• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2013 (Dec 16 - Dec 22)

The conversation above makes me wonder what shit would happened if Iwata really desperate to push Mario Kart for march release. Donkey Kong is the only Wii U new release before fiscal year right? How popular is it in Japan?
Shoot its almost January, they dont have much time left for a March release date

So any news on zelda numbers?

I had some hope this one might see decent sales in Japan given that it's both a great game and is the most classicish zelda game since the nineties(which'd hopefully lead nintendo to ditch PH/ST style games for good).

Fisico

So any news on zelda numbers?

I had some hope this one might see decent sales in Japan given that it's both a great game and is the most classicish zelda game since the nineties(which'd hopefully lead nintendo to ditch PH/ST style games for good).

First day sellthrough was 60-70% so you can expect the game to be quickly OOS if Nintendo didn't make a second shipment in time.

AmanoBuff

why would it be a bad idea with those titles being released? Maybe those titles are the ones being affected.

Those games are for consoles other than the WiiU, which are killing it in the west, so MK would be directly competing against them, and some of those games are among the most hyped releases of the year. The only ones certain to buy MK then would be mostly people who only have a WiiU IMO, which is the minority.

They can secure a much more comfortable position in the market by releasing MK just a month later.

First day sellthrough was 60-70% so you can expect the game to be quickly OOS if Nintendo didn't make a second shipment in time.

Is there sellthrough info for the other releases of the week?

saichi

Those games are for consoles other than the WiiU, which are killing it in the west, so MK would be directly competing against them, and some of those games are among the most hyped releases of the year.

1. we are in a media create thread.

2. MK8 is among the most hyped release of the year. Infamous 2? Dark Soul 2? FFX HD? Most hyped on GAF doesn't mean most hyped in general.

2. MK8 is among the most hyped release of the year. Infamous 2? Dark Soul 2? FFX HD? Most hyped on GAF doesn't mean most hyped in general.
According to who?
Japan already got their Mario kart fix on the 3ds. This is nsmb all over again

why would it be a bad idea with those titles being released? Maybe those titles are the ones being affected.

Those titles are on more popular systems and have considerable hype to them. Theres just an abundance of good retail games that might effect each others sales.

Considering whats happened with other software why do we expect the high end of the rest of DK historically?

I dunno. We'll see. Maybe 300-400k honestly it could do bad or it could do decent. Either way its not reaching the sales of 900k+.

guek

Banned
Japan already got their Mario kart fix on the 3ds. This is nsmb all over again

hb6BZc0.gif

But yeah April would be better for MK in the west, March in Japan

Being a big game, I just find that cute.

I think it will considering the hype around the game and it will probably be advertised by Sony as the Q1 PS4 game.

But yeah April would be better for MK in the west, March in Japan

Yeah I feel thats the best scenario.

Well I can take a guess that all Nintendo games (mainly big Mario IP) have been underperforming on Wii U as well as on the 3DS. I guess this will happen with Mario Kart not breaking 500k in Japan till the end of the year

MK on GCN took 14 weeks during a holiday to reach 700k sales. I can see MK8 getting there in 30+ weeks lol.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well I can take a guess that all Nintendo games (mainly big Mario IP) have been underperforming on Wii U as well as on the 3DS. I guess this will happen with Mario Kart not breaking 500k in Japan till the end of the year

Wait how is Animal crossing under performing (or Fire emblem, 3D Mario etc)

Mario Kart will probably be in April-May in Japan. It's their last big game until Smash so I imaigne they will want to save it as long as possible without too long of a drought.

wrowa

This discussion is kind of weird. The target audience of a game like Mario Kart is so distinctively different from the target group of a game like Infamous that it feels rather bizarre to compare those two.

Nintendo's games are underperforming on the 3DS? That's certainly a unique opinion. And although Mario Kart will suffer from the Wii U's lack of popularity it will undoubtedly sell more than 500k in Japan. That's not even questionable.

DaBoss

Infamous SS is really the first game on the PS4 really worth getting excited for, so I imagine it does have the hype.

Mario Kart has grown as an IP compared to its days on the GCN, but it will still be held back by the Wii U.

Mr Swine

Banned
This discussion is kind of weird. The target audience of a game like Mario Kart is so distinctively different from the target group of a game like Infamous that it feels rather bizarre to compare those two.

Nintendo's games are underperforming on the 3DS? That's certainly a unique opinion. And although Mario Kart will suffer from the Wii U's lack of popularity it will undoubtedly sell more than 500k in Japan. That's not even questionable.

Well I meant in the sense that they are not selling as well as their DS and Wii Counterparts

Wait how is Animal crossing under performing (or Fire emblem, 3D Mario etc)

Well I didn't mean underperforming in that sense. Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem is selling really well

guek

Banned
Mario_Kart_7_box_art.jpg

This is a real game that came out not long ago on a system that Japan would much rather play on over the wii u. I heard it sold pretty well.

MK7 will have been 2 and a half years old by the time MK8 comes out, you doofus. Not that that'll deter you from furiously pleasuring yourself over the idea of a big wii u game flopping.

-MB-

MK7 will have been 2 and a half years old by the time MK8 comes out, you doofus. Not that that'll deter you from furiously pleasuring yourself over the idea of a big wii u game flopping.

Compared to NSMB Where NSMB2 came out a mere 3 months before U did.

The point was that Nintendo should avoid launching MK8 on the same month in part because of it, which is ridiculous.

Err the point was that in the West they shouldn't due to their being so many titles with some being notable. Its best to avoid that and have a month pretty much all to yourself to get people excited about your game.

AmanoBuff

1. Yes, but we are also discussing the best timeframe to release MK in the west.

2. Infamous, Dark Souls, FF, Metal Gear are popular only among GAFfers? Ok...

Scum

A MK8 bundle for £$199.99/Yen equivalent of £$199.99 might be a great thing to happen. March in Japan, April in EU & US.

Mario_Kart_7_box_art.jpg

This is a real game that came out not long ago on a system that Japan would much rather play on over the wii u. I heard it sold pretty well.

A real game? What the bloody hell is that suppose to mean??

BlackJace

Well, considering they launched ALBW and SM3DW on the launch day of their competitor's console, I don't think they're afraid of what's coming in March.

He'd still be wrong.

What 3DS iteration of a Nintendo franchise has outsold its DS counterpart? Fire Emblem is the only thing I can think of.

Well, considering they launched ALBW and SM3DW on the launch day of their competitor's console, I don't think they're afraid of what's coming in March.

That was stupid. No doubt their sales were hurt. Seriously what were Nintendo thinking with that move?

Those games are for consoles other than the WiiU, which are killing it in the west, so MK would be directly competing against them, and some of those games are among the most hyped releases of the year. The only ones certain to buy MK then would be mostly people who only have a WiiU IMO, which is the minority.

They can secure a much more comfortable position in the market by releasing MK just a month later.

Let's see what PS4/Xbone hardware numbers are like come Feb/March shall we before declaring that they are 'killing it'. There are numerous reports online that you can just walk into shops in America and Europe and buy them straight off the shelves already and it's not even 2014 yet, it's far from the Wii in 2006 like some people on here suggested at launch.

Also with the games you listed earlier, a few of them are available on systems 160 million people already own.

I foresee extremely slow sales for both of them once the first 4 or 5 million hardcore gamers buy them, most people would laugh if you suggested spending $400/$500 on a games console (closer to $600/$700 with a couple of games and online access) outside of the Holiday period and most of the people who owned PS360 will be waiting at least until they hit sub $300 which won't be until late in 2015, maybe even late 2016. It will take those consoles until at least MK8's release to catch the WiiU lifetime sales which by then could be around 6 million units.

With the way the industry is going (the mass market quite happy playing mobile platforms for their gaming fix) I wouldn't be surprised at all if by late summer all three consoles are struggling to hit the 10 million mark and people are again prophesising the death of the home console... again.

I don't think it matters when they release MK8 tbh, March or April, it will do what it does and without a bundle or a decent price cut esp in America I don't see it having much of an effect except maybe a small sales bump for a single month. If Nintendo were smart they would realize that a $249 WiiU with MK8 and a lot of marketing could potentially reverse the first years poor sales but I don't know if they would be prepared to eat giving MK8 away for free, esp as they are already giving away NSMB but if it reverses the consoles fortunes then it's well worth it.

AmanoBuff

No Vita game? Not even FFX? That's really bad :/

Despite how good and popular it is, I doubt a port of a FF game could beat an original entry on the monster hunter genre that is exclusive to the system.

And besides, the game was only released 5 days ago.

Kandinsky

Seriously and we arent even talking about actual big sellers like AC, CoD or GTA. Dude Nintendo should totally be afraid of DS and Infamous, totally.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What 3DS iteration of a Nintendo franchise has outsold its DS counterpart? Fire Emblem is the only thing I can think of.
3D Land should be tracking very close or beating Mario 64 DS, Animal crossing should also be pretty close though I'm uncertain of absolute numbers.

Top Bottom