• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2012 (Nov 05 - Nov 11)

Takao

Banned
You should never assume third party support until the games are actually shown. Case in point, the new COD game for Vita that everyone held up so high in those threads then got a 3/10 in reviews from places like Game Informer. This goes for any system.

My assumption was based off of previous SCE platforms. Obviously Vita is not like Sony's previous platforms.

According to Google, 79% of tablet usage occurs at home. I don't think it will be that much different in Japan

edit: Full research report is at the bottom of the link, slide 14

So 20% of use isn't? That's a small sum?

Not to mention that what incentive would people have to use the game pad over a real tablet which does everything the game pad does but much better save for streaming games?

Not to mention that what incentive would people have to use the game pad over a real tablet which does everything the game pad does but much better save for streaming games?

Well its quite possible the gamepad may be better for web browsing than a tablet

DGRE

Banned
How so? Isn't the browser gimped? not sure

It sounds like you haven't really done your research. The browser is quite robust and even has some pretty awesome interactivity with the TV, such as watching a video while continuing to browse. Far better than anything currently available on tablets (besides some 4.2 android tablets).

It'll not be a great browser just due to no-capacitative.
But it will be a superior media player if were counting its user along with a TV. And as you say games.

Its not going toe to toe with tablets but it does perform functions some might buy one for. Of screen use especially, multifunction etc.

But no different from the many devices competing just for peoples attentioin,.

Culex

Banned
Depending on how well the Vita and 3DS end up selling for the rest of the calendar year, we could see LTD sales end at:

3DS: 9.9 million
Vita: 1.3 million.

Who here though the 3DS would end the year ~10 million and the Vita just over 1 million (10:1 margin)?

nmanma

My point was that not being able to take it outside the house is unlikely to be an important factor, since most of the use is in the house. If you're arguing that tablets are better and that's why the wiipad won't be used at all then I'm more willing to agree

On the other hand 34% of people use whatever is closest to them when looking for information (slide 34), so it's possible that a significant chunk of people won't mind and end up using it anyways (at least those in the 34% that don't care what is the device they're using as long as it's close, plus other people that would prefer using other devices, say a tablet, but end up settling for the wiipad)

It'll not be a great browser just due to no-capacitative.
But it will be a superior media player if were counting its user along with a TV. And as you say games.

Its not going toe to toe with tablets but it does perform functions some might buy one for. Of screen use especially, multifunction etc.

But no different from the many devices competing just for peoples attentioin,.

Sorry but capacitive is shite for browsing

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Depending on how well the Vita and 3DS end up selling for the rest of the calendar year, we could see LTD sales end at:

Who here though the 3DS would end the year ~10 million and the Vita just over 1 million (10:1 margin)?

where is that 300k coming from exactly?

Sorry but capacitive is shite for browsing
Lol its better than a mouse. Its the browsers themselves that are a bit lacking along with size but other than that there are no negatives imo.

Wii U will be more accurate just cause its slower.
If you only want one device for living room use its fucking great, but a tablet will work better as a browser.

Have you used it?

No, but I've used a resistive, single-touch, low-res screen before for browsing. My iPad has at least 4 choices of browsers, multi-touch, is high res, synchs my bookmarks/history immediately with the cloud and can save my pages for offline reading etc etc. I'm not saying the Wii U browser is going to be awful. It'll serve a purpose, but to say there's a chance it's going to be better than tablets that are made specifically to be good web browsers is silly.

Based on what? Instant access to the TV screen for browsing sounds pretty awesome to me.

At what resolution? Ever browse on a low res browser piped to a TV before? It's awful.

DGRE

Banned
No, but I've used a resistive, single-touch, low-res screen before for browsing. My iPad has at least 4 choices of browsers, multi-touch, is high res, synchs my bookmarks/history immediately with the cloud and can save my pages for offline reading etc etc. I'm not saying the Wii U browser is going to be awful. It'll serve a purpose, but to say there's a chance it's going to be better than tablets that are made specifically to be good web browsers is silly.

At what resolution? Ever browse on a low res browser piped to a TV before? It's awful.

It can't be just as good when you factor in things it does better than a tablet?

I had a resistive phone several years ago, browsing on it was pretty good, far more accurate than capacitive, yeah a bit slow overall compared to what I'm used to now but it was no where near as powerful as phones I've had since

It can't be just as good when you factor in things it does better than a tablet?

That's not what was asked, though, was it? "Is it possible that it's a better web browser than a tablet."

My answer is no. If you want to move the goal posts, change the question.

RM8

I'll never understand why people like capacitive. It makes me cry thinking Nintendo's next handheld could be capacitive.

The TV screen should be good resolution.

Stylus controls aren't that bad but the interface just doesnm' rt work as easily or well.

Not to say it won't be perfectly functional though. And yeah if I could use my nexus to browse on a big TV I'd be pretty excited.

So it is a point that thats a great feature, only really possible with the Wii U's hardware. But off TV its still not as functional.

Pro's and Con's. Won't splash the market but neither will it not affect some people's buying decisions.

guek

Banned
wtf are you talking about? the tablet resolution shouldn't determine the resolution on the tv. it doesn't for games, why the hell would it for the browser?

That said, you do bring up a good question. We don't know much about the browser, but I'd be pretty surprised if it output to the tv at an identical resolution to the pad.

I thought that would totally happen, but now it's looking like finish the year closer to 9.5 million.

A feature I very very rarely use nor does anyone I know, double tapping is far simpler
True, typing for me is the big plus. But stylus would allow more precision but slow things down a bit.

U are winning me over a wee bit but I still don't think tablet use is restrained to one room or that the pad is physically the best for holding and browsing.

Can see it competing for the living room against these devices very well. But not beyond this.

I'll never understand why people like capacitive. It makes me cry thinking Nintendo's next handheld could be capacitive.

I like capacitive a lot because of how responsive it is. I like resistive touchscreen a lot because of how precise it is. A combination of both would be perfect for me.

Maybe if you're on a small screen, but I've always used pinch to zoom on devices with a 5 inch screen or larger.

Perhaps then as I don't actually own a tablet (just a rather large phone) you may have a point I don't know, however seeing as the gamepad has numerous physical inputs zooming could be handled an even better waywwe'll just have to see

wtf are you talking about? the tablet resolution shouldn't determine the resolution on the tv. it doesn't for games, why the hell would it for the browser?

That said, you do bring up a good question. We don't know much about the browser, but I'd be pretty surprised if it output to the tv at an identical resolution to the pad.

Prepare to be surprised. That's my bet. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong, but based on the Nintendo video linked yesterday, I don't think I am.

What? Fuck no it isn't.

But you know what. If it is for you, that's great. But it's a bit presumptive to assume you know how much other people will enjoy this or that based on your own preferences.
True, am talking speed wise, precision etc. A mouse wins.

The problem tablets have is SIZE and that can never really be fixed.
And the Wii u still has this issue. Am not sure if it deals with it as well.
Prepare to be surprised. That's my bet. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong, but based on the Nintendo video linked yesterday, I don't think I am.
Eh? Co'mon. The browser will be the same resolution as the menu which will be HD. We have no reason based on everything we've seen so far to think otherwise.

True, typing for me is the big plus. But stylus would allow more precision but slow things down a bit.

U are winning me over a wee bit but I still don't think tablet use is restrained to one room or that the pad is physically the best for holding and browsing.

Can see it competing for the living room against these devices very well. But not beyond this.

Well the gamepad will work in more than one room, just depends on size and layout of your house how much of it'll work in, the side grips will probably make it better to hold than a tablet too

Alright, Sony needs to admit defeat and just drop the Vita altogether. It's a great system, but it's in the wrong place at the wrong time. And with Sony's current financial situation, they really just need to focus on the PS4.

Alright, Sony needs to admit defeat and just drop the Vita altogether. It's a great system, but it's in the wrong place at the wrong time. And with Sony's current financial situation, they really just need to focus on the PS4.

They've probably got a warehouse full of them they need to shift before they can drop it, may take some time

The gamepad range will probably be a better than advertised. We see this with battery life, they put the minimum or near minimum on the box but it lasts quite a bit longer.

I would actually feel more confident about the ps4 if sony would just go ahead and give up on the vita.

Well the gamepad will work in more than one room, just depends on size and layout of your house how much of it'll work in, the side grips will probably make it better to hold than a tablet tol

Take a look at the Wii U browser. From the short amount of footage they've shown, you can see all the features it's lacking that full fledged tablet browsers have. Is it the ideal browsing experience? No. Will it replace a tablet or laptop? Not a chance in hell. Would anyone be wise to choose the Wii U as a replacement for a tablet/computer? No. The ability to go to another room is neat, I guess, but very restrictive. Tablets aren't limited by distance to a base unit, nor do most tablets batteries die after 3-5 hours.

I wonder how much effort or thought Sony even gives the Vita. They appear to have much larger problems than the Vita being a huge disaster.

Can someone calculate how many weeks like this would be necessary for Vita time surpass Xbox 360 sales?

Very rough estimate. But assuming the Xbox 360 sells on average of 650 units a week here on out, and the Vita sells on average 7,200 units a week, the streams would cross on July 23rd, 2014.

The 360 number seems conservative, but it's highly possible the 360 could completely fall of the map come next year with the Wii U replacing all HD console sales. The Vita average number at this point might be slightly generous, but I think the future software lineup would dictate that.

Top Bottom