• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2015 (Dec 21 - Dec 27)

Durante

I haven't followed the FExSMT crossover game, what the hell happened there? It seems to be doing worse than either FE or SMT!

Ridley327

Nintendo really ought to look into improving their console RPG situation.

I haven't followed the FExSMT crossover game, what the hell happened there? It seems to be doing worse than either FE or SMT!

The last time that RPGs did well in Japan on Nintendo consoles was back on the SNES. Nintendo kinda let that entire crowd go over to Playstation and they've had little reason to come back.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Incredible Wii U numbers again, selling an eighth of its total sales this year in a single week...
Also really happy to see Mario & Luigi 5 reaching the 60-80% bracket now. Considering another somewhat strong week is approaching, it might get into the precious 80-100% bracket and not be considered a failure by Nintendo. Great game and I would be sad to see the M&L series come to a close.

Takao

Banned
And those are great number for #fe and shows that there is certainly an audience for otaku games on wiiu, since it did the same as the idea factory games do on other consoles.

If an Atlus game of considerable production values on Wii U sold about the same as the average Idea Factory RPG on a PS platform, what would an Idea Factory RPG sell on Wii U?

ZoddGutts

Dem #FE sales. That's what what happens when you make a Vita game not for the Vita. Seriously Atlus could've made this game easily without Fire Emblem franchise involve instead had Persona characters in it and it would've sold more than 3 times as much on the Vita. Not sure what Atlus was thinking. Persona 4 Dancing all Night sold 94K in it's first week in comparison.

Holy shit at SMT X FE.

I thought Fire Emblem was fairly popular in Japan?

It is, but I feel like the presentation of the game might have obfuscated things a bit. Its an SMT styled game with FE themed characters, rather than SMT characters meeting FE characters, which would be the more blatant gimmick. It certainly doesn't seem like it was massively stocked either - less than 60k copies if I'm doing the maths right (apologies, kinda new to this).

Still, Wii U hardware numbers are pretty damn good (relatively speaking), and Splatoon and Super Mario Maker are still selling a tonne, so I doubt Nintendo will be too upset. Should be interesting what (if any) sales they'll be able to retain after the holiday is gone.

Tadaima

It will be interesting to see what happens to Wii U into 2016.

Though it will do very little in Japan anyway, it seems that it was a sensible move on Nintendo's part to delay Star Fox.

Ridley327

Dem #FE sales. That's what what happens when you make a Vita game not for the Vita. Seriously Atlus could've made this game easily without Fire Emblem franchise involve instead had Persona characters in it and it would've sold more than 3 times as much on the Vita. Not sure what Atlus was thinking.

Nintendo funded it, so it's not like Atlus is the one taking the hit here, nor was it a situation where it was going to be anything other than a Nintendo-bound title.

Spiegel

Dem #FE sales. That's what what happens when you make a Vita game not for the Vita. Seriously Atlus could've made this game easily without Fire Emblem franchise involve instead had Persona characters in it and it would've sold more than 3 times as much on the Vita. Not sure what Atlus was thinking.

They were thinking that Nintendo was not going to pay for a Vita game

DNAbro

I'm pretty sure Nintendo helped out with it.

JayEH

It is, but I feel like the presentation of the game might have obfuscated things a bit. Its an SMT styled game with FE themed characters, rather than SMT characters meeting FE characters, which would be the more blatant gimmick. It certainly doesn't seem like it was massively stocked either - less than 60k copies if I'm doing the maths right (apologies, kinda new to this).

Still, Wii U hardware numbers are pretty damn good (relatively speaking), and Splatoon and Super Mario Maker are still selling a tonne, so I doubt Nintendo will be too upset. Should be interesting what (if any) sales they'll be able to retain after the holiday is gone.

Yeah odd choice to even make this a "cross over" game. They could have easily made this just another SMT game or hell call it Persona: subtitle if they want the bigger fan base (I assume Persona does better than the mainline games?).

Sandfox

If an Atlus game of considerable production values on Wii U sold about the same as the average Idea Factory RPG on a PS platform, what would an Idea Factory RPG sell on Wii U?
Gotta build up that audience lol.
I'm pretty sure its a combination of Nintendo footing the bill and them wanting to create a new frachise.

To develop a jRPG with the collaboration of Nintendo? Also, the project likely started before Wii U was even released.

The last time that RPGs did well in Japan on Nintendo consoles was back on the SNES. Nintendo kinda let that entire crowd go over to Playstation and they've had little reason to come back.

jRPGs sold / are selling really well on GB, GBA, DS and 3DS, though. Also, GC and Wii had some success stories in the genre, such as Tales of Symphonia, Dragon Quest X.

Rymuth

Gundam Force did better than I expected
Great hardware all around, except for Xbone which somehow did not move
Splatoon, Splatoon, Splatoooon! I love it!
Oh dear me, #FE, dear me....

Aaaaand that's it. Nothing left but to wait for the yearly numbers. We've spent some great times together, ladies and germs. Here's to another year!

Ridley327

It needs more depth. Add Paper Mario.

Pretty sure PM has more sales potential than FE# or XCX. And it might cost less to make.

I think the bigger problem is that Nintendo has long mistaken the need for certain IPs on their console as being filled with new IPs that are sort of like them. It's fine for #FE to exist as an spinoff to something like Persona, but you're going to attract Persona fans if you don't actually have Persona to go along with it.

Asd202

Amazing Wii U sales, and Splatoon and Mario Maker WOW... #FE is going to sell better in the West... Good week overall

So what was called an "Otaku" game in this thread will do better outside Japan? Does that mean there's more Otaku outside of Japan? What a time to be alive. But seriously I don't expect #FE to do any good in the West.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Regarding #FE I just hope Nintendo does not blame Fire Emblem. What I see from #FE has nothing to do with FE and I, as a huge FE fan, actually think it looks like utter shit. Certainly no SRPG goodness - and said gameplay is the reason I like FE, not their stereotypical character designs.

TheMoon

Because it's neither an FE nor an SMT game and not really a crossover but its entirely own thing taking some elements from both series.

Sandfox

Regarding #FE I just hope Nintendo does not blame Fire Emblem. What I see from #FE has nothing to do with FE and I, as a huge FE fan, actually think it looks like utter shit. Certainly no SRPG goodness - and said gameplay is the reason I like FE, not their stereotypical character designs.

It would make no sense for them to do that.

Eolz

I don't see them blaming FE anytime soon after the push it got thanks to Awakening (Smash, amiibos, merchandise, Fates, etc).

Oregano

It's not - Puzzle & Dragons Z had a bigger drop if I remember correctly.

Also, MHX increasing shows its stregth with respect to MH4G.

Pretty good hold imho

I'm not sure it'll a million though. It's got to hit a big drop when the holidays are over.

I think the bigger problem is that Nintendo has long mistaken the need for certain IPs on their console as being filled with new IPs that are sort of like them. It's fine for #FE to exist as an spinoff to something like Persona, but you're going to attract Persona fans if you don't actually have Persona to go along with it.

Oh wow, I think you've absolutely hit the nail on the head.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Splatoon is almost a new god-tier franchise in Japan; imagine an handheld version

Probably could achieve Monster Hunter like sales on a popular handheld.

Next Splatoon will be nuts if it is on Handheld and Console.

Ricky 7

#FE should have stuck to the original idea instead of this high school/idol/Persona mess they went with. Probably won't have sold better but at aleast it would have had a better chance in the west. A bit early to say I know but I doubt it's gonna do any better if or when it does get released here.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
08./09. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam <RPG> (Nintendo) {2015.12.03} (¥5.076) - 55.583 / 174.674 <60-80%> (+43%)

Holidays are really helping this game.

And yet, IIRC there are still 100,000 copies on shelves.

Ridley327

jRPGs sold / are selling really well on GB, GBA, DS and 3DS, though. Also, GC and Wii had some success stories in the genre, such as Tales of Symphonia, Dragon Quest X.
The continuing handheld success for RPGs is proving my point, though, since those platforms offered up the big franchises as well as new ones. Nintendo consoles have really offered up just the latter, and that's a big problem for drawing an audience for the genre.

#FE should have stuck to the original idea instead of this high school/idol/Persona mess they went with. Probably won't have sold better but at aleast it would have had a better chance in the west. A bit early to say I know but I doubt it's gonna do any better if or when it does get released here.

what original idea? you mean the stuff that fans think of the original idea which isn't true? lol

I think I missed something. What was the original idea?

udivision

Do we know that wasn't the original idea?

ZoddGutts

If that's supposed to be a new franchise than yikes, it straight up flatlined. I know Nintendo funded it but it feels like Atlus wanted to make this type of game and could've done it without Nintendo and be successful at it using their own (Persona/SMT) characters. This was just an all around failure for both parties here involved.

Bruno MB

I would have never expected some months ago that Wii U would have such a good December sales. Our predictions have been crushed. Highest one I've seen for Wii U had it at 210.000 units. The average was around 135.000.

And Splatoon is already at 1,2 million including eShop sales. I always thought that some past predictions were crazy high (>1,5 million) especially when it seemed the game showed signs of slowing down, but I will have to give this one to Ryng_tolu. But please, enough with flooding the boards about your expectations for Splatoon :p

Oregano

If that's supposed to be a new franchise than yikes, it straight up flatlined. I know Nintendo funded it but it feels like Atlus wanted to make this type of game and could've done it without Nintendo and be successful at it using their own (Persona/SMT) characters. This was just an all around failure for both parties here involved.

When they started development on this game their parent company was going bust and Fire Emblem had just exploded in popularity.

Also look how many HD RPGs Atlus has published on their own....

Nibel

Fire Emblem is a top franchise in Japan; it did fantastic on the 3DS.

They only have to blame themselves; who takes two of the most beloved franchises and turns it into a Persona-fied idol RPG that is filled to the brim with fan service? This game's destiny been sealed the day it was formally reintroduced.

Top Bottom