before in the gaming industry. They were able to turn the PS3 and PSP around, but they were never this bad. Not in their first year anyway. I have already stated that IMO they should cancel the vita and let it die. Support it with PSMobile and stuff. Revitalizing it would take too much of an effort and too much cash to get new SKUs ("LL" or tablet, "mini" or phone, and PSV 2000), along with a new, focused marketing campaign, and moneyhats of huge franchises. Even with that it would be a high risk, low reward venture as more likely than not they would lose money in the process. As a matter of fact, they would need to straight up buy a majority stake in Square Enix and/or the Monster Hunter IP from Capcom to actually make it a moderate risk/low reward venture.

I honestly think the smart thing to do would be to cancel the vita and let it die.

The original Xbox had quite a decent turnaround from utter failure to giving Microsoft a foot in the door so people would take them seriously for the next generation.

Sadly, that required an absolute fuck-ton of money to make happen. They were practically giving the Xbox away at one point and throwing moneyhats all over the place.

4 billion yen... or something like a $40 million USD loss, which is a lot but I do remember a discussion about part of that being possibly attributed to R&D. Of course, that could be totally wrong, but it would make sense. Yeah, they had a loss, but the loss wasn't nearly as bad as much of the rest of Sony's divisions. I suppose it would be accurate to say that losing any money puts you in a dire straight, but compared to the rest of Sony it isn't as bad. Also, I recall the gaming division being profitable a few years ago, so it doesn't seem like total dire straights for SCE. I suspect the PS4 is hampering them pretty bad though.

What little money Sony makes from their gaming division is wiped out by the overall losses the whole corporation is taking.

At this point Sony are either trying to deceive people about the situation the Vita is in, or they're straight up deluded.

Yes, I am aware of that. The entire company is having a tough time, but letting the Vita dwindle isn't doing them any favour and they need to figure something out pretty damn soon. Sony saying they will support the Vita for 10 years is laughable at this rate... they've shown barely anything thus far to reassure people they even support the damn thing now.

Kazerei

Banned
I can't imagine Falcom beeing happy with those terrible sales for both Y's and Kiseki

I really do wonder how the niche publishers feel about the situation. The PSP was a nice home for them. But will they stick with the PSV, or move to the 3DS?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
This

Nice legs for BD :)

This game looks fun. I think its based on one of their tv shows. Where contestants have to run away from men in suits and do stuff to unlock some wrist device. Can't remember what the show was called.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is the first time a Vita game charted in its first week and Vita sales went DOWN.

Granted it was just SFvT.

jman2050

You'd think the Vita would be able to establish itself as a go-to system for hardcore animu otaku gamers except for the fact that the PSP already has that niche and has had it for years.

As said before, wrong machine wrong time etc. etc.

Cipherr

Next week:

THE RETURN OF THE KING

Are yall ready?

Is that really expected to have an effect on HW and SW? Isnt that just a re-release bundle with a black LL? I understand it may be a new color, but that doesnt seem like something that would have a large impact at all.

This game:

13./10. [3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.05} (¥5.040) - 10.135 / 207.858 (-27%)

has now sold more than any other Vita game, am I right?

I think Hot Shots Golf for PSV got near 300k.

Not with DQ7R and monster hunter sandwiching it . Sony really did not know how to pick a good time to release that game. They should delay SS again, add more content (maybe as DLC or something), they are sending it to die right now.

Yeah that Q1 2013 DQ7+MH4 lineup for the 3DS is a fucking monster. If SS is set to release in that period, they should move it.

Top Bottom