• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2012 (Nov 05 - Nov 11)

Take a look at the Wii U browser. From the short amount of footage they've shown, you can see all the features it's lacking that full fledged tablet browsers have. Is it the ideal browsing experience? No. Will it replace a tablet or laptop? Not a chance in hell. Would anyone be wise to choose the Wii U as a replacement for a tablet/computer? No. The ability to go to another room is neat, I guess, but very restrictive. Tablets aren't limited by distance to a base unit, nor do most tablets batteries die after 3-5 hours.

I wonder how much effort or thought Sony even gives the Vita. They appear to have much larger problems than the Vita being a huge disaster.

That's the point, we've only seen a short amount of footage, wait til you use it before you pass judgement

Culex

Banned
Alright, Sony needs to admit defeat and just drop the Vita altogether. It's a great system, but it's in the wrong place at the wrong time. And with Sony's current financial situation, they really just need to focus on the PS4.

This argument needs to stop now, I think. There is too much time and money invested into the Vita for this to happen. The Vita is here to stay, even in a infinitely smaller role than originally envisioned by Sony. Games in the pipe, marketing dollars, overhead...you can't end it at this point.

The only real option (and looks like Sony is moving this way) is to slowly remove the Vita from a proprietary system to that of an add-on, or dual use system. We are seeing this now with cross-play. Simply put, the system cannot survive on it's own, and Sony is going to make sure it stays alive, one way or another.

Erethian

They've probably got a warehouse full of them they need to shift before they can drop it, may take some time

This is one of the reasons why I could feasibly see Sony eventually cancelling the Vita, or letting it just die.

There are a range of costs associated with manufacturing and distributing a console/handeld that don't scale linearly with how many systems you're shipping. The cost of storing stock in warehouses being one of them (ask THQ). So if sales remain so low that they can't support all the overhead costs, that'd be a prime reason to ditch the system.

donny2112

It's obvious now Media Create doesn't track download cards

RiddickSuperiorTracker.jpg

Enterbrain/Famitsu, baby!

That's the point, we've only seen a short amount of footage, wait til you use it before you pass judgement

I don't need to see any more of it to know that it's not a tablet replacement. I know enough to say that. I definitely need to use it to see how viable it is as a quick browser to look up game data while I'm away from my PC/tablet.

This argument needs to stop now, I think. There is too much time and money invested into the Vita for this to happen. The Vita is here to stay, even in a infinitely smaller role than originally envisioned by Sony. Games in the pipe, marketing dollars, overhead...you can't end it at this point.

The only real option (and looks like Sony is moving this way) is to slowly remove the Vita from a proprietary system to that of an add-on, or dual use system. We are seeing this now with cross-play. Simply put, the system cannot survive on it's own, and Sony is going to make sure it stays alive, one way or another.

They have invested a significant amount of time and money, but they'd also be better off cutting their losses now. Trust me, I was one of the biggest defenders of the Vita early on, but the situation is incredibly bleak. Even the 3DS, which has Nintendo's strong library and a much lower price tag, is experiencing mediocre sales in the west. And with Monster Hunter on the 3DS, Sony lost the one series that made the PSP such a success in Japan.

I would love nothing more than for the Vita to be a successful system. I think it's a great piece of hardware and has the potential to produce some great games. But it's simply not realistic. The market is very different from 2004 and any dramatic price cuts Sony could make to the Vita would just cut into profits that much more.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Vita is tracking lower than the Dreamcast. Let that sink in for a moment.

Look this is stupid. If someone has a Wii U and they use it tho browse and are happy with that and any other device to do their browsing on then they won't buy a tablet.

People will not buy a Wii U for browsing through, sure it might add to the value they put it at but not specifically for browsing.

However as a home media player it is a bit more competitive, but its not portable.

Pros/Cons, I don't see a big point into debating it too much. The markets are very different but yes I could see a user getting a functional experience from it.

But if there looking to buy a tablet in the first place I think their looking for wider uses. It might affect some customers but no one to the degree that it'll really impact on the overall market.

Vita isn't going to be killed off now. You'll first see them reducing the price dramatically to see if that saves the system. Before they do that, they're going to see if PSN+ incentives reinvigorate sales. We'll know within a week or two how that's going.

I don't need to see any more of it to know that it's not a tablet replacement. I know enough to say that. I definitely need to use it to see how viable it is as a quick browser to look up game data while I'm away from my PC/tablet.

For you it may not be good enough as a tablet replacement however for some (perhaps even a large number of) people it may be

Look this is stupid. If someone has a Wii U and they use it tho browse and are happy with that and any other device to do their browsing on then they won't buy a tablet.

People will not buy a Wii U for browsing through, sure it might add to the value they put it at but not specifically for browsing.

However as a home media player it is a bit more competitive, but its not portable.

Pros/Cons, I don't see a big point into debating it too much. The markets are very different but yes I could see a user getting a functional experience from it.

But if there looking to buy a tablet in the first place I think their looking for wider uses. It might affect some customers but no one to the degree that it'll really impact on the overall market.

Most people looking to buy a tablet in the first place are wanting it to do some browsing, watch some movies and play some games (all of which the wii u does), wider uses don't really come in to it

zroid

Banned
The most useful thing about the Wii U browser is definitely the way you can toss videos and web pages up onto the TV. I don't know about everyone else, but there are many situations where this would be extremely useful to me, largely for when I quickly want to show my family something I'm viewing. Probably still wouldn't use the Wii U for general web browsing, but if the browser is nice and snappy, I'd definitely do that instead of grabbing the tablet, which is my current go-to for this purpose. It's preferred because with the Wii U, I can still have control over the navigation while others are spectating. This becomes incredibly inconvenient on a tablet.

Most people looking to buy a tablet in the first place are wanting it to do some browsing, watch some movies and play some games (all of which the wii u does), wider uses don't really come in to it

Household a tablet can be personal. Wii U has Mii's sure but I think its more a household item.

So people will likely double up.

vareon

The long term effect of Sony discontinuing Vita is disastrous. It'll show that not even Sony is confident with its Playstation brand and it'll affect any confidence publishers had on PS4.

The long term effect of Sony discontinuing Vita is disastrous. It'll show that not even Sony is confident with its Playstation brand and it'll affect any confidence publishers had on PS4.
Or, it could have the opposite effect.

'Cool, Sony is now going to focus exclusively on the console that we make games for.'

No one knows or cares enough about Vita for a cancellation to make any waves. When they do do it, they should probably do it around the same time as the PS4 announcement to bury it in the news.

My assumption was based off of previous SCE platforms. Obviously Vita is not like Sony's previous platforms.

Again, never assume support for anything. Every new platform plays by new rules. Think about all the kids who assumed SNES style third party support for the N64 before it came out.

And what multi touching do you do when browsing ?

I just hit my screen with 3 fingers to reload this page.

Again, never assume support for anything. Every new platform plays by new rules. Think about all the kids who assumed SNES style third party support for the N64 before it came out.

I just hit my screen with 3 fingers to reload this page.

Finger gestures are useful for page forward/backward, reload, open new tab, bring up bookmarks bar etc.

The problem is that if sales remain low as they are retailers aren't going to order more stock. It's almost at the point where vita is a waste of money for retailers sitting on store shelves.

Scum

Wow! So, Sony failed to gauge the market and seemingly created something that most do not want or feel they have no need for. And it's not just a problem for one gaming region. It's a problem in all the regions. Price just isn't the problem anymore.

People were wondering if the PS4 would support 4K, but it looks like the Vita will get there first.

Ojjwv.gif

donny2112

Is it so obvious though?
New Super Mario Bros 2 is really close on both.

It's a little in-game going on. Chris1964 likes MC because their Top 1000 gives 1st week values. Schuelma and I like Enterbrain/Famitsu because it's better.

And there's a longer historical record, mid-year Top 100, FY Top 50/100, Monthly Top 100 (when they ever get leaked), and now can add that Famitsu tracks download card sales and MC doesn't. :p

zroid

Banned
It's a little in-game going on. Chris1964 likes MC because their Top 1000 gives 1st week values. Schuelma and I like Enterbrain/Famitsu because it's better.

And there's a longer historical record, mid-year Top 100, FY Top 50/100, Monthly Top 100 (when they ever get leaked), and now can add that Famitsu tracks download card sales and MC doesn't. :p

You have to admit, though, not distinguishing between 3DS and 3DS LL is pretty lame.

Scum

I STILL can't believe Sony just sat around idling and allowed Nintendo to run off with Monster Hunter.

PSP(2011 YTD)= 1,686,843
PSP+PSV(2012)=1,283,881(-23.9%)

Looking ahead to Week 46, PSP did 40,085 in 2011.

3DS+DS(2011 YTD)=3,072,239
3DS+DS(2012 YTD)=3,872,672(+26.1%)

Looking ahead to week 46, 3DS+DS did 98,960 in 2011.

All handhelds(2011 YTD)=4,759,082
All handhelds(2012 YTD)=5,156,553 (+8.4%)

Some extra info looking ahead, total sales for 2011.
PSP=2,079,152
PSP+PSV=2,519,138(Need to average 176.5K a week to match last year.)

3DS=4,282,142
3DS+DS=4,939,929(Need to average 152.5K a week to match last year.)

All handhelds=7,459,067(Handhelds need to average 328.9K a week to match last year.)

Scum

13./19. [3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.05} (¥5.040) - 8.199 / 229.635 (+7%)
Is this that Namco title that's been sitting in the charts since forever? lol

Busaiku

Nah, I'm just saying like, if Famitsu does do download cards, wouldn't there be more disparity between the New Super Mario Bros 2 numbers?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's a fair assumption. It might turn out differently though. It's not as doomed as the Wii U port scene was; most companies just threw their PS2 teams at it and then when that market dried up they all packed it in.

just to clarify, me too I think that it's fair to think about struggles for the Wii U in getting a serious third party support, as I stated also few pages back to who was foreseeing Wii U selling like crazy.

I just think that if Wii U will get a similar third party support as the Wii, I'd be negatively surprised, for several reasons.

(Premise: I'm not imagining a HUGE third party support with big esclusives for the Wii U. Keep that in mind.)

1) Wii U is the Wii's successor, not GC one. Wii was ignored at the beginning because everyone tought that PS3 would have been as successfull as PS2, while GC was almost a failure. It would be way more stupid for third parties to ignore the at least the first part of the life cycle of the Wii U, especially in Japan (and the first part of the lifecycle for Nintendo consoles is absolutely the most important), compared to the decision to skip the firt part of the Wii's lifecycle

2) Wii U will launch now, that means that for one entire year it will be on the market without the new PS console (I'm assuming that also next Xbox product will be ignored by the Japanese croud); it could offer a very simple way to have multiplatform titles with PS3 (as Koei is doing with Mosou games, for example) offering two viable platforms for the Japanese market (considering how 360 is dead over there)

3) Offering their own classic titles also on the Wii U could help them in getting good numbers with multiplatform titles on PS3U also at the beginning of the new "PS4 era": we saw how Sony's platforms, if developed with their recent business model in mind, could struggle in their first period on the market (they need time to penetrate the market, opposite to the most recent Nintendo's consoles with a different business model), so it could be smart to exploit PS3U also in late '13/early '14

4) Third party relationship with Nintendo are growing gen after gen (at least in Japan), with big franchises debuting on the Wii (as Monster Hunter, but also Samurai Warriors and Taiko), coming back (as Dragon Quest), or continuing with more efforts (as Tales of). I think that presenting a console that offers a more classic way of playing (allowing for more classic approach, if necessary) and continuing with deals (as the western publishing/distributing processes for key Japanes brands that usually struggles in the West) could grow the relationship a little bit more

5) The only reason that could push third parties in ignoring the Wii U imho could be the fact that Wii wasn't able to get great numbers for some kind of games, and this could happen again of course; but we know that one of the main reason was also the lack of a certain kind of offer on the console for more three years (while other competitors offered various products aimed at a certain demographic)

So, I'd be surprised to see a Wii U third partyy support exactly identical to the Wii one for several reasons (and among them, the way better start/debut of third parties for the Wii U launch compared to the Wii one: not saying that it is huge or spectacular, and it also has less games; but there are more important brands/genre on the console from the beginning)

My 2 (4? LOL) cents

add me to Famitsu supporters ;)

EX Troopers on Amazon.jp

3DS version : #164
PS3 version : #178

very low expectations for its sales...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

First week sales with sellthrough, nothing compares to this.

If I was a subscriber Media Create would be the first option, top 100 vs. top 50. I'm pretty sure the additional info from enterbrain would be available from them too.

Nah, I'm just saying like, if Famitsu does do download cards, wouldn't there be more disparity between the New Super Mario Bros 2 numbers?

Digital sales of NSMB2 are low and those who are made with download cards are a part of them.

Hammer24

Banned
My assumption was based off of previous SCE platforms. Obviously Vita is not like Sony's previous platforms.

Its getting the same halfhearted effort the Move, PSPGo and, from what it looks like right now, the Wonderbook got/are getting.
All platforms that, if supported right, should have broadened Sony´s customer base significantly.

Vita isn't going to be killed off now. You'll first see them reducing the price dramatically to see if that saves the system. Before they do that, they're going to see if PSN+ incentives reinvigorate sales. We'll know within a week or two how that's going.

It's quite possible that it would be more cost effective to kill off the system than lower the price.

They can drop the price $50 and sell at a loss for an indeterminate amount of time losing an indeterminate amount of money...or they can quietly stop production and continue selling at the current price so at least what they have left provides a return on the investment.

Even if they stop making the system AND cut the price, at least then there's an end in sight to the losses from the reduced price.

This isn't necessarily the best option or even the only options, but it is feasible and might save Sony more money in the long run. We don't have insight into the company's internal workings, but this is at least a possibility.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
We've known for months now that there will be a Vita 'relaunch' in Feb/Mar 2013, and that Sony has willingly sacrificed the year-end sales to make that a success.

Top Bottom