• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2012 (Nov 19 - Nov 25)

piteru

Banned
When ac (come on shibata-San!) is released here in Europe ( :/ ) I think it's THE game for digital buy. One question: does mh3 for 3ds has also a digital version,or only retail?

It's not like this is unprecedented either. Movies 1,2 5,8 and 9 also have next generation Pokémon in them, and the show also introduced new gen pokémon at similar points.

Hell, the 7th movie had a Gen IV Pokemon in it, and that was released two and a half years before the games were.

The run up to Diamond and Pearl was all manners of messed up.

New releases

{2012.12.06}

[3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star <RPG> (Nintendo) (¥4.800)
{2012.12.08}
[WIU] Wii U Premium Set <H-W> (Nintendo) (¥31.500)
[WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U <ACT> (Nintendo) (¥5.985)
[WIU] Nintendo Land <ETC> (Nintendo) (¥4.935)
[WIU] ZombiU <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥6.980)
[WIU] Assassin's Creed III <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥7.770)

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Fake edit: 6th gen is coming next year. BW2 made by usual remake team. Hiring for 3D artists. Anime 'wrapping up' and there are no new Pokemon announcements for next movie (like Keldeo) and Genesect is already available. Short of a new form for it, a new Pokemon must be starring. No remakes.

For the record, Masuda has said he would like to keep the current artstyle for the main games, just make it (more?) 3D.

It is a game that sells best on handhelds because it benefits greatly from portable play.

It was obviously going to sell these numbers. There is no surprise about it.

That's like being shocked that, after MH3 that MHP3 would sell so well.

It was not a surprise in the least.
It's easy to say that now but there was only one handheld title prior. I think people speculated it was probably a handheld series like pokemon and monster hunter but no real certainty. Of course I think 2 million wasn't unexpected but how fast it's selling and that it will likely overtake new super Mario bros and Mario kart. I highly doubt anyone would've expected animal crossing to outsell those two which it will likely do soon. Again given the huge decline on all major DS series I doubt anyone expected it to be a huge craze. Given that animal crossing is suffering major stock problems even for the dd cards I'd say retailers and Nintendo didn't expect this level of demand either.

Nekki

Amazing that 3DS kept so consistent during this week. AC and holidays incoming are really working their magic.

I'm also very pleased with bravely default, i'd like updated numbers with digital downloads.

So what are people's guesses as to how long it'll take for AC to surpass NSMB2 in sales. I'd say that by february it should be there already, assuming NSMB2 has a strong holiday (which it probably won't). Otherwise early january is an easy bet.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It is a game that sells best on handhelds because it benefits greatly from portable play.

If it was so expected Nintendo would be able to meet demand 3 weeks after release.

It was, instead. It seems Animal Crossing: New Leaf started again the craze among the IP as in DS hey-days.

dwu8991

Banned
Amazing that 3DS kept so consistent during this week. AC and holidays incoming are really working their magic.

I'm also very pleased with bravely default, i'd like updated numbers with digital downloads.

So what are people's guesses as to how long it'll take for AC to surpass NSMB2 in sales. I'd say that by february it should be there already, assuming NSMB2 has a strong holiday (which it probably won't). Otherwise early january is an easy bet.

Plus Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney is being launched TODAY !

I'd say maybe 2 weeks from now. Its nearly 1.3 million this week while NSMB2 is a little over 1.4 million

I do wonder if New Leaf could kickstart a craze for Touch Generation-style titles again. Obviously Animal Crossing doesn't fit in that category, but it could well be a useful bridge title for building a casual base.

Having an established fanbase is better than not having.

In other news Level 5 moved IE 1-2-3 to same day with FL.

Of course, I mean does AC's unexpected sales mean there's demand for this sort of game, in general, or just Animal Crossing? Will releasing so close cash in on any hype, or mean people are too busy with AC to bother? What would be good numbers for FL - 100,000? 80,000?

Also, lol @ your edit.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If it was so expected Nintendo would be able to meet demand 3 weeks after release.
This title was always planned to promote eShop sales, so it makes sense that there aren't over shipping retail channels.

I honestly wonder if AC's success is a good or bad sign for Fantasy Life.

In fact they may overlap, although I am under the impression that Fantasy life is a much different game from AC, indeed from the screeenshots it reminds me more of Little king's story.

BTW, from another perspective, 3DS atm has got a big userbase, 8-9 million consoles sold, so if AC should sell, say, 2 millions, that would make a 1:4 attach-rate and wouldn't necessarily kill other games' sales in the holydays season.

This title was always planned to promote eShop sales, so it makes sense that there aren't over shipping retail channels.
Then why are they sold out of the dd retail cards? If this was all a ploy by Nintendo to undership the carts so people would be forced to digitally download the title then why is Nintendo/retailers struggling to maintain stock for the DD cards?

Cipherr

Then why are they sold out of the dd retail cards? If this was all a ploy by Nintendo to undership the carts so people would be forced to digitally download the title then why is Nintendo/retailers struggling to maintain stock for the DD cards?

Is this title not completely buyable 100% digitally even without a card? If it is, I dont see what the cards have to do with it. If it isn't, they should get on that.

Is this title not completely buyable 100% digitally even without a card? If it is, I dont see what the cards have to do with it. If it isn't, they should get on that.
They are available 100% digitally but it makes things easier especially for minors and given how reluctant Japan has been to DD only. What would be accomplished by intentional DD cards shortages?

Again, animal crossings supply shortage is due to unexpected demand not a Nintendo ploy. No one was expecting animal crossing to be the fastest selling 3DS title, so far.

Keep in mind that the original shipment for New Leaf was going to be 200K, but they raised it due to the sheer level of demand.

I think it's fair to say that the title is outperforming all of Nintendo's expectations.

Keep in mind that the original shipment for New Leaf was going to be 200K, but they raised it due to the sheer level of demand.

I think it's fair to say that the title is outperforming all of Nintendo's expectations.

Hmm, interesting. Yeah, definitely fair to assume this is performing well beyond Nintendo's expectations, then.

To be fair I reckon that was quite predictable, all things being considered.
In what way? Had someone told me a year, 6 months ago or even a month ago that animal crossing would sell faster than mk7, mh3g, nsmb2, etc. I would've found that hard to believe. Again Nintendo was originally going to ship 200k for the first shipment of AC that is way below all three of the above mentioned titles.

PS3 Scrawny doesn't look so bad in white instead of black. I don't know why.

Is COD:BLOPS2 one of those localizations with a great dub?

EX Troopers continues the Lost Planet franchise decline it seems. Changing the name and making it much more "Japanese friendly" doesn't seem to have helped them one bit.

Parts-bin Generime™ Brand Anime, really. No idea what they were thinking with all the top tier art directors out there needing work.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I think it's even funnier that Summon Night 4, a 6 year old port on the PSP, sold more than EX Troopers. :p

That and its a better game than EX Troopers. (owned PS3 ver and sold next day)

EX Troopers felt like "My First Third Person Shooter" with a horribly written main character. Damned shame considering the rest of the cast seemed ok.

But other folks in the OT seem to be enjoying it.

DGRE

Banned
Some of this talk on expectations with animal Crossing is pretty short-sighted. It's very clear it's outperforming any expectations Nintendo had.

In what way? Had someone told me a year, 6 months ago or even a month ago that animal crossing would sell faster than mk7, mh3g, nsmb2, etc. I would've found that hard to believe.

In the first place Animal crossing has been a big seller on Gamecube and later on on NDS, indeed one of the biggest sellers overall on those platforms.

The IP has recently suffered from the fact that they had brought not enough new stuff in all newer iterations, but this time around I gather they've put some effort into it, not to make it a "all-the-same" in 3D but doing something more ambitious.
Besides, Animal crossing has launched when 3DS had an over 6 million userbase, whereas MK7, SM3DLand and MH3G launched when 3DS was barely at 1 milliom or so, IIRC.
As a fact Animal crossing is selling more than its hardware.

Again Nintendo was originally going to ship 200k for the first shipment of AC that is way below all three of the above mentioned titles.

For that matter also Capcom undershipped MH3G initially.

IMO both predictions from Capcom and Nintendo were very conservative, to say the least(btw, as for MH3G you can check my post-history, I was one of the most optimistic ones around here).

DGRE

Banned
In the first place Animal crossing has been a big seller on Gamecube and later on on NDS, indeed one of the biggest sellers overall on those platforms.

The IP has recently suffered from the fact that they had brought not enough new stuff in all newer iterations, but this time around I gather they've put some effort into it, not to make it a "all-the-same" in 3D but doing something more ambitious.
Besides, Animal crossing has launched when 3DS had an over 6 million userbase, whereas MK7, SM3DLand and MH3G launched when 3DS was barely at 1 milliom or so, IIRC.
As a fact Animal crossing is selling more than its hardware.

For that matter also Capcom undershipped MH3G initially.

IMO both predictions from Capcom and Nintendo were very conservative, to say the least(btw, as for MH3G you can check my post-history, I was one of the most optimistic ones around here).
Using history as an indicator no one could have expected AC to sell faster than NSMB2. There is no arguing this.

As a fact Animal crossing is selling more than its
Nsmb2 launched with a similar userbase size along with a handheld revision and the previous 2 entries sold very well with the DS version selling close to(it may have exceeded) 6 million. I don't think animal crossing outpacing and about to outsell nsmb was a expected.

Nsmb2 launched with a similar userbase size along with a handheld revision and the previous 2 entries sold very well with the DS version selling close to(it may have exceeded) 6 million. I don't think animal crossing outpacing and about to outsell nsmb was a expected.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, if so I'm sorry.

I was just arguing that I thought that for AC a million copies in a couple weeks was pretty much a no-sweat, what with 3DS's biggest install base compared to last year's.

NSMB2, as it's a recent release of a 2D Mario game, is an entirely different matter, but with my post I was referring to MK7, MH3G and SM3DLand, as I had no doubt that AC could sell more than how those did in their first weeks.

How much of the lower Japanese developer output has to do with the generational transition (i.e. greater need for larger teams, stronger technology) vs poor financial shape? Has the studio closures of the past gen affected the Japanese devw as much as Western devs?

Didn't really see this addressed, so: the studio closure situation hasn't been as bad in Japan as it has been here; while there've still been a few odd curveballs (like Flight Plan closing for a while out of nowhere) and a few tragedies (Clover), in general the Japanese industry's development and business model is all about keeping opportunity cost down, and thus keeping businesses rock-solid. I mean, hell, every indication has been that the "lower-fi" developers like Gust, NIS and Falcom, who aren't really throwing down in the HD AAA sector, are the healthy developers currently.

Really, "lower output" is just on big set-top boxes. It bears repeating: the Japanese market is becoming a very different beast compared to markets outside of it, and on the whole the market is still pretty healthy, especially in comparison to the size of the userbase (remember, Japan as a whole is getting older and the birthrate is very low). Where this really creates a problem is in export, as some kind of solution has to emerge for reconciling the handheld-centric nature of modern Japan with the still-set-top-centric nature of the rest of the world.

DGRE

Banned
OK, so if I said that was predictable to be 2nd best selling game, would my post make more sense to you?
That was essentially what I meant.

You actually said:

To be fair I reckon that was quite predictable, all things being considered.

I think it's fine if you want to clarify now, but using the phrase "quite predictable" does not match what you have just now said.

LOCK

I won't be surprised if 3DS hardware increased next week. Crazy good performance by AC, but I suspected this would happen after the first week.

Road

Mpl90 is banned, so you thought you'd be free from it. You were wrong.

COMGNET store pre-orders:

[PS3] Yakuza 3 - 526pt
[PS3] Yakuza 4 - 484pt
[PS3] Yakuza Dead Souls - 543pt
[PS3] Yakuza 5 - 391pt

[PS3] Hokuto Musou - 169pt
[PS3] Shin Hokuto Musou - 36pt

[PSP] AKB1/48 - 285pt
[PSP] AKB1/48 Guam - 342pt
[PSP] AKB1/149 - 218pt

[3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go Shine - 46pt
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go Dark - less than 40pt