• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 5, 2014 (Jan 27 - Feb 02)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
If it is already following the same trend then it shows that the market for Nintendo is shrinking. By the fourth year, the DS already sold about 3 times what the 3DS did so far. So if we agree that the 3DS is following on the same overall trend but on a much lower level, then the concern is obviously that Nintendo is declining across all areas. Their portable business is what is driving the company now, with the WiiU being a complete disaster. Since even that is declining, don't you think alarm bells should be ringing for the company?

Yes, all things considered and on a general level, absolutely.

But nothing indicated to me that the 3DS was looking to break the general trend, and as such I'm not surprised by it, and I don't think Nintendo as a company should be either. Was anything at all pointing in that direction? We have known for a very long time that the 3DS would never, ever reach DS levels of sales, and I don't think any dedicated handheld gaming device ever will in a post-tablet/smartphones world. It is what it is.

crinale

To be fair, Nintendo's actions shown they didn't think it was a big seller. There's a reason why they constantly delayed it, and the bundle they did have with Wii Fit U cost 2000 yen more than the other bundles Nintendo was pushing. If Nintendo really thought Wii Fit U was a system seller, they went though an odd process to do it.

So everything is according to Master Iwata's plan... nice :)

RalchAC

Two new games and still a decline. Beast mode!

This confirms that "at least it's over last year's YTD" is the new "at least it's over 10k" denial that Vita fans desperately hold on to. A psychological barrier in other words, to try to hide that it still sells horrible overall.

1352315138579.jpg

You understand that those "champion" comments are not serious for the most part, right?

I think almost everybody here has said that they know the Vita is not going to be a success like the PSP. Everybody knows the Vita will sell less than 10 million units lifetime (in my opinion it'll probably do like 6-7 if it does 1,5-1,8 million in 2014 and 2015).

Most people that are "happy" with those sales are Vita owners that bought it because they like Japanese games. You don't need to treat us as a bunch of poor bunch of ignorant and delusional people.

Wow the hash tagging in this thread is really obnoxious. Vita is still in a rough spot overall, but apparently stabilizing a couple weeks means the system is now saved from obsolescence.

Slayven

Vita hold. Vita holds all the medals. Vita means life champion.

Wii Fit U's QoL seems like its going to be pretty short (we can totally make an entirely new global business out of these shenanigans!!).

Its in fully dying franchise mode after they yanked Kai off-air without closing out the series. This game would probably have achieved better were it released at the same time as the new movie, but its just been released at a bizarre time "HEY WHO WANTS ANOTHER DBZ GAME?!"
They should have the balls to create new characters for the games.

duckroll

Yes, all things considered and on a general level, absolutely.

But nothing indicated to me that the 3DS was looking to break the general trend, and as such I'm not surprised by it, and I don't think Nintendo as a company should be either. Was anything at all pointing in that direction? We have known for a very long time that the 3DS would never, ever reach DS levels of sales, and I don't think any dedicated handheld gaming device ever will in a post-tablet/smartphones world. It is what it is.

Whether or not Nintendo is surprised by it doesn't change the fact that it's has a negative impact on their business. It doesn't surprise me either, but neither does the failure of the WiiU. Despite what the people in Nintendo say, it could well be that they are all completely aware of how things look in the future. But if they don't do anything to act against it early, by the time it becomes a serious problem they'll just be expressing the same mock(?) shock at their own failure again.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
They should have the balls to create new characters for the games.

Sorry to piggyback more Dragonball Online stuff into here, but that created quite a few new characters. I wonder what the ownership of them is like now post shutting down of the MMO. They could all transplant perfectly into a Make Your Own Fighter version of the MMO's Toriyama penned plot. Would be a breath of fresh air at least.

Shengar

You understand that those "champion" comments are not serious for the most part, right?

Like Glass Rebel said, every week Dave post the same thing and people will awalys fall for it.
It's like weekly tradition in Media Create Sales thread.

EGM1966

So has Japan saved Vita? Europe seems to a have a niche interest too from what I can tell now. But in US it looks truly dead.

Otherwise a week that looks mostly like last week.

what are the chances vita breaks 3m by end of 2014?

I feel warm and cuddly every time I see Gryzz :)

We know nothing of Sony's 2H Vita lineup so far. I'd say it depends on that. Phantasy Star is its biggest announced game for 2014 so far, and thats announced for the 1st half.

Edit: Whoops, the Vita is already over 2.5M. I misread that. Yeah it'll cross that mark before the holidays this year, easily. Maybe Summertime or a little after.

Darius

Banned
what are the chances vita breaks 3m by end of 2014?

If PSVs new basline for 2014 will be the same as the first 5 weeks (20k-40k). The chances for Vita to break 3million (ytd) by the end of the year are
0%

If you are talking about lifetime sales it is more likely of course

That's fine. But if it follows more or less the same trends as the DS and all their other handheld systems, should that be "causing alarm bells to ring" and worry, or should we assume that Nintendo should naturally be prepared for this (even though we are talking about Nintendo here...), and that we should expect their next system within a couple of years?
You don't think a 40% Y/Y decline in the only viable product line the company has, in the region that accounts for 37% of their 3DS hardware sales, is cause for alarm?
Because, looking at consolidated sales, it seems to me a decline in the 4th fiscal year seem to be the norm.
The GBA peaked in hardware in its 3rd full fiscal year, sure. But its 4th full fiscal year coincided with the release of its successor.
The NDS didn't peak until its 4th full fiscal year, and begun declining in its 5th.
The 3DS is looking to have peaked in its 2nd full fiscal year, since the revised projection is 13.5M units and, well it's a Nintendo projection so they probably won't hit it. This in the absence of a successor on the market.

The 3DS is peaking earlier, at a lower level.

(Or I'm reading that wrong and someone can correct me.) EDIT: Oh, I see you're looking at the Japanese shipments specifically; then it's just peaking similarly in terms of timeframe, but at a lower level, despite that the region now accounts for the plurality of system sales.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I don't see SmokyDave trying any lies here. Vita will be hitting the stratosphere soon enough.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I don't see SmokyDave trying any lies here. Vita will be hitting the stratosphere soon enough.

is this sarcasm I'm missing?

not worried at all about the 3DS, it only has to hold the fort until Smash, DQ and MH

Top Bottom