• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2012 (Nov 19 - Nov 25)

Looking up the numbers, it's kinda shocking how far ahead New Leaf is ahead of Wild World.

After three weeks, going by Media Create, New Leaf has 1.106.758, whereas Wild World had around 577,000.

Wild World obviously had insane legs, so I'm wondering if New Leaf's more front-loaded.

EDIT: Just remembered that MC isn't tracking download cards, making it even more stark.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Looking up the numbers, it's kinda shocking how far ahead New Leaf is ahead of Wild World.

After three weeks, going by Media Create, New Leaf has 1.106.758, whereas Wild World had around 577,000.

Wild World obviously had insane legs, so I'm wondering if New Leaf's more front-loaded.

EDIT: Just remembered that MC isn't tracking download cards, making it even more stark.

I don't think that New Leaf will have the legs of the DS game, but I would love to be proven wrong.

Dude, are you a washing machine? The amount of spin coming from you is going to make the one I use jealous. Say it would've sold an additional 50k on that missing day (which it wouldn't), the game still would've sold 400k less than its' previous sequel. All said and done, the 3DS game probably will crawl to 500k-700k, but that still represents a huge decline.

Just to be precise. Exactly as you specified that the last Falcom's jRPG on Vita wasn't made by Falcom, wasn't a completely new game, etc.

I also said that the debut is not hot at all, but it will sell during holidays, and even with a huge decline (let's see, though, how a Mystery Dungeon will perform after the 6th generation), it will still be a successful title.

I don't think that New Leaf will have the legs of the DS game, but I would love to be proven wrong.

Well, the legs of Wild World combined with the start this game has had would be a fantastic, unprecedented success.

I can't help we're only getting a portion of the whole picture here, though; if Chris is right, and Nintendo are finding it impossible to get both carts and cards into stores, you'd have to imagine that business through the eShop would be pretty brisk. A couple of hundred thousand over what the trackers are saying, perhaps?
In Japan it might. Psp really cut of a lot of the DS momentum nearing the end of he generation, with no real psp like by competition, the market may have shrunk, but there's a chance it has absorbed enough of the Psp market share, to reach near the sales of ds (obviously this is only talking about Japan).
Short of a Lite revision catching fire like with the DS, I don't see this as too likely.

I'd say that handily outpacing the PSP is a near-certainty, but I think DS sales in all regions are pretty untouchable for 3DS.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It won't just on the fact that the 3DS won't surpass the DS in sales. 4 million is a lock imo though which is excellent.

In Japan it might come close enough. Psp really cut of a lot of the DS momentum nearing the end of he generation, with no real psp like by competition, the market may have shrunk, but there's a chance it has absorbed enough of the Psp market share, to reach near the sales of ds (obviously this is only talking about Japan).

PSP(2011 YTD)= 1,760,079
PSP+PSV(2012)=1,335,804(-24.1%)

Looking ahead to Week 48, PSP did 39,547 in 2011.

3DS+DS(2011 YTD)=3,295,384
3DS+DS(2012 YTD)=4,204,430(+27.6%)

Looking ahead to week 48, 3DS+DS did 210,398 in 2011.

All handhelds(2011 YTD)=5,055,463
All handhelds(2012 YTD)=5,540,234 (+9.6%)

Some extra info looking ahead, total sales for 2011.
PSP=2,079,152
PSP+PSV=2,519,138

3DS=4,282,142
3DS+DS=4,939,929(Need to average 147.1K a week to match last year.)

All handhelds=7,459,067(Need to average 383.8K a week to match last year)

In Japan it might come close enough. Psp really cut of a lot of the DS momentum nearing the end of he generation, with no real psp like by competition, the market may have shrunk, but there's a chance it has absorbed enough of the Psp market share, to reach near the sales of ds (obviously this is only talking about Japan).
I don't see 3DS surpassing DS ever but it will be on fire until at least early 2013. Animal crossing plus the holidays will ensure it stays above 100k until at least did January then DQ7 will hit and then MH4.

I don't see 3DS surpassing DS ever but it will be on fire until at least early 2013. Animal crossing plus the holidays will ensure it stays above 100k until at least did January then DQ7 will hit and then MH4.

Yeah, everything we know of 2013 points to utter 3DS domination.

Add Pokemon on top of that, and we've got a stew going.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

"Until" ? Why would you think sales will slow down after MH4 is released ? I would think the opposite would be the case.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Thing is 3DS is THE Japanese dedicated games industry right now unless wii u takes some of that pie. meaning by default, it will continue selling well unless the Japanese industry crashes. This isn't like ds where there was a real competitor. This is more like the ps2 if that. Unless some sort of miracle good or bad occurs, it would safely continue selling at a good rate, as if it doesn't some very hard questions will need to be asked, by all japanese developers.

Yeah, everything we know of 2013 points to utter 3DS domination.

Add Pokemon on top of that, and we've got a stew going.
Yeah given pokemons development pattern I'd say September 2013 seems like a likely release date for 6th generation.

"Until" ? Why would you think sales will slow down after MH4 is released ? I would think the opposite would be the case.
I should've worded it better but I was thinking May/ June it'd start to slow down based on what we know of the lineup. I'm sure there will be other titles to keep momentum going such as Luigi mansion or friend collection.

Ouch @ E.X. Troopers. Nail in the coffin of any possible NA version, I guess.

I hope not! Game looks tons of fun and really should have been out in NA at the same time. Really hoping NoA gives up on all the lame marketing and stuff and just starts making the 3DS in America the same as the 3DS in Japan.

Salvadora

Considering that Pokemon Black 2/White 2 came out in June, is it possible that Nintendo could release the next Pokemon generation around the same time next year?

Ryoku

Considering that Pokemon Black 2/White 2 came out in June, is it possible that Nintendo could release the next Pokemon generation around the same time next year?

I think they'll release Ruby/Sapphire remakes before the next generation.

Pokemon Black/White 3 a possibility?

Busaiku

I don't think releasing these games so close to each other will help anyone out.
Sure didn't help Mario.

I think they'll release Ruby/Sapphire remakes before the next generation.

Pokemon Black/White 3 a possibility?
I doubt that. The next generation has always hit the 2nd year of the handhelds lifetime and at this point one of gamefreaks teams has gone 3 years since release. Also Nintendo has to be putting pressure on gamefreak for a new pokemon for 3DS.

Ryoku

I doubt that. The next generation has always hit the 2nd year of the handhelds lifetime and at this point one of gamefreaks teams has gone 3 years since release. Also Nintendo has to be putting pressure on gamefreak for a new pokemon for 3DS.

Well, I'm not saying that they'll release next summer; just that I expect Ruby/Sapphire remakes before the generation VI Pokemon games.

Well, I'm not saying that they'll release next summer; just that I expect Ruby/Sapphire remakes before the generation VI Pokemon games.

I wouldn't get your hopes up, if I were you. They're distributing Groudon and Kyogre in Japan soon, DS development is dead and all the Gen V Pokemon are out of the way. Unlike with FRLG and HGSS, there are no compelling bits of evidence for RSE remakes; quite the opposite, in fact.

Gen VI is next up.

Ryoku

I wouldn't get your hopes up, if I were you. They're distributing Groudon and Kyogre in Japan soon, DS development is dead and all the Gen V Pokemon are out of the way. Unlike with FRLG and HGSS, there are no compelling bits of evidence for RSE remakes; quite the opposite, in fact.

Gen VI is next up.

I guess you're right. But why are you ruling out the possibility of the remakes arriving on the 3DS?

I guess you're right. But why are you ruling out the possibility of the remakes arriving on the 3DS?

I'm not, in the fullness of time.

Gen VI would come first, though. Making Gen III remakes the first parts of a new generation makes compatibility and future-proofing an absolute pain in the arse, and the remake team has been busy anyway.

No RS remakes for DS PLEASE, enough with the DS:

Diamond
Pearl
Platinum
HeartGold
SoulSilver
Black
White
Black 2
White 2

ENOUGH!!!

MY GOD, move on already, I'm all for RS remakes, but please, for the love of good, move on, Gen VI to build a new foundation, then the remakes.

And please in full-3D, we need a fresh look, DP were a minor improvement over RS, and BW were even smaller improvements, MAKE IT FRESH!

The jump between GS and RS was big enough because we went into full-color 16bit graphics, so that certainly felt fresh.

Sorry for "shouting", but I'm so tired of the DS games, BW2 should've at least had 3DS versions with a cleaner picture, that could've been a nice thing I guess.

But I'm hungry for the first true 3D Pokemon game, what we wanted GF to make on the fucking N64 before it became clear that they had no interest in a real console entry.

Ryoku

No RS remakes for DS PLEASE, enough with the DS:

Diamond
Pearl
Platinum
HeartGold
SoulSilver
Black
White
Black 2
White 2

ENOUGH!!!

MY GOD, move on already, I'm all for RS remakes, but please, for the love of good, move on, Gen VI to build a new foundation, then the remakes.

And please in full-3D, we need a fresh look, DP were a minor improvement over RS, and BW were even smaller improvements, MAKE IT FRESH!

The jump between GS and RS was big enough because we went into full-color 16bit graphics, so that certainly felt fresh.

Sorry for "shouting", but I'm so tired of the DS games, BW2 should've at least had 3DS versions with a cleaner picture, that could've been a nice thing I guess.

But I'm hungry for the first true 3D Pokemon game, what we wanted GF to make on the fucking N64 before it became clear that they had no interest in a real console entry.

I'm all for generation VI. It's just that it feels a bit weird with three mainline Pokemon games in a row within three years.

I'm all for generation VI. It's just that it feels a bit weird with three mainline Pokemon games in a row within three years.

This is what they always do. Three out of every four years have proper RPGs in them. It just so happens that they're cutting out the RSE remakes for a quicker jump to 3DS this time.

Apparently there are Pokemon-related announcements being made tomorrow and next week. Probably only anime-related, but there could well be a reveal of a movie hinting at Gen VI Pokemon, much like we got with Zoroark 3 years ago.

I wouldn't call b/w2 a mainline title and b/w was released in 2010 anyway.

I think 3 years time for a new generation is hardly overkill. From 2006 until 2010 when the 5th gen started we had D/P, platinum and hg/ss. I believe B/W was released exactly a year after hg/ss someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

This is what they always do. Three out of every four years have proper RPGs in them. It just so happens that they're cutting out the RSE remakes for a quicker jump to 3DS this time.

Apparently there are Pokemon-related announcements being made tomorrow and next week. Probably only anime-related, but there could well be a reveal of a movie hinting at Gen VI Pokemon, much like we got with Zoroark 3 years ago.

Tomorrow? How do you know this?

Tomorrow? How do you know this?

There are press releases for the next two episodes of the anime teasing special announcements to be made in the breaks following the episodes. It's a good bet that at least one of them is the reveal of the next movie, and, if it's anything like the reveal of the Zoroark movie, the title and trailer will hint at a Gen VI Pokemon.

The Zoroark movie was originally revealed with the title Phantom Champion Z. It was the first big hint we had towards Gen V's arrival.

jeremy1456

Yeah but then the next iteration barely got to 1 million on the Wii. Considering how massive casual/ nongamer games or DS games in general have significantly dropped. I'd hardly say these sales were expected. Hence the massive surprise people have shown here with software and hardware sales.

It is a game that sells best on handhelds because it benefits greatly from portable play.

It was obviously going to sell these numbers. There is no surprise about it.

That's like being shocked that, after MH3 that MHP3 would sell so well.

It was not a surprise in the least.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There are press releases for the next two episodes of the anime teasing special announcements to be made in the breaks following the episodes. It's a good bet that at least one of them is the reveal of the next movie, and, if it's anything like the reveal of the Zoroark movie, the title and trailer will hint at a Gen VI Pokemon.

The Zoroark movie was originally revealed with the title Phantom Champion Z. It was the first big hint we had towards Gen V's arrival.

It's not like this is unprecedented either. Movies 1,2 5,8 and 9 also have next generation Pokémon in them, and the show also introduced new gen pokémon at similar points.

Top Bottom