• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2011 (Nov 28 - Dec 04)

Effect

Hasn't console Zelda games been selling better outside of Japan ever since OoT? Figured it was part of the whole 2D vs 3D situation with many of their IPs. Similar to how 3D Mario is more successful outside of Japan. Metroid Prime being more successful outside of Japan as well. I hope Nintendo doesn't take the sales the wrong way though and panic and ignore the trend. Though maybe we'll be surprised and it will go back up in December since as Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and Zelda all came out in the same month. That's a lot of money, especially in Japan. Handhelds being bigger maybe those simply got bought first and then Zelda would be picked up later.

Thoraxes

Whatever you guys do, please don't (soon) compare Monster Hunter Freedom 3 to MH TriG.

Capcom already announced that they're only initially shipping roughly 420k combined copies of the game (across CPP bundles, standalone, and HW bundles), so DON'T expect it to hit that number the first week, or anywhere near it.

Also I expected as much for Zelda as far as Japan goes. It's not surprising really.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Whatever you guys do, please don't (soon) compare Monster Hunter Freedom 3 to MH TriG.

Capcom already announced that they're only shipping roughly 420k combined copies of the game (across CPP bundles, standalone, and HW bundles), so DON'T expect it to hit that number the first week, or anywhere near it.

It will be very interesting. I suspect that number is going to be hit incredibly quickly- if Capcom has another shipment ready to go immediately, I think it will do very very well.

Thoraxes

It will be very interesting. I suspect that number is going to be hit incredibly quickly- if Capcom has another shipment ready to go immediately, I think it will do very very well.

Oh I totally agree. Also i'm glad you ignored my error (it's only the initial shipment number).

I think Capcom said they easily expect it to sell at least 1.2 million copies too. I'm wondering how this will all play out due to the timing of the launch and well, actual units of the 3DS that exist/ systems that will be bought because of MHTriG.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think Capcom said they easily expect it to sell at least 1.2 million copies too. I'm wondering how this will all play out due to the timing of the launch and well, actual units of the 3DS that exist/ systems that will be bought because of MHTriG.
Any reason for why Capcom expect so little? That would be a huge drop from MHP3rd. Or is that just for 2011? The 3DS will be at around 3.5 million - 4 million by the end of 2011, so the userbase is big enough to support that. That, and the MH handheld games are known to sell for a long long time.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Any reason for why Capcom expect so little? That would be a huge drop from MHP3rd. Or is that just for 2011? The 3DS will be at around 3.5 million - 4 million by the end of 2011, so the userbase is big enough to support that.

My theory is they are a bit conservative/skittish after their huge MH Tri expectations were probably not fully met.

Any reason for why Capcom expect so little? That would be a huge drop from MHP3rd. Or is that just for 2011? The 3DS will be at around 3.5 million - 4 million by the end of 2011, so the userbase is big enough to support that.
Capcom's target is 1.2m for the fiscal year, so through March. Seems pretty low and it probably is, Capcom also undertargeted MHP3 and Pokapoka Village iirc.

test_account

XP-39C²
My theory is they are a bit conservative/skittish after their huge MH Tri expectations were probably not fully met.
It could be, but that is quite low expectation in my opinion if it is LTD sales.

Capcom's target is 1.2m for the fiscal year, so through March. Seems pretty low and it probably is, Capcom also undertargeted MHP3 and Pokapoka Village iirc.
Then it makes more sense if it is just for the fiscal year. Still seems a bit low i think, but only time will tell =)

Any reason for why Capcom expect so little? That would be a huge drop from MHP3rd. Or is that just for 2011? The 3DS will be at around 3.5 million - 4 million by the end of 2011, so the userbase is big enough to support that. That, and the MH handheld games are known to sell for a long long time.

But still ahead Monster Hunter 3, of which 3G is an expansion on a new console.

[Nintex]

Master, I believe that there is a 99% chance that our game has bombed in both Japan and Europe.

Well after... Phantom Hourglass, Crossbow Training and Spirit Tracks it doesn't surprise me that folks aren't standing in line for the new Zelda. You can only poison the well so many times and Skyward Sword was a good game but not 10/10 GOTY material in any way.

Basch

I'm amazed people are still buying the PSP. The Vita's only like a week away for Japan. 40k? Me gods! PS3 will continue to spike next week with the release of FF XIII-2. But the 3DS really does dwarf all these numbers. Every publisher has got to be looking on with envy at those numbers.

So what's the sell-through rate for Mario Kart's first week on the 3DS? 15% lol, that's huge! Has there ever been a higher attach rate?

iidesuyo

The 3DS is on fire and in save territory.

About Zelda... maybe there are more people out there like me who are simply fed up with the series. After TP I have so little interest in SS, I didn't even watch the trailer. Too many titles in too little time.

True, but isnt TriG suppose to be the next portable Monster Hunter out there? Kinda equivalent to how MHP3rdG would be.

Yes, it's the next Monster Hunter in portable form. But it's not the follow-up of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd; it's the expansion of Monster Hunter Tri, a different game. And on a brand new console completely vergin of the series. It's like Capcom would have released Monster Hunter Portable 4th on Vita at the launch... It would have not reached 4 million units.

test_account

XP-39C²
So what's the sell-through rate for Mario Kart's first week on the 3DS? 15% lol, that's huge! Has there ever been a higher attach rate?
Super Smash Brothers Melee for Gamecube had over 50% attach rate. I'm not sure if it is the highest ever though.

Yes, it's the next Monster Hunter in portable form. But it's not the follow-up of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd; it's the expansion of Monster Hunter Tri, a different game. And on a brand new console completely vergin of the series. It's like Capcom would have released Monster Hunter Portable 4th on Vita at the launch... It would have not reached 4 million units.
So it is a worse game since Capcom execpt the huge drop? :p Well, maybe they have much higher expectation for LTD than just the first fiscal year :).

It isnt the same at Vita launch. Now the 3DS is at nearly 3 million units. But i'm not thinking about first week sales, i'm talking about LTD. MH portable games are known to sell for a long time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Nintex];33257135 said:
Yep but Zelda TP was made with the US and EU markets in mind and less aimed at the Japanese market. With Skyward Sword they tried to get some Japanese players back by adding the treasures/item upgrades/less realistic visual style.
But Japanese players already made their choice with handheld Zeldas. They don't need to bring them back; they are already there. I don't think there's that much you can do for this franchise -unlike Mario, the difference between the 2D and 3D iterations are not bigger than the control methods. This is just a case of the handheld-focus of the Japanese bisecting a franchise.

muu

Capcom already announced that they're only initially shipping roughly 420k combined copies of the game (across CPP bundles, standalone, and HW bundles), so DON'T expect it to hit that number the first week, or anywhere near it.

Also I expected as much for Zelda as far as Japan goes. It's not surprising really.

As far as what's on the rumor mill they reduced shipment size, divided amongst two weeks, and then supposedly brought back total numbers to what was originally planned. Would not be surprised if they ship 420K the first week, and 420K the week after, esp. considering the foreseeable demand (christmas + new years). Million sales w/in year's end is definitely possible, and once school comes back in session and everyone starts showing their wares to everyone else this will only boost sales further. Zelda I believe was crushed by the weight of Mario Kart.

What I'm really curious to see is how these 3DS games do longterm as a game selling on an as-yet unhacked portable system. If they can keep it up, how will this affect sales? What sort of response will come from the folks who were hardcore CFW/R4 users but want to play the newest 3DS games?

BurntPork

Banned
they'll make part of the sales back when they release Skyward Sword WiiUHD edition shortly after launch...

Yeah. I think the platform was part of the problem. Zelda fans have sold their Wiis, and are waiting for Wii U. In fact, Zelda will get a big boost at Wii U's launch, port or not.

guek

Banned
Looks like Zelda totally bombed.

French, you're an interesting character. There are a lot of people on this board that are down on nintendo. They're not fans, and that's fine, and though I see their negative nintendo comments here and there, I also see them participating in other discussions.

You, however, only seem to appear when there's an opportunity for some anti-nintendo remark. It's quite strange. It's like if someone says nintendo 3 times in a row, you appear in a poof of smoke to add "sux."

Now, I'm not saying you're lying about zelda sales...it's just just curious that all you ever do is try, in vain I might add, to put down nintendo.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Nintendo systems starting to sell for the holiday season. 3DS just had a major release though. Well 2 actually. The price is right now too.

Basch

Super Smash Brothers Melee for Gamecube had over 50% attach rate. I'm not sure if it is the highest ever though.

O_O where the hell have I been? Did it do that in it's first week?

French, you're an interesting character. There are a lot of people on this board that are down on nintendo. They're not fans, and that's fine, and though I see their negative nintendo comments here and there, I also see them participating in other discussions.

You, however, only seem to appear when there's an opportunity for some anti-nintendo remark. It's quite strange. It's like if someone says nintendo 3 times in a row, you appear in a poof of smoke to add "sux."

Now, I'm not saying you're lying about *NINTENDO* sales...it's just just curious that all you ever do is try, in vain I might add, to put down nintendo.

sux sux

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Capcom also undertargeted MHP3

they did?! They sold 2.8 MILLION units in two weeks - i'd say that's not particularly undertargetting a launch.

As far as what's on the rumor mill they reduced shipment size, divided amongst two weeks, and then supposedly brought back total numbers to what was originally planned.

is there a link for this? i've not heard the split between two weeks or the back to original numbers story.

BurntPork

Banned
The 3DS is on fire and in save territory.

About Zelda... maybe there are more people out there like me who are simply fed up with the series. After TP I have so little interest in SS, I didn't even watch the trailer. Too many titles in too little time.

... Five years is too little time? I'm willing to bet my account that you've bought at least threa games in one franchise this generation.

Spiegel

they did?! They sold 2.8 MILLION units in two weeks - i'd say that's not particularly undertargetting a launch.

is there a link for this? i've not heard the split between two weeks or the back to original numbers story.

They forecasted 3.6M for the fiscal year.

They shipped 4M in the first month.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
While Zelda: Skyward Swords sales are very disappointing. There surely might be a couple of reasons for this. But I do not feel like discussing them. Eitherway, it was a loss for Nintendo.

But people are bringing up a weird analogy about "Zelda has always sold better outside of Japan" or "Metroid has always sold better outside of Japan", even a "Mario has always sold better outside of Japan". I hope people understand that the only comparison in sales we ever get are.

Japan vs America vs Europe

America has more than double the Japanese population. And Europe is an entire continent. OF COURSE INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED IPs are going to sell more in higher populations!

They forecasted 3.6M for the fiscal year.

They shipped 4M in the first month.

Yep, we're talking IR targets, not actual shipments. Capcom targeted 1.2m for MH3G, who knows what the actual shipments will end up being? MHP3 shows that can end up changing rather significantly.

jman2050

The real story here is that it looks like Mario 3D Land is going to eclipse previous 3D Mario games by a pretty large amount when all is said and done.

[Nintex];33257018 said:
Master, I believe that there is a 99% chance that our game has bombed in both Japan and Europe.

I think it's fairly interesting that Zelda has only done really well in the one territory where Nintendo didn't feel the need to release a DVD about controlling Mario. Maybe they should stop releasing "complex" games in Japan and Europe?

Top Bottom