• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2012 (Nov 05 - Nov 11)

I feel so so sorry for vita and Sony. Like many, I didn't buy a vita because there is not a single system seller for me. I bought most of Sony's consoles at launch, including the psp, and it is just sad to see the company collapse to the state it's in right now. I'm afraid that history is going to repeat itself and what is happening to vita is exactly what's to come on the ps4.

I don't agree with the bolded at all and don't see the correlation there. Handheld and console markets are very different, and so is Sony's history of success in those markets. Here's what I think will happen with PS4:

* PS4 (WW) and the 720 (NA/EU) will blow Wii U out of the water in sales because Wii U doesn't have the fresh appeal and newness that the Wiimote had. A tablet isn't a new device for consumers, the magic trick that everyone wants to see is not there this time around; it's just a tablet, one that can't even be taken out of the house.

* They'll get the 3rd-party support for all of the major multi-platform games and Wii U won't except maybe early on in the gen when the games are still last gen-ish. This will help Sony in Japan for sure.

* Sony is not going to make the same mistakes they did with PS3. Namely, the $599 (and whatever that is in Yen) price tag. They're also not going to have a terrible launch line-up with the only notable JPN release being that Gundam game (iirc). They're also not going to have at launch a bare bones online infrastructure missing lots of key features that their competitor has. They're also not going to use a CPU that makes development needlessly complicated for devs.

The only concern I have about the PS4 is when it releases. Doesn't feel like it'll come out in 2013 so it could leave the entire holiday season to the 720/U in NA and EU and to the U in Japan. If I had to guess I'd say it releases in March 2014, or maybe a paper launch in December if they're lucky.

Edit- got the first post in a new page, I am victorious

demidar

Sony is projecting shipments of 35 million smartphones by the end of the fiscal year. They will be fortunate to reach ltd sales of 5 million for the Vita by then.

What if Sony had simply branded one of their touchscreen smartphones as a gaming device? Get all Android games/apps plus Sony exclusives on the same device, only $199 with 2 year contract, $399-$599 alone. Sure, core gamers would turn up their noses at touchscreen versions of Uncharted and Wipeout, but what's the big loss? These customers are already snubbing the Vita for sub-PS3 graphics and features. Put an HDMI out and a USB port on that sumbitch and it would be ready to rock with a TV and Dual Shock 3. My Galaxy Note 2 can play GTA3 at 720p, I'm pretty sure that's an acceptable level of fidelity for handheld gamers, and I'm damn sure Samsung isn't taking a bath on the hardware.

Sony Computer Entertainment failed to leverage one of their brand's biggest advantages. The Vita is so specifically targeted to one audience that it's the Virtua Fighter 5 of hardware. The Xperia line will make them one of the largest smartphone makers in the world; the Vita might not make it to the first price drop.

Internally rendered or just upscaled? Either way I would expect more people to just play on the console equivalents at home rather than buy a mobile version and plug it in to the TV. How expensive would these theoretical games be because people have come to expect very cheap games on phones.

Hero

I think it's funny you think Sony won't repeat the same mistakes they made with the PS3 for the PS4 when they made the same mistakes on the PSV that they did with the PSP.

I don't agree with the bolded at all and don't see the correlation there. Handheld and console markets are very different, and so is Sony's history of success in those markets. Here's what I think will happen with PS4:

* PS4 (WW) and the 720 (NA/EU) will blow Wii U out of the water in sales because Wii U doesn't have the fresh appeal and newness that the Wiimote had. A tablet isn't a new device for consumers, the magic trick that everyone wants to see is not there this time around; it's just a tablet, one that can't even be taken out of the house.

* They'll get the 3rd-party support for all of the major multi-platform games and Wii U won't except maybe early on in the gen when the games are still last gen-ish. This will help Sony in Japan for sure.

* Sony is not going to make the same mistakes they did with PS3. Namely, the $599 (and whatever that is in Yen) price tag. They're also not going to have a terrible launch line-up with the only notable JPN release being that Gundam game (iirc). They're also not going to have at launch a bare bones online infrastructure missing lots of key features that their competitor has. They're also not going to use a CPU that makes development needlessly complicated for devs.

The only concern I have about the PS4 is when it releases. Doesn't feel like it'll come out in 2013 so it could leave the entire holiday season to the 720/U in NA and EU and to the U in Japan. If I had to guess I'd say it releases in March 2014, or maybe a paper launch in December if they're lucky.

First off, while I agree WiiU won't get major Western third party support I do believe they will get the lions share of third party support in Japan.

Second, PS3 price wasn't that drastic in Japan. It was barely 10,000yen more than the PS2 was at launch and the cheaper 20gig was sold for over a year there.

I think it's funny you think Sony won't repeat the same mistakes they made with the PS3 for the PS4 when they made the same mistakes on the PSV that they did with the PSP.

The PSV had it's own set of mistakes where most don't apply to PSP. Sony secured support like Crisis Core for PSP in the beginning. They didn't do that for Vita. Honestly if Vita had released 7 years ago it probably would have set the world on fire (speaking in terms of design and games offered and not necessarily graphics power)

PS4 (WW) and the 720 (NA/EU) will blow Wii U out of the water in sales because Wii U doesn't have the fresh appeal and newness that the Wiimote had.

You're going to be very surprised with the PS4/720 sales next year.

It's not just in Sony's hands, though. It's entirely possible at this point that Japanese third parties will ignore Wii U for titles aimed at the worldwide market, which, again, means de facto PS3/PS4 exclusives in Japan.

PSP did not have proprietary memory and launched at $50 cheaper than the Vita.

saichi

As yall must already know... Vita's worst week ever.

Media Create
1. 4,021 (Nov 05, 2012)
2. 4,842 (Oct 29, 2012)
3. 5,806 (Oct 22, 2012)

Famitsu
1. 4,263 (Nov 05, 2012)
2. 5,368 (Oct 29, 2012)
3. 5,849 (May 07, 2012)

Tough month (27k), but Sony will release two new colors tomorrow and I think Vita won't dip below 10k for the rest of the year (holiday boost). I wouldn't be surprised if it does though.

It would be really sad that holiday boost only keep it above 10K.

demidar

It's not just in Sony's hands, though. It's entirely possible at this point that Japanese third parties will ignore Wii U for titles aimed at the worldwide market, which, again, means de facto PS3/PS4 exclusives in Japan.

I don't think that's likely, but I will gladly laugh at the ones who will try.

In your dreams. ;)

Really dude? Take this shit elsewhere.

Anyway I don't think Vita will stay above 10k until December. It'll get a slight boost next week and then fall right back below 10k. I'm not even convinced December will keep it above 10k for all of December, and will be surprised if it ever breaks 20k.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
PSP did not have proprietary memory and launched at $50 cheaper than the Vita.

At the point it was released though Pro Duo was almost proprietary and was railed on for being too expensive. Only Sony really used it and it wasn't until months later when micro SD got big that people made those nice handy adapters.

Now though? No one else uses PS Vita's memory and its too small for an easy work around.

SO you believe that they'll skip both Wii U and 3DS at all?
even the 3ds?

3DS, I don't know. It will probably get the traditional support leading handhelds get.

I think most of the titles that were big this generation on the HD consoles will stay on those consoles' successors. Resident Evil 7, for example.

In your dreams. ;)

Well, that's certainly not something I'd like to see, it'd probably be an extremely stupid series of decisions, and we know far too little about Wii U's 2013 lineup to say for sure.

But there's enough evidence - Kojima's inane "we'd have to make an exclusive because of the controller" excuse from earlier this year, no Wii U version of MG Rising, Capcom seemingly not greenlighting any timely Wii U ports of their recent or upcoming PS3/360 titles, Square's quasi-denial of Lightning Returns, the Agni's Philosophy demo seemingly indicating that SE is focused on competing with Western studios in the tech race - to say that it's at least a genuine possibility.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
3DS, I don't know. It will probably get the traditional support leading handhelds get.

I think most of the titles that were big this generation on the HD consoles will stay on those consoles' successors. Resident Evil 7, for example.

It all depends on how easy it is to make a scalable version of their game.

At the point it was released though Pro Duo was almost proprietary and was railed on for being too expensive. Only Sony really used it and it wasn't until months later when micro SD got big that people made those nice handy adapters.

Now though? No one else uses PS Vita's memory and its too small for an easy work around.

I used the memory card from my digital camera on my PSP. Vita cards work on Vita and nothing else.

No it didnot in Europe. PSP base model launched at €249 like the Vita. I paid €299 for my Giga pack(1GB card included, which was over €100 at the time).

This thread is about Japanese sales, not European sales. In Japan the PSP launch price was around 5,000 yen cheaper than the Vita launch price.

Hardware YTD:

PSP: 694,154

Vita: 589,727

There is ZERO excuse for this.

To put this in perspective.....here's the past eight weeks:

PSP: 127,396

Vita: 59,315

Sony should be asking itself why it's former console is so thoroughly outselling it's NEW, SHINY handheld

I wonder if the same happened with DS vs 3DS for some time? And does it happens with for example iPad 3 and iPad 4? Anyone has some data?

First off, while I agree WiiU won't get major Western third party support I do believe they will get the lions share of third party support in Japan.

Second, PS3 price wasn't that drastic in Japan. It was barely 10,000yen more than the PS2 was at launch and the cheaper 20gig was sold for over a year there.

So if the launch prices were similar what was the JPN launch line-up for PS2? I can't imagine it was nearly as bad PS3's so that might have had something to do with it. The months after the PS2 launch were probably better too.

Your points have reason, but I'm not sold.

Like previous first time incumbents (SNES and the PS2), the Wii U will enjoy some residual effect of the Wii's popularity, so there's that. Also, while the Wii did not alienate hardcore gamers, its focus was primarily set away from the trending direction of popular hardcore franchises, which is something not intended to happen with the Wii U. Nintendo has made it very clear that the Wii U's aim is deadset on the more hardcore demographic, realizing that there's no real long term sustainability in a fickle casual market that's slowly being eaten away at by smart phones and iOS. Nintendo certainly doesn't want to abandon what they've started with the Wii, but I expect their latest console to be a healthier, more balanced system. In fact, I'd be willing to wager that it'll be their best home console to date.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Of course 3DS is pretty safe, it's the dominating platform! :D
But you were effectively talking about the home environment from the beginning, so your point stands. I still hope Wii U can improve in a good way from the Wii; launch period is a MASSIVE improvement, so let's see what the future will give us.

So if the launch prices were similar what was the JPN launch line-up for PS2? I can't imagine it was nearly as bad PS3's so that might have had something to do with it. The months after the PS2 launch were probably better too.

The best PS2 launch day title was Ridge Racer 5.

meppi

We need someone to start doing those PSP vs DS charts for the 3DS vs Vita where you can tell how many weeks (or years :p) it would take for Vita to overtake 3DS if the 3DS stopped selling and the Vita kept selling at the same rate it does that week.
Should be fun.

Laguna

Banned
Well, that's certainly not something I'd like to see, it'd be an extremely stupid series of decisions, and we know far too little about Wii U's 2013 lineup to say for sure.

But there's enough evidence - Kojima's inane "we'd have to make an exclusive because of the controller" excuse from earlier this year, no Wii U version of MG Rising, Capcom seemingly not greenlighting any timely Wii U ports of their recent or upcoming PS3/360 titles, Square's quasi-denial of Lightning Returns - to say that

The bigger question should be what PS4 will be and cost. Just face it PS3 is already declining and by the time PS4 is available PS3 will be even less relevant and WiiU will have a nice headstart worldwide. In Japan PS3 also was a far less popular system than PSP and its successor PSV is a gigantic flop, why should they bet on PS3 the succesor of a far less popular system the risk that it will fail as well isn´t out of the question, while completely ignoring WiiU a system with a likely decent userbase? This gen the biggest reason for publishers decisions were GC->Wii and PS2->PS3.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
EO IV best go digital in the US, apparently the Japanese version is going on the digital service in South Korea.

Boney

Banned
Well, it only acts like a dead platform. There could be some miracle release or ridiculous price cut that could bring it back to say Dreamcast level next year, maybe even low end GCN!

when the emperor looks naked, the emperor is naked

We need someone to start doing those PSP vs DS charts for the 3DS vs Vita where you can tell how many weeks (or years :p) it would take for Vita to overtake 3DS if the 3DS stopped selling and the Vita kept selling at the same rate it does that week.
Should be fun.

The year 2046

Xater

Hardware YTD:

PSP: 694,154

Vita: 589,727

There is ZERO excuse for this.

To put this in perspective.....here's the past eight weeks:

PSP: 127,396

Vita: 59,315

Sony should be asking itself why it's former console is so thoroughly outselling it's NEW, SHINY handheld

Sony should be in panic mode right now, but it doesn't seem like they are...

NeonZ

I really like my Vita, but how is it possible to keep making games for it when people just do not want it?

Also, doesn't DW sell better in Japan usually?

It's an Empires game (mixing kingdom strategy with DW battles, no standard story mode), those usually don't sell as much as the main ones.

DW6 Empires sold around 150k in the end though, so this game might be doing worse than usual. It probably helps that they've announced DW8 before 7 Empires was even out, and Koei themselves are pretty much marketing 8 as an upgraded 7, removing all reason to pick up this Empires besides the strategic elements and custom characters...

EO IV best go digital in the US, apparently the Japanese version is going on the digital service in South Korea.
It's sorta strange some of the 'retail-only' games in the eShop have a marked 'PRICE: TBD' on them, while some don't. I wonder if some of these are actually headed to the eShop with no announcement. Off the top of my head, Zero Escape: VLR and Harvest Moon are marked this way.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I usually believe you.
but this means that nothing will change?
Wii u ignored by third parties as they did for the Wii, despite the fact that it will allow for simpler porting/multi (not specifically due to hw gaps) and despite the fact that wii u is the successor of the wii and not of the gc, and despite the fact that N seems aware of its previous lack of support, and despite the better debut with Mosou games, MH and DQ and so on? are you basically saying that wii u will be the wii all over again?

could be.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You're going to be very surprised with the PS4/720 sales next year.

Doubtful. The big third party publishers are already preparing next gen games for those consoles and will be supporting them in full force. A far cry from the U whose support consists almost entirely of ports of games available for less money on cheaper consoles.

Of course price is a major factor, and I doubt Microsoft is dumb enough to go higher than $399, which would really hurt the appeal of a $350 U. Sony on the other hand...god only knows.

Top Bottom