• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2013 (Dec 16 - Dec 22)

Edit: what I clearly meant is that Nintendo games on the Wii U aren't selling as well as their counterparts on Wii//DS/3DS

Why would they considering the WiiU WW install base is officially sitting at 3.9 million compared to 100/150/35 million for the others ?. People need to stop comparing Wii/DS sales numbers against WiiU/3DS imo, it's ludicrous and the video game market as a whole is in a very different position to 2006 - 2010.

With regards to Infamous Second Son, didn't the sequel barely sell a million units Worldwide on an install base of 60 million consoles ?... I don't see any PS4 exclusive moving a large amount of consoles outside of Uncharted, Gran Turismo or God of War.

MK7 will have been 2 and a half years old by the time MK8 comes out, you doofus. Not that that'll deter you from furiously pleasuring yourself over the idea of a big wii u game flopping.
Especially when you consider this:

MK SC(GBA)- Summer 2001
MKDD (GCN)- Holiday 2003
MKDS- Holiday 2005
MKWii- Spring 2008
MK7 (3DS)- Holiday 2011
MK8 (Wii U)- Spring 2014

Since 2001 there's been a new MK every 2-2 1/2 years

What 3DS iteration of a Nintendo franchise has outsold its DS counterpart? Fire Emblem is the only thing I can think of.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong places but according to Famitsu numbers, Pokémon X/Y are performing better than Diamond/Pearl (3,523,342 by Week 11) and Animal Crossing: New Leaf is performing better than Wild World (3,836,890 by Week 59).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

guek

Banned
With regards to Infamous Second Son, didn't the sequel barely sell a million units Worldwide on an install base of 60 million consoles ?... I don't see any PS4 exclusive moving a large amount of consoles outside of Uncharted, Gran Turismo or God of War.

New gen, new rules. PS4 is already off to a much better start than PS3 had in the same timeframe. This is a bit OT though since we're in the MC thread and infamous wont make a big splash in Japan.

Uhhh, get people to buy their products in the busiest day for video games ever? The sales were most likely helped by that than hurt...

Eh, it released a week before BF in US and no way was the 29th the busiest shopping day in EU.

No way does releasing your games the same time as the launch of a competing console help sales.

ALBW sold 400k+ in 9 days. Seems good to me.

I never said it was bad just it may have hurt sales.

3D Land should be tracking very close or beating Mario 64 DS, Animal crossing should also be pretty close though I'm uncertain of absolute numbers.

I specifically said counterpart a la MK DS - MK7, NSMB - NSMB2. A new 3D mario is not the same as a port of an old one lol

Mario Kart is bigger than all of those, though.

Not when its on the WiiU

MK7 will have been 2 and a half years old by the time MK8 comes out, you doofus. Not that that'll deter you from furiously pleasuring yourself over the idea of a big wii u game flopping.

How many Nintendo games flopping and failing to increase Wii U sales will it take for you to get the picture? MK8 will change nothing, nor will it hurt the sales of other big games coming out in March. This isn't wishful thinking. This is taking previous data and making inferences from there.

Furiously pleasuring myself? Grow up. Wii U games flopping isn't an "idea". It's reality. Guess what? I don't give a shit either way. I doubt you can say the same.

guek

Banned
How many Nintendo games flopping and failing to increase Wii U sales will it take for you to get the picture? MK8 will change nothing, nor will it hurt the sales of other big games coming out in March. This isn't wishful thinking. This is taking previous data and making inferences from there.

Furiously pleasuring myself? Grow up. Wii U games flopping isn't an "idea". It's reality. Guess what? I don't give a shit either way. I doubt you can say the same.
You're liable to start chaffing at the rate you're goin ;-)

sörine

Banned
What 3DS iteration of a Nintendo franchise has outsold its DS counterpart? Fire Emblem is the only thing I can think of.
Animal Crossing and Mario Kart are both outperforming their DS counterparts. They might fall behind at some point but they haven't yet I believe.

The only 3DS sequels that have fallen behind their DS counterparts that I'm aware of are NSMB, Nintendogs and Brain Training.

sörine;95403202 said:
Animal Crossing and Mario Kart are both outperforming their DS counterparts. They might fall behind at some point but they haven't yet I believe.

The only 3DS sequels that have fallen behind their DS counterparts that I'm aware of are NSMB, Nintendogs and Brain Training.

Pokemon is probably behind, no? Didn't diamond and pearl sell like monsters?

guek

Banned
sörine;95403202 said:

I think Mario and Luigi as well

saichi

2. Infamous, Dark Souls, FF, Metal Gear are popular only among GAFfers? Ok...

The problem is these titles are more popular in your mind than they actually are. Mario Kart on GNC sold almost 7 million WW/over 800K in Japan and that's the low bar for Mario Kart games. Which of the titles you listed are gonna sell half of that WW or in Japan?

Why would the most popular title by far to avoid the smaller titles?

It doesn't matter. Releasing MK in the west at the same time as those other games will definitely hurt its sales, especially among those who own a WiiU + another platform.

You are talking about such a small number of people.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Eh, it released a week before BF in US and no way was the 29th the busiest shopping day in EU.

No way does releasing your games the same time as the launch of a competing console help sales.

I never said it was bad just it may have hurt sales.

I specifically said counterpart a la MK DS - MK7, NSMB - NSMB2. A new 3D mario is not the same as a port of an old one lol

Not when its on the WiiU

Nintendo tends not release multiple franchises of mainline Mario across generations outside of the NSMB. Nes had super Mario bros 1-3, snes had world Yoshi's island, 64 had 64, gamecube had sunshine etc.

So your point really makes no sense unless your being purposefully obtuse. 3D lands 3D counterpart was 64. That 64 port sold more than most games on the DS so I don't see how that doesn't count.

Takao

Banned
The conversation stemmed from hype. I don't think it's far fetched to say that MGSV and Dark Souls II have more hype than Mario Kart, even if the later will easily outsell the two combined. Hype = pre-release anticipation. The kind of audience that buys into Mario Kart isn't big on the whole hype train.

The conversation stemmed from hype. I don't think it's far fetched to say that MGSV and Dark Souls II have more hype than Mario Kart, even if the later will easily outsell the two combined. Hype = pre-release anticipation. The kind of audience that buys into Mario Kart isn't big on the whole hype train.

have you seen any Nintendo Direct thread :p

I hope people don't judge MK8 sales on it's first week numbers, as we saw with Mario 3D World even on WiiU the sales are much more spread out. MK8 will sell a million units in Japan alone by Jan 1st 2015 IMO.

Eh.....barring some kind of bundle this seems difficult to see although I imagine it will be close.

Wait, why are we talking about Infamous hype in a Media Create thread?

I know mpl's scenario is a joke, but the quarter meeting is in late January and they are not announcing the date to their biggest game of the year a month out. I expect Mario Kart in April for golden week in Japan and to sell throughout Q1 as a positive note in the Q1 financials like people mentioned.

I thought Bowser;s Inside story easily outperformed Dream Team

DaBoss

When you have most potential customers going into stores for video games, then it would be one of the biggest days for video game shopping. I don't see how it will hurt sales to have more people coming into stores.

I was also only referring to the NA since ALBW and SM3DW released on the same day as the Xbox One, wasn't really sure about EU, I only know the PS4 released on the 29th.

Do u honestly believe noone is going to buy Mario Kart? It trended top 10 on Twitter after the last Direct

Takao

Banned
Wait didn't you just say we were talking about hype and not sales?

Hype feeds into sales. Games with gigantic debuts usually have a lot of pre-release hype. Something like Mario Kart will start off with a decent number, and then climb to an enormous total.

He used Nintendo Directs as evidence that the Mario Kart audience gets hyped. I responded by bringing up The Wonderful 101's sales, where the only hype that game received came from those Directs.

When you have most potential customers going into stores for video games, then it would be one of the biggest days for video game shopping. I don't see how it will hurt sales to have more people coming into stores.

I was also only referring to the NA since ALBW and SM3DW released on the same day as the Xbox One, wasn't really sure about EU, I only know the PS4 released on the 29th.

This is some backwards logic. When customers are rushing to stores to buy a PS4 and XB1 they are not suddenly going to look at 3D world and buy it.

Nintendo tends not release multiple franchises of mainline Mario across generations outside of the NSMB. Nes had super Mario bros 1-3, snes had world Yoshi's island, 64 had 64, gamecube had sunshine etc.

So your point really makes no sense unless your being purposefully obtuse. 3D lands 3D counterpart was 64. That 64 port sold more than most games on the DS so I don't see how that doesn't count.

Please stop being stupid.

Any sane person can tell the difference between what 3D land is and what 64 DS was.

Ohhh wanna bet?.

:D

Obviously MK8 will outsell them in the long run. In a conversation about which month to launch in and the difference between March and April, I was talking about 1st month sales.

I responded by bringing up The Wonderful 101's sales, where the only hype that game received came from those Directs.

Nintendo sent that game to die. If they had featured it at E3 instead of Nintendoland lol it might have gotten much better exposure.

sense

The problem is these titles are more popular in your mind than they actually are. Mario Kart on GNC sold almost 7 million WW/over 800K in Japan and that's the low bar for Mario Kart games. Which of the titles you listed are gonna sell half of that WW or in Japan?

seeing the situation the wii u is in and the sales of mario 3d world from last month npd i am willing to predict that all those titles will outsell mario kart 8 in their first month in NA and EU atleast. maybe if nintendo does another price cut and bundle the game for 199 it can surprise me with the numbers. just a fun prediction. don't come after me if i am unaware of mario kart power.i personally think the game and the wii u in general would do much better if it stays away from march and come out in a slower month like april or may

sörine

Banned
Pokemon is probably behind, no? Didn't diamond and pearl sell like monsters?
It's roughly on par I thought? BW was the monster.

It's legging well though. Could still match M&L2 still but M&L3 is out of the question.

Yeah, it's simpler to name the ones that have done better than on DS than to list all the ones that have done worse. 3DS is not going to replicate DS in Japan, but it's a roaring success there, nonetheless.
The significant 1st party drop is mainly due to Touch Generations though. More core oriented and some crossover games are still matching and exceeding what those series did on DS. It's hard to say 1st party games are underperfirming as a general trend considering that, it's more about a market shift than specific tentpoles doing worse.

AmanoBuff

The problem with the above is you are not following the conversation and instead prefer to make stuff up and write based on that.

1. I never said those titles were more popular than MK. Fact.
2. I'm talking about launch window, not lifetime sales. Fact.
3. You told me (and keep doing so) those other titles are only popular among GAFfers, and they are not. Fact.

Perhaps for you a game needs to sell better than MK ltd to be considered popular outside of GAF?

Again. Launch window.

Also simple logic. Why make your game share attention with others when you can have all the attention for yourself the next month? Especially when your game is selling on the least popular console in NA that is struggling to get any traction besides the holidays.

So you are telling me that the number of people who only own a WiiU in NA is far larger than those who own another console + WiiU? Well, your guess is as good as mine.

I admit this is just a guess based on what I see about the market on a daily basis, but I'm not sure the market in NA abounds with sole WiiU owners.

I'd love to see some data on that though, although I don't think we have any.

maxiell

MK8 is absolutely the biggest bullet the Wii U will fire for the foreseeable future, and getting anywhere near Infamous would be a mistake. Fortunately there are no signs that's in the offing.

It's not that Infamous is going to do anything in Japan, it's that a worldwide launch should be status quo for games this big and making it as huge as possible is necessary for the console.

The problem with the above is you are not following the conversation and instead prefer to make stuff up and write based on that.

1. I never said those titles were more popular than MK. Fact.
2. I'm talking about launch window, not lifetime sales. Fact.
3. You told me (and keep doing so) those other titles are only popular among GAFfers, and they are not. Fact.

Perhaps for you a game needs to sell better than MK ltd to be considered popular outside of GAF?

Again. Launch window.

Also simple logic. Why make your game share attention with others when you can have all the attention for yourself the next month? Especially when your game is selling on the least popular console in NA that is struggling to get any traction besides the holidays.

So you are telling me that the number of people who only own a WiiU in NA is far larger than those who own another console + WiiU? Well, your guess is as good as mine.

I admit this is just a guess based on what I see about the market on a daily basis, but I'm not sure the market in NA abounds with sole WiiU owners.

I'd love to see some data on that though, although I don't think we have any.

Thank you. Someone that understands my line of thought.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Thank you. Someone that understands my line of thought.
The original discussion was japan based, and the majority of the competition cited was western based. Then, topic shifted into a mess.
Btw, mk will sell but will not save wiiu, so everyone calm down ;p

Hype feeds into sales. Games with gigantic debuts usually have a lot of pre-release hype. Something like Mario Kart will start off with a decent number, and then climb to an enormous total.

He used Nintendo Directs as evidence that the Mario Kart audience gets hyped. I responded by bringing up The Wonderful 101's sales, where the only hype that game received came from those Directs.
Games like MGS and DS need hype to sell, MK doesn't.

MK8 is absolutely the biggest bullet the Wii U will fire for the foreseeable future, and getting anywhere near Infamous would be a mistake. Fortunately there are no signs that's in the offing.

It's not that Infamous is going to do anything in Japan, it's that a worldwide launch should be status quo for games this big and making it as huge as possible is necessary for the console.
Infamous? really now

with all this talk about avoiding other games you'd think GTA, CoD, BF, and AC were all launching in March
but no, it's freaking MGS, Dark Souls II, and Infamous
seriously?

Direct is only watched by core gamers and Nintendo Fans it has no broad appeal whatsoever. It's like marketing on youtube but with less exposure lol.

that was just a joke about how ridiculous those threads get, especially the day before the actual Direct

Well according to my recent findings, here are the developers attached to each LBX game with some interesting names.

LBX (PSP) = Tri-Crecendo
LBX Boost (PSP) = Tri-Crecendo
LBX W (PSP/Vita) = Tri-Ace
LBX Baku Boost (3DS) = Climax JP
LBX W SC (3DS) = Tri Ace
LBX Wars (3DS) = Tri Ace

Yeah, just stumbled upon Climax's website and saw they did LBX BB 3DS and a bit ago that Tri-Crecendo did the first two releases on PSP, we knew that Tri Ace worked on the rest, but heh, the more you know.

Top Bottom